+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Greg Bird OUT 6 to 8 Weeks - Bone Spurs Ankle Surgery

Lets be real, this is big news, albeit awful news, thus it deserves its own thread.

The surgery will be performed on Tuesday, March 27

https://twitter.com/YankeesPR/status/978362019026960385

Dammit
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Re: Greg Bird OUT 6 to 8 Weeks - Bone Spurs Ankle Surgery

So best case scenario he could theoretically be back by mid May, but is it ever the best case scenario with this guy?

I don't think so. Its more likely we'll see him in June, barring no further setbacks.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    So best case scenario he could theoretically be back by mid May, but is it ever the best case scenario with this guy?

I don't think so. Its more likely we'll see him in June, barring no further setbacks.
    Seems like there are always setbacks for him.........
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

In the meantime, IMO we should just bring Andujar back to play 1B

The kid can hit and his problem, if he has one, is throwing the ball, not fielding it.

Oh and so much for the debate about whether or not we should use Bird to break-up the righties.

Now it better be Judge, Stanton and Sanchez at 2, 3 and 4, in that order, end of story.

Neil Walker will fill the void just fine, I知 not worried.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
    I thought he was supposed to be starting at 2B?

So if we move Walker to 1B and Drury stays at 3B, what do we do at 2B, bring back Torres?

Ot do we move Drury back to 2B and bring back Andujar to play 3B?

Well the real worry is if Bird will ever be injury free and play a full season or 2.

So if we move Walker to 1B and Drury stays at 3B, what do we do at 2B, bring back Torres?

No, Tyler Wade can start at 2B

Wade should start at 2nd

I feel some panic here.
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

NYYF Cy Young

I am willing to believe in Bird even after this 6-8 weeks, but it's undeniable that we have to start thinking about other long-term solutions. Here are what I see as our options--

1) Free agency: a laughably poor 1B market in 2019. The class is headlined by a 35-year-old Joe Mauer, who played a league average 1B in 2017 and is in rapid decline. Other names include Matt Adams, Duda, Parmelee, and our old friend Chris Carter.

2) Trade: This is always the most difficult option to project. I'm looking at teams with an above-average 1B with team control whose windows of contention might be closing. Or alternatively, young teams who are trying to move an established, costly veteran to make room for a prospect (much like we did with McCann/Sanchez). I think the following guys could be in play:

Goldschmidt
    Belt
    Carlos Santana
    Jose Abreu
    Matt Carpenter
    Smoak
    (is it possible?) Miggy
    Gurriel
    Bour

Out of all of these, I think Bour is the most attainable option. We all know how Miami loves to cut payroll, and the trading history is there. He's good, not heinously expensive, and will likely be traded eventually anyway. If I'm the Yankees, I target Bour as a Bird replacement.

3) Internal: The 1B cupboard is kind of dry. You have, (in my opinion of) order from best to worst:

McKinney
    Austin
    Ford
    Everyone Else

I don't think any of these men are long term solutions at 1B.

And finally, my favorite--

4) Getting Creative: I think this is the option we will see. Some poor sap who doesn't currently play 1B will be pressed into 1B duty, because there aren't many other options. There are many examples of guys playing 1st who haven't done so before, and they range from moderately successful (Mauer) to putrid (Hanley). Andujar's name has been thrown around, too, but a) it's widely known that his best tool is his Howitzer arm, and b) you're torching his value if you move an adequate-fielding 3B to 1B. I don't want to do that to Andujar. What if we did something like the Marlins just did, though, in trading for Dee Gordon only to put him at a different position?
    On the other hand, you have different fingers.

my blog: http://nybaseballoffice.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I feel some panic here.
    Only from silly people, we have so much depth and this is why you build depth.

No, Tyler Wade can start at 2B
    Quote Originally Posted by therealandyandy View Post
    Wade should start at 2nd
    Ah okay, I don't know why I forgot about Wade, I really like him too.

In that case, YES, Walker at 1B is a no brainer until Bird gets back.

Thanks guys.

NYYF Legend

If they bring up Austin and he platoons with Walker at 1B we should still get a lot more production at that position than last year with Carter. They could always re-sign Lind but somehow I doubt that happening.

It will be a platoon of Austin/Walker at 1B (although Boone said Austin would likely hit against some righties too) and Wade as the main 2B, and it puts Torres and Andujar that much closer to coming back. I'd rather have a healthy Bird in there, but I don't think it's an especially big deal, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    It will be a platoon of Austin/Walker at 1B (although Boone said Austin would likely hit against some righties too) and Wade as the main 2B, and it puts Torres and Andujar that much closer to coming back. I'd rather have a healthy Bird in there, but I don't think it's an especially big deal, honestly.
    I agree as I知 looking forward to seeing if Austin can take advantage of this Bird situation.
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

I agree as I知 looking forward to seeing if Austin can take advantage of this Bird situation.
    Yeah, what I like about is it gives the two Tylers, Austin and Wade, a chance to show what they've got before Torres and Andujar are ready in a month or two. Show us what you got, boys, or move aside and make way.

The biggest winner here, though of course you hate to win at the expense of a teammate this way, and a really valuable one to the team, but the guy who has the most to gain is Tyler Wade. He was likely to be in a platoon at 2B with Todd Walker, now he's way more likely to get his chance to prove himself as an everyday player. This is a golden opportunity for Wade.

Hopefully he takes advantage of it, or he may never get another chance like this again.

I wouldn't say his career is done, that is an exaggeration. But I will say I do think it's time we explore other long term options, doesn't have to be this year; we are more than fine for 2018. You just need to be prepared for the future of Bird.

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/ballpark...398-1061893083

Enough of this Bird Talk. what you guys think about new food menu at Yankees Stadium for 2018.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Yep. Really Not happy because I thought this was done last year by this same doctor I agree about having Bird back healthy. Walker may platoon with Wade. It will be interesting to see how Wade bats when he will be playing most of the time and if Austin can improve against righties - Wrc+ 11.... This is Austin and Wade opportunities. I would like to see either McKinney or Ford if Austin doesn't hit. 6- 8 weeks could be worst.

Given that 1B production held this team hostage last year, I'm okay with there being some panic with Bird hurting yet again. That said, I think they have enough options (Walker, Austin, Billy McKinney, Andujar) to get by until Bird gets back on the field.

NYYF Legend

I feel some panic here.
    I don't know about panic but I for one was looking forward to what Bird could do with a full healthy season.

Now after losing seasons to shoulder and foot injuries the foot injury is back this year.

It's not unrealistic to think this foot think could be a chronic problem as it took several tries last year to fix it and he seems to be having the same issue again this year.

I hope this surgery is successful and his rehab is a quick and clean one but given his history there is no guarantee that will happen.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Hoping to hear more about this. Freak accident or does he have feet that are always going to give him trouble?
    Let the kids play.

Thread Information