+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

MLB Pace Of Play Rule Changes - Good Or Bad?

Although I think the whole pace of play issue is a bit overblown, I read through what was announced today and don't have a major issue. Glad they didn't include the pitch clock, which I hate, and think the mound visit issue is fairly defined. Interested to see viewpoints on this...

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-announc...es/c-266718664
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Re: MLB Pace Of Play Rule Changes - Good Or Bad?

This mound visit rule will be interesting to watch unfold. Maybe there should be a scoreboard display to keep track? Going over the limit is going to happen, question is then what? Public shaming?
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    This mound visit rule will be interesting to watch unfold. Maybe there should be a scoreboard display to keep track? Going over the limit is going to happen, question is then what? Public shaming?
    I bet you anything Maddon challenges it the first official game.
    When I was a kid, my father told me, "Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it."

Ruining baseball
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

NYYF Legend

I was wondering the same thing. What is the penalty for exceeding the 6 mound visits? Does the umpire say to the catcher “hey...stop it. Stop it.”
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Ruining baseball
    Yup, I'm old school and the longer the game, the better I like it! Baseball is not a race, but a pastime. I also realize that games were played during the day and today most games are at night. Thank God the home Yankee games will now start at 6:30 instead of 7:00.
    People don't start playing ball at your age, they retire!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjeep View Post
    Yup, I'm old school and the longer the game, the better I like it! Baseball is not a race, but a pastime. I also realize that games were played during the day and today most games are at night. Thank God the home Yankee games will now start at 6:30 instead of 7:00.
    I’m going to be furious if they ever do this 11th inning man on second thing in the all star game
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

A pitch clock would be absurd but these all seem like good changes to me, especially shortening the commercial break between innings.

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    I’m going to be furious if they ever do this 11th inning man on second thing in the all star game
    The All Star game just doesn't have meaning like it did back in the day. They tried to get it back with the home field for the winner, but most of the players really didn't care. Most don't even want to play in it! To much money at stake today! Needless Injuries could cause a player millions.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

April has some 6:35 starts, but I'm not seeing any others..That tells me those times are inconsideration of temperature.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

The All Star game just doesn't have meaning like it did back in the day. They tried to get it back with the home field for the winner, but most of the players really didn't care. Most don't even want to play in it! To much money at stake today! Needless Injuries could cause a player millions.
    Just have a feeling if they do it in that it could lead to more!

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    April has some 6:35 starts, but I'm not seeing any others..That tells me those times are inconsideration of temperature.
    Sadly, your right. But it is a trial and maybe the following year it will be 6:35 for the entire year.

NYYF Legend

Baseball purist here........bad

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

From the 6th inning on, all ABs will start with a 2-1 count.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

Good or bad, it's not a Yankee thing. Shouldn't this thread be in Around the Majors?

I like the mound visit restrictions (almost like timeouts in football or basketball) but they have to be enforceable... right now it doesn’t seem like there’s a consequence for a 7th mound visit (after you’ve used your allotted 6).

But I think in theory, this should reduce stoppages significantly, which should improve pace of play. Still think a pitch clock is ultimately necessary.

The pitch clock didn't look like it would change much, but I'm pretty much for anything else that will shorten the game. They have to do something.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    A pitch clock would be absurd but these all seem like good changes to me, especially shortening the commercial break between innings.

No change there

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Good or bad, it's not a Yankee thing. Shouldn't this thread be in Around the Majors?
    It definitely effects the Yankees!

NYYF Legend

Changes of any kind to anything = people complain (on the internet). If they added the 3 pointer in the NBA now instead of in 1980 or whenever, people would sob nonstop for months.

Baseball rules have evolved over time, and they'll keep evolving. I generally like when sports leagues try to keep improving rather than rest on tradition, just because it's tradition.

MLBPA obviously did a terrible job negotiating in that they have no real say in this, but Manfred kind of took it easy on them when he didn't have to. These changes are pretty minor.

Bad-nothing will change- Have batters stay in box, 15 second pitch count, limit relief changes to 3 per game. OR...whoever is winning after 2 and 1/2 hours, that is it. I used to love to watch baseball on tv in the 70's but I cannot last to watch a whole game anymore on the tube.

I'm just glad there's no pitch clock which, in retrospect, seems more like a high-ball threat kinda thing. Manfred had us all convinced that he was going to implement it and then pulled back so the actual changes don't seem that bad. And they're not, really. I'm old school too but I do realize that there's a need to shorten games. So long as they don't mess with the fabric of the game then I'm fine with these sorts of changes. Besides, there are no hard and fast punitive measures AFAIK. They need to find ways to put pressure on players to keep things moving along without affecting the outcome of the games.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. What is the penalty for exceeding the 6 mound visits? Does the umpire say to the catcher “hey...stop it. Stop it.”
    After 6 visits the catcher has to play the rest of the game without a mask....

Actually, it will prob be treated like a second visit from a manager/coach in an inning, the pitcher will have to be removed from the game.
    Vandelay! Say Vandelay!

NYYF Legend

Sign stealing will be more advantageous.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

You’re underlining some of the reasons I think this change is stupid. It seems somewhat vague as to enforcement and a couple too many exceptions to the new rule.

Thread Information