NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Which Rod?
    I'm lobbying for Rod Serling.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Boone seems more competent than I initially envisioned when he got the job. Just from listening to him interact with the booth over the past few weeks I better understand the voodoo he put on the FO in his interview for the job.
    “I like numbers”

“Numbers are my friend”

“All data is important”

“Relationships are important. I like hugs.”

That’s how I envisioned the interview.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

My first impressions of Aaron Boone:

1. He was hired to create a more relaxed relationship with the players (& more importantly, the media).

2. It seems like his responses and opinions are almost scripted and unoriginal.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    “I like numbers”

“Numbers are my friend”

“All data is important”

Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    My first impressions of Aaron Boone:

1. He was hired to create a more relaxed relationship with the players (& more importantly, the media).

2. It seems like his responses and opinions are almost scripted and unoriginal.
    Yeah, that’s pretty much my impression. He doesn’t seem to be quick on his feet and appears to have the same 10 or so similar responses to any question asked. He speaks in clichés a lot. Then that voice, which, of course, has no affect on his abilities, though it hurts my ears. He sounds like Bobby Valentine on a hit or two of helium.

Based on what comes out of his mouth in interviews, he doesn’t seem to have the baseball IQ one would expect from someone who grew up in the game. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he just isn’t that good at verbalizing his thoughts to the press but does a better job with his players.

That said, I don’t know if this translates into his being a bad manager. Maybe the #1 in your post is what’s really needed to get this particular team over the top. However, in his predecessor’s defense, he took a team that was not expected to go too far to one game away from the Wold Series.

Still, from what has been written, and how today’s players need to be coddled, I think that the Yanks and Cashman probably needed to make a change. Time will tell if this was the right one, but I’m still curious how on earth Boone blew (no pun intended) Cashman away . Does he see him as more than just a good, obedient puppet?

Wow, that's pretty harsh. I was as surprised as anyone when they hired him, but I've been pleasantly surprised at how intelligent he's come across this spring. He seems really hard-working and knowledgable about NY's personnel, not just the big league locks and possibilities, but lower down farm system guys too. He seems like a good fit to me for now, better than I expected, but of course actual games haven't started yet.

I'm not questioning his hard work and ethics or whether he'll be a successful manager or not. It's just my first and relatively limited impression of him. I'm not going to predict how effective he'll be as a manager this early.

First impressions off of media interviews amount to so very little. If I wasn't a football fan and never heard of Bill Belichik, I would think to myself, "who is that guy, and why is he always mumbling?"

There was a recent article that revealed one of the many questions asked during the interview process. They presented the candidates with anonymous players with various statistical information attached to each of them. The particular question was to fill out the best lineup and explain why. I thought that was a good question with a good opportunity to probe into their thinking.

Would've been awesome to be a fly on the wall and listen to the answers from all candidates. To me, that's far more valuable than the standard press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    First impressions off of media interviews amount to so very little. If I wasn't a football fan and never heard of Bill Belichik, I would think to myself, "who is that guy, and why is he always mumbling?"

There was a recent article that revealed one of the questions asked during the interview process. They presented the candidates with anonymous players with various statistical information attached to each of them. The particular question was to fill out your best lineup and explain why. I thought that was a good question with a good opportunity to probe into their thinking.

Would've been awesome to be a fly on the wall and listen to the answers from all candidates. To me, that's far more valuable than the standard press conference.

A good, valid point.

I just hope that the extent of Boone's advice goes beyond, "Hit 'em where they ain't."

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    A good, valid point.

I just hope that the extent of Boone's advice goes beyond, "Hit 'em where they ain't."
    Boone was clearly the consensus favorite among Cashman and the front office personnel. The process never had to reach Hal and the family. I'd say there was a high probability that he didn't give that sort of answer in the interview.

Ultimately Boone will be judged on wins and losses. I don't care how boring and cliche he is. The best was Derek Jeter when it came to the press. He mastered the art of saying all the right things without really saying anything.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    There was a recent article that revealed one of the many questions asked during the interview process. They presented the candidates with anonymous players with various statistical information attached to each of them. The particular question was to fill out the best lineup and explain why. I thought that was a good question with a good opportunity to probe into their thinking.
    I was just coming here to post that. I didn't read it in an article, someone on YES (I think Singleton) mentioned it during the game on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Which Rod?
    The inanimate carbon rod

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Inani...e=FUEL_ROD.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    “I like numbers”

“Numbers are my friend”

“All data is important”

His first interviews after the season starts will be interesting. Win or loss. How he mentions players or strategy after a loss, or just the we’ll get em tomorrow deal.

as long as the words "it's not what you want" don't come out of his mouth, it's a win for everyone involved
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

Boone and his wife are good people. I wish him well and hope Yankees fans give him a chance to grow as a manager.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.3897109
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Boone and his wife are good people. I wish him well and hope Yankees fans give him a chance to grow as a manager.

What a heartwarming story.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post

Will he have to take time off when all these kids graduate from high school?

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Will he have to take time off when all these kids graduate from high school?
    I see what you did there.

I’m listening to Boone on the FAN right now. I have to admit that I’m impressed. Sounds like he’s settling in.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I’m listening to Boone on the FAN right now. I have to admit that I’m impressed. Sounds like he’s settling in.
    I just wish he had better radio hosts interviewing him.

We don't even have 1 win yet? And we got rid of Girardi for this guy!? FIRE HIM!

NYYF Legend

Very much like when he took Austin out and put Wade in. Smart. Austin shouldn't be played against anyone other than the lefty starter.

Maybe that inning gets away from Dellin and you have to bring in someone else. Wade's defense made a difference.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Overall, he wasn't really tested. However, there was no reason to pull Severino with two out in the fifth and a four run lead. That's Girardiesque.

Still like him better than Girardi though.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Overall, he wasn't really tested. However, there was no reason to pull Severino with two out in the fifth and a four run lead. That's Girardiesque.

First game. Sevy was at 91 pitches. With our pen, why push it? It's a long season. I was OK with the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post

The plan was for 90 pitches today which is why they're carrying 13 pitchers as they're slowly building up their starters arm strength. It was the plan from the start of spring training as all of their starters threw around 75-80 pitches in their spring start.

Thread Information