+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Yankees sign Neil Walker?...

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    If they released Espinoza, then why did they need to DFA Cave?
    Espinoza was a minor league invite to camp. He was never added to the 40 man.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    If they released Espinoza, then why did they need to DFA Cave?
    Espinoza was on a mL deal
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Walker is in his walk year ...

This signing reminds me of the Chris Carter signing from last year. Very low risk, adds depth, and has the potential to be a steal. At the very least, it's nice insurance/stop gap for the younger guys. Maybe he will be awful like Carter, but if so, they won't have lost much if anything at all.

NYYF Legend

Bryan Hoch @BryanHoch 53m53 minutes ago
    Aaron Boone on Neil Walker: "We had a really good player fall into our lap, essentially."

Travis Sawchik @Travis_Sawchik 46m46 minutes ago
    Neil Walker at $4 million guaranteed is a shocking contract and steal for the Yankees. At least 236 MLB players will be paid more in 2018. He's had seven straight 2+WAR seasons
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

This is worth repeating IMO: the Red Sox signed Eduardo Nunez last month to a essentially the same contract (1/4M with 1M incentives) as Walker but with a 2nd year PLAYER option for 4M or 2M buyout.

The deals the Mets gave Bruce and Frazier look pretty awful.
    My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    The deals the Mets give my Bruce and Frazier look pretty awful.
    Mitch Moreland to the Sox, while not crippling, is looking not prudent either.

And oh my goodness, acquiring one year deals on Headley for $13M and Castro for $11M are Plan B pill worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post

And oh my goodness, acquiring one year deals on Headley for $13M and Castro for $11M are Plan B pill worthy.
    Castro's was actually 2/24, so thankful we managed to offload that.

Ha. If I remember correctly, both the Padres and the Marlins were planning quick abortions by flipping them and failed.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Castro's was actually 2/24, so thankful we managed to offload that.
    Geez. Both of those contracts give me a similar feeling to when you narrowly avoid a major accident and you find yourself unable to move past how close you were to disaster.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Or (admittedly best case scenario) Walker and Lind start hot and Andujar and Torres force their way into consideration. You can flip Lind and Walker for chips at the deadline to fill other holes.

Are you thinking Potato chips? Don't see getting even a bag of ball for either one
    Last edited by Maynerd; 03-13-18 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    Espinoza was a minor league invite to camp. He was never added to the 40 man.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Espinoza was on a mL deal
    I delete the wrong post. Thank you, guys.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

I like this. Drury and Walker are great gets in my opinion. Depth and insurance. Plus, waiting until May to call up the guys we're waiting for gives the Yanks another year of control. And if they don't work out as planned, the depth kicks in. I am in love with this team.

Just need one more SP.
    In Cashman I trust.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Strange signing. What was wrong with Wade being the starting second baseman? He would have added some speed and base stealing.
    I doubt with this lineup there's going to much if any stealing going on.

Not sure if I heard wrong but during today's spring training game I thought they said after the Twins we were the second fastest team last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Krall View Post

Not sure if I heard wrong but during today's spring training game I thought they said after the Twins we were the second fastest team last year.
    Initially, I didn't like this trade, but, after some reflection I'm starting to warm to it. Even though, I still prefer to seeing a youngster like Wade start the season as our 2nd baseman.

With that said, after looking at the splits from last year, this Yankee lineup is not only going to kill left-handed pitching, but right-handed pitching too. Stanton, Judge, Sanchez and Drury hit right-handed pitching very well, if not excellent from some of them. Boone can then start the other five in the batting order with left-handed bats Didi, Bird, Lind, Gardner/Hicks and Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by Krall View Post

Heard that too. The way they said it was that the Twins were the fastest team in the majors, and that there were 3or 4 teams ranked in a virtual dead heat behind them, and the Yankees were one of those teams..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Cy Young

My thought. Means we got a bargain. We'll see, I hope this works out with Drury and Walker. I think we replaced Castro (ADP 281) with Walker (429) and see Dustin and Zobist type. I still hope we don't trade Torres or Andujar for a SP if/when the BoSox are in first and I see them by AS. Art is right we are all in this year and not baby bombers - I just don't know if it's the Governors Cup because we lost to Durham or the World Series we lost to Houston.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    The deals the Mets gave Bruce and Frazier look pretty awful.
    They're also paying Asdrubal Cabrera more than we are paying Walker and more than the Royals are paying Moustakas.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

My opinion of this signing is that the AAV of the Walker contract finally met a price point where Cashman finally felt that the math made sense for the Yankees. From what I have read, Walker recently told his agent to find him a deal with a contender and the Yankees met a price that he could accept.

Cashman was perfectly willing to go forward with the youngsters if the prices did not come down. However, the Drury price came down to a point he was willing to pay and now the Walker price also fell into his lap.

So what happens now is that the youngsters go down to AAA for more seasoning - Torres for his bat and Andujar for his glove - and, assuming there is a reason to replace the ML options (injury, lack of performance), they come up later in the season after their ML time works out vis--vis an extra year of control. Remember also, the same situation can exist next year if they don't spend much time at the ML level.

Neither Walker nor Drury blocks either prospect at the ML level. Both contracts are very tradeable if the opportunity arises.

As for the UTL position, either Wade or Torreyes needs to be on the roster to backup the SS position. I don't know that there is room for both on the bench, although Wade's ability to play the OF makes it a possibility with both the Ellsbury & Frazier injuries to start the season. Both of them have options, so my guess is that Toe is on the ML roster and Wade is sent to AAA to continue his growth as a Zobrist type player.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Agreed, the Mitch Moreland thing is Boston basically locking in mediocrity in one of their 9 lineup spots with a 2 year commitment. You could make the argument he and Lind are pretty similar at this point, and we have Lind for $2M non-guaranteed.

The Castro salary dump is great for NYY, but the Marlins can at least argue that they had to do it to get Stanton out the door and save even more money. Headley though... unless you're in love with Brian Mitchell, that's just a big market misread by Preller. He's overpaid by like $9-10M on that deal.

NYYF Legend

Mitch Moreland was actually better than his numbers suggest. xwOBA (.366) - wOBA (.335)

It's really all a matter of if people were signed/traded in the beginning/middle of the offseason vs towards the end.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Mitch Moreland was actually better than his numbers suggest. xwOBA (.366) - wOBA (.335)

It's really all a matter of if people were signed/traded in the beginning/middle of the offseason vs towards the end.
    Adam Lind's xwOBA was even better at .371. It's kind of amazing how similar they are. Moreland is 2 years younger, but these commitments aren't very long.

Obviously timing mattered a lot this offseason, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Just need one more SP.
    I'm starting to think we already have him.....German.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Thread Information