+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Re: Greg Bird OUT 6 to 8 Weeks - Bone Spurs Ankle Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    The under on the over/under 40 home run poll is looking pretty good right now
    Seattle's single season HR record is probably safe too.

I was convinced Bird was going to hit 30+ if he played all year, maybe closer to 40
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

NYYF Legend

Bird will probably need about another few weeks of playing every day in Scranton after he comes back, so I think it's realistic to say he won't be ready until after the ASB.

Mike Ford - L - league minimum
    Brandon Moss - L - league minimum
    Mark Reynolds - R - ??

Any of these guys can be cut loose in June/July

I want a LH hitter
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post

I feel some panic here.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post

From 1 poster. And only from 1 poster.
    I'm not panicking, I'm just being realistic.

All off season most of us were really excited about what Bird could do if he stayed healthy. Most of us saw him having a breakout year, between 30 and 40 HR's. I'm not gonna turn around now and say losing Bird for two months is no big deal. It is a big deal. I still think we're better equipped than last year to overcome it, and I still think we're gonna win the AL East, but it just got a lot harder ... and don't think they aren't celebrating in Boston, they know how good this kid can be too.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    I'm not gonna turn around now and say losing Bird for two months is no big deal.
    I will, it is no big deal.

If he can't stay healthy after that then it is

Guy just can't stay healthy. Really a shame...

In the meantime, IMO we should just bring Andujar back to play 1B

The kid can hit and his problem, if he has one, is throwing the ball, not fielding it.

What has been shown to warrant him coming up to play somewhere he has never played? this makes no sense other then the over love over him on here.

NYYF Legend

Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

I feel so bad for Bird getting the Nick Johnson treatment from the baseball gods. I really like the kid and want him to do well. When I first saw the headline earlier I thought it was last years news being rehashed but unfortunately I was wrong.
    "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

I love baseball in general and the Yankees just happen to be my favorite team since I knew what baseball was.

Bird is still only 25 years old so I wouldnít write him off yet. Also keep in mind that it took the Yankees months to even diagnose what was wrong with Bird last year, whereas it looks at least like he has a legit diagnosis and treatment plan.

Let him sit/rest-up April & May and we will see him June 1st hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by TorreFan66 View Post
    Bird is still only 25 years old so I wouldn’t write him off yet. Also keep in mind that it took the Yankees months to even diagnose what was wrong with Bird last year, whereas it looks at least like he has a legit diagnosis and treatment plan.

Let him sit/rest-up April & May and we will see him June 1st hopefully.
    If he doesn't have anymore setbacks and is back by late May or early June, I still like our chances of winning the AL East. It will be harder now, but we can hold the fort at 1B better than we could last year for 6 to 8 Weeks. But its really important that there are no setbacks and 6 to 8 Weeks doesn't become July or August.

If he doesn't have anymore setbacks and is back by late May or early June, I still like our chances of winning the AL East. It will be harder now, but we can hold the fort at 1B better than we could last year for 6 to 8 Weeks. But its really important that there are no setbacks and 6 to 8 Weeks doesn't become July or August.
    Honestly I don't think it matters much either way, in two months Torres and Andujar should both be ready also and we will have a ton of options. If we lost Sanchez or Judge or Stanton or Severino, that would be a much bigger deal, as the dropoff from all of those guys to their replacements would be much larger than that of Bird to his.

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Although losing Bird hurts, I don't think it significantly impacts whether or not this team wins the East. This was a good enough team before they added Stanton. So instead of Stanton simply being a nice luxury, his presence now at least neutralizes Bird's loss. Bird coming back will just make an already strong team that much more formidable.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Honestly I don't think it matters much either way, in two months Torres and Andujar should both be ready also and we will have a ton of options. If we lost Sanchez or Judge or Stanton or Severino, that would be a much bigger deal, as the dropoff from all of those guys to their replacements would be much larger than that of Bird to his.
    Agreed, for sure, because those guys have already shown you what they can do, there's no wishful thinking, you know those guys are dominators. Bird, on the other hand, is still a projection guy, its still based on potential. Until he stays healthy for a full season and actually dominates like those other guys, its just potential, and potential is another way of saying "you look the part and have done well in spurts, but you still haven't done it over a full season."

So this is related to last years bone issue?

It's not really an injury, but an abnormality?

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Krall View Post
    So this is related to last years bone issue?

It's not really an injury, but an abnormality?
    I suspect that it is related in some manner.

Unlike others, though, I am not willing to label Bird fragile. I think he will be back by the 1st of June, which is about when a 60-day DL would be up.

The irony here is that putting Bird on the 60-day DL would allow them to activate Mike Ford and give him an opportunity if they desire.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

This is far worse for Bird than for the Yankees. New York has money under the luxury tax threshold to spend, prospects to trade, and at least a few internal options who won't be utterly embarrassing at the position for a month or two. Another lost or majority-lost season for Bird and his ability to earn significant money before or after free agency is at real risk.

Obviously I'm rooting for Bird to come back in early June and add another weapon to this lineup, but if that doesn't happen, I don't think the Yankees' outlook changes particularly this year.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

No panic we are in 1st Place today

We have depth on the 40 man roster to cover Bird's injury and other injuries this year. All other teams will have injured players this year too.

Going to opening day with a smile on my face ... it's going to be a fun 2018 Yankees season

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I suspect that it is related in some manner.

Unlike others, though, I am not willing to label Bird fragile. I think he will be back by the 1st of June, which is about when a 60-day DL would be up.

The irony here is that putting Bird on the 60-day DL would allow them to activate Mike Ford and give him an opportunity if they desire.
    Given how conservatively the Yankees view injuries and rehab time, my uneducated guess is June 1st just gets Bird back on the field. Then he'll probably need a few weeks of game experience in Scranton to get some timing & build up stamina. I'm thinking it would be wise to have him ready for right after the ASB.

I'd really like to see Mike Ford, a lefty, get a chance to platoon with Austin and Walker/Wade sharing 2B until then.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Starting to think the ship has sailed on Bird. There aren't a lot of success stories from guys who start their career out this injury riddled.

That said, I know they were hoping to have him, but I don't consider him essential for our success. Hope he can get healthy. Not his fault. Just the hand he was dealt.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Given how conservatively the Yankees view injuries and rehab time, my uneducated guess is June 1st just gets Bird back on the field. Then he'll probably need a few weeks of game experience in Scranton to get some timing & build up stamina. I'm thinking it would be wise to have him ready for right after the ASB.

I'd really like to see Mike Ford, a lefty, get a chance to platoon with Austin and Walker/Wade sharing 2B until then.
    After the ASB! This surgery is kind of minor and is very common, people have it done all the time. What happen last year with him was abnormal and rare, this year itís the opposite of that. If heís not playing in rehab games by the end of May, Iíll be surprise despite his injury history. Letís remember that last year, once his foot injury was properly diagnosed and treated he was back playing in rehab games in the same 6-8 week time frame.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    I will, it is no big deal.

If he can't stay healthy after that then it is
    I don't feel it's that bad being 6-8 weeks but he has to not only stay healthy but play good. If he doesn't I hope we give McKinney and Ford (whoever is doing better in SWB) the opportunity. I said this before. Not as bad as last year, opportunity for both Austin and Wade to prove themselves they belong, and we can see if McKinney (or Ford) will be next year's 1B. I do like Bird but this may be chronic.

Is bringing back Adam Lind an option?

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...r_mobile_index
    Sure, the Yankees could do that because Lind still is a free agent again after being signed by them on March 3 and released on March 14, but according to GM Brian Cashman, the plan is to fill Birdís void from within.

Lind hit well as a part-time player in 2017 for Washington, batting .303 with 14 homers and 59 RBIs in 267 at-bats, but he was just 3-for-15 in five games with the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    Is bringing back Adam Lind an option?

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...r_mobile_index
    Sure, the Yankees could do that because Lind still is a free agent again after being signed by them on March 3 and released on March 14, but according to GM Brian Cashman, the plan is to fill Birdís void from within.

Lind hit well as a part-time player in 2017 for Washington, batting .303 with 14 homers and 59 RBIs in 267 at-bats, but he was just 3-for-15 in five games with the Yankees.
    Heís an option that wonít be explored until they think their internal options are not the solution and/or that Bird has a setback during rehab.

Apparently this bone spur broke off so its a loose body that they can remove without being too invasive. Boone stated he will only be in a walking boot for a few days. If he’s able to resume working out in four weeks after the small incision has healed enough to do so, he might be back before June. What we don’t know is whether they need to go in there to do some grinding on any bone spur still left intact? That could cause some delay in the rehab process. The weirdest experience I’ve had was being wide awake as a surgeon did the same to me a number of years ago. Of course the area was numbed up, but I could still feel him in there like a dentist pulling out a wisdom tooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    My only concern is that he was supposed to be the LH power bat in a lineup that is RH-heavy.
    This is my issue. Bird provided some balance in this lineup, balance that they haven't had in a long time. Maybe it won't matter all that much over 162 but, man, he was the one guy I wanted to see at the plate in the playoffs last year.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Thread Information