+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 15 16 17 18

Re: 2018 Didi Gregorius Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    I don't think this is something you can tough out and play with. You can't swing the bat.
    We also don't know the full extent of the cartilage damage and what part of the wrist it's in, and I would imagine that makes a big difference. Whatever the extent it's not going to heal for a long time.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    I don't think this is something you can tough out and play with. You can't swing the bat.

Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Didi is a gamer for sure.

The current estimate is that Didi will return to action in June 2019 if the surgery is done soon. That means he will miss April, May and part of June 2019.

For Hal and Cashman, the No. 2 priority (No. 1 being to acquire a top of the line starting pitcher via a trade or free agency) is to outbid everyone for Manny Machado who wants to play SS.

If Andujar doesn't improve at 3B during spring training, then he should be traded for a viable starting pitcher. 1B will be a battle between Greg Bird and Luke Voit. LF will be Clint Frazier v. Ellsbury. 3B will be Walker v. Hechavarria. Machado will switch to 3B once Didi returns to action.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    The current estimate is that Didi will return to action in June 2019 if the surgery is done soon. That means he will miss April, May and part of June 2019.

For Hal and Cashman, the No. 2 priority (No. 1 being to acquire a top of the line starting pitcher via a trade or free agency) is to outbid everyone for Manny Machado who wants to play SS.

If Andujar doesn't improve at 3B during spring training, then he should be traded for a viable starting pitcher. 1B will be a battle between Greg Bird and Luke Voit. LF will be Clint Frazier v. Ellsbury. 3B will be Walker v. Hechavarria. Machado will switch to 3B once Didi returns to action.
    They should sign Machado, but to play third base. Put Torres at SS and sign Walker to play 2b. I’d much rather have that than another half-season of Andújar at 3b.

I didn't catch what Boone and Cash had to say this past Friday but Has there been any mention if Didi could start the season as a DH. Similar to what the Angels are trying with Ohtani next year? My guess is most likely not since that would muck up the DH spot but I thought it worth bringing up at the very least.

I believe management has Stanton pencilled in the DH spot for the long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post

Why resign Hechavrria is Wade is around?

NYYF Cy Young

They will probably resign Walker unless he gets a better deal for more years or money. I think the 4M for 1 year was fair but you never know. Walker at 2B and Torres at SS. The name I want to mention because he fell off the grid is Torreyes. He never got back from his crisis and hope to see him in ST. I know the he doesn't fit the mode but maybe that's is the Yankee's problem. No way I would sign Manny unless he takes 1 year and that's not going to happen but I would kick the tire.

Frankly, I think Walker is toast.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Frankly, I think Walker is toast.
    Not very comforting when I think of Hechavarria. I don't like Wade's hitting but great defense.

Estrada is playing in Arizona and I hope he starts hitting because I believe Torreyes is our best option if we don't sign Walker. (Florial is there too but don't know why we don't have one of our top pitching pitchers because it's our need like Sheffield)

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/afl/club.jsp?team_id=454

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    They will probably resign Walker unless he gets a better deal for more years or money. I think the 4M for 1 year was fair but you never know. Walker at 2B and Torres at SS. The name I want to mention because he fell off the grid is Torreyes. He never got back from his crisis and hope to see him in ST. I know the he doesn't fit the model but maybe that's the Yankee's problem. No way I would sign Manny unless he takes 1 year and that's not going to happen but I would kick the tire.
    I thought this was an interesting read:

https://nypost.com/2018/10/13/didi-g...manny-machado/

I'm thinking there are several choices that can be considered (other than signing Machado) and the two that appeal to me the most is acquiring Jurickson Profar (for the right price) to play SS, or re-signing Neil Walker to play 2B with Torres moving to SS, and Torreyes and/or Wade backing them both up.

Both players are switch hitters - which adds an important lefty batter up to the lineup most of the time. Offensively, Profar's productivity should help replace most of Didi's. We pretty much know what Walker will do with about 100-130 games/300-400 PAs as a lefty. Both are good enough hitters to use as a DH as needed.

Both are defensively versatile also. Both can back up 1B. In a pinch, Profar can be used out in LF, and Walker's a nice alternative @ 3B.

Financially, Profar is still under control for 2019 & 2020, and after arbitration still is a minimum cost ($4M-$5M in 2019?). He's a FA after the 2020 season. He could very well be a part of the Rangers' future plans, which make him valuable to them - so the Yanks would probably need to make a strong proposal.

What do you think of this offer for Profar?

Sonny Gray, Justis Sheffield and Tyler Wade. Too strong? Too weak?

I wonder if Neil would sign for 2yrs/$12M? I also wonder if some other team would offer him more guaranteed playing time, a longer term, or more money?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post

I'm thinking there are several choices that can be considered (other than signing Machado) and the two that appeal to me the most is acquiring Jurickson Profar (for the right price) to play SS, or re-signing Neil Walker to play 2B with Torres moving to SS, and Torreyes and/or Wade backing them both up.

Both players are switch hitters - which adds an important lefty batter up to the lineup most of the time. Offensively, Profar's productivity should help replace most of Didi's. We pretty much know what Walker will do with about 100-130 games/300-400 PAs as a lefty. Both are good enough hitters to use as a DH as needed.

Both are defensively versatile also. Both can back up 1B. In a pinch, Profar can be used out in LF, and Walker's a nice alternative @ 3B.

Financially, Profar is still under control for 2019 & 2020, and after arbitration still is a minimum cost ($4M-$5M in 2019?). He's a FA after the 2020 season. He could very well be a part of the Rangers' future plans, which make him valuable to them - so the Yanks would probably need to make a strong proposal.

I wonder if Neil would sign for 2yrs/$12M? I also wonder if some other team would offer him more guaranteed playing time, a longer term, or more money?
    It becomes an overpay when you include Sheffield. You already know Sonny Gray will return to being a good starting pitcher the moment he leaves the Bronx.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Cy Young

I think this is a great idea. Hope Brian sees this. I do like Profar (made 1M last year, trade Gray, one of our RHP because Sheffield is LHP, and Wade). I do feel it may take more but it is NL and they may want Gray (he has 5 pitches). It would all depend if they want Gray to make this happen.

NO WAY would I resign Walker at 12/2yrs (I don't see him getting this either) and definitely go with Torreyes over Wade.

NYYF Legend

I think this is a great idea. Hope Brian sees this. I do like Profar (made 1M last year, trade Gray, one of our RHP because Sheffield is LHP, and Wade). I do feel it may take more but it is NL and they may want Gray (he has 5 pitches). It would all depend if they want Gray to make this happen.

NO WAY would I resign Walker at 12/2yrs (I don't see him getting this either) and definitely go with Torreyes over Wade.
    Probably the only way the Rangers take Gray (who would be a pretty nice stop-gap for a rebuilding team) is to give up Sheffield. IMO Yanks have plenty of prospects who'll "move up" in value over the next couple of seasons, and IDK if the Yanks can afford to rely on Sheffield in 2019 - whereas he can probably get 25-30 starts with the Rangers as they begin to rebuild with much less pressure put on him. 2 starters to plug into their 2019 rotation in exchange for Profar? Pretty strong proposal IMO, which should attract their interest.

I don't know what you mean when you say "but it is NL".

Also, you don't think Walker easily gets a raise from $4M per season to $6M per season?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Cy Young

Probably the only way the Rangers take Gray (who would be a pretty nice stop-gap for a rebuilding team) is to give up Sheffield. IMO Yanks have plenty of prospects who'll "move up" in value over the next couple of seasons, and IDK if the Yanks can afford to rely on Sheffield in 2019 - whereas he can probably get 25-30 starts with the Rangers as they begin to rebuild with much less pressure put on him. 2 starters to plug into their 2019 rotation in exchange for Profar? Pretty strong proposal IMO, which should attract their interest.

I don't know what you mean when you say "but it is NL".

Also, you don't think Walker easily gets a raise from $4M per season to $6M per season?
    Name me a solid LHP prospect that we have that can pitch in majors? We have about 5 RHP BETTER than Sheffield that we can move one of them. I would NOT include Sheffield. The NL part was my bias to NL pitching. It would all depend if TEX wants Gray.

Walker is a bench player who in my opinion not a switch hitter and the opposing coach will always make a pitching change to a lefty with an overall 0.1 WAR. No (IMO Torreyes is better)

I agree with you on Profar - thanks for the article

NYYF Legend

Name me a solid LHP prospect that we have that can pitch in majors? We have about 5 RHP BETTER than Sheffield that we can move one of them. I would NOT include Sheffield.
    IMO including Sheffield is what gets the Rangers to say yes to Gray (who the Yanks need to move) and Wade (who probably still slots behind Torreyes as a utility infielder) in exchange for a guy they can very well keep. The Rangers are right to expect a Sheffield package for Profar, as badly as the Yanks could use him.

If they sign Corbin and re-sign Haap ( I posted about this in the offseason thread), that's two lefties to compliment 2 righties - a nice balance. Starters #5 & #6 can be righties or lefties from the system. Another productive righty will be just as welcome as a lefty.

The NL part was my bias to NL pitching. It would all depend if TEX wants Gray.
    This is where you're losing me. TEX is in the AL. What does the NL have to do with any of this?

Walker is a bench player who in my opinion not a switch hitter and the opposing coach will always make a pitching change to a lefty with an overall 0.1 WAR. No (IMO Torreyes is better)
    I only value Walker because of him being a decent LH bat for YS & his ability to play a decent 1B if called upon. They'll have the versatility to replace him for a RH hitter or another defensive option as needed. I inferred that 100-120 games/300-400 ABs as being worth $6M per season for two seasons, especially with Walker's proven past success.

I agree with you on Profar.
    I like the option of acquiring Profar over the idea of re-signing Walker. But it'll cost a pretty penny. Thankfully, the Yanks have a few shiny pennies in their system, so they can afford to give up Sheffield - who's only proven to be a highly-rated prospect, nothing more at this point.

Profar makes sense but no chance they’re giving up Sheffield for him unless they’re giving up on Sheff which I doubt. They’re not going to give up a top prospect for a short term replacement that will turn into a swing player when everyone is healthy.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Profar makes sense but no chance they’re giving up Sheffield for him unless they’re giving up on Sheff which I doubt. They’re not going to give up a top prospect for a short term replacement that will turn into a swing player when everyone is healthy.
    I wonder if extending Profar over the next year or two (since he's a little younger) could be an alternative to re-upping with Didi? In other words, couldn't he have much more value than a "swing player", going forward? Didi will be a pretty expensive FA, even after missing most of 2019.

It wouldn't be "giving up" on Sheffield as much as it would be a sound decision, IMO. You have to give up talent to get talent, and they're also crossing "move Sonny Gray" off their to-do list.

I'd give up Sheffield not only to fill a present role but to give Cashman more financial flexibility, and the organization has several prospects that can be the next Sheffield.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    It becomes an overpay when you include Sheffield. You already know Sonny Gray will return to being a good starting pitcher the moment he leaves the Bronx.
    What Sonny Gray becomes after the Yankees trade him won’t increase his trade value.

I wonder if extending Profar over the next year or two (since he's a little younger) could be an alternative to re-upping with Didi? In other words, couldn't he have much more value than a "swing player", going forward? Didi will be a pretty expensive FA, even after missing most of 2019.

It wouldn't be "giving up" on Sheffield as much as it would be a sound decision, IMO. You have to give up talent to get talent, and they're also crossing "move Sonny Gray" off their to-do list.

I'd give up Sheffield not only to fill a present role but to give Cashman more financial flexibility, and the organization has several prospects that can be the next Sheffield.
    Profar isn’t a good defensive SS though. Signing Didi to an extension is a no brainer and I’d use this period where he is injured as leverage if I could. Our infield defense was terrible last year with Didi the only thing keeping it from being historically bad.

Profar is a once great prospect that has been oft injured and had one good not great year. In this lineup he’d be a bottom of the order hitter. And he’s got 2 years of control. You don’t trade your best prospect for a good role player. You could sign someone like Eduardo Escobar to a 2yr deal and get a similar player to Profar while only giving up money. Why deal your top prospect?

Getting Profar isn’t a bad idea trading premium assets to do so is.

NYYF Legend

If something doesn't make sense, I'd just go Hech at SS. Super defender. Sign Donaldson. You should have more than enough offense from the infield. Also, defense if Gleyber stops making dumb errors would be terrific for once.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    What Sonny Gray becomes after the Yankees trade him won’t increase his trade value.
    Regardless of your opinion, it’s a gross overpay to trade Gray and Sheffield in a package for Profar....
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Thread Information