+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Rare Footage with Sound Yankee Stadium 1931

NYYF Legend

Re: Rare Footage with Sound Yankee Stadium 1931

Saw this the other day. Tremendous stuff. This was actually Joe McCarthy's very first game as Yankee manager.

MLB Mgr or Camp Counselor? ArodEra's Avatar

Awesome. Thanks for posting this.
    Call me an anti-Semite? Stop it! Iím anti-termite :
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmRm7jfVAAANxs4.jpg

Give me your tired, your poor, your rock throwers...

This is fascinating. And chill-inducing! And I'm only 3 minutes in! Gehrig was mountain of a man!
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    This is fascinating. And chill-inducing! And I'm only 3 minutes in! Gehrig was mountain of a man!
    This would be the year he drove in an AL-record 185 runs.

I've always been struck by the enormity of the bleachers back then. Quite possibly more capacity than a few MLB parks had had only a few years earlier. Also the fact that all the men (even the boys) wore ties to the game. Everybody wore hats. And the irony of an integrated bleacher crowd watching a segregated game.

The OF was IMMENSE. Jeez.

When they were panning the crowd at one point I felt a strong pang of sadness for the old place. I don't think I'll ever get over that.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

NYYF Legend

Using available hints from the intertitles, this footage of Ruth and company can be reliably placed in 1920:

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Always fascinated by these films. Notice all those hats on the men, and the more formal their attire than we're used to seeing today. But one oddity for me, and it may have to do with the way they were filmed and the quality of the film itself: the swings. They seem less full-arm-extended than today's (or those in the 1950s). More like fore-arm swings. Did anyone else have this impression?

NYYF Legend

Great film. Have you ever seen film of the 1952 WS? Yankees vs. Dodgers...awesome!:

Fascinating to see that the stands are completely integrated in 1931. I don't know why that surprises me, but it does. Good to see.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowRollerToFirst View Post
    Fascinating to see that the stands are completely integrated in 1931. I don't know why that surprises me, but it does. Good to see.
    The bleachers were integrated. Maybe the rest of the Stadium was, too, but I couldnít see it in that film.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The bleachers were integrated. Maybe the rest of the Stadium was, too, but I couldn’t see it in that film.
    Hard to tell for sure given the distance and primitive film quality but there appears to be a gentleman of color in the grandstand beginning about 5:45. This is a sequence with Mayor Jimmy Walker, the one that begins with a young George Jessel greeting him, "How are ya?" Look at the woman to Walker's right (in our view) with the black stole and cloche hat, then eye a straight line back from her, up, up, up until you're almost perpendicular to the support column. There's Waldo!

I know the Polo Grounds stands were integrated by the late 1930s when my mom first starting going to games there, and there were no officially segregated grandstands in MLB after 1944 (St. Louis), for whatever that's worth.

I'm guessing the YS grandstand in 1931 was officially integrated but nearly all-white due to a) pricing, and b) the likelihood that the reception to minorities was noticeably chillier in the well-heeled sections than in areas more frequently patronized by the working class.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Hard to tell for sure given the distance and primitive film quality but there appears to be a gentleman of color in the grandstand beginning about 5:45. This is a sequence with Mayor Jimmy Walker, the one that begins with a young George Jessel greeting him, "How are ya?" Look at the woman to Walker's right (in our view) with the black stole and cloche hat, then eye a straight line back from her, up, up, up until you're almost perpendicular to the support column. There's Waldo!

I know the Polo Grounds stands were integrated by the late 1930s when my mom first starting going to games there, and there were no officially segregated grandstands in MLB after 1944 (St. Louis), for whatever that's worth.

I'm guessing the YS grandstand in 1931 was officially integrated but nearly all-white due to a) pricing, and b) the likelihood that the reception to minorities was noticeably chillier in the well-heeled sections than in areas more frequently patronized by the working class.
    Yep, I see the guy you mean, and your theory makes sense. Maybe he was Cuban.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yep, I see the guy you mean, and your theory makes sense. Maybe he was Cuban.
    I doubt ticket agents or ushers investigated his lineage. Dark-skinned Cuban players were subject to the color line as surely as those of more immediate African descent (Cuban HOFer Martin Dihigo for one was kept out, among many others), while more light-skinned Cubans such as Dolf Luque and Mike Gonzalez were allowed in. Purely arbitrary based on a rough consensus on "looks." There was no "be nice to Cubans" exception for players and I can't imagine there was one for fans.

I think our guy just had the jack for a pricier seat and either was unaware of how he was likely to be received in the 1931 version of "moat seats" ... or didn't care. Maybe the white guy next to him was a friend who ran some interference for him. Who the hell knows, we'll never know. It is my impression based on admittedly limited information, though, that people of color were not BY POLICY barred from the YS grandstand in 1931.

Totally unrelated observation: Red Ruffing's delivery is awful. How did he generate enough speed to win 273 games? At least Wilcy Moore looks like he's cranking up and winging it.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I doubt ticket agents or ushers investigated his lineage. Dark-skinned Cuban players were subject to the color line as surely as those of more immediate African descent (Cuban HOFer Martin Dihigo for one was kept out, among many others), while more light-skinned Cubans such as Dolf Luque and Mike Gonzalez were allowed in. Purely arbitrary based on a rough consensus on "looks." There was no "be nice to Cubans" exception for players and I can't imagine there was one for fans.

I think our guy just had the jack for a pricier seat and either was unaware of how he was likely to be received in the 1931 version of "moat seats" ... or didn't care. Maybe the white guy next to him was a friend who ran some interference for him. Who the hell knows, we'll never know. It is my impression based on admittedly limited information, though, that people of color were not BY POLICY barred from the YS grandstand in 1931.

Totally unrelated observation: Red Ruffing's delivery is awful. How did he generate enough speed to win 273 games? At least Wilcy Moore looks like he's cranking up and winging it.
    There was an old joke about a scout going to look at a prospect. When he saw the player, the scout said, "Iím sorry, my team donít consider African-American young men," or words to that effect. His friend talked him into staying to watch the game. The young player in question came to bat in the first innng - with the scout still grumbling - and hit a line shot up the alley. By the time he was sliding into third base, the scout was on his feet yelling, "Look at that Cuban boy go!"

The joke is a lot older than I am, and thatís where I got the reference.

Thread Information