+ Reply to Thread
Page 554 of 565 FirstFirst ... 54 454 504 544 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 564 ... LastLast
Results 13,826 to 13,850 of 14107
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    there are lots of things to point out that have led to the team being in this position, but the most egregious sin, imo, is cashman not making a move for an OFer after judge went down and playing shane effing robinson for a month... i mean, not only were there much better options available at the time, but you inevitably were conveying a lack of urgency to the team as well... this laid back, we-have-plenty-of-time-it's-just-one-loss attitude has become a cancer in this clubhouse, and it starts at the top
    This, and not addressing the rotation in the offseason.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Oís just did us a solid and beat Oakland. Give them credit for playing hard in this one.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    This is where I am as well. I understand trying to get under the tax given the surcharge. I never really agreed with it, but I understand it. They found a time where we could have a really good team and reset the tax, so they did it. I happen to think they should have said the hell with it and gone all out, but I get it..

But if they decide to play austerity after getting under and resetting, then I am going to be ticked big time. It's one thing to take a chance on not being the best possible team, but being good enough to win, in a given single year to set the tax. It is another thing entirely to completely eschew putting a monster team together just to save money, if you are the NY Yankees, for an indefinite period..

This offseason I expect significant expenditures, at the very least a guy like Corbin. I'd also go for Machado (like Harper too and would be fine with him but prefer Machado). That makes a monster team and allows you to even trade potentially nice commodities for additional pitching if needed.

But if they just simply sit out the FA frenzy saying we have a 90+ win team and we'll take our chances with that indefinitely, I am going to be major ticked..
    How do you guys understand this? I dont. You go to a 5 star Michelin restaurant, that is charging 5 star Michelin prices, and they change their cuts of meat from prime to choice.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    People look at what JD got and think the Yankees could have afforded it. Sox where the only bidders. Had the Yankees been involved their would have been a bidding war probably won by Boston anyway due to the tax threshold. So all that would have happened would have been JD getting more money from Boston.
    How high do you think they could have gone? They are nearly in the 2nd surtax threshhold already. They have Sale, Mookie, Kimbrel and their SS resignings to think about in the near term. If you recall, JD didnt sign until very late. Boston didnt up their offer to secure the deal. At the very least, NY should have driven up the deal to make them not able to resign their own players.

Thanks Orioles. Big win.

I donít think Gardner had much value as a trade.
    If NYY had to pay $8 of his $12 then it doesnít make a lot of sense to trade him.
    And I believe that OF with similar production were going for about $4 in FA, iirc.

I think also that NYY didnít see a spot to play JD.

Developing SP has long been an issue with NYY. They went into season thinking Severino would be great all year, Gray would be Jimmy Key, and Monty would be a solid number 5.
    There werenít any 1 or 2 guys to be had.
    Cole has come back to earth and he was best available.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    That's the mindset I don't get. On paper there was no need for 3B either. It didn't stop them to go after Machado in this July. And I doubt they only wanted him for just half a season. On paper they didn't need another bullpen arm. It didn't stop them to get Britton. Cashman makes us think that it's unrealistic to add another big signing after the Stanton trade. But it makes little sense if you look at the cap situation. They could. They just preferred to use it on Walker, Lynn, etc. They just wanted to keep Gardner. People may prefer cap space flexibility. But IMO it's a moot point if you think that they would be in all in mode in the coming off-season. They're going to hand out those long term contracts anyway. In addition, even though JD may get an additional year under a bidding war, the contract is not that long at all.
    Well with Machado I think there was an opportunity for to get another bat and significantly improve defense at 3B with Andujar eventually to 1B/DH or even OF. Also again it was a half a year salary vs. a 5+ year deal to JD. Sure the team might sign Machado long term after this year and that would be part of the plan, but the initial commitment was much shorter. As far as Britton and Lynn are concerned, Cashman has shown that he always considers the bullpen a need and that has worked well for us. And we all knew Gray was not to be trusted and team clearly wasn't ready to turn to Sheffield as a starter.

Plus let's remember at the time JD signed we didn't know what we had in Torres or Andujar. So committing all that money to the OF/DH would've been aggressive to say the least given that if one of them didn't pan out there would've been a real need for someone like Machado in the offseason along with a near guaranteed need for pitching at both the deadline and in the offseason.

I hear what you're saying I just don't think the criticism is fair especially in hindsight.

Hate to say it but Pedro was correct with the 'low energy' comment.

I wonder why Sheffield was not called up this month ? Did I miss something ?
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    They're waiting for the AAA season to end. I guess they figure its more valuable for him to pitch on a consistent schedule out of the bullpen for Scranton than inconsistently for the Yankees. Considering some of the relievers we have used instead I don't know if that is sound decision making though. But then again Boone is managing the bullpen so doubtful he would use him properly anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    They're waiting for the AAA season to end. I guess they figure its more valuable for him to pitch on a consistent schedule out of the bullpen for Scranton than inconsistently for the Yankees. Considering some of the relievers we have used instead I don't know if that is sound decision making though. But then again Boone is managing the bullpen so doubtful he would use him properly anyway.
    Could be over tomorrow the 15th. We'll see after that.

NYYF Legend

I actually have no issue with them not calling up Sheffield. If they really thought he was ready he would be up.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    How do you guys understand this? I dont. You go to a 5 star Michelin restaurant, that is charging 5 star Michelin prices, and they change their cuts of meat from prime to choice.

First off, I will reiterate that I agree, I do not like it.. but here is what I think their thought process was..

I think they always believed that their year was 2019. We arrived early last year, and have some other players who arrived early this year. I think they have been planning for this offseason and the 2019 season for awhile, pretty much since they did their selloff.

Certainly this year they were a contender, but I think they looked at the Astros and as the season went on the Red Sox, and decided that they were not ready to break the bank fully yet, still awaiting their time in 2019. So with a fully competitive team, and a chance to win as is, my belief is that they though to stay the course, reset the tax, and then go to the mat this offseason and next year, while then paying a lot less in tax penalties with the long term deals they may commit to..

Now if that was the plan, and they just decided to stick with it, then while I don't like it, I can live with it..
    But if they decide they are not going to spend for this market coming up, then I will really be in a sore spot..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    First off, I will reiterate that I agree, I do not like it.. but here is what I think their thought process was..

I think they always believed that their year was 2019. We arrived early last year, and have some other players who arrived early this year. I think they have been planning for this offseason and the 2019 season for awhile, pretty much since they did their selloff.

Certainly this year they were a contender, but I think they looked at the Astros and as the season went on the Red Sox, and decided that they were not ready to break the bank fully yet, still awaiting their time in 2019. So with a fully competitive team, and a chance to win as is, my belief is that they though to stay the course, reset the tax, and then go to the mat this offseason and next year, while then paying a lot less in tax penalties with the long term deals they may commit to..

Now if that was the plan, and they just decided to stick with it, then while I don't like it, I can live with it..
    But if they decide they are not going to spend for this market coming up, then I will really be in a sore spot..
    This was my thought too.
    But I was surprised that they acquired Lynn, Happ, et al. Would have mad more sense if the acquisitions were not all FA after this season.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Obnoxio View Post
    This was my thought too.
    But I was surprised that they acquired Lynn, Happ, et al. Would have mad more sense if the acquisitions were not all FA after this season.
    Happ and Lynn does not change resetting the tax so not a problem getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYturtle View Post
    Ok bro? Our pitching is in shambles and the A's just dealt with us... and the 2000 yankees was a real yankees team that knew how to finish.
    How was the 2000 team more real than this team?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    How was the 2000 team more real than this team?
    i stopped reading his reply to me after he said "ok bro"...

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    They need to get him up here ASAP so he can learn all about resting at the major league level.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    They need to get him up here ASAP so he can learn all about resting at the major league level.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

NYYF Legend

I thought they taught resting at the AAA level.

NYYF Legend

Tuesday afternoon in the 4th inning Sterling is going to switch places with one of the Boston radio announcers. So anyone listening to that inning might actually know what is going on for a change.

NYYF Legend

NYYF Legend

I thought they taught resting at the AAA level.
    They do, but nothing beats the experience of resting in the majors. If the Yankees hinder his development, he may be destined to be a AAAA rester.

Tuesday afternoon in the 4th inning Sterling is going to switch places with one of the Boston radio announcers. So anyone listening to that inning might actually know what is going on for a change.
    Have you ever listened to the Boston announcers? Not only are they severe homers, but the only thing you're going to know about is the new laundry detergent that Rick Porcello's wife swears by now.

NYYF Legend

Will he have a list of HR calls available for the Sox players?

Can he take Suzyn with him and leave her there?

Thread Information