+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

2018 Brandon Drury Performance Thread

Welcome Brandon to the Bronx - Wishing you the best and helping bring home a World Championship

Re: 2018 Brandon Drury Performance Thread

Glowing praise for this guy

Arizona manager Torey Lovullo gushed of Drury: “A great competitor, a great teammate. Cares on a pretty impressive level about being the absolute best he can be every single day. The Yankees got a special player. Very quiet. Very intense. But very attentive.”

Drury hit 13 homers in 480 plate appearances, but Lovullo mentioned the still-growing power by noting the 37 doubles and stating “absolutely” that there is more to come for Drury.

“He might hit 30 home runs this year,” Lovullo said. “I feel like that is a strong possibility. He has competitive at-bats every single night. He felt he had a disappointing year because he hasn’t quite gotten to the point of being a complete hitter in his mind. The best players are never satisfied, and that is where Brandon fits. … Everyone understood the reason we had to give somebody up like that is because we needed a piece in right field. When you trade for something you need, you are going to give up something you like as well. So, we just prioritized the right-field position and got Steven Souza for that spot.”
    https://nypost.com/2018/03/14/diamon...ght-guy-again/
    “Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in a Yankee uniform starting on March 29th.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

NYYF Triple Crown

“The best players are never satisfied.”

That quote is very telling. Sounds like the Yanks got a legit stud.

No wonder Cashman is enamored of him. He better not be traded.
    Last edited by Vin; 03-15-18 at 04:13 PM.

NYYF Legend

It's been bugging me that I can't figure out whose swing Drury's reminds me of, but maybe this game helped - his swing aesthetically looks like Donaldson's a little...I think...
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

This guy is going to fly under the radar all season with around 60 XBHs out of the #7 hole.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

106.0 and 106.2 MPH on the double and single in his first two ABs today.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post

Drew an important walk as well. I know he's not gonna be everybody's favorite but he's off to a fine enough start.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Deserved a HR on the double.

That double was impressive, Sanchez is hard to drive and he belted that to the opposite field, easily out in the Bronx. I wonder what the record for team opposite field HRs in a season is, because that seems like a lock.

Let's for a moment pretend that Andujar is not waiting in the wings. Drury has looked dead nuts solid so far. Made all the plays, strong accurate arm, and looks like a solid contributor to the offense. You can see what Cash saw in him.

Drury has a swing tailor-made for success at Yankee Stadium. Right handed hitter that goes to the opposite field with power. I expect he is going to be a lot better than people expect, and as the season goes on, will put the Machado talk to rest.....
    2018 Yankees: The Empire Wrecking Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_NYY View Post
    Drury has a swing tailor-made for success at Yankee Stadium. Right handed hitter that goes to the opposite field with power. I expect he is going to be a lot better than people expect, and as the season goes on, will put the Machado talk to rest.....
    Don't know much about him, but looking at his record he doesn't walk much and as you would expect doesn't score many runs, but that may have a lot to do with the AZ lineup. I do like his approach to hitting though, so if he can develop a little more patience he might give Andujar a run for the position.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

OMG. Please be good. I'm liking the defense so far. Very accurate arm.

EDIT: I don't know about the comp, but I agree that his swing is pretty.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

New swing on full display - took advantage of a hanging slider in an 0-2 count and lofted it out to LCF. You could literally see him attempting to create loft in his swing.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    OMG. Please be good. I'm liking the defense so far. Very accurate arm.
    This post makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Two weeks ago you had me feeling like I needed a winter jacket and a box of hand warmers.

Drury looking pretty suspect at 3B this Spring.

Nothing I've seen makes me think he won't be a problem there. Kind of loopy arm. Inaccurate. Seemingly big body. Don't think he'll have great range.

Better hit.

NYYF Legend

He had a throw that was deep in the hole in the previous couple games, and it just got there to 1B perfectly. He side arms it a bit. It doesn't look strong (frozen rope), but it seems to get there in plenty of time and on the money. Maybe quick release?

He bounced one I think yesterday (Austin should have had it), but I think his arm is better than I initially thought. We'll see. Tomorrow is a new day and I might hate it again.

EDIT: Annnd he bounces another on cue.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

One interesting takeaway from the opening series was seeing Drury face Aaron Sanchez. A couple of turns though the lineup, Sanchez was throwing mid-90s that cut and sawed off bats. He was throwing like Mo Rivera in his prime. Drury was squaring him up like it was no problem.

NYYF Legend

Tomorrow is a new day and I might hate it again.

Throws one away to let in the Rays' first run.

NYYF Legend

Definitely TBD. It's definitely not strong, but it's a matter of how consistently accurate it can be.
    Calmer than you are

Definitely TBD. It's definitely not strong, but it's a matter of how consistently accurate it can be.
    It's not a strong arm. It's an average, Bill Mueller-ish type of arm. But as long as he's accurate with it.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    It's not a strong arm. It's an average, Bill Mueller-ish type of arm. But as long as he's accurate with it.
    I don't read anything into today's error - these conditions are atrocious.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I don't read anything into today's error - these conditions are atrocious.
    Not really making a comment on the error today. Just an observation of his arm strength based on spring training and 5 games into the season. I liked the deal when they first made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    Not really making a comment on the error today. Just an observation of his arm strength based on spring training and 5 games into the season. I liked the deal when they first made it.
    he has a strong arm like didi but sometimes these players are lazy on the throw to first...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    he has a strong arm like didi but sometimes these players are lazy on the throw to first...
    No. He really doesn't.
    Calmer than you are

Thread Information