+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 155
  1. #1

    2018 International Free Agency

    From BA, the Yankees are the favorites to sign two highly regarded IFA catchers for this upcoming July signing period.

    Antonio Gomez, Venezuela
    Size: 6-2, 205, R-R
    Trainer: Felix Luzon
    60 yards: 7.51 seconds
    Games: 3-for-6, 2 SO

    Agustin Ramirez, Dominican Republic
    Size: 6-0, 200, R-R
    Trainer: Pablo Sosa
    60 yards: 7.52 seconds
    Games: 2-for-6, 2B, 2 SO
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

  2. #2
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wesley Hills, NY

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    From BA, the Yankees are the favorites to sign two highly regarded IFA catchers for this upcoming July signing period.

    Antonio Gomez, Venezuela
    Size: 6-2, 205, R-R
    Trainer: Felix Luzon
    60 yards: 7.51 seconds
    Games: 3-for-6, 2 SO

    Agustin Ramirez, Dominican Republic
    Size: 6-0, 200, R-R
    Trainer: Pablo Sosa
    60 yards: 7.52 seconds
    Games: 2-for-6, 2B, 2 SO
    Thanks for the information.
    facebook.com/ItMightHaveBeen?ref=hl

  3. #3

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    Hopefully we can sign those guys and build the catching depth back up in the prospect pool.

  4. #4
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    Thanks for posting. It's not too early to get this thread going.

    By the way, for a moment I read that 2nd Catcher as Austin Romine.

  5. #5
    NYYF Legend

    flymick24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The urinal next door

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    Rangers expected to finalize JPM this afternoon... will finally get to see if he’s Curtis Granderson or a 4th OF
    help feed the hungry:

    www.thehungersite.com

  6. #6
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Rangers expected to finalize JPM this afternoon... will finally get to see if he’s Curtis Granderson or a 4th OF
    That's too bad. Would have liked to acquire him. Wonder what the price is.

    Do you have a published source?

  7. #7

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    That's too bad. Would have liked to acquire him. Wonder what the price is.

    Do you have a published source?
    https://www.baseballamerica.com/inte...xLlCUvjxsck.97
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

  8. #8
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    Thanks!!

  9. #9

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

  10. #10
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wesley Hills, NY

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    facebook.com/ItMightHaveBeen?ref=hl

  11. #11

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    That list has NY linked to #10, #11, #29:

    10-Kevin Alcantara, a 15 year old OF who is somehow already 6'5".
    11-Antonio Gomez, one of the catchers mentioned in the first post above.
    29-Denny Larrondo, a Cuban RHP.

  12. #12
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wesley Hills, NY

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    That list has NY linked to #10, #11, #29:

    10-Kevin Alcantara, a 15 year old OF who is somehow already 6'5".
    11-Antonio Gomez, one of the catchers mentioned in the first post above.
    29-Denny Larrondo, a Cuban RHP.
    I have a feeling that 6'5" is a typo. He's a 70 runner and projected to stay in CF. That doesn't sound like somebody who is 6'5", let alone one who would be likely to grow even taller.
    facebook.com/ItMightHaveBeen?ref=hl

  13. #13
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    6'5" is probably not a typo.

    Here's some video of him a year ago when he was 6'3", apparently. He is all arms and legs - watch the second video as he's running towards first, he looks like a cartoon. Probably a great guy to dream on.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJvaZG304W

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ifosloQWOM
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  14. #14
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wesley Hills, NY

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    6'5" is probably not a typo.

    Here's some video of him a year ago when he was 6'3", apparently. He is all arms and legs - watch the second video as he's running towards first, he looks like a cartoon. Probably a great guy to dream on.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJvaZG304W

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ifosloQWOM
    That surprises me. With someone so out of the norm, I'd expect a mention of his height and position mismatch in his write-up.
    I look forward to following this 6'8-9-10" centerfielder.
    facebook.com/ItMightHaveBeen?ref=hl

  15. #15
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    Quote Originally Posted by MylesThomas1927 View Post
    I have a feeling that 6'5" is a typo. He's a 70 runner and projected to stay in CF. That doesn't sound like somebody who is 6'5", let alone one who would be likely to grow even taller.
    Usain Bolt would be a 6' 5" 80 runner, I guess. Definitely interested to see someone both super tall and fast.

  16. #16

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-top-30...?tid=151437456

    Cartaya top prospect catcher number 1 in international signing period

  17. #17

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    @MLBPipeline
    4h4 hours ago

    #Yankees are the favorites to land Nos. 10 & 11 on our Top 30 International Prospects list, OF Kevin Alcantara & catcher Antonio Gomez. They're also among teams with interest in No. 29, RHP Denny Larrondo: https://atmlb.com/2HICZiV

  18. #18

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    Kevin Alcantara | Rank: 10 Hometown: Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

    Position: OF Age: 15 DOB: 07/12/2002

    Bats: R Throws: R Height: 6'5" Weight: 175 lb

    Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 55 | Run: 70 | Arm: 50 | Field: 60

    The athletic Alcantara is a natural center fielder and has all of the tools to keep him at the position as he matures and his body develops.

    Scouts like the way the sleek teenager glides across the outfield and his closing speed. He has also been praised for his good routes, easy glove work and instincts. He also shows a solid average arm with accuracy.

    Alcantara has above-average speed -- he's been clocked consistently in the 6.4-6.6 second range in the 60-yard timed run -- and it shows up on both sides of the ball. Alcantara is also a gamer. He performs well at the plate in a live setting and projects to hit for more power in the future. Scouts also rave about his good bat speed and high contact ratio. He hits the ball hard and often tops the 100-mph mark in exit velocity.

    Alcantara is from Santo Domingo and trains with Joel Roa and Jose Offerman. The Yankees are the front-runners to sign the teenage outfielder.



    Hometown: Caracas, Venezuela

    Position: C Age: 16 DOB: 11/13/2001

    Bats: R Throws: R Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lb.

    Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 50 | Run: 35 | Arm: 60 | Field: 60

    There's a large group of catching prospects from Venezuela in this year's class, and Gomez has a case to be considered among the elite.

    He does profile as an everyday catcher, and here's why: Gomez has built a reputation for being durable and strong. He has a strong arm now and projects to have well-above-average arm strength. He has shown sound receiving skills and is expected to improve on other parts of his defensive game -- framing and blocking -- once he signs with a team and enters its academy.

    At his best, Gomez has displayed an impressive 1.7-1.75 pop time in workouts and 1.83 in games. On offense, Gomez has a displayed a good approach with an easy swing and easy power to the gaps. He could hit for more power in the future.

    Gomez is from Caracas, Venezuela, and trains with Felix Luzon. The Yankees are considered the favorite to sign the teenager.

  19. #19
    News Breaker hairnovaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Halifax, NS.

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    Victor Mesa Brings Elite Talent To MLB Clubs

    https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-to-mlb-clubs/

  20. #20

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    Quote Originally Posted by hairnovaaa View Post
    Victor Mesa Brings Elite Talent To MLB Clubs

    https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-to-mlb-clubs/
    https://www.mlb.com/cut4/victor-vict...ba/c-276281594

    Ben Badler


    @BenBadler
    Following Following @BenBadler
    More
    Victor Victor is coming to MLB. When he signs, he’s going to be one of the top ranked prospects in the game:


    if Yankees sign him, then Yankees will have Judge+Drury+Victor=Victory ?

  21. #21
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    Kevin Alcantara | Rank: 10 Hometown: Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

    Position: OF Age: 15 DOB: 07/12/2002

    Bats: R Throws: R Height: 6'5" Weight: 175 lb
    He has room to fill out at 175 pounds on a 6' 5" frame.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  22. #22

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    Victor Victor Mesa is “the best young Cuban prospect to become available since Yoan Moncada,” Baseball America’s Ben Badler writes in a profile of the 21-year-old outfielder that is available to BA subscribers. Badler assigns a 70 grade (on the 20-80 scouting scale) to Mesa’s speed and throwing arm (the latter meriting “at least a 70”), and compares Mesa to Nationals minor leaguer Victor Robles, a consensus top-10 prospect in baseball. Since Mesa and his brother only just left Cuba, however, they could face a long wait in getting official league clearance, which will limit their earning power in the 2018-19 July 2 international signing market since most teams have already committed the bulk of their spending pools to other prospects via mlbtr

  23. #23

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    Victor Victor Mesa is “the best young Cuban prospect to become available since Yoan Moncada,” Baseball America’s Ben Badler writes in a profile of the 21-year-old outfielder that is available to BA subscribers. Badler assigns a 70 grade (on the 20-80 scouting scale) to Mesa’s speed and throwing arm (the latter meriting “at least a 70”), and compares Mesa to Nationals minor leaguer Victor Robles, a consensus top-10 prospect in baseball. Since Mesa and his brother only just left Cuba, however, they could face a long wait in getting official league clearance, which will limit their earning power in the 2018-19 July 2 international signing market since most teams have already committed the bulk of their spending pools to other prospects via mlbtr
    Obviously we need to bring back Felix Lopez to close the deal on Mesa.

  24. #24
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    Dont think there is any real chance of getting either of the Mesa's. When was the last time we signed any highly-rated Cuban player?

  25. #25

    Re: 2018 International Free Agency

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Dont think there is any real chance of getting either of the Mesa's. When was the last time we signed any highly-rated Cuban player?
    They've been connected to signing a Cuban pitcher this year.
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts