+ Reply to Thread
Page 463 of 590 FirstFirst ... 363 413 453 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 473 513 563 ... LastLast
Results 11,551 to 11,575 of 14738
  1. #11551
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by shadyridr View Post
    Pretty bold considering they wouldn't play a 163 game to decide the division.
    Yes they would if teams finish tied for the division.

  2. #11552

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Even if all that happened, no one would care a week later because of the very likely possibility that they would just face each other in the ALDS, and that's what people would remember. Keep that all the same and make it game 5 of the ALDS and now you've got something.
    If Yankees won the division and Red Sox won WC play-in game, would they face each other in ALDS?
    Iím thinking the Yankees winning % would be below the Astros winning % at that point since the Sox would have to come back to earth and the Astros could keep on their winning ways. Right now Astros -Yanks in virtual tie.

  3. #11553
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    If Yankees won the division and Red Sox won WC play-in game, would they face each other in ALDS?
    Iím thinking the Yankees winning % would be below the Astros winning % at that point since the Sox would have to come back to earth and the Astros could keep on their winning ways. Right now Astros -Yanks in virtual tie.
    Astros have their own issues. Suddenly, their overall Pitching isn't as scary-looking as it was until recently. And Verlander especially so. And a huge portion of their lineup is on the DL, although several guys are close to returning.

  4. #11554
    Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    12 strikeouts in 597 ABs is still 12 strikeouts in 597 ABs. Slice it however you want. Can't sabermetric that away. Don't care how the game is played, there isn't a single player in the majors today skilled enough to go that many ABs with that few strikeouts. Not even remotely close.
    Except you need to add here that there isnít a chance in hell that an in-his-prime Yogi Berra wouldnít strike out dozens more times than he did that one season he only struck out 12 times had he batted against todayís pitchers.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

  5. #11555

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    There's an odd dichotomy with strikeouts. For hitters they're considered just another out, no different than a groundball to second. Pitchers who strikeout batters a lot are highly valued though because it prevents the ball from being put in play.

    The second fact should be indicative that putting the ball on play is better than striking out, but that's not the case when evaluating hitters or with the mindset of hitting with 2 strikes anymore.
    #HarperWatch

  6. #11556

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    There's an odd dichotomy with strikeouts. For hitters they're considered just another out, no different than a groundball to second. Pitchers who strikeout batters a lot are highly valued though because it prevents the ball from being put in play.

    The second fact should be indicative that putting the ball on play is better than striking out, but that's not the case when evaluating hitters or with the mindset of hitting with 2 strikes anymore.
    Interesting and good point.

  7. #11557

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    There's an odd dichotomy with strikeouts. For hitters they're considered just another out, no different than a groundball to second. Pitchers who strikeout batters a lot are highly valued though because it prevents the ball from being put in play.

    The second fact should be indicative that putting the ball on play is better than striking out, but that's not the case when evaluating hitters or with the mindset of hitting with 2 strikes anymore.
    Yep. Looking forward some day to a return of sanity where strikeouts are seen for what they actually are again. These all-or-nothing type lineups are frustrating to watch.

  8. #11558

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    The "a strikeout is the same as any other out" is the one thing I fundamentally disagree with analytics on. Defense isn't perfect -as we ourselves saw Sunday night. A strikeout would have ended the game, but the ball in play tied it because of the error
    Last edited by spanky185; 08-10-18 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Fat finger autocorrect
    #HarperWatch

  9. #11559

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    The "a strikeout is the same as any other out" is the one thing I fundamentally disagree with analytics on. Defense isn't perfect -as we ourselves saw Sunday night. A strikeout would have ended the game, but the ball in play tied it because of the error
    It depends on the situation obviously but striking out also means no double play.

  10. #11560
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    The "a strikeout is the same as any other out" is the one thing I fundamentally disagree with analytics on. Defense isn't perfect -as we ourselves saw Sunday night. A strikeout would have ended the game, but the ball in play tied it because of the error
    On the other hand, strikeouts run up the pitch count. A good sinkerballer like Wang could get a bunch of ground-outs using fewer pitches than somebody racking up Ks.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  11. #11561

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    On the other hand, strikeouts run up the pitch count. A good sinkerballer like Wang could get a bunch of ground-outs using fewer pitches than somebody racking up Ks.
    Yup, and with Judge specifically, a guy who has taken incredible flak for his number of strikeouts, it is all part of his approach and has helped lead to an insane number of walks and runs scored.

  12. #11562

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Astros have their own issues. Suddenly, their overall Pitching isn't as scary-looking as it was until recently. And Verlander especially so. And a huge portion of their lineup is on the DL, although several guys are close to returning.
    Will be interesting to see if Yanks or Astros have better season record. Last 10 games for Houston are against the Angels, Jays and O's. Last 10 games for Yanks are against O's, Rays and Red Sox.

  13. #11563
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Tonight's Lineup vs. Texas.

    Shane Robinson gets the night off!

    Phil Rizzuto SS
    Billy Martin 2B
    Mickey Mantle CF
    Yogi Berra C
    Tommy Henrich RF
    Charlie Keller LF
    Bobby Brown 3B
    Joe Collins 1B
    Allie Reynolds P
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

  14. #11564
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    In order to host the playoff Yankees would have to win 5 out of their last 6 games against Boston which probably means Severino pitches at Fenway the last weekend.
    Of course, that also probably means that Sale would not be available either.

    Regardless, since you again force me to revise my bold prediction.

    In a completely unseen trade, on September 30 Brian Cashman reacquires Chasen Shreve.

    On October 1st, Aaron Boone, wearing a bullet proof vest and surrounded by NYPD riot police with bullet proof shields, names Shreve as the starting pitcher for the 163rd and deciding game.

    Shreve amazes the Yankee faithful, throwing 7.2 no hit innings. He is removed after his left arm literally falls off having thrown his 88th pitch of the outing. In an amazing ruling, crew chief Joe West rules that the arm falling off was not an injury, after which the entire Yankee coaching staff in the dugout is thrown out for charging West and arguing the ruling.

    Bullpen coach Mike Harkey, who was not thrown out by West, assumes the managerial and pitching coach rules - in a stunning decision, Harkey, not trusting the best bullpen in baseball, calls upon backup catcher Austin Romine to take the mound. Romine responds by striking out J. D. Martinez to end the 8th inning, then sets the Red Sox down in order in the ninth inning, setting the stage for the heroics of Ronald F. Torreyes.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  15. #11565
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Of course, that also probably means that Sale would not be available either.

    Regardless, since you again force me to revise my bold prediction.

    In a completely unseen trade, on September 30 Brian Cashman reacquires Chasen Shreve.

    On October 1st, Aaron Boone, wearing a bullet proof vest and surrounded by NYPD riot police with bullet proof shields, names Shreve as the starting pitcher for the 163rd and deciding game.

    Shreve amazes the Yankee faithful, throwing 7.2 no hit innings. He is removed after his left arm literally falls off having thrown his 88th pitch of the outing. In an amazing ruling, crew chief Joe West rules that the arm falling off was not an injury, after which the entire Yankee coaching staff in the dugout is thrown out for charging West and arguing the ruling.

    Bullpen coach Mike Harkey, who was not thrown out by West, assumes the managerial and pitching coach rules - in a stunning decision, Harkey, not trusting the best bullpen in baseball, calls upon backup catcher Austin Romine to take the mound. Romine responds by striking out J. D. Martinez to end the 8th inning, then sets the Red Sox down in order in the ninth inning, setting the stage for the heroics of Ronald F. Torreyes.
    You're getting better at this. Keep trying though.

  16. #11566
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    You're getting better at this. Keep trying though.
    I am having some fun with these scenarios. I have a feeling a Stephen Drew appearance may be forthcoming.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  17. #11567
    Member
    neyugnt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Lake Forest, CA

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I am having some fun with these scenarios. I have a feeling a Stephen Drew appearance may be forthcoming.
    Logically, the return of the Drew would be after they immediately DFA Ronald F. Torreyes following his heroics.

  18. #11568
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by neyugnt View Post
    Logically, the return of the Drew would be after they immediately DFA Ronald F. Torreyes following his heroics.
    Logic - we're talking logic here?

    - channeling my internal Allen Iverson
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  19. #11569

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Yes they would if teams finish tied for the division.
    If the Sox and Yanks finish tied for the division and both qualify for the WC then there would NOT be a game 163.

    Actually I see they changed this in 2012. Carry on. Sorry

  20. #11570
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    I would rather see Torreyes in right instead of Robinson. At least the at bats would be competitive
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

  21. #11571
    Member
    neyugnt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Lake Forest, CA

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Logic - we're talking logic here?

    - channeling my internal Allen Iverson
    You're right, there's logic and then there's the Yankees logic.

    The Yankees logic that for sure calls upon Neil Walker, the home run corker, he of the back to back and belly to belly, and from both sides of the plate home run god last night, will surely be finding himself a nice comfy seat on the bench tonight.

  22. #11572

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    If Stantonís not back in RF tonight, I think itíll be Walker there.

  23. #11573
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Actually facing a lefty starter tonight.

  24. #11574

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    If Stanton’s not back in RF tonight, I think it’ll be Walker there.
    Wrong, Walker isn't playing today and Stanton is still the DH with Robinson in RF.

  25. #11575

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Wrong, Walker isn't playing today and Stanton is still the DH with Robinson in RF.
    The fan favorite Shane Robinson

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts