+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Re: 2018 Didi Gregorius Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    this is not me making that comment.. just to let you know
    Twin brother?

Would it make me a grammar police if I mention that without even looking at the names, people can tell them apart because the former actually knows how to use proper punctuation and capital letters?

lol. Posted with his other handle by mistake. Hard to keep those straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    lol. Posted with his other handle by mistake. Hard to keep those straight.
    If you're suggesting that I'm that other user, I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    Would it make me a grammar police
    Sorry, I'm afraid you've already disqualified yourself.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

His BABIP is silly low, especially for someone making even more hard contact than he did last year, so he'll eventually get luckier with batted balls.

That said, his BB% is reverting back to his career norms, which I find strange because its a conscious choice he's making in the face of considerable evidence that his April was awesome (AL Player of the month) in large part because of his patience.

Screen_Shot_2018_05_16_at_8_44_49_AM

https://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.asp...=single&gt1=15

Hmm, BB% goes down, wOBA goes down. so weird. It's almost like he doesn't want a mega contract next year.

NYYF Legend

He's more or less where he should be now with his batted ball profile.

wOBA - xwOBA
    0.349 - 0.359
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    He's more or less where he should be now with his batted ball profile.

wOBA - xwOBA
    0.349 - 0.359
    Yeah in April his HR/FB was absurdly high, so that was gonna come down. I just mean his batted balls since late April have been really unlucky, contributing to this slump.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Yeah in April his HR/FB was absurdly high, so that was gonna come down. I just mean his batted balls since late April have been really unlucky, contributing to this slump.
    I know what you're saying, but ... I watch the games and I don't see anything "unlucky" about making outs when all you do is hit can-of-corn fly balls to the outfield. I think it's good that he's not striking out, and putting the ball in play, but we shouldn't pretend he's barreling the baseball. Weak contact generally means outs.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I know what you're saying, but ... I watch the games and I don't see anything "unlucky" about making outs when all you do is hit can-of-corn fly balls to the outfield. I think it's good that he's not striking out, and putting the ball in play, but we shouldn't pretend he's barreling the baseball. Weak contact generally means outs.
    No, I was going by his quality of contact, which indicates he's been unlucky over the past couple weeks. He has a like a .150 BABIP over that period, which is fluky low. You anecdotally recall weak contact, and I can also anecdotally recall some lineouts and deep fly balls.

Regardless, the real point I was making is that his contact hasn't changed that much since April, but his patience has.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    In May, he is actually hitting significantly more groundballs compared to what he did in April. His hard hit % is the same in both months.

He has been unlucky.

NYYF Legend

Here are the actual numbers from an ESPN article (could have posted them before, but didn't for some reason) showing he's been very unlucky in May:

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    Consider Gregorius' batting average on balls in play. In March and April, his BABIP was .289. So far this month, it's .133. Although he's making contact, he isn't getting the ball to fall.

Still, according to Statcast averages, Gregorius has been hitting the ball roughly as hard as he was before. During his torrid start, Gregorius had an average exit velocity of 85.4 mph. This month, he has essentially matched that, at 85.2 mph.
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...stumps-yankees

Even if you have mostly soft contact, a .133 BABIP is bad luck. Again, he was a little lucky in April with his sky-high HR/FB rate.

Here are the actual numbers from an ESPN article (could have posted them before, but didn't for some reason) showing he's been very unlucky in May:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...stumps-yankees

Even if you have mostly soft contact, a .133 BABIP is bad luck. Again, he was a little lucky in April with his sky-high HR/FB rate.
    His LD% has gone from 25% to 11.4% and his GB rate went from 26.2% to 40.9%. He also went from a BB% of 14.9% to 5.6% which is trending in the wrong direction. If he were hitting a lot more line drives and a lot less ground balls, I can assure you he'd be a lot less unlucky. It's easy to see why he's struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    His LD% has gone from 25% to 11.4% and his GB rate went from 26.2% to 40.9%. He also went from a BB% of 14.9% to 5.6% which is trending in the wrong direction. It's easy to see why he's struggling.
    But even still, the BABIP is still crazy low. What should be happening is a similar amount of hits but significantly fewer XBH's
    Jeter used to hit and crazy % of grounders.

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    But even still, the BABIP is still crazy low. What should be happening is a similar amount of hits but significantly fewer XBH's
    Jeter used to hit and crazy % of grounders.
    Except, I don't remember Jeter having to hit into a shift. When Didi puts the ball on the ground, he grounds it into the teeth of the shift. The ball usually ends up at or in the vicinity of a fielder either up the middle or to the right side. If you want to call that luck, fine by me. But imo, it's really not because the fielders are playing him to hit the ball there.

Except, I don't remember Jeter having to hit into a shift. When Didi puts the ball on the ground, he grounds it into the teeth of the shift. The ball usually ends up at or in the vicinity of a fielder either up the middle or to the right side. If you want to call that luck, fine by me. But imo, it's really not because the fielders are playing him to hit the ball there.
    Even with the shift, that BABIP is still too low. This month of May is literally his lowest BABIP month since he became a Yankee and by a long way.
    Its luck.

His LD% has gone from 25% to 11.4% and his GB rate went from 26.2% to 40.9%. He also went from a BB% of 14.9% to 5.6% which is trending in the wrong direction. If he were hitting a lot more line drives and a lot less ground balls, I can assure you he'd be a lot less unlucky. It's easy to see why he's struggling.
    Uh yeah, this shuts down the notion that it's just been bad luck.

NYYF Legend

I literally posted a chart of how his BB% has fallen drastically like 10 posts ago. That's actually I think the most interesting thing about the difference between his April and his May numbers.

Yes, he's hitting more GBs instead of LDs, but his contact is just as hard, so I doubt that's some kind of long term trend, probably just a statistical blip and some poorer pitch selection in the short term. A .133 BABIP remains fluky.

I literally posted a chart of how his BB% has fallen drastically like 10 posts ago. That's actually I think the most interesting thing about the difference between his April and his May numbers.

Yes, he's hitting more GBs instead of LDs, but his contact is just as hard, so I doubt that's some kind of long term trend, probably just a statistical blip and some poorer pitch selection in the short term. A .133 BABIP remains fluky.

he hits a lot of ordinary ground balls.. or fly balls i don't recall him hitting bullet ground balls being fielder by the opponent..

NYYF Legend

Bob Lorenz (of all people!) made an interesting observation last night during the post game show - he says Didi's ABs look "busier" (moving the bat back & forth) than they did in April, when the bat just rested quietly on his shoulders.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Cy Young

Thanks. I felt Boone best move was putting Didi between Judge and Stanton but now I would like to see him moved down in the lineup (and get today off because of his slump). I think he was mainly in lower end last year and having Didi, Torres, Andújar I kinda like to try.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Thanks. I felt Boone best move was putting Didi between Judge and Stanton but now I would like to see him moved down in the lineup (and get today off because of his slump). I think he was mainly in lower end last year and having Didi, Torres, Andújar I kinda like to try.
    I don’t think another day off is going to help him, but perhaps the team is actually better with Torreyes right now.

How do you go 1 for 44?

Why can't Mookie or JD ever go 1 for 44?

Honestly, Machado is sounding good at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Uh yeah, this shuts down the notion that it's just been bad luck.
    Unless you have no right to be a big leaguer. 1 for 44 is bad luck for everyone...you can have the worst approach in the sport and not be deserving of 1 for 44.

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Unless you have no right to be a big leaguer. 1 for 44 is bad luck for everyone...you can have the worst approach in the sport and not be deserving of 1 for 44.
    Yes, 1 for 44 has to involve some bad luck. At the same time, awful is awful. With better luck, he’d probably be 4 for 44.

Thread Information