+ Reply to Thread
Page 462 of 590 FirstFirst ... 362 412 452 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 472 512 562 ... LastLast
Results 11,526 to 11,550 of 14738

Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Many said that last year before the deadline. Houston is going to take another look at those high tech “cameras” they have over there. But I doubt Verlander just got old mid season of one of his better years
    Happens all the time. Cone got old and went into decline right after he pitched his perfect game. He had a 2.65 ERA after the no-no and pitched to a 4.82 ERA the rest of the way that season. Was never the same after that.

Verlander is 35. His ERA was 4.07 with Detroit before the Astros picked him up last season. What he’s been doing for the past year is a complete anomaly from how he’d been pitching for the previous 5 years once he had slipped past his peak. A change of scenery can bring about a resurgence but it only lasts for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    Whether you agree with it or not the Yankees have bought fully into fatigue management. The days off are going to continue through August at the least.
    What they need is a few more players with medical use exemptions.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Happens all the time. Cone got old and went into decline right after he pitched his perfect game. He had a 2.65 ERA after the no-no and pitched to a 4.82 ERA the rest of the way that season. Was never the same after that.
    I thought I was the only one who remembered that. I was writing a sports column for a small-city daily paper in North Carolina back then and after the perfect game, my next column suggested Cone as a dark horse Cy Young candidate. That one aged very badly, very fast.

I do seem to remember he pitched well in the playoffs that year at least.

Verlander is 35. His ERA was 4.07 with Detroit before the Astros picked him up last season. What he’s been doing for the past year is a complete anomaly from how he’d been pitching for the previous 5 years once he had slipped past his peak. A change of scenery can bring about a resurgence but it only lasts for so long.
    Ok it’s possible but I think you’re jumping the gun big time if you really believe that.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
    If we can get to within 5 GB by the beginning of September, I’ll be happy. And we have to take care of business against Boston.

Yes, I still have faith for the division.
    I am with you - we have just gained one game on the Sox. We have two games in hand on the Sox which, if we win them both gets us another game. What this team needs to do is keep winning at a better pace than the Red Sox - if Boston goes 7-3 in a ten game stretch, then the Yankees need to go 8-2. Such a move is entirely possible given that the Red Sox schedule is against more competitive than the Yankee opponents this month particularly.

At a minimum, I would like to see the lead down to six games or below come September 18, when the Red Sox come to town. Ideally, the lead could be down to three games (or less) such that the division would be decided by the six games between the teams in September.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

I've decide a bold prediction is in order.

On October 1st, the New York Yankees will host the Boston Red Sox in the necessary 163rd game of the 2018 season to decide the AL East division winner, with the loser hosting the Wild Card game.

In an epic battle, Yankee ace Luis Severino and Red Sox ace Chris Sale will exchange zeroes over eight innings.

In the bottom of the 9th, light hitting utility infielder Ronald Torreyes, who replaced Miguel Andujar at 3B after Andujar was thrown out in his last AB for arguing balls and strikes, tomahawks a Craig Kimbrel pitch into LF off the foul pole, winning the game and becoming the third Yankee with a new middle name for Red Sox fans.

#74 will join #20 & #19 in Yankee lore.

NYYF Legend

That certainly is bold. The most hard part to believe is 2 starters going 8 innings in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post

On October 1st, the New York Yankees will host the Boston Red Sox in the necessary 163rd game of the 2018 season to decide the AL East division winner, with the loser hosting the Wild Card game.

In an epic battle, Yankee ace Luis Severino and Red Sox ace Chris Sale will exchange zeroes over eight innings.

In the bottom of the 9th, light hitting utility infielder Ronald Torreyes, who replaced Miguel Andujar at 3B after Andujar was thrown out in his last AB for arguing balls and strikes, tomahawks a Craig Kimbrel pitch into LF off the foul pole, winning the game and becoming the third Yankee with a new middle name for Red Sox fans.

Even if all that happened, no one would care a week later because of the very likely possibility that they would just face each other in the ALDS, and that's what people would remember. Keep that all the same and make it game 5 of the ALDS and now you've got something.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Even if all that happened, no one would care a week later because of the very likely possibility that they would just face each other in the ALDS, and that's what people would remember. Keep that all the same and make it game 5 of the ALDS and now you've got something.
    OK -

I've decide a revision to my bold prediction is in order.

On October 11th, the New York Yankees will host the Boston Red Sox in game 5 of the 2018 ALDS.

Because the two teams faced each other in the necessary 163rd game of the 2018 season to decide the AL East division winner, decided by a walkoff HR from the bat of Ronald Torreyes (who was immediately renamed as Ronald F. Torreyes by Boston fans), the teams' aces were not available for this game 5.

The game was an epic battle, with the managers not hesitating to pull pitchers upon any sign of trouble - the game was scoreless through the bottom of the 12th when, due to Giancarlo Stanton's suffering a strained right eyebrow while doing his best Dwayne Johnson imitation, Aaron Boone looked down his bench and signaled the oft vilified Shane Robinson to pinch hit. Robinson worked a 22 pitch AB against Chris Sale, called upon in the 4th inning by Boston manager Alex Cora because he had blown through his entire bullpen replacing pitchers when they dared to get to a one ball count on a Yankee hitter.

On the 22nd pitch, Robinson turned on a Sale fastball for a HR into Monument Park. Immediately after the game, the Yankees announced plans to erect a new monument in center field to memorialized what are now being called the F'n Quadruplets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Yeah, the pitching is way better. Back then there was one Walter Johnson, Nolan Ryan, Sandy Koufax. Now the average guy coming out of the minors throws really hard and has an inconsistent but darting breaking ball.

They don't use basic radar guns anymore, these systems are extremely advanced. If they can measure the exact spin rate of a curveball at 2500 RPM (as that curveball moves at 80 MPH), they can measure the exact speed of a pitch with ease.

Yogi would have struck out 60+ times this year (which is a pretty impressive number these days).
    Uh, no.

Pretty bold considering they wouldn't play a 163 game to decide the division.

The game is played differently today.
    Irrelevant when you're talking about 12 strikeouts in 597 ABs.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
    If we can get to within 5 GB by the beginning of September, I’ll be happy. And we have to take care of business against Boston.

Yes, I still have faith for the division.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    Irrelevant when you're talking about 12 strikeouts in 597 ABs.
    No, it isn’t. Tom Verducci wrote an outstanding article in the March/April issue of Sporting News on how offense has evolved over the decades, and particularly in just the last 4 years. It’s well worth the read. He’s written several more related articles since then. Google him and you can find any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyridr View Post
    With the addition of wc2 a tie breaker game is played if two teams are tied for the division lead after 162.
    #HarperWatch

Quote Originally Posted by shadyridr View Post
    Yes they would.

No, it isn’t. Tom Verducci wrote an outstanding article in the March/April issue of Sporting News on how offense has evolved over the decades, and particularly in just the last 4 years. It’s well worth the read. He’s written several more related articles since then. Google him and you can find any of them.
    12 strikeouts in 597 ABs is still 12 strikeouts in 597 ABs. Slice it however you want. Can't sabermetric that away. Don't care how the game is played, there isn't a single player in the majors today skilled enough to go that many ABs with that few strikeouts. Not even remotely close.

Got a nice little win streak going on here. If we can go on a tear on this home stand...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    That certainly is bold. The most hard part to believe is 2 starters going 8 innings in 2018.
    Actually, not that hard to picture it with those 2. If they are rolling, they both will in all likely-hod go 8 in such a scenario.

NYYF Cy Young

Chance Adams just went back the SWB. I expected this sooner to for another reliever but I do feel he did a good job against the BoSox. no news for the replacement.

NYYF Triple Crown

The Yankees have to go 40-8 the rest of the way to catch a Red Sox team that goes 31-15.

That's the Sox winning at a .673 clip for the rest of the season.
    (Sox are currently playing .698 ball)
    The Yankees winning at a .833 clip the rest of the season.
    (Currently playing .632 ball)

And that only gets it to a one game playoff game for the division.
    [

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Chance Adams just went back the SWB. I expected this sooner to for another reliever but I do feel he did a good job against the BoSox. no news for the replacement.
    I think Happ replaced him on the 25 man roster.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    I think Happ replaced him on the 25 man roster.
    Thanks. Happ came off the DL and is back in the rotation. (BoSox lost, down to 8, not going to say what Mookie did)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    12 strikeouts in 597 ABs is still 12 strikeouts in 597 ABs. Slice it however you want. Can't sabermetric that away. Don't care how the game is played, there isn't a single player in the majors today skilled enough to go that many ABs with that few strikeouts. Not even remotely close.
    Not striking out is not an end goal for a hitter (or shouldn’t be), batter strikeouts are virtually irrelevant. Overall production is what matters, how you get there doesn’t matter.

NYYF Legend

In order to host the playoff Yankees would have to win 5 out of their last 6 games against Boston which probably means Severino pitches at Fenway the last weekend.

Thread Information