+ Reply to Thread
Page 353 of 590 FirstFirst ... 253 303 343 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 363 403 453 ... LastLast
Results 8,801 to 8,825 of 14738
  1. #8801
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Danville, NH

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Okay, Yanks are 3-0 against the Indians so far this season. Is it too much to ask for 3 of 4 in Cleveland and make up some ground on the Sox?
    Are you sure 3 of 4 is going to make up some ground?

  2. #8802
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Danville, NH

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    I think I saw a weird stat the other day that the Sawx have a better record in games not started by Sale than the ones started by him. Go figure.
    I saw that too (in the Red Sox thread). I think the stat is an oversimplification.

  3. #8803
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Danville, NH

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    Beantown boys have 68 games left and they have to win 50 of them to get to 115.

    There's better chance of Mets trading DeGraom to us than BoSox winning 50 of the next 68 games.
    That would require a .691 team to play 735 ball, but it is not out of the question. Have to look at the competition, pitching match-ups, and lots of other things. Definitely possible.

  4. #8804
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Walker is the new Stephen Drew.
    Cashman seems to love to shove one mediocre player down our throats each season. This year it's Walker.

  5. #8805

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Cashman seems to love to shove one mediocre player down our throats each season. This year it's Walker.
    Coming into this season, Walker was anything but mediocre. His numbers were actually really good and that's probably why Cashman has stuck with him so long.

  6. #8806
    NYYF HOF


    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Stony Brook, NY

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
    That would require a .691 team to play 735 ball, but it is not out of the question. Have to look at the competition, pitching match-ups, and lots of other things. Definitely possible.
    Possible but not probable.

    That's what made the 1998 team so special. They were ultra consistent.

  7. #8807

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Coming into this season, Walker was anything but mediocre. His numbers were actually really good and that's probably why Cashman has stuck with him so long.
    I think turning Walker into a bench player has been the main cause of it. He's always been a starting player.

  8. #8808
    NYYF MVP

    Norge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Southern Ocean County, NJ

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Are we forgetting how bad Stephen Drew was as a hitter?He was absolutely dredful. Walker has shown signs of competence at the plate, especially when he had regular playing time. Drew was completely lost.

  9. #8809

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Norge View Post
    Are we forgetting how bad Stephen Drew was as a hitter?He was absolutely dredful. Walker has shown signs of competence at the plate, especially when he had regular playing time. Drew was completely lost.
    Drew hit some key homeruns
    Ain't it EVIL to LIVE backwards

  10. #8810
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Norge View Post
    Are we forgetting how bad Stephen Drew was as a hitter?He was absolutely dredful. Walker has shown signs of competence at the plate, especially when he had regular playing time. Drew was completely lost.
    Walker has been worse than Chris Carter.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  11. #8811

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    I think itís been obvious for a while if you want the best out of walker he has to play everyday.
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

  12. #8812
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Kind of like Irabu who was always lights out when he faced the Tigers.
    Every time I see Irabu mentioned I feel compelled to trot out this bit of esoterica: Hideki Irabu was twice named American League Pitcher of the Month. Mike Mussina never was.

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Yankees can beat Boston head to head. Trouble is we can't seem to trust any other team to beat them.
    Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    The record is 116 wins. You really think the Sawx are going to win 115 at least? Yeah, you can put me down for "that ain't happenin'".
    Only reason it ain't happenin' is 10 games left with the Yankees and also another series with the Astros yet to go. As I mentioned a few days ago, the American League is going through a flukey 1954-style season where wins are inflated and the gap between the haves and have-nots is gaping.

    Meaning that appearances are a little deceiving this year, a 3 1/2 game lead is bigger than in a normal year. Insurmountable? Nah, not at all. Still plenty of life and time yet for the Yankees. But this business of splitting with teams like the Orioles has to end right. now. because the Sox's propensity to crush bad teams doesn't seem to be going away. And remember that in September, bad teams tend to have their bags packed, figuratively speaking.

    "We'll get 'em head-to-head!" is all well and good but in a year like this you have to hold serve and destroy your weak opponents as well. Because they sure are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norge View Post
    Are we forgetting how bad Stephen Drew was as a hitter?He was absolutely dredful. Walker has shown signs of competence at the plate, especially when he had regular playing time. Drew was completely lost.
    Just based on quick-and-dirty OPS+, Drew was considerably better than Walker because he at least ran into the occasional hanger and supplied some sporadic home run power. Walker isn't supplying homers. Or doubles. Or even singles.

  13. #8813

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Is Severino starting to tire out? Or fall apart? Last couple of starts he has been very mediocre and has given up 2 HRs in each, when before that he hasnt given up more than 1. Seems like he is hitting a wall or a lull.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

  14. #8814

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    There will be no 4th time around for David Hale. Sung Min Kim reports he is signing with a Korean team.

  15. #8815
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Is Severino starting to tire out? Or fall apart? Last couple of starts he has been very mediocre and has given up 2 HRs in each, when before that he hasnt given up more than 1. Seems like he is hitting a wall or a lull.
    "Dead arm period" maybe, I wouldn't trouble trouble here until trouble troubles us.

    I'd like to see him beg off the ASG but realize that won't happen. Boone has to get on the horn with Hinch though and tell him, one inning, maximum.

  16. #8816
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Is Severino starting to tire out? Or fall apart? Last couple of starts he has been very mediocre and has given up 2 HRs in each, when before that he hasnt given up more than 1. Seems like he is hitting a wall or a lull.
    If he isn't injured, he should claim he is, and avoid pitching in the All-Star Game.

  17. #8817
    Calls a tool a tool
    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Ridiculous Tor loss today. Happ was cruising. Gave up a 5-spot. 1 out runner on first and an inning ending DP ball is booted putting 2 on. Then Nunez, like he always does, hits a little tapper. Happ takes his sweet time throwing andd Nunez beats it out to load the bases. A force out at 3rd scores a run. With 2out and 1-2 on Jacki Fing Bradley and he eventually draws a walk to reload the bases with 2 outs. Up comes Betts. Happ goes up 1-2. Then comes about 10 softly hit foul balls, 1 of which was a foul pop that Smoak drops. Then on 3-2 on Happ's 50th pitch of the inning, he hits an fing grand slam. Final 6-4.

  18. #8818
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Coming into this season, Walker was anything but mediocre. His numbers were actually really good and that's probably why Cashman has stuck with him so long.
    Yeah heís been terrible but this an atypically season for sure. Could be the start of his decline but there were zero indications heíd be this bad.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  19. #8819
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    They're 30 games over .500 ... high water mark so far?

  20. #8820
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Ridiculous Tor loss today.

    *snip*
    Not surprised at all. Let's face it, the 2018 Red Sox are the 1954 Indians. I still believe they'll come to the same bad ending as those Indians but as of now, not a single thing is going wrong.


    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Yeah he’s been terrible but this an atypically season for sure. Could be the start of his decline but there were zero indications he’d be this bad.
    Yeah, the one bit of spooky music was that he'd never been asked to be a "supersub" before, but the intent of the signing was to provide a hedge at 2B in case Gleyber Torres wasn't ready, courtesy of that repaired left elbow. Once Gleyber showed he was ready to go, and Bird got back, it was supersub or bust for Walker. It's been bust.

  21. #8821

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Is Severino starting to tire out? Or fall apart? Last couple of starts he has been very mediocre and has given up 2 HRs in each, when before that he hasnt given up more than 1. Seems like he is hitting a wall or a lull.
    Jeez, youz guys are very, very negative. Remember, I'm a Brooklyn guy.

  22. #8822

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    All of the love for the Sox here ignores the fact that Sale has an annual late season swoon. His ERA for Aug/Sep last year was over 4.00. Itís been that way his entire career. After him, their rotation is very ordinary.

    As for their offense, it doesnít have great depth. Heavily dependent on production from the top half of the lineup while the bottom half has problems. A key injury to one of their top 5 hitters will dramatically alter their run production. Itís a long season

  23. #8823
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Danville, NH

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Ridiculous Tor loss today. Happ was cruising. Gave up a 5-spot. 1 out runner on first and an inning ending DP ball is booted putting 2 on. Then Nunez, like he always does, hits a little tapper. Happ takes his sweet time throwing andd Nunez beats it out to load the bases. A force out at 3rd scores a run. With 2out and 1-2 on Jacki Fing Bradley and he eventually draws a walk to reload the bases with 2 outs. Up comes Betts. Happ goes up 1-2. Then comes about 10 softly hit foul balls, 1 of which was a foul pop that Smoak drops. Then on 3-2 on Happ's 50th pitch of the inning, he hits an fing grand slam. Final 6-4.
    There's a reason why they are 42-50.

  24. #8824

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    All of the love for the Sox here ignores the fact that Sale has an annual late season swoon. His ERA for Aug/Sep last year was over 4.00. Itís been that way his entire career. After him, their rotation is very ordinary.

    As for their offense, it doesnít have great depth. Heavily dependent on production from the top half of the lineup while the bottom half has problems. A key injury to one of their top 5 hitters will dramatically alter their run production. Itís a long season
    True about Sale. But he is throwing fewer pitches this year to try to prevent a late season decline. In the 2nd half, I think they will move him back a day a couple times to give him extra rest.

  25. #8825
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Ridiculous Tor loss today. Happ was cruising. Gave up a 5-spot. 1 out runner on first and an inning ending DP ball is booted putting 2 on. Then Nunez, like he always does, hits a little tapper. Happ takes his sweet time throwing andd Nunez beats it out to load the bases. A force out at 3rd scores a run. With 2out and 1-2 on Jacki Fing Bradley and he eventually draws a walk to reload the bases with 2 outs. Up comes Betts. Happ goes up 1-2. Then comes about 10 softly hit foul balls, 1 of which was a foul pop that Smoak drops. Then on 3-2 on Happ's 50th pitch of the inning, he hits an fing grand slam. Final 6-4.
    Hard to think but it just could be their year. Games like last night and things like Porcello hitting a bases loaded double off Scherzer on an 0-2 pitch sort of lead you to believe it. Will it continue in the playoffs? Possibly not. Remember the 2001 Mariners? Boston has also lucked out on the weather so far too. Only one rainout so far. Can we catch them? Sure, anything is possible. But so far it really looks like it is their year. At least in the regular season.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts