+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 216
  1. #51

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    As of now if everyone is healthy (which I doubt) I think Lind might make it just cause itís safer to hold onto both him and Austin at least temporarily.
    But Lind's contract details make it seem like he will go to AAA if asked, he gets 100K for doing so and will have another opt-out on June 1. This is what I think will happen (sorry for repeating myself), assuming Bird and Austin stay healthy for three more weeks.

  2. #52

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    But Lind's contract details make it seem like he will go to AAA if asked, he gets 100K for doing so and will have another opt-out on June 1. This is what I think will happen (sorry for repeating myself), assuming Bird and Austin stay healthy for three more weeks.
    Gotcha. Didnít know he had incentives based on going to AAA, thatís pretty clever. I do still think it may depend on if the team will give Austin those regular ABs against lefties. It would make sense to give him a shot, but if theyíre not willing to sit Gardner regularly and Bird sometimes too to open up that role for Austin than might as well not risk losing Lind and give Austin regular ABs in AAA. But yes based on that contract stipulation and an apparent need for a righty bat that can hit lefties, Austin is the more logical choice. I havenít updated my prediction (which includes him) for that reason.

  3. #53

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    That roster doesn't work, you have no backup for 2B/SS/3B because all three of Wade/Didi/Drury are starting. You need to bump Austin or Lind, no way both can make the roster along with Bird.
    You're right. I originally had Andujar over Austin/or had removed Ells for the time being, assuming a DL stint.

    All the more reason to move Ellsbury, whatever the cost. He provides little to no value over all the CF depth we have in Hicks, Gardner, Cave, (maybe even Clint) and Florial. And all those guys are already on the 40. I assume Shane Robinson is dropped.

    That roster spot is more valuable than whatever Ellsbury is reasonably expected to provide. Cut losses, move on.


  4. #54

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    But Lind's contract details make it seem like he will go to AAA if asked, he gets 100K for doing so and will have another opt-out on June 1. This is what I think will happen (sorry for repeating myself), assuming Bird and Austin stay healthy for three more weeks.
    Lind is a better fit for the DH role over the course of a season, since he can actually hit RHP.

    Once we make it to the playoffs, I'd love to make room for a platoon DH with those two.


  5. #55

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Lind is a better fit for the DH role over the course of a season, since he can actually hit RHP.
    But Stanton is our DH most of the time. Lind is a tough fit on this roster with everyone healthy.

  6. #56
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Lind, Austin, Torreyes, Wade, Torres, Drury, Andujar, Frazier & Ellsbury are fighting for 2 IF spots (2B & 3B) and 3 bench spots (Romine has the 4th one).

    I think the Yanks should make a spot for Lind, regardless of how he looks in March. It would be "convenient" if Ellsbury is DL'd to start the season. All of the rest have minor league options, I think.

    My guesses:

    2B - Drury
    3B - Andujar
    Bench: Romine, Lind, Torreyes, & Wade

    Torres, Frazier, & Austin start the season in Scranton & Ellsbury goes on the DL
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  7. #57
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    IMO the Walker signing probably adds Andujar to the Scranton roster to start the season.

    This organization is crazy deep (except for ML SP rotation). If there's a trade that can be made for a top of the rotation starter, now is probably the time to make it.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  8. #58

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    IMO the Walker signing probably adds Andujar to the Scranton roster to start the season.

    This organization is crazy deep (except for ML SP rotation). If there's a trade that can be made for a top of the rotation starter, now is probably the time to make it.
    The Walker signing changes lots of players' outlook on making the 25-man

    Wade went from starting 2B favorite to battling Toe for UTL IF and others for the final bench spot.

    Toe went from near sure thing to make the 25-man to possibly starting the season in SWB

    Since Walker can backup 1B, its less probable that one of Austin or Lind will make the roster

    Torres and Andujar will now likely start the season in AAA and could be in direct competition with each other for MLB call-up time during the season.

    ST invitees like Peterson and Espinosa's chances of making the roster dropped

  9. #59

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    The Walker signing changes lots of players' outlook on making the 25-man

    Wade went from starting 2B favorite to battling Toe for UTL IF and others for the final bench spot.

    Toe went from near sure thing to make the 25-man to possibly starting the season in SWB

    Since Walker can backup 1B, its less probable that one of Austin or Lind will make the roster

    Torres and Andujar will now likely start the season in AAA and could be in direct competition with each other for MLB call-up time during the season.

    ST invitees like Peterson and Espinosa's chances of making the roster dropped
    This is bad news for Lind. Outside of an injury to Bird or an OF I don't see how he makes the team unless they're purely just stashing him. Even then you figure to feel safe with Walker able to move to 1B and several options at 2B to step in. Not a Lind esque hitter, but I think the bench will have guys that provide some sort of analytical/situational advantage the obvious one being right-handed hitters that can hit lefties. I don't see a role for Lind other than a Chris Carter/Garrett Jones type of role.

    My money is on Wade getting more experience in AAA moving around the infield before coming into a regular role (or a trade) later in the year. Torreyes' righty bat is a more natural sub for Walker and Didi who both are much better against RHP. Drury the only RH infielder has even platoon splits.

  10. #60
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    The following are locks barring injury or trade
    5 - OF Stanton, Judge, Gardner, Hicks, Ellsbury
    3 - IF Bird, Didi, Walker
    2 - C Sanchez, Romine
    5 - SP Severino, Tanaka, Gray, Sabathia, Montgomery
    6 - RP Chapman, Robertson, Betances, Warren, Khalane, Green

    That leaves just 4 spots for the rest of the roster.
    1 spot is going to Wade/Torreyes as UTL IF and backup SS
    1 spot is going to Drury/Andujar for 3B
    1 spot is probably going to a reliever, most likely Shreve who is out of options.

    That leaves just 1 spot for the loser wade/torreyes, drury/andujar, Austin, Lind, Mckinney.

    I'm guessing it the loser of 3B and UTL will both go to AAA and it will come down to Lind/Austin for the 25th spot.

    I hope they keep Wade over Torreyes and platoon him with Walker.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  11. #61

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    The following are locks barring injury or trade
    5 - OF Stanton, Judge, Gardner, Hicks, Ellsbury
    3 - IF Bird, Didi, Walker
    2 - C Sanchez, Romine
    5 - SP Severino, Tanaka, Gray, Sabathia, Montgomery
    6 - RP Chapman, Robertson, Betances, Warren, Khalane, Green

    That leaves just 4 spots for the rest of the roster.
    1 spot is going to Wade/Torreyes as UTL IF and backup SS
    1 spot is going to Drury/Andujar for 3B
    1 spot is probably going to a reliever, most likely Shreve who is out of options.

    That leaves just 1 spot for the loser wade/torreyes, drury/andujar, Austin, Lind, Mckinney.

    I'm guessing it the loser of 3B and UTL will both go to AAA and it will come down to Lind/Austin for the 25th spot.

    I hope they keep Wade over Torreyes and platoon him with Walker.
    If they platoon Walker it won't be with Wade.

  12. #62

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Also Ellsbury is definitely not a lock for Opening Day, he hasn't played in weeks.

  13. #63
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Also, Lind on the opening day roster means another 40-man move. Since we do not appear at this time to have any 60-day DL candidates, that means another DFA.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  14. #64

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    I don't see how Lind has any chance to make this roster unless Bird gets hurt. Walker can cover backup 1B a bit if needed, and Austin is a way better fit in terms of roster composition, as he crushes lefties. Lind's first optout is a week from tomorrow, I hope he agrees to go to Scranton but I don't think he's in the running to make the team Opening Day at this point.

  15. #65
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    I don't see how Lind has any chance to make this roster unless Bird gets hurt. Walker can cover backup 1B a bit if needed, and Austin is a way better fit in terms of roster composition, as he crushes lefties. Lind's first optout is a week from tomorrow, I hope he agrees to go to Scranton but I don't think he's in the running to make the team Opening Day at this point.
    Walker is likely the starting 2B until roughly Memorial Day, I presume, at which point the organization will re-evaluate. As a guy who won't be a bench player early on I don't think he affects Lind.

    You are right that Austin profiles better as a Bird backup than Lind but Austin hasn't exactly been Joe PerfectHealth himself and I believe Tyler still has options. Recent Yankee history suggests that the guy with remaining options gets the poop end of the stick on these things, at least at the start.

    Lind
    Wade/Torreyes winner (probably Wade)
    Ellsbury
    Romine/Higgy (probably Romine)

    Can totally see Lind going north. Whether he stays long is another deal.

  16. #66

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Agree that Walker looks like the everyday 2B, but my point was that if he needs to play 1B in a pinch, Wade or Torreyes could cover 2B, so they donít have to keep Austin or Lind if they donít want to.

  17. #67

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Just edited mine, added Walker (obviously), and, sad to say, goodbye Toe.

    Unfortunately added Lind too, so its back to AAA for Wade Taylor.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

  18. #68
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Still under the unfinished breezeway

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Also, Lind on the opening day roster means another 40-man move. Since we do not appear at this time to have any 60-day DL candidates, that means another DFA.
    Just 60 day DL Ellsbury.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

  19. #69

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    5 - OF Stanton, Judge, Gardner, Hicks, Ellsbury
    3 - IF Bird, Didi, Walker, Drury, Wade, Lind
    2 - C Sanchez, Romine
    5 - SP Severino, Tanaka, Gray, Sabathia, Montgomery
    6 - RP Chapman, Robertson, Betances, Warren, Khalane, Green, Shreve

    There you have it. If Ellsbury opens the season on the DL then they will probably carry an extra reliever.

  20. #70
    NYYF MVP

    Stache Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Long Island, NY

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    I agree. Curious to know how we eventually get Torres and Andujar on this roster. I imagine Andujar will be traded for a starter and Torres takes over for injury or replaced Wade.
    On the other hand, you have different fingers.


    my blog: http://nybaseballoffice.blogspot.com

  21. #71
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Just 60 day DL Ellsbury.
    And watch Boras file a Grievance .
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

  22. #72
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dunstable, MA

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Quote Originally Posted by Stache Fan View Post
    I agree. Curious to know how we eventually get Torres and Andujar on this roster. I imagine Andujar will be traded for a starter and Torres takes over for injury or replaced Wade.

    Yep. I am not curious but worried. I still think there is a very small chance Andujar gets 3rd. I know he is not getting hits but the ball just jumps off his bat. I honestly believe Andujar is better than Drury and Torres is better than Walker. I just hope they make the switched around May based on SWB. Also, worried Andujar will be a trade option for a SP at trade deadline and feel that would be a mistake. I would trade Drury and/or Walker.

  23. #73
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dunstable, MA

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    I don't see how Lind has any chance to make this roster unless Bird gets hurt. Walker can cover backup 1B a bit if needed, and Austin is a way better fit in terms of roster composition, as he crushes lefties. Lind's first optout is a week from tomorrow, I hope he agrees to go to Scranton but I don't think he's in the running to make the team Opening Day at this point.
    Yep, Lind is not hitting, only played 2 G at 1B, will cost us 2M, it's Austin (12G at 1st)and he has option year. I still feel McKinney at 1B is our best option moving forward so I just don't see Lind at SWB to be insurance for Bird and DH when we expand the roster. I think he will ask the front office and then opt out.

  24. #74

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Lind was evidently released after yesterday's game, his locker is empty.

  25. #75
    Forum Regular
    Carpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    SoCal

    Re: Predict the 'opening day' 25 man roster

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Lind was evidently released after yesterday's game, his locker is empty.

    Confirmed by several outlets, Lind has been released.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts