+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 2624
  1. #2526

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    I don't disagree there.. All I am saying is that when people say "this is an 87 win team in a normal year" that may be correct. But it is stated with the air of it meaning the team is barely above average because 87 wins in THIS year is barely above average. If this year's Yankees team was an 87 win team in a normal year (at least by past standards) then those 87 wins probably make the playoffs.



    Example, the 2000 NY Yankees, specifically the 2000 WORLD CHAMPION NY Yankees, were an 87 win team..
    Derek Jeter destroyed the Mets in the 2000 Subway World Series.

  2. #2527

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    As a long time Yankees fan, I don't care about watching evenly matched games, but rather watch a Yankees team score big early and often and bludgeon the opposite to the tune of 8-2 on a consistent basis.

  3. #2528
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Yankees caught a break that season in that Boston had an off season. But through August that season Yankees looked like a 95 win team.
    And through August this year the Yanks looked like a 100 win team. I'm not sure what your point is here.


    In 2014 the 88 win Giants went 13-12 in september barely squeeked into the 2nd WC and won the WS


    In 2011 the 90 win St Cards had the fewest victories of any of the 8 playoff teams, got hot in October and thanks to a miss played Nelson Cruz FB in RF won the WS. That Cardinal team had no ace and no SP with an ERA+ above 110 and team ERA+ of just 99.


    So in 2 of the past 7 years just being one of the worst teams to qualify for the post season resulted in a world championship.


    The reality is get in, get hot and your team can be hoisting the trophy at the end of it.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  4. #2529
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    And through August this year the Yanks looked like a 100 win team. I'm not sure what your point is here.


    In 2014 the 88 win Giants went 13-12 in september barely squeeked into the 2nd WC and won the WS


    In 2011 the 90 win St Cards had the fewest victories of any of the 8 playoff teams, got hot in October and thanks to a miss played Nelson Cruz FB in RF won the WS. That Cardinal team had no ace and no SP with an ERA+ above 110 and team ERA+ of just 99.


    So in 2 of the past 7 years just being one of the worst teams to qualify for the post season resulted in a world championship.


    The reality is get in, get hot and your team can be hoisting the trophy at the end of it.
    I am willing to bet the teams you mentioned all had a better manager and coaching staff than the current Yankees have.

  5. #2530
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I am willing to bet the teams you mentioned all had a better manager and coaching staff than the current Yankees have.
    The Giants had a pitcher who went absolutely nuts and the Cards didn't so much win as the Rangers lost it.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  6. #2531
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I am willing to bet the teams you mentioned all had a better manager and coaching staff than the current Yankees have.
    The Cubs won the WS despite Joe Maddon trying to manage it away.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  7. #2532
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    The Giants had a pitcher who went absolutely nuts and the Cards didn't so much win as the Rangers lost it.
    Yep. Doesn't matter how you win it if you do win.

    Every division winner has roughly a 1 in 8 chance of winning the WS, give or take.
    Every wild card team has roughly a 1 in 16 chance of winning the WS.
    Every team that misses the playoffs has a 0% chance to win the WS.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  8. #2533

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    The Giants had a pitcher who went absolutely nuts and the Cards didn't so much win as the Rangers lost it.
    You were referring to Madison Baumgartner. The Panda had a major part in that WS win. The Cards' Tony Larussa wasn't too shabby.

  9. #2534

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    The Cubs won the WS despite Joe Maddon trying to manage it away.
    Joe Maddon knew Aroldis Chapman would not be resigned with the Cubs so he overused him. In Game 7, Chapman gave up a 2-run tying HR to Raji Davis, however Chapman's goat horns didn't stay on his head too long as the Cubbies won in extra innings and Chapman was the winner.

  10. #2535
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Joe Maddon knew Aroldis Chapman would not be resigned with the Cubs so he overused him. In Game 7, Chapman gave up a 2-run tying HR to Raji Davis, however Chapman's goat horns didn't stay on his head too long as the Cubbies won in extra innings and Chapman was the winner.
    I was thinking more of his mismanaging in burning Chapman in the G6 blowout. But he made several head scratching decisions that WS.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  11. #2536
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    I remember always waiting for the post game manager's Press Conference with both Torre and Girardi. Although I certainly soured on Girardi, I knew I'd get honest reactions and information from him.



    With Boone, it feels so much as canned cliques and empty platitudes....I don't even watch because I know what he will say.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

  12. #2537

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I remember always waiting for the post game manager's Press Conference with both Torre and Girardi. Although I certainly soured on Girardi, I knew I'd get honest reactions and information from him.


    With Boone, it feels so much as canned cliques and empty platitudes....I don't even watch because I know what he will say.
    "I'm not here to manage a farewell tour"
    "Stephen Drew is hitting the ball hard"
    "I didn't want to mess with the pitchers rhythm"

    Girardi lied out his rear end, and in my opinion he thought fans were stupid enough to buy it. Meaningless cliches is less offensive
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

  13. #2538
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    "I'm not here to manage a farewell tour"
    "Stephen Drew is hitting the ball hard"
    "I didn't want to mess with the pitchers rhythm"

    Girardi lied out his rear end, and in my opinion thought fans were stupid enough to buy it. Meaningless cliches is less offensive

    So we disagree. The only difference is I am not calling you stupid, while you are calling me that. Give me real energy any day. If Girardi had to lie, you could see it on his face. He hated doing so. With Boone, it is natural and effortless, and that is what Cashman wanted.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

  14. #2539
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Aaron Boone was selected as manager because of his assumed ability to get along with the players and because he's good with the media.

    Right now, these young Yankee players need a leader, a motivator, a manager that demands effort all the time, that doesn't accept mental mistakes.

    Does Boone have these qualities? I don't believe he's shown them yet. I'm anxious to see something different these last two weeks. Not "business as usual".
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  15. #2540

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    When this team went 18-1 earlier this season, Boone was enjoying his honeymoon. However, when the team has been playing just better than .500 ball, he has been under intense scrutiny.

    The key to the morass in the lineup was Judge being out since July 24th. Yes, he has been a good cheerleader in the dugout, but he is needed in the lineup where he leads by example.

    Let's see if the team wakes up from its lethargy next week when the Red Sox play them on Monday and Judge is patrolling RF.

  16. #2541

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    So we disagree. The only difference is I am not calling you stupid, while you are calling me that. Give me real energy any day. If Girardi had to lie, you could see it on his face. He hated doing so. With Boone, it is natural and effortless, and that is what Cashman wanted.
    I'm not calling anyone stupid, I'm saying Girardi thought fans were stupid enough to buy his bs


    Edit: i clarified my first post
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

  17. #2542
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    I'm not calling anyone stupid, I'm saying Girardi thought fans were stupid enough to buy his bs


    Edit: i clarified my first post

    Anyway, ok, no problem. I would like to see more intellect and more fire with Boone. If I am wrong, so be it.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

  18. #2543

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Tonight is the start of this team finally playing small ball and the result = 3-0 lead bottom of the 1st inning. Example: Stanton at 3B, Hicks at 2B with 1 out when Didi pulled a ground ball (as he should) to drive in Stanton. Then, Torres grounded a ball the other way for an RBI single.

  19. #2544

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

  20. #2545

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Good stuff. My biggest criticisms of him are in game management. It’s nice to see he’s at least taking these losses at least semi-seriously

  21. #2546

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Last night 11-0 drubbing of the awful Blue Jays is the template for each game from hereon in. Play small ball rather than aim for the fences. Get on base through walks or singles/doubles. Move the runner(s) via sac bunt. Steal the base when least expected (e.g. Gary Sanchez). Go from 1B to 3B on a single to RF by challenging the right fielder. Yankees fans want to see action on the bases.

    From a starting pitching standpoint, don't give up a HR or two in the first three innings. Each starter must strive to complete 6 innings. Then, Green (7th), Robertson or Betances (8th), and Britton (9th) can seal the deal. Show no mercy on the opposition; bludgeon them until bloody (Betance's ring finger).

  22. #2547
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Still under the unfinished breezeway

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Last night 11-0 drubbing of the awful Blue Jays is the template for each game from hereon in. Play small ball rather than aim for the fences. Get on base through walks or singles/doubles. Move the runner(s) via sac bunt. Steal the base when least expected (e.g. Gary Sanchez). Go from 1B to 3B on a single to RF by challenging the right fielder. Yankees fans want to see action on the bases.

    From a starting pitching standpoint, don't give up a HR or two in the first three innings. Each starter must strive to complete 6 innings. Then, Green (7th), Robertson or Betances (8th), and Britton (9th) can seal the deal. Show no mercy on the opposition; bludgeon them until bloody (Betance's ring finger).
    ...or, keep resting players with the season on the line.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

  23. #2548
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    ...or, keep resting players with the season on the line.
    Well we know resting players will never end

  24. #2549

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Well we know resting players will never end

    awful managing by boone putting in that bum walker over andujar...

  25. #2550

    Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

    Walker struck today with the bases loaded without nobody out.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts