+ Reply to Thread
Page 351 of 570 FirstFirst ... 251 301 341 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 361 401 451 ... LastLast
Results 8,751 to 8,775 of 14232
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    But yet that team struggled mightily, to the point that they were 14 games out. Turning that around was a major accomplishment for any team, defending champions or not. Just a couple of weeks ago we were three or four games up in the loss column, so this is how quickly things can change. There's lots of baseball left, and this may just be a better second half team. Let's see what happens.
    Yankees had a ton of injuries the first half of that season. Conversely the Sox had injuries in the second half that slowed them down. Of course everyone forgets that the Yankees had a 3 1\2 game lead with 2 weeks to go and it was Boston that cane back to force the tie.

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Yankees had a ton of injuries the first half of that season. Conversely the Sox had injuries in the second half that slowed them down. Of course everyone forgets that the Yankees had a 3 1\2 game lead with 2 weeks to go and it was Boston that cane back to force the tie.
    Which reinforces the point that there's lots of time left, and lots that can still happen. Way too early for anyone to be talked off the ledge because of a few games against the lowly Baltimores.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF HOF

Even though we all B&M in the game thread, I believe with high level of confidence that Yankees will prevail at the end. They got hot and we cooled off. it's a 162-game season. If you take Betts and X off that team, they wouldn't be doing as well as we have without Gary and Gleyber, just saying.

I've been through the rollercoaster ride in 1978. I want nothing less than the same kick in the nuts by taking the division from them on the very last day of the season. It's the chase that excites true Yankee fans.

Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    Even though we all B&M in the game thread, I believe with high level of confidence that Yankees will prevail at the end. They got hot and we cooled off. it's a 162-game season. If you take Betts and X off that team, they wouldn't be doing as well as we have without Gary and Gleyber, just saying.

I've been through the rollercoaster ride in 1978. I want nothing less than the same kick in the nuts by taking the division from them on the very last day of the season. It's the chase that excites true Yankee fans.
    This. All of it.
    And itís important to note that the Sox are likely to have their fare share of injuries before the season ends. Plenty of time for the Yankees to take the division although they desperately need a front-end starting pitcher - whether they can trade for one or whether the answer is Sheffield remains to be seen.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

The problem is our rotation appears even weaker than we thought it would be and really not many options out there to improve it. If they ever bring up Sheffield that might be our best hope.

NYYF HOF

The problem is our rotation appears even weaker than we thought it would be and really not many options out there to improve it. If they ever bring up Sheffield that might be our best hope.
    I don't think Gray is as bad as he's been performing and I don't think JD Martinez is the second coming of Ted Williams. Things will even out at the end, mike.

More importantly, I really think getting Machado will be a checkmate kind of move. Who needs pitching when you can score 10 runs a game.

Sonny Gray tonight?

Make this one down as another loss.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

NYYF Legend

I don't think Gray is as bad as he's been performing and I don't think JD Martinez is the second coming of Ted Williams. Things will even out at the end, mike.

More importantly, I really think getting Machado will be a checkmate kind of move. Who needs pitching when you can score 10 runs a game.
    That theory did not work for the 85-86 teams. Will not work for this one either.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Sonny Gray tonight?

Not really. We could crush Bundy.

NYYF Legend

It nice to see both Stanton and Judge have declined to attend the HR Derby.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

If I have done my numbers correctly, Ro & Higgy have generated a .256/.333/.651/.984 slash line since Sanchez was put on the DL.

11 for 43, with 5 BB, 7 XBH (5 HR) & 8 RBI. Also, 1 sacrifice bunt.

The one negative is their combined 15 K
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    It nice to see both Stanton and Judge have declined to attend the HR Derby.
    Yes! Next, Severino shouldn't pitch.

Time to end the All Star Game. An idea whose time has gone.

NYYF Legend

Sonny Gray tonight?

I would, but I cannot bear false witness against my pitcher.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

That theory did not work for the 85-86 teams. Will not work for this one either.
    Worked for us last year. What exactly changed pitching wise?

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post

I would, but I cannot bear false witness against my pitcher.
    Okay lets not pretend its not an aberration.

The guy has been Ed Whitson II since the day he got here. So he finally earned his paycheck, bout effin' time.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

I have to admit, watching them blow out the Orioles 9-0 only makes me more pissed off that they lost two one-run games they should have won.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Cy Young

The guy has been Ed Whitson II since the day he got here. So he finally earned his paycheck, bout effin' time.
    Gee. Ed Whitson (85-86) I had to look it up but you may be right (one game). It was just an enjoyable game for me last night. perfect. Sunny day, Bird hitting an off speed for HR, Very happy for Wade, and Clint got a hit, Boone did a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I have to admit, watching them blow out the Orioles 9-0 only makes me more pissed off that they lost two one-run games they should have won.
    I've watched enough sports to know that they lost 2 games because they were sleepwalking. They just didn't try. Boston, on the other hand, just went and took care of business against a sub-.500 Rangers team with a sweep. No sleepwalking for them.

How ironic that CC and Tanaka combined to go 9.1 innings, giving up 13 hits and 8 runs while Cessa and Gray combined for 12 innings, 6 hits and 0 runs.

Sonny Gray tonight?

Sonny Gray is 3-0 against Baltimore, with a 2.00 ERA.
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Worked for us last year. What exactly changed pitching wise?
    It worked last year because we were given the gift of the Twins in the WC game.

NYYF Legend

Gray also pitched a great game at Toronto back in June. But last weekend back at Toronto he was terrible.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    Kind of like Irabu who was always lights out when he faced the Tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    Nice. His best numbers are against the worst team in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    How ironic that CC and Tanaka combined to go 9.1 innings, giving up 13 hits and 8 runs while Cessa and Gray combined for 12 innings, 6 hits and 0 runs.
    You just cannot predict baseball.

Thread Information