+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 104 FirstFirst ... 19 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 39 79 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

Both Holder and Cole worked out pretty well in situations where most people on the Board were jumping all over Boone for going to them.

Maybe, just maybe, Boone knows a thing or two more about the players he manages than people who are watching at home and posting on the Internet.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Both Holder and Cole worked out pretty well in situations where most people on the Board were jumping all over Boone for going to them.

Maybe, just maybe, Boone knows a thing or two more about the players he manages than people who are watching at home and posting on the Internet.
    He definitely knows his players more than us, but I completely disagree with you that him knowing Cole more than us had anything to do with Cole succeeding yesterday. Heís a pitcher who has awful career numbers and he hadnít pitched in 2 weeks. That was pure luck.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    He definitely knows his players more than us, but I completely disagree with you that him knowing Cole more than us had anything to do with Cole succeeding yesterday. Heís a pitcher who has awful career numbers and he hadnít pitched in 2 weeks. That was pure luck.
    Well when your starter doesn't give you more than five innings for four straight games, you have to scrap innings from those less dependable bullpen arms. At times, you have to lose a battle in order to win a war when it comes to a 162 game baseball schedule.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Well when your starter doesn't give you more than five innings for four straight games, you have to scrap innings from those less dependable bullpen arms. At times, you have to lose a battle in order to win a war when it comes to a 162 game baseball schedule.
    No disagreement from me - my point was simply that Cole working out yesterday was pure luck, and thatís ok.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    No disagreement from me - my point was simply that Cole working out yesterday was pure luck, and thatís ok.
    At times, I rather be lucky than good.

NYYF Legend

Why would you sit Gleyber today instead of Didi against the lefty?
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Not PH Austin with Walker with 2 RISP. Righty. Dumb.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Boone is light years better than Girardi was on his best day.

Boone makes moves because he's short of options.
    Girardi made moves for the sake of making moves.

Boone plays his A+ lineup the majority of the time.
    Girardi played his A+ lineup once or twice a week.

Bullpen management is a work in progress, trending in the right direction.
    Girardi's bullpen management was unpredictable, chaotic and at times downright baffling

When Boone makes a mistake, he owns it in his post game press conference.
    When Girardi made a mistake, he lied and made up excuses in his post game press conference.
    First off, I disagree with most if not all of this. But let me humor you for a minute and say that I agree. Then what does that say about Cashman that he employed for 10 years an incompetent liar?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    First off, I disagree with most if not all of this. But let me humor you for a minute and say that I agree. Then what does that say about Cashman that he employed for 10 years an incompetent liar?
    Good evaluator of players, bad evaluator of managers? Joe Torre was here four to five years too long also and he still wasn't fired. Cashman lowballed him an offer so bad, that he was forced to resign.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Good evaluator of players, bad evaluator of managers? Joe Torre was here four to five years too long also and he still wasn't fired. Cashman lowballed him an offer so bad, that he was forced to resign.
    I believe the decision to low-ball Torre was above Cashman's pay grade back in late 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I believe the decision to low-ball Torre was above Cashman's pay grade back in late 2007.
    Yes it was. Torre and Girardi both won championships as managers here, and in Girardiís case three more as a player. Yet listening to some you would think they were both thrash.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Why would you sit Gleyber today instead of Didi against the lefty?
    Lucky for Didi we have no game today because Boone would probably have him in the lineup. But I agree why not against a LHP and have 2 days off. Just happy for him he got that 1 hit.

I actually agreed with a lot of his unpopular decisions towards the beginning of the year, but he has been absolutely awful these last few games. Pulling Tanaka at 71 pitches after retiring 10 in a row is unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    I actually agreed with a lot of his unpopular decisions towards the beginning of the year, but he has been absolutely awful these last few games. Pulling Tanaka at 71 pitches after retiring 10 in a row is unbelievable.
    How many pitches did he hang in the last few innings. Tanaka didn't have much tonight regarding his stuff. It's playing with fire letting Tanaka face Harper/Rendon/Adams. It's not like the 10 straight he retired were weakly hit balls and swings and misses.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    How many pitches did he hang in the last few innings. Tanaka didn't have much tonight regarding his stuff. It's playing with fire letting Tanaka face Harper/Rendon/Adams. It's not like the 10 straight he retired were weakly hit balls and swings and misses.
    Replacing Tanaka with Shreve is a downgrade. I don't care how many pitches he was hanging.

Replacing Tanaka with Shreve is a downgrade. I don't care how many pitches he was hanging.
    I see where you are coming from, but I disagree. Hanging Tanaka is not better than Shreve.

He was leading off, it was a tie game.

Will Sanchez get pulled for the remainder, so he can start the late game?

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    That would be an interesting way to go.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

I would not pull him. With the game tied in the 6th, we have a better chance to win this game than the Scherzer (sp)game.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Legend

The rain was coming. Tanaka wasn't coming back after a rain delay of any length, anyway.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Iíd let him finish the game and catch into the second game.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

I have no problem how Boone managed the game yesterday. He clearly knew a heavy downpour was coming so he was playing for a run. My only issue is batting Tanaka eight. I come from the school in which you want you better hitters to get the most ABs.

NYYF Legend

He would have gotten in an extra hitter, potentially with the bases loaded, and had a better chance to take the lead! Tanaka was done due to rain regardless, and he's not pitching today, so what was the upside of letting Tanaka bat?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I have no problem how Boone managed the game yesterday. He clearly knew a heavy downpour was coming so he was playing for a run. My only issue is batting Tanaka eight. I come from the school in which you want you better hitters to get the most ABs.
    I generally agree with that, but I bet there is a minuscule difference between the amount of at-bats between the 8th and 9th position in the batting order. Now, if you're talking about the top half of the batting order that's different as to the number of at-bats between the top half and bottom half.

Thread Information