+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Re: Greg Bird OUT 6 to 8 Weeks - Bone Spurs Ankle Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post

I'd rather have a healthy Bird in there, but I don't think it's an especially big deal, honestly.
    Here's why I think its a big deal ...

IMO the Yankees probably win the AL East if they had Bird all year in 2017, instead they had to settle for a Wild Card, which of course is a much harder road to travel. So while admittedly we are better positioned to cushion the blow this year than we were last year with Chris Carter, who was awful, I still believed Bird was going to have a breakout season and be a big part of the reason why we overtake the Red Sox and win the division. Now that just got harder.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Bye Bye Birdie

Cant waste anymore time on him thinking he is the future.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Here's why I think its a big deal ...

IMO the Yankees probably win the AL East if they had Bird all year in 2017, instead they had to settle for a Wild Card, which of course is a much harder road to travel. So while admittedly we are better positioned to cushion the blow this year than we were last year with Chris Carter, who was awful, I still believed Bird was going to have a breakout season and be a big part of the reason why we overtake the Red Sox and win the division. Now that just got harder.
    1) NY had the most HRs in MLB in 2017 and scored the second most runs, plus they added freaking Giancarlo Stanton this winter, scoring runs was not and is not the problem (except against the Astros in the ALCS, and Bird was around for that). They didn't win the division because they way underperformed their run differential (and because Boston had a crazy record in extra innings, 15-3 I think?), which I'd chalk up primarily to a surprisingly spotty bullpen, which now has a lot more options than it did for the first half of last year (Robertson, Kahnle, Green).

2) Winning the division last year would have just meant playing Houston a round earlier, not sure how that would have been better.

3) Last year when Bird and Austin went down, Chris Carter was our only option, not counting guys like Choi and Cooper. This year we have a healthy Austin, Walker, maybe Drury, McKinney and Ford.

Cue the excuses... "Oh, now we know why he struggled in the preseason. He was hiding an injury." Just end the bird experiment already.

NYYF Cy Young

I wonder if his foot was bothering him during this Spring Training because last year before he fouled the ball off his ankle he hit like 300 and this year 160. We need him healthy in our lineup.

1) NY had the most HRs in MLB in 2017 and scored the second most runs, plus they added freaking Giancarlo Stanton this winter, scoring runs was not and is not the problem (except against the Astros in the ALCS, and Bird was around for that). They didn't win the division because they way underperformed their run differential (and because Boston had a crazy record in extra innings, 15-3 I think?), which I'd chalk up primarily to a surprisingly spotty bullpen, which now has a lot more options than it did for the first half of last year (Robertson, Kahnle, Green).

2) Winning the division last year would have just meant playing Houston a round earlier, not sure how that would have been better.

3) Last year when Bird and Austin went down, Chris Carter was our only option, not counting guys like Choi and Cooper. This year we have a healthy Austin, Walker, maybe Drury, McKinney and Ford.
    Unless Austin can keep his average above .230 while cutting down on his strike outd, I'm not interested.

Jon Abby, you don't think we win three more games with a healthy Greg Bird all year last year?

Thats all it would have taken, three more wins, and we win the AL East.

I have no doubt we win those three more games if Bird didn't miss 3/4 of the season.

How bout you?
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Jon Abby, you don't think we win three more games with a healthy Greg Bird all year last year?

I have no doubt we win those three more games if Bird didn't miss 3/4 of the season.

How bout you?
    Maybe, but so what? Then we play Houston a round earlier.

How bout you?
    Joe isn't arguing that point, he's saying they would've played Houston in the first round which could've been worse than what actually happened as they might have been knocked out of the playoffs then.

NYYF Legend

The worry/depression I have is because it's appears to be a repeat/chronic thing now.

Everything else previously was just one-time and/or bad luck/weirdness.

I'm looking forward to him hopefully being healthy in 8 weeks - I can't quit Bird's awesomeness as a hitter so easily.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    The worry/depression I have is because it's appears to be a repeat/chronic thing now.

Everything else previously was just one-time and/or bad luck/weirdness.

I'm looking forward to him hopefully being healthy in 8 weeks - I can't quit Bird's awesomeness as a hitter so easily.
    It is something that Cashman has to remain cognizant of going forward as he constructs his 40 and 25 man rosters.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Joe isn't arguing that point, he's saying they would've played Houston in the first round which could've been worse than what actually happened as they might have been knocked out of the playoffs then.
    That may be true, in this case we were probably better off, but that was a unique situation. There still isn't a baseball fan, or Yankee fan, in America who would rather win the wild card this year than the division title, and I'm saying that just got harder because we lost Bird for about two months. Thats why its a big deal too me. Its a big hit. I'm not gonna minimize it.

NYYF Legend

Maybe, but so what? Then we play Houston a round earlier.
    So true. As it turned out Yankees were probably better off not finishing first last year. We ended up having a long playoff run and we were happy even know we did not get to the WS. Doubt we would have felt as good had they lost to Houston in the first round.

There still isn't a baseball fan, or Yankee fan, in America who would rather win the wild card this year than the division title
    Which is why it will be nice to have Tyler Austin on the roster against Sale and Price and Pomeranz, since he kills lefties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmtd07K18c4

NYYF Legend

How bout you?
    And how many more games could they have won if they had dumped Clippard earlier? Any number of factors could have gotten you those three wins. But then everything else would have been different so who knows. I am happy the way things turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    So true. As it turned out Yankees were probably better off not finishing first last year. We ended up having a long playoff run and we were happy even know we did not get to the WS. Doubt we would have felt as good had they lost to Houston in the first round.
    Yeah but that doesn't mean there is one Yankees fan who is thinking they want to win the wild card this year, then play a one game elimination where anything can happen, instead of winning the division title. Just because it worked out last year due to some quirky circumstances, you still much rather win the division. That said, losing Bird probably cost us the division title last year, and I hope it doesn't cost us the division title again this year.

Good to see at least you've moved past the "Domingo German problem".

Which is why it will be nice to have Tyler Austin on the roster against Sale and Price and Pomeranz, since he kills lefties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmtd07K18c4
    Like I said, I do believe we are better prepared to cushion the blow this year, no doubt about it, but I was really expecting a breakout year for Bird this year, in the middle of this lineup, so I think this is a pretty big hit, even though I concede we are more prepared to deal with it than last year. I hope it doesn't cost us the division by a couple of few games again.

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    https://www.mlb.com/yankees/ballpark...398-1061893083

Enough of this Bird Talk. what you guys think about new food menu at Yankees Stadium for 2018.
    My seats are upper deck, behind home plate. Looks like nothing new there.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I feel some panic here.
    From 1 poster. And only from 1 poster.

There is concern here that Bird will always be injury-prone, but I am willing to write these bone spurs off a something resulting from the surgery he had last year.

Man, he can't catch a break. Well he can, but you get what I mean.

The potential is there. He's a very productive 1st basemen when healthy. But he now will miss major time for 3 straight years. It very well might be time to look at a new future 1st basemen next offseason.

NYYF Legend

Is it possible they finally found the problem they had missed and he's good after this?

Or is the guy just brittle

Pete Caldera
    @pcaldera

Aaron Boone: 'We feel like Tyler Austin is ready for this opportunity, he was just blocked by Greg Bird.''

Will mix/match with Austin-Walker at 1B; sounding like both will be in the lineup (Walker at 2B) on opening day vs. Happ at Toronto.

The under on the over/under 40 home run poll is looking pretty good right now
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

I'n not losing sleep over Bird - it's not like he's been a major cog in this lineup that we cannot live without.

My only concern is that he was supposed to be the LH power bat in a lineup that is RH-heavy.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Thread Information