+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 251
  1. #201

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    When I saw Walker play last season with the Mets at 2B I thought his range really appeared to be limited. He was still sure-handed and could turn the double play, though. Steady glove but he isn't going to turn hits into outs.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  2. #202
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Adam Lind's xwOBA was even better at .371. It's kind of amazing how similar they are.

    Obviously timing mattered a lot this offseason, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's luck.
    The Yankees passed on Walker and moved to Drury because they couldn't come to an agreement on asking price. They then circled back and got Walker because the price dropped even further.

    It's all timing, and having a stacked roster that allowed them to gamble and wait. I don't think anyone saw this type of market coming.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  3. #203
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    The Yankees passed on Walker and moved to Drury because they couldn't come to an agreement on asking price. They then circled back and got Walker because the price dropped even further.

    It's all timing, and having a stacked roster that allowed them to gamble and wait. I don't think anyone saw this type of market coming.
    Masahiro Tanaka begs to differ.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  4. #204
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Masahiro Tanaka begs to differ.
    No need to beg.

    Darvish got 6/126m. Arrieta got 3/75m. Tanaka can't beat 3/67m? Doubtful.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  5. #205

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    So are we benching Neil against the Sox four lefty starters?
    Let's Go Yankees!

  6. #206
    2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS aeromac76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Huntington, NY

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakimobzta View Post
    So are we benching Neil against the Sox four lefty starters?
    Isn't he a switch hitter?
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

  7. #207
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dunstable, MA

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    The Yankees passed on Walker and moved to Drury because they couldn't come to an agreement on asking price. They then circled back and got Walker because the price dropped even further.

    It's all timing, and having a stacked roster that allowed them to gamble and wait. I don't think anyone saw this type of market coming.
    I was thinking timing yesterday. I don't know if this was posted earlier because I gave up reading. (Brian was looking at Drury and Walker early) But I actually wonder if we signed Walker first at 4M if there would have been Drury trade and we would have Andujar at 3rd with Walker the second and Wade our backup.

  8. #208

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Isn't he a switch hitter?
    Outside of 2016 season, he has been pretty meh to bad against lefties.
    Let's Go Yankees!

  9. #209
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    The Yankees passed on Walker and moved to Drury because they couldn't come to an agreement on asking price. They then circled back and got Walker because the price dropped even further.

    It's all timing, and having a stacked roster that allowed them to gamble and wait. I don't think anyone saw this type of market coming.
    I fee like we're agreeing with each other. This market was low probability, but the Yankees generally positioned themselves well for it by waiting for asking prices to come down. Which they were able to do credibly because they had young player depth if it didn't work.

  10. #210

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Isn't he a switch hitter?
    Yes. but he is much better against RHP, no home runs last year against lefties (his career splits are better).

  11. #211
    Calls a tool a tool
    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    The Giants have a core of players they are trying to win with. They did not reload this off season just to trade their Ace. There is no way this happens Unless they stink and try to trade everybody at the deadline
    They finished 23 games behind the 2nd wildcard. Longo and McCutcheon arent making that up. And they are already significantly over the cap. I think they are sellers at the deadline. At that point they have MadBum under control for 1.5 years. They dont really seem like a team on the rise for 2019 either. And the Yankees have the farm to get him.

  12. #212
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    They finished 23 games behind the 2nd wildcard. Longo and McCutcheon arent making that up. And they are already significantly over the cap. I think they are sellers at the deadline. At that point they have MadBum under control for 1.5 years. They dont really seem like a team on the rise for 2019 either. And the Yankees have the farm to get him.
    Sure if they stink as badly as last years good chance they are sellers at the deadline.

    But it's premature to talk about them being sellers in March when they have actually made improvements in the hopes of competing. It's not like the Marlins or Pirates or a few other teams who already punted the season.

    The Giants have a lot of "bounce back candidates" sure it's unlikely that all of them will bounce back the right way but it's not inconceivable.

    Pretty sure this time last year there weren't a lot of folks on the D-backs or Twins train and yet both were playing October baseball last year.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  13. #213

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Pretty sure this time last year there weren't a lot of folks on the D-backs or Twins train and yet both were playing October baseball last year.
    Or, you know, the Yankees.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

  14. #214
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    They finished 23 games behind the 2nd wildcard. Longo and McCutcheon arent making that up. And they are already significantly over the cap. I think they are sellers at the deadline. At that point they have MadBum under control for 1.5 years. They dont really seem like a team on the rise for 2019 either. And the Yankees have the farm to get him.
    The only thing with Bumgarner is that they are a big city team with money to spend and history, and he's their franchise icon, with multiple WS titles.

    If the Yankees were completely falling apart in like 2006/07, they probably still wouldn't have traded Jeter's last couple years of his deal to start a rebuild. SF might care enough about having him in the HOF as a Giants lifer. Trading him when he's still in his prime could just be too painful to the org and fans, even if it would speed up getting better.

    Also, i'd feel crappy watching the Yankees make him shave that beard. Like watching a rare creature captured and put in the zoo, haha.

  15. #215
    2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS aeromac76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Huntington, NY

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Yes. but he is much better against RHP, no home runs last year against lefties (his career splits are better).
    wow did not realize he was that bad as a RH hitter..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

  16. #216

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    wow did not realize he was that bad as a RH hitter..
    He was better as a RHH in 2016, it's not nearly as drastic a split as with Lind.

  17. #217
    Forum Regular
    Carpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    SoCal

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    The only thing with Bumgarner is that they are a big city team with money to spend and history, and he's their franchise icon, with multiple WS titles.

    If the Yankees were completely falling apart in like 2006/07, they probably still wouldn't have traded Jeter's last couple years of his deal to start a rebuild. SF might care enough about having him in the HOF as a Giants lifer. Trading him when he's still in his prime could just be too painful to the org and fans, even if it would speed up getting better.

    Also, i'd feel crappy watching the Yankees make him shave that beard. Like watching a rare creature captured and put in the zoo, haha.
    I see your point, but BB has changed a lot in the last 10 years, SF is a smart organization and will do what is best for them, if they tank I believe trading MadBum is a nice starting point to rebuild.

    By the way, I won't mind having the "wild animal shape" in the Bronx for him.

  18. #218
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    wow did not realize he was that bad as a RH hitter..
    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    He was better as a RHH in 2016, it's not nearly as drastic a split as with Lind.
    Given that Wade is a LHH, does this finding suggest that Toe will get the platoon at 2B over Wade?

    I realize most of the forum feels that Toe is worthless, but having Wade as a platoon player with a switch hitter who is stronger from the same side doesn't make sense.

    Of course, once Torres shows he is ready for the big show, all platooning bets are off.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  19. #219
    Calls a tool a tool
    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    The only thing with Bumgarner is that they are a big city team with money to spend and history, and he's their franchise icon, with multiple WS titles.

    If the Yankees were completely falling apart in like 2006/07, they probably still wouldn't have traded Jeter's last couple years of his deal to start a rebuild. SF might care enough about having him in the HOF as a Giants lifer. Trading him when he's still in his prime could just be too painful to the org and fans, even if it would speed up getting better.

    Also, i'd feel crappy watching the Yankees make him shave that beard. Like watching a rare creature captured and put in the zoo, haha.
    Only to lose him as a FA 1 year later?

  20. #220
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dunstable, MA

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Only to lose him as a FA 1 year later?
    ? Isn't his contract 2 club options for 12M for 2018 and 2019. I think it's 3 years.

  21. #221

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Also, i'd feel crappy watching the Yankees make him shave that beard. Like watching a rare creature captured and put in the zoo, haha.
    He shaved it of his own volition prior to 2016. I don't think it's that big of a deal (and that's coming from someone with a beard).

  22. #222
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Only to lose him as a FA 1 year later?
    Contracts end, that doesn't mean the Yankees would have traded Jeter in a similar situation. If you know the guy well, and usually the GM does, you have some idea whether he'd re-sign with you. (Obviously if he says he's out, you trade him)

    In a pure cost-benefit calculation, if SF is horrible this year it would probably make sense for them to trade him. There's just more to it than that when it comes to generational franchise heroes (I'm not talking about just all-stars, obviously), and I'd argue that thats not a bad thing.

    The Yankees having Gehrig, Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle (and Rivera and Jeter), etc means something to future generations, and trading them in their primes because you're in a down period may make sense at the time, but lose you something intangible (but still important).

    I'm not saying I think they should keep him. I just think they might, because he defines the team right now and connects them to a period where they won multiple titles, and he's not washed up or anything.

  23. #223
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Just to add - I'm all for cold logic, but only to a point, because this is baseball. If I want to really be coldly logical, baseball is a really silly and arbitrary activity and I have no personal connection to the players, so who really cares. There's obviously just more to it, and I think having favorite players that stick around is part of it.

  24. #224

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Sure if they stink as badly as last years good chance they are sellers at the deadline.

    But it's premature to talk about them being sellers in March when they have actually made improvements in the hopes of competing. It's not like the Marlins or Pirates or a few other teams who already punted the season.

    The Giants have a lot of "bounce back candidates" sure it's unlikely that all of them will bounce back the right way but it's not inconceivable.

    Pretty sure this time last year there weren't a lot of folks on the D-backs or Twins train and yet both were playing October baseball last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    They finished 23 games behind the 2nd wildcard. Longo and McCutcheon arent making that up. And they are already significantly over the cap. I think they are sellers at the deadline. At that point they have MadBum under control for 1.5 years. They dont really seem like a team on the rise for 2019 either. And the Yankees have the farm to get him.

    They were awful last year, was not for a lack of talent though. They have quality players on that roster. And has tripper said, bounce back candidates and full year of bumgarner. They have enough talent to contend

    Bumgarner is also a risk, and hes one of my favorite pitchers. Guy flat out as stones.
    Park switch from a favorable park to an unfavorable park for pitchers (I believe hes more of a flyball pitcher too, but I would need to check that). And then of course there is the league switch.
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

  25. #225

    Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Contracts end, that doesn't mean the Yankees would have traded Jeter in a similar situation. If you know the guy well, and usually the GM does, you have some idea whether he'd re-sign with you. (Obviously if he says he's out, you trade him)

    In a pure cost-benefit calculation, if SF is horrible this year it would probably make sense for them to trade him. There's just more to it than that when it comes to generational franchise heroes (I'm not talking about just all-stars, obviously), and I'd argue that thats not a bad thing.

    The Yankees having Gehrig, Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle (and Rivera and Jeter), etc means something to future generations, and trading them in their primes because you're in a down period may make sense at the time, but lose you something intangible (but still important).

    I'm not saying I think they should keep him. I just think they might, because he defines the team right now and connects them to a period where they won multiple titles, and he's not washed up or anything.
    Robinson Cano says hello.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts