+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 18 19 20 21
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Didi Gregorius Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    My apologies.

What did you think about the extension offers I concocted?
    I wouldn’t offer him an extension. I actually would seriously consider the non-tendering option.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I wouldn’t offer him an extension. I actually would seriously consider the non-tendering option.
    That was my first reaction when this whole thing was made public. But Cashman talks like he wants to work something out. I think this whole Didi situation needs to be addressed before a bunch of money is spent. Cutting ties with Didi adds $13M to the spending bucket.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I really don’t see Didi Gregorius getting $13 million in arbitration with the injury. He was at $8.25 million this season and I would suggest that the Yankees and DIdi will agree on a one-year $10 million deal for 2019.

The idea of simply cutting him loose is, IMO, foolish. He will be back in the second half of the season and is a valuable part of this team.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

If Cashman is correct, he would be return in action between June and August. Return in action doesn't mean that he's ready in game shape. Take another one to two month for his rehab then you're paying him $10m only for September or postseason.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I really don’t see Didi Gregorius getting $13 million in arbitration with the injury. He was at $8.25 million this season and I would suggest that the Yankees and DIdi will agree on a one-year $10 million deal for 2019.

The idea of simply cutting him loose is, IMO, foolish. He will be back in the second half of the season and is a valuable part of this team.
    So your suggestion is to pay $10M for Didi to play approximately the last 50 games of the season, and then hope to sign him as a free agent? I'm thinking this is the time to extend Didi so he doesn't become a free agent after 2019. The Yanks & Didi need some time to figure out their future relationship. Or cut ties now and add $10M+ to the payroll budget for 2019.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

↓ Sign this guy, Hal ↓ Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

So your suggestion is to pay $10M for Didi to play approximately the last 50 games of the season, and then hope to sign him as a free agent? I'm thinking this is the time to extend Didi so he doesn't become a free agent after 2019. The Yanks & Didi need some time to figure out their future relationship. Or cut ties now and add $10M+ to the payroll budget for 2019.
    I think you most certainly consider extending Didi right now. If anything, you're more likely to get a hometown discount because you'd be showing confidence in his abilities at a time where he has to be worrying about his value in free agency because of this injury.

TJS should not be a deterrent - especially for a non-pitcher.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    I think you most certainly consider extending Didi right now. If anything, you're more likely to get a hometown discount because you'd be showing confidence in his abilities at a time where he has to be worrying about his value in free agency because of this injury.

TJS should not be a deterrent - especially for a non-pitcher.
    Agreed! Sign me up! Somewhere else I suggested 6yrs/$108M/$13M AAV and sell it as $8M for re-habbing in 2019, then 5yrs/$100M/$20AAV beginning in 2020.

NYYF Legend

Agreed! Sign me up! Somewhere else I suggested 6yrs/$108M/$13M AAV and sell it as $8M for re-habbing in 2019, then 5yrs/$100M/$20AAV beginning in 2020.
    No way I would do it. SS generally doesn't age well and I have no interest paying a SS who just had TJS to his throwing arm at $20m per year. If you want to extend him, you use 2B as your benchmark.

↓ Sign this guy, Hal ↓ Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

No way I would do it. SS generally doesn't age well and I have no interest paying a SS who just had TJS to his throwing arm at $20m per year. If you want to extend him, you use 2B as your benchmark.
    I'm confused by your thought process here. On the one hand, you want the Yankees to sign Machado, at age 26, to the 10-year+ contract he's going to command to take over at SS, but you don't want to sign Didi, age 28, to a 5-6 year extension for fear that SS generally don't age well?

As far as TJS goes, it's really a non-issue. If you're fine with signing pitchers who have had TJS, you should have zero concern about position players who make maybe 5-7 throws a game.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    I'm confused by your thought process here. On the one hand, you want the Yankees to sign Machado, at age 26, to the 10-year+ contract he's going to command, but you don't want to sign Didi, age 28, to a 5-year extension for fear that SS generally don't age well?

As far as TJS goes, it's really a non-issue. If you're fine with signing pitchers who have had TJS, you should have zero concern about position players who make maybe 5-7 throws a game.
    Firstly I haven't really bought in Machado. I just said position wise it makes sense for the Yankees to sign him. And Cashman does like him.

Secondly a SS with a noodle arm couldn't play that position. He may get back his arm strength in two years like the pitchers but then 'home town discount' extension is really not a discount at all as you just pay $8-10m for his rehab next season.

Firstly I haven't really bought in Machado. I just said position wise it makes sense for the Yankees to sign him. And Cashman does like him.

Secondly a SS with a noodle arm couldn't play that position. He may get back his arm strength in two years like the pitchers but then 'home town discount' extension is really not a discount at all as you just pay $8-10m for his rehab next season.
    I think Didi could slide over to 2b fairly easily.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

That's way too high for him. Maybe 6/90ish. Free market without injury I think he'd land a $15M AAV.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Maybe 6/90ish. Free market without injury I think he'd land a $15M AAV.
    After checking the highest AAVs for shortstop these days, you're probably correct. I'm guessing this financial decision is probably going to affect other financial decisions going forward this winter, as the club begins building a championship contender.

He might be back to play 50 games, but it’s also possible that he could miss the season. Tough call.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I think Didi could slide over to 2b fairly easily.
    He definitely could. He has played there before. He and Andrelton Simmons were childhood teammates in Curacao. He played 2B when they played together. He played 2B for Netherlands in WBC.

I would consider the non-tender option seriously but I'm not totally against the idea of extension. But the negotiation shall use 2B as the benchmark. Otherwise I don't see the benefit.

Calls a tool a tool

You cant really offer him a LTD at his preinjury market rate because of the potential seriousness of the injury to his throwing arm. If it is to be a LTD it has to be well below that rate. If he wants to be paid at market rate, then it has to be a short term extension, ie 3 years. If he or the Yankees dont want to do an extension, then either agree to avoid arbitration with 6 million, or nontender. There is no reason to pay anyone 13 million to play for 20% of a season, when that player becomes a FA after the season.

NYYF Legend

riveraveblues.com/2018/11/didi-gregorius-five-possible-contract-scenarios-following-tommy-john-surgery-180859/

I think the smartest thing to do might be to sign Didi to a 2yr/$20M deal and not even count on him returning in 2019. $8M this year and $12M in 2020, when he should be fully recovered and will come off a typical offseason.

The sooner they can settle this dilemma the quicker they can build their 2019 team.

NYYF Cy Young

riveraveblues.com/2018/11/didi-gregorius-five-possible-contract-scenarios-following-tommy-john-surgery-180859/

I think the smartest thing to do might be to sign Didi to a 2yr/$20M deal and not even count on him returning in 2019. $8M this year and $12M in 2020, when he should be fully recovered and will come off a typical offseason.

The sooner they can settle this dilemma the quicker they can build their 2019 team.
    Thanks for the RAB article. Totally agree with you on the 2 year extension (I would even go 3 years (12M) with player option to make it look better to Didi). My concern here is a break down in negotiations. I do feel the Machado situation is a factor here. I feel I am in minority that would avoid Manny. Brian may be using this as leverage but I honestly believe Brian is doing his job and looking at all options moving forward. I don't see a non tender deadline but my question to you is this 2 weeks do we have to offer him the arbitration hearing around 12.4M or have this extension done by then? If so, these next 2 weeks are important.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    I don't see a non tender deadline but my question to you is this 2 weeks do we have to offer him the arbitration hearing around 12.4M or have this extension done by then? If so, these next 2 weeks are important.
    The way I understand it, the Yanks have until November 30th to offer Didi (and any other pre-arbitration or arbitration-eligible players) a contract for 2019. They don't have to sign him yet, but they have to offer him a contract. If they don't, he is considered to be "non-tendered" and thus becomes a free agent. If he hasn't signed a new contract by January 11th, both the team and Didi have to submit their 2019 salary figures.

I think the November 30th date is what really matters here. Yanks will probably know what they're going to do by Thanksgiving. You're right, these next couple of weeks are important for us Yankee fans.

NYYF Cy Young

The way I understand it, the Yanks have until November 30th to offer Didi (and any other pre-arbitration or arbitration-eligible players) a contract for 2019. They don't have to sign him yet, but they have to offer him a contract. If they don't, he is considered to be "non-tendered" and thus becomes a free agent. If he hasn't signed a new contract by January 11th, both the team and Didi have to submit their 2019 salary figures.

I think the November 30th date is what really matters here. Yanks will probably know what they're going to do by Thanksgiving. You're right, these next couple of weeks are important for us Yankee fans.
    Thanks. I expect Brian at least offer a contract to Didi and hope Brian can work out an extension. Even though SP is my top priority I want Happ (just do it) and Eovaldi this is still an important spot. The good news if this extension doesn't work out - I read that Machado value appears to be dropping because not many teams are interested (not surprised) but it's more his contact than being a jerk that bothers me. He sucked for LAD and honestly don't feel he it that great upgrade for the money. Sometimes I think it more Brian than the team.

Thread Information