+ Reply to Thread
Page 276 of 478 FirstFirst ... 176 226 266 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 286 326 376 ... LastLast
Results 6,876 to 6,900 of 11933
    Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JLJ81 View Post
    I've always thought he was overrated and whomever gives him this next stupid contract will regret it.

Never had a 100 RBI season
    Only posted an OPS over .900 twice in 6 seasons
    Has only played in 140 or more games in a season twice
    Only hit more than 30 home runs once

I don't think he's more valuable than Jose Altuve and they are saying he will get more than twice the money Altuve got? No thanks.
    Altuve’s peak is now. They’re going to pay him $151m for 5 years after he turns 30. Even considering how he signed a below market extension, the Astros are still going to have to likely pay $29m per year for a slap hitter towards the end of that deal.

Anyway, those two years you cited re: Harper’s OPS were 1.109 and 1.008. His career OPS is .900, he bats left handed and he’s 25 years of age. His best years are ahead of him, and already has one of the all time best seasons under his belt.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    If I'm rooting for the Nats, I'm disappointed that Harper took himself out so quickly. Usually players will try to stick it out for a little while. No, Harper pulled a Roberto Duran. No mas. Get me out of this game. Looked like he was about to cry as he left the field.

He took a 90 MPH pitch off his unpadded elbow (where either of us would’ve probably been knocked unconcious ), and stayed in the game. Later, he takes an 89 MPH pitch off the instep of his foot, attempted to give it a go and he’s freakin Roberto Duran when it’s apparent he can’t?

I wonder if Judge will have the same reaction once he gets one in the rib cage tonight.

And interesting that you mentioned retaliation on Judge. I was fully expecting one in the bottom 8th, but there was none. Not even against Didi who had already hit 2 HRs and did that little bat flip on the second bomb.

If there's none tonight, I'll be convinced that they hate Harper.

NYYF Legend

Someone is definitely getting plunked tonight.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

If they do retaliate, it would be Monday at home. A lot of teams do it that way.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    I think the Yankees pick up his option. It's a relative bargain.

Just like Sheffield.
    While the option is a relative bargain, is there a place for him on the roster next year? The answer likely will depend on what happens during this season's trade period, but I suspect no.

Gardner has stated he wants to be a Yankee for life, so picking up the option and trading him seems a low possibility, since he will become a 10 & 5 player this month.

Unless the team moves Hicks (to free up CF) or moves Frazier (to eliminate the replacement in LF), I question if he has a role on this team next season.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Altuve’s peak is now. They’re going to pay him $151m for 5 years after he turns 30. Even considering how he signed a below market extension, the Astros are still going to have to likely pay $29m per year for a slap hitter towards the end of that deal.

Anyway, those two years you cited re: Harper’s OPS were 1.109 and 1.008. His career OPS is .900, he bats left handed and he’s 25 years of age. His best years are ahead of him, and already has one of the all time best seasons under his belt.
    His overall contract can't be compared because he was already cost controlled for. A few years. If he was a FA you can be your bottom dollar he'd get more.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

I still don't get why we are calling up a AA pitcher with decent results this year over our AAA pitchers.

Verlander, Scherzer lead latest Cy Young poll

https://www.mlb.com/news/justin-verl...ll/c-280952952

AMERICAN LEAGUE
    1. Justin Verlander, Astros (160 points)
    He's solidly positioned to become the 20th pitcher to win multiple Cy Young Awards, having also won in 2011 while with the Tigers along with finishing second twice ('12 and '16) and third once ('09).

Like Scherzer, he has seldom been better than he is this season, his 14th. He leads the American League with a 1.45 ERA, 0.761 WHIP, 4.9 hits per nine innings and a 262 ERA+. He's averaging 10.9 strikeouts per nine innings, and in 14 starts, has pitched fewer than six innings just once. He has allowed one run or fewer 10 times.

2. Corey Kluber, Indians (59 points)
    Kluber didn't receive a single vote in our first Cy Young Award poll, but that was before he went on one of those runs that magnify his consistency and greatness. He has allowed five total earned runs in his last six starts and the Indians have won 10 of his last 12 starts. He hasn't pitched fewer than six innings, or allowed more than three runs, and leads the AL in victories (10), innings (99 2/3), and K/BB ratio (10.3).

3. Gerrit Cole, Astros (49 points)
    He slipped from second to third in our second poll, but continues to lead the AL in total strikeouts (124) and strikeouts per nine innings (12.7). His 2.16 ERA and 0.844 WHIP have him among the best of the best in his first season with the Astros.

Others receiving votes: Luis Severino, Trevor Bauer.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I still don't get why we are calling up a AA pitcher with decent results this year over our AAA pitchers.
    Who's worth the call at AAA?

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    Verlander, Scherzer lead latest Cy Young poll

https://www.mlb.com/news/justin-verl...ll/c-280952952

AMERICAN LEAGUE
    1. Justin Verlander, Astros (160 points)
    He's solidly positioned to become the 20th pitcher to win multiple Cy Young Awards, having also won in 2011 while with the Tigers along with finishing second twice ('12 and '16) and third once ('09).

Like Scherzer, he has seldom been better than he is this season, his 14th. He leads the American League with a 1.45 ERA, 0.761 WHIP, 4.9 hits per nine innings and a 262 ERA+. He's averaging 10.9 strikeouts per nine innings, and in 14 starts, has pitched fewer than six innings just once. He has allowed one run or fewer 10 times.

2. Corey Kluber, Indians (59 points)
    Kluber didn't receive a single vote in our first Cy Young Award poll, but that was before he went on one of those runs that magnify his consistency and greatness. He has allowed five total earned runs in his last six starts and the Indians have won 10 of his last 12 starts. He hasn't pitched fewer than six innings, or allowed more than three runs, and leads the AL in victories (10), innings (99 2/3), and K/BB ratio (10.3).

3. Gerrit Cole, Astros (49 points)
    He slipped from second to third in our second poll, but continues to lead the AL in total strikeouts (124) and strikeouts per nine innings (12.7). His 2.16 ERA and 0.844 WHIP have him among the best of the best in his first season with the Astros.

Others receiving votes: Luis Severino, Trevor Bauer.

ESPN has Severino 3rd in their Cy Young Predictor
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/features/cyyoung

His overall contract can't be compared because he was already cost controlled for. A few years. If he was a FA you can be your bottom dollar he'd get more.
    Houston's gotten every penny from Altuve. We'll see how he's doing in 5 years making $29m/ per though.

NYYF Legend

Why? Just because a player is in AAA doesn't necessarily mean he is the better choice at this particular moment in time.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

The one guy you could argue is Sheffield, but given that they think this is a temporary need, they are probably more inclined to leave Sheffield alone for now. Whether it is the right thought process or not can be debated, but I believe Sheffield is one of those that when they call him up, it is with designs on him not going back down.. Again, its debatable, but I believe that is what the Yankees are thinking..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Houston's gotten every penny from Altuve. We'll see how he's doing in 5 years making $29m/ per though.
    So what? They still had 3(?) years of cost control on him.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Who's worth the call at AAA?
    And, equally important, on the 40-man roster.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Someone is definitely getting plunked tonight.

Do they have anyone that throws as hard as Betances or Chapman?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    The one guy you could argue is Sheffield, but given that they think this is a temporary need, they are probably more inclined to leave Sheffield alone for now. Whether it is the right thought process or not can be debated, but I believe Sheffield is one of those that when they call him up, it is with designs on him not going back down.. Again, its debatable, but I believe that is what the Yankees are thinking..
    I agree. I think Sheffield's tie will come, maybe in Sept, or, more likely, in 2019. They are not giving him a 40 man roster spot any earlier then they have to.

Tonight's lineup against the righty Fedde:

1. Gardner - LF
    2. Judge - RF
    3. Gregorius - SS
    4. Stanton - DH
    5. Hicks - CF
    6. Andujar - 3B
    7. Bird - 1B
    8. Romine - C
    9. Torres - 2B

NYYF Legend

Good job Boone. Bird needed to be dropped. Not sure about putting Didi there, but hopefully he has woken up.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hairnovaaa View Post

1. Gardner - LF
    2. Judge - RF
    3. Gregorius - SS
    4. Stanton - DH
    5. Hicks - CF
    6. Andujar - 3B
    7. Bird - 1B
    8. Romine - C
    9. Torres - 2B
    I like it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    I agree. I think Sheffield's tie will come, maybe in Sept, or, more likely, in 2019. They are not giving him a 40 man roster spot any earlier then they have to.
    That shouldn't be a factor. The only factor is whether or not he is ready and is the best option. Since this is a 4-5 start assignment and not a spot start they must truly believe that Lasagna is the better pitcher. I think it's a rush job and would hate to think 40 man roster status is the only reason why he was chosen to leap frog over Sheffield. He is 2 years older than Sheffield.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

AAA pitchers not on the 40 man roster. AA pitcher is.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hairnovaaa View Post

1. Gardner - LF
    2. Judge - RF
    3. Gregorius - SS
    4. Stanton - DH
    5. Hicks - CF
    6. Andujar - 3B
    7. Bird - 1B
    8. Romine - C
    9. Torres - 2B
    I thought after hitting 2 HRs Didi would get a rest day tonight, lol. Decent lineup.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    AAA pitchers not on the 40 man roster. AA pitcher is.
    We have room to add someone.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Thread Information