+ Reply to Thread
Page 462 of 590 FirstFirst ... 362 412 452 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 472 512 562 ... LastLast
Results 11,526 to 11,550 of 14738
  1. #11526

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Many said that last year before the deadline. Houston is going to take another look at those high tech “cameras” they have over there. But I doubt Verlander just got old mid season of one of his better years
    Happens all the time. Cone got old and went into decline right after he pitched his perfect game. He had a 2.65 ERA after the no-no and pitched to a 4.82 ERA the rest of the way that season. Was never the same after that.

    Verlander is 35. His ERA was 4.07 with Detroit before the Astros picked him up last season. What he’s been doing for the past year is a complete anomaly from how he’d been pitching for the previous 5 years once he had slipped past his peak. A change of scenery can bring about a resurgence but it only lasts for so long.

  2. #11527
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    Whether you agree with it or not the Yankees have bought fully into fatigue management. The days off are going to continue through August at the least.
    What they need is a few more players with medical use exemptions.

  3. #11528
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Happens all the time. Cone got old and went into decline right after he pitched his perfect game. He had a 2.65 ERA after the no-no and pitched to a 4.82 ERA the rest of the way that season. Was never the same after that.
    I thought I was the only one who remembered that. I was writing a sports column for a small-city daily paper in North Carolina back then and after the perfect game, my next column suggested Cone as a dark horse Cy Young candidate. That one aged very badly, very fast.

    I do seem to remember he pitched well in the playoffs that year at least.

  4. #11529

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Happens all the time. Cone got old and went into decline right after he pitched his perfect game. He had a 2.65 ERA after the no-no and pitched to a 4.82 ERA the rest of the way that season. Was never the same after that.

    Verlander is 35. His ERA was 4.07 with Detroit before the Astros picked him up last season. What he’s been doing for the past year is a complete anomaly from how he’d been pitching for the previous 5 years once he had slipped past his peak. A change of scenery can bring about a resurgence but it only lasts for so long.
    Ok it’s possible but I think you’re jumping the gun big time if you really believe that.

  5. #11530
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
    If we can get to within 5 GB by the beginning of September, I’ll be happy. And we have to take care of business against Boston.

    Yes, I still have faith for the division.
    I am with you - we have just gained one game on the Sox. We have two games in hand on the Sox which, if we win them both gets us another game. What this team needs to do is keep winning at a better pace than the Red Sox - if Boston goes 7-3 in a ten game stretch, then the Yankees need to go 8-2. Such a move is entirely possible given that the Red Sox schedule is against more competitive than the Yankee opponents this month particularly.

    At a minimum, I would like to see the lead down to six games or below come September 18, when the Red Sox come to town. Ideally, the lead could be down to three games (or less) such that the division would be decided by the six games between the teams in September.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  6. #11531
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    I've decide a bold prediction is in order.

    On October 1st, the New York Yankees will host the Boston Red Sox in the necessary 163rd game of the 2018 season to decide the AL East division winner, with the loser hosting the Wild Card game.

    In an epic battle, Yankee ace Luis Severino and Red Sox ace Chris Sale will exchange zeroes over eight innings.

    In the bottom of the 9th, light hitting utility infielder Ronald Torreyes, who replaced Miguel Andujar at 3B after Andujar was thrown out in his last AB for arguing balls and strikes, tomahawks a Craig Kimbrel pitch into LF off the foul pole, winning the game and becoming the third Yankee with a new middle name for Red Sox fans.

    #74 will join #20 & #19 in Yankee lore.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  7. #11532
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    That certainly is bold. The most hard part to believe is 2 starters going 8 innings in 2018.

  8. #11533

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I've decide a bold prediction is in order.

    On October 1st, the New York Yankees will host the Boston Red Sox in the necessary 163rd game of the 2018 season to decide the AL East division winner, with the loser hosting the Wild Card game.

    In an epic battle, Yankee ace Luis Severino and Red Sox ace Chris Sale will exchange zeroes over eight innings.

    In the bottom of the 9th, light hitting utility infielder Ronald Torreyes, who replaced Miguel Andujar at 3B after Andujar was thrown out in his last AB for arguing balls and strikes, tomahawks a Craig Kimbrel pitch into LF off the foul pole, winning the game and becoming the third Yankee with a new middle name for Red Sox fans.

    #74 will join #20 & #19 in Yankee lore.
    Even if all that happened, no one would care a week later because of the very likely possibility that they would just face each other in the ALDS, and that's what people would remember. Keep that all the same and make it game 5 of the ALDS and now you've got something.

  9. #11534
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Even if all that happened, no one would care a week later because of the very likely possibility that they would just face each other in the ALDS, and that's what people would remember. Keep that all the same and make it game 5 of the ALDS and now you've got something.
    OK -

    I've decide a revision to my bold prediction is in order.

    On October 11th, the New York Yankees will host the Boston Red Sox in game 5 of the 2018 ALDS.

    Because the two teams faced each other in the necessary 163rd game of the 2018 season to decide the AL East division winner, decided by a walkoff HR from the bat of Ronald Torreyes (who was immediately renamed as Ronald F. Torreyes by Boston fans), the teams' aces were not available for this game 5.

    The game was an epic battle, with the managers not hesitating to pull pitchers upon any sign of trouble - the game was scoreless through the bottom of the 12th when, due to Giancarlo Stanton's suffering a strained right eyebrow while doing his best Dwayne Johnson imitation, Aaron Boone looked down his bench and signaled the oft vilified Shane Robinson to pinch hit. Robinson worked a 22 pitch AB against Chris Sale, called upon in the 4th inning by Boston manager Alex Cora because he had blown through his entire bullpen replacing pitchers when they dared to get to a one ball count on a Yankee hitter.

    On the 22nd pitch, Robinson turned on a Sale fastball for a HR into Monument Park. Immediately after the game, the Yankees announced plans to erect a new monument in center field to memorialized what are now being called the F'n Quadruplets.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  10. #11535

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Yeah, the pitching is way better. Back then there was one Walter Johnson, Nolan Ryan, Sandy Koufax. Now the average guy coming out of the minors throws really hard and has an inconsistent but darting breaking ball.

    They don't use basic radar guns anymore, these systems are extremely advanced. If they can measure the exact spin rate of a curveball at 2500 RPM (as that curveball moves at 80 MPH), they can measure the exact speed of a pitch with ease.

    Yogi would have struck out 60+ times this year (which is a pretty impressive number these days).
    Uh, no.

  11. #11536

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I've decide a bold prediction is in order.

    On October 1st, the New York Yankees will host the Boston Red Sox in the necessary 163rd game of the 2018 season to decide the AL East division winner, with the loser hosting the Wild Card game.

    In an epic battle, Yankee ace Luis Severino and Red Sox ace Chris Sale will exchange zeroes over eight innings.

    In the bottom of the 9th, light hitting utility infielder Ronald Torreyes, who replaced Miguel Andujar at 3B after Andujar was thrown out in his last AB for arguing balls and strikes, tomahawks a Craig Kimbrel pitch into LF off the foul pole, winning the game and becoming the third Yankee with a new middle name for Red Sox fans.

    #74 will join #20 & #19 in Yankee lore.
    Pretty bold considering they wouldn't play a 163 game to decide the division.

  12. #11537

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    The game is played differently today.
    Irrelevant when you're talking about 12 strikeouts in 597 ABs.

  13. #11538

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
    If we can get to within 5 GB by the beginning of September, I’ll be happy. And we have to take care of business against Boston.

    Yes, I still have faith for the division.
    Agree.

  14. #11539

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    Irrelevant when you're talking about 12 strikeouts in 597 ABs.
    No, it isn’t. Tom Verducci wrote an outstanding article in the March/April issue of Sporting News on how offense has evolved over the decades, and particularly in just the last 4 years. It’s well worth the read. He’s written several more related articles since then. Google him and you can find any of them.

  15. #11540

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by shadyridr View Post
    Pretty bold considering they wouldn't play a 163 game to decide the division.
    With the addition of wc2 a tie breaker game is played if two teams are tied for the division lead after 162.
    #HarperWatch

  16. #11541

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by shadyridr View Post
    Pretty bold considering they wouldn't play a 163 game to decide the division.
    Yes they would.

  17. #11542

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    No, it isn’t. Tom Verducci wrote an outstanding article in the March/April issue of Sporting News on how offense has evolved over the decades, and particularly in just the last 4 years. It’s well worth the read. He’s written several more related articles since then. Google him and you can find any of them.
    12 strikeouts in 597 ABs is still 12 strikeouts in 597 ABs. Slice it however you want. Can't sabermetric that away. Don't care how the game is played, there isn't a single player in the majors today skilled enough to go that many ABs with that few strikeouts. Not even remotely close.

  18. #11543

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Got a nice little win streak going on here. If we can go on a tear on this home stand...

  19. #11544
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    That certainly is bold. The most hard part to believe is 2 starters going 8 innings in 2018.
    Actually, not that hard to picture it with those 2. If they are rolling, they both will in all likely-hod go 8 in such a scenario.

  20. #11545
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dunstable, MA

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Chance Adams just went back the SWB. I expected this sooner to for another reliever but I do feel he did a good job against the BoSox. no news for the replacement.

  21. #11546
    NYYF Triple Crown

    trentonthunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United States

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    The Yankees have to go 40-8 the rest of the way to catch a Red Sox team that goes 31-15.


    That's the Sox winning at a .673 clip for the rest of the season.
    (Sox are currently playing .698 ball)
    The Yankees winning at a .833 clip the rest of the season.
    (Currently playing .632 ball)


    And that only gets it to a one game playoff game for the division.
    [

  22. #11547
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Chance Adams just went back the SWB. I expected this sooner to for another reliever but I do feel he did a good job against the BoSox. no news for the replacement.
    I think Happ replaced him on the 25 man roster.

  23. #11548
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dunstable, MA

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    I think Happ replaced him on the 25 man roster.
    Thanks. Happ came off the DL and is back in the rotation. (BoSox lost, down to 8, not going to say what Mookie did)

  24. #11549

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    12 strikeouts in 597 ABs is still 12 strikeouts in 597 ABs. Slice it however you want. Can't sabermetric that away. Don't care how the game is played, there isn't a single player in the majors today skilled enough to go that many ABs with that few strikeouts. Not even remotely close.
    Not striking out is not an end goal for a hitter (or shouldn’t be), batter strikeouts are virtually irrelevant. Overall production is what matters, how you get there doesn’t matter.

  25. #11550
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I've decide a bold prediction is in order.

    On October 1st, the New York Yankees will host the Boston Red Sox in the necessary 163rd game of the 2018 season to decide the AL East division winner, with the loser hosting the Wild Card game.

    In an epic battle, Yankee ace Luis Severino and Red Sox ace Chris Sale will exchange zeroes over eight innings.

    In the bottom of the 9th, light hitting utility infielder Ronald Torreyes, who replaced Miguel Andujar at 3B after Andujar was thrown out in his last AB for arguing balls and strikes, tomahawks a Craig Kimbrel pitch into LF off the foul pole, winning the game and becoming the third Yankee with a new middle name for Red Sox fans.

    #74 will join #20 & #19 in Yankee lore.
    In order to host the playoff Yankees would have to win 5 out of their last 6 games against Boston which probably means Severino pitches at Fenway the last weekend.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts