+ Reply to Thread
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

MLBPA files grievance against the Marlins, Rays, A's and Pirates

https://deadspin.com/mlbpa-files-gri...hea-1823356960
    The Tampa Bay Times reports that on Friday, the MLBPA filed a formal grievance against the Rays, the Marlins, the Pirates, and the A’s, accusing the clubs of failing to comply with MLB’s rules regarding the spending of revenue-sharing proceeds. According to the CBA, teams are required to spend that money “to improve its performance on the field”—though there is wiggle room for spending it at the minor league and scouting level to eventually improve the big-league club.

Re: MLBPA files grievance against the Marlins, Rays, A's and Pirates

Good!

Should throw the Mets in there. What a disgraceful ownership. Those jackasses saw only two seasons ago how big and passionate their fanbase is when they put together a good team. Quit acting like a small market, you doofuses.
    Sign Bryce Harper!!!!
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

The first three are obvious, but am I the only one who thinks the A's aren't that bad? Beane took a higher risk high return package for Gray instead of some mediocre package for sake of trading, and got some underrated but interesting pieces. They definitely won't win the division, but certainly heading to the right direction with the intent of improving. They got some interesting upcoming players and if they improve well they got quite an interesting team IMO.

Heck, if A's are bad I'd say Mets and White Sox are worse, considering the market.

NYYF Legend

I am all for this grievance. Move the teams or contract them if they do not want to spend. Maybe their should be a minimum payroll threshold like in other sports?
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

What's interesting to me is that it shouldn't just be the mlbpa who's upset about this. The higher revenue teams who are net payors into the system should be angry too. If they're going to have to contribute their money to help support lower revenue teams, those teams damm better well spend it on their product. It should be going to enhance the league overall, not line the pockets of owners unwilling to spend. Obviously the players are most directly impacted by teams choosing not to spend, but owners who are forced to support those teams have a beef as well.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I am all for this grievance. Move the teams or contract them if they do not want to spend. Maybe their should be a minimum payroll threshold like in other sports?
    I think you will see this matter negotiated into the next CBA - since hypothetically a 40-man roster could be as low as around $14M if you had no one making more than the ML minimum/minor league salary, the salary floor would need to be significantly higher than that number.

San Diego had the lowest opening day team salary last season ($34.6M), with eight of the thirty teams below $100M on opening day.

I would suggest that they set the floor as a percent of the CBT threshold - say 40%, which would make the around $79M this season.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Hope is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I think you will see this matter negotiated into the next CBA - since hypothetically a 40-man roster could be as low as around $14M if you had no one making more than the ML minimum/minor league salary, the salary floor would need to be significantly higher than that number.

San Diego had the lowest opening day team salary last season ($34.6M), with eight of the thirty teams below $100M on opening day.

I would suggest that they set the floor as a percent of the CBT threshold - say 40%, which would make the around $79M this season.
    Ways off but I don’t think the next CBA will go as smoothly as the recent ones.
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Ways off but I don’t think the next CBA will go as smoothly as the recent ones.
    True, but unless the MLBPA wants to give the owners something in return for opening the CBA, that's when any negotiations will occur.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Hope is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    True, but unless the MLBPA wants to give the owners something in return for opening the CBA, that's when any negotiations will occur.
    That is what I meant after 2021. Not a chance anything happens prior.
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    What's interesting to me is that it shouldn't just be the mlbpa who's upset about this. The higher revenue teams who are net payors into the system should be angry too. If they're going to have to contribute their money to help support lower revenue teams, those teams damm better well spend it on their product. It should be going to enhance the league overall, not line the pockets of owners unwilling to spend. Obviously the players are most directly impacted by teams choosing not to spend, but owners who are forced to support those teams have a beef as well.
    If those teams spend that money on FA's, that helps drive up labor costs. Why would the big clubs want that?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Levine was on record against it before. The Yankees paid about $90M in revenue sharing for the 2015 season.

Thread Information