+ Reply to Thread
Page 111 of 494 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 121 161 211 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 12348
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Stanton seemingly always has a tough April. In addition, I believe changing teams (and leagues!!) comes into play. Add in a California guy, who spent 7 seasons in Miami, playing in cold weather in April for an extended stretch (probably for the first time) and he started slowly this year.

We do not know how he will perform in the post-season since the Marlins never sniffed playoff baseball during his tenure there.
    Stanton had a +.300 BA up this point last year.

I think he's just seeing new pitchers and stuff. IMO he'll have lower output than last year because last year was incredible and he's seeing most of these pitchers for the first time. With that said, He'll be at least 40hr and .270 BA.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    This is what's pretty awesome. The only guys really outperforming their batting profile is Didi, but he's still putting up monster numbers.

Gardner, Stanton, and Sanchez will all get better. Judge should be Judge. We'll get less production out of 2B (Toe blew up). Hard to know what Gley will be this season. Drury as well. However, should get something good between them (+Walker). Andj won't be this good, but his batting profile suggest there is nothing lucky about it. Austin will come down, and hopefully Bird picks up that slack.

This team is loaded, and I think in a few months barring majors injuries to multiple players, we'll be the best offense in baseball by a LOT.
    Yeah, the offense definitely has more upside than downside.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    And the "everyone else," from last night, is not a pitcher!

Contrary to the poster who is ready to anoint Austin based on the current SSS, it is not irrelevant to look at how hard the RHed pitchers throw whom he has hit. Also, some hitters pick up certain pitchers particularly well.

We all hope Austin has found a permanent groove and somehow can help the team beyond being backup insurance to Bird in Austin's last option year. Maybe he has. But the at bats have been too limited to draw any conclusions, especially given his streaky history in the minor leagues. Yankee management will have to make a judgment at some point. We do not need to now. Let's wait and see what happens.
    Nobody is anointing Austin to anything. It isn't outlandish to think that Greg Bird needs to earn the job at 1b because the only thing he has shown he is capable of doing over an extended period of time is get hurt.

People are going out of their way to prove that Austin is bad by removing the hits he has had against Marco Estrada which is purely selection bias and there is no reason to suggest that it is some kind of outlier.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    And the "everyone else," from last night, is not a pitcher!

Contrary to the poster who is ready to anoint Austin based on the current SSS,
    it is not irrelevant to look at how hard the RHed pitchers throw whom he has hit. Also, some hitters pick up certain pitchers particularly well.

We all hope Austin has found a permanent groove and somehow can help the team beyond being backup insurance to Bird in Austin's last option year. Maybe he has. But the at bats have been too limited to draw any conclusions, especially given his streaky history in the minor leagues. Yankee management will have to make a judgment at some point. We do not need to now. Let's wait and see what happens.
    You are literally doing the exact same thing the other way. You are making judgements based on SSS, and cherrypicking data.

Even with a healthy Bird, Austin still can play a role on this team aa DH (Gardy sits)/1B lefty platoon. Walker is really the one that loses a spot on this team when Bird returns.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Where is Drury going to play? How can you sit Andujar when hes hitting like this?

Quote Originally Posted by TBL4716 View Post
    Where is Drury going to play? How can you sit Andujar when hes hitting like this?
    You don't sit him.
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

NYYF Legend

2018 Tyler Austin average exit velocity:
    91.6 MPH v R
    90.2 MPH V L

EDIT: Also add another hit for Austin against a righty when he scalded 104.3 mph, and the BS review didn't call him safe.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Do you trade one of Gley or Andj for Bum?

http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olne...er-blockbuster
    I wonder if Cueto could have been pried loose for nothing this offseason. Off to a great start, but owed a ton of money.

All of these young players causing a roster crunch is a good thing as it gives Cashman more assets to use in trade discussions starting next month.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I wonder if Cueto could have been pried loose for nothing this offseason. Off to a great start, but owed a ton of money.
    I wouldn't touch him with his recent health issues.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Yeah, I was looking at him, but pass on 4 more yrs (33-36) plus this one.
    Calmer than you are

Bums best years are behind him and as much as I love him, going from ATT park to Yankee stadium and NL to AL. The guy flat out has stones though. I love him
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

NYYF Legend

I love what Andujar is doing right now but Drury is still on the team and theoretically you could replace him with Machado next year. Top of the rotation starters are hard to come by. So yes, I would trade Andujar for Bumgarner.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    I would wonder what his stats are against everyone else not named Estrada. He has 3 HRs against him, and 1 against everyone else (last night).
    And that one is against a CF.

A HR is still a HR and it shouldn't discount his production. But I would still be in wait and see approach to him. He still has some very big question marks for me to buy in.

nope. No more NL pitchers

NYYF HOF

You are literally doing the exact same thing the other way. You are making judgements based on SSS, and cherrypicking data.

Even with a healthy Bird, Austin still can play a role on this team aa DH (Gardy sits)/1B lefty platoon. Walker is really the one that loses a spot on this team when Bird returns.
    I would hold on to Tyler Austin even if Bird returns. With his past injury history, Bird is simply not an long term option.

NYYF Legend

Walker instead of Austin, otherwise the same as last night.

Tuesday 4/24 6:35pm
    CC Sabathia (L)
    vs. Twins - Jose Berrios (R)
    1. Brett Gardner (L) LF
    2. Aaron Judge (R) RF
    3. Didi Gregorius (L) SS
    4. Giancarlo Stanton (R) DH
    5. Gary Sanchez (R) C
    6. Aaron Hicks (S) CF
    7. Neil Walker (S) 1B
    8. Miguel Andujar (R) 3B
    9. Gleyber Torres (R) 2B
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

NYYF Legend

I'm good with that change.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    I would hold on to Tyler Austin even if Bird returns. With his past injury history, Bird is simply not an long term option.
    Yeah. Agreed. It's pretty obvious to me. He may not play as much with Bird back, but he still very much has a role on this team if he can continue to hit lefties.
    Calmer than you are

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by TBL4716 View Post
    Can you say Wally Pipp?

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Lets remember that Austin had a lot of injuries along the way. I'm talking injuries that side-tracked his career quite a bit and probably depleted his numbers. I thought I remember him having a wrist/hand injury too which depletes a hitter's strength. The following are his OBP/SLG/OPS since 2012, against right-handed pitching for a total of 1405 at-bats.

IMO, I think he can hit against right-handed pitching if given the chance to do so on a regular basis and he stays healthy. Lets remember that most of his at-bats in the minors were against right-handed pitching. Lefties are few and far between.

2012: Char 432/656/1.018
    2012: Tam 389/466/855

2013: AA 332/370/702

2014: AA 346/397/743

2015: AA 371/484/855
    2015: AAA 341/359/700

2016: AA 397/466/863
    2016: AAA 394/609/1.002

2017: AAA 297/484/781

Anybody wanting to look further into his numbers, here is the link.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ng/2017/MINORS
    Thanks. Nice. I feel he proved he can hit against RHP this year and the rotation is not needed (interesting to see Walker does against a RHP strike out pitcher). Austin has wRC+168 this year but Rajah is right about defense with a WAR 0.6. Wish we could get Tex to work with him.

off is 5.0
    def is -1.2

Lastly. Austin is FB hitter and is doing a lot better with the slider (25%) but he really has problems with off speed - not unusual. I am very happy with Austin as backup when Bird returns.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Bums best years are behind him and as much as I love him, going from ATT park to Yankee stadium and NL to AL. The guy flat out has stones though. I love him
    LOL! He's 28! Are Sonny Gray's best years behind him?
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Are Sonny Gray's best years behind him?
    Um, this was probably not the best example you could have chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Um, this was probably not the best example you could have chosen.

(I know he's 29 but just barely)
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

NYYF Legend

I'm good with that change.
    I would have batted Andujar ahead of Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    LOL! He's 28! Are Sonny Gray's best years behind him?
    Yeah, he probably thought he was older or something. Bumgarner is a bonafide ace, and one of the best postseason pitchers of all time. I'd trade Andujar for him personally, as much as I'd hate to see him go.

Thread Information