+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10 50 57 58 59 60
Results 1,476 to 1,497 of 1497
    NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: The Official 2018 Spring Training Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    People here can and will complain about just about anything here.
    OK-who do I complain to about your attitude?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Surprised at the Baltimore optimism here. They lost 87 games last year, lost their 20-homer catcher, the closer won't be back until June at least. Lineup does have 3 good young hitters but a lot of age surrounding them. Do Cashner and Cobb make up for all that plus add 10 wins? What's the case for them that I'm missing?
    Agreed. I'm not impressed by Baltimore. With Toronto, at least they should have a plus rotation. Nothing about Baltimore is exciting. Toronto > Baltimore, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Surprised at the Baltimore optimism here. They lost 87 games last year, lost their 20-homer catcher, the closer won't be back until June at least. Lineup does have 3 good young hitters but a lot of age surrounding them. Do Cashner and Cobb make up for all that plus add 10 wins? What's the case for them that I'm missing?
    A lot of things would have to go right for Baltimore to be competitive: Listed in order:

1) Gausman and Bundy take the next step and become a solid 1/2
    2) Cobb stays healthy
    3) Cashner or Tillman rebound and/or Hunter Harvey comes up and is good
    4) Buck has done a good job overall with the bullpen even when Britton has been hurt in the past. That would need to continue.
    5) Rebound year from Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo
    6) Schoop and Beckham backup their career year

You can do this excercise with almost every MLB team before the season starts. Sometimes you get years where everything does go right like Minnesota last year, but most of the time it doesn’t. Or if it does something unexpected goes wrong.

NYYF Legend

People here can and will complain about just about anything here.
    I'm not saying I agree, but the Nike/Adidas debate is actually longstanding in sports from an injury perspective. Again, I'm not saying I agree, but Adidas is infamous for leg injuries in its NBA stars.

It's nothing more than confirmation bias, noise, and random variation most likely, but I remember Knicks fans half jokingly freaking out when Porzingis chose Adidas over Nike, with the same sort of response - "Why Adidas, KP, WHY?!?"

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I'm not saying I agree, but the Nike/Adidas debate is actually longstanding in sports from an injury perspective. Again, I'm not saying I agree, but Adidas is infamous for leg injuries in its NBA stars.

It's nothing more than confirmation bias, noise, and random variation most likely, but I remember Knicks fans half jokingly freaking out when Porzingis chose Adidas over Nike, with the same sort of response - "Why Adidas, KP, WHY?!?"
    That’s because Adidas makes subpar equipment. Nike all day!

Registered Account Donnybaseball72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post

So Adidas causes leg injuries? Fill me in. I don't follow the NBA.

How would chicken little on this forum will react if Yankees are "0-10" record starting 2018 season -" tank and get high draft pick, and trade Diddi, CC and Gray and Stanton"

NYYF Legend

So Adidas causes leg injuries? Fill me in. I don't follow the NBA.
    That's a well-known internet conspiracy theory, yes.

https://www.papercitymag.com/culture...-urban-legend/

Please notice I'm going out of my way to repeat that I'm not presenting it as a valid argument, just pointing out that a sports fan's fear of Adidas isn't random/trivial whining.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    How would chicken little on this forum will react if Yankees are "0-10" record starting 2018 season -" tank and get high draft pick, and trade Diddi, CC and Gray and Stanton"
    I'm usually an optimistic person, but 0-10 would have me jumping off a bridge..
    4-6, no worries. Even 3-7, no biggie.. But 0-10 would be a little nuts..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Jared Carrabis

Verified account

@Jared_Carrabis
    Follow Follow @Jared_Carrabis
    More
    MLB had to warn the Yankees that selling beer with their players’ likeness in the foam is illegal. How many warnings is this team going to get before they’re kicked out of the league? Enough is enough. @MLB @NYPDCT @FBI @CIA

7:21 AM - 28 Mar 2018

NYYF Legend

Jared Carrabis

Verified account

@Jared_Carrabis
    Follow Follow @Jared_Carrabis
    More
    MLB had to warn the Yankees that selling beer with their players’ likeness in the foam is illegal. How many warnings is this team going to get before they’re kicked out of the league? Enough is enough. @MLB @NYPDCT @FBI @CIA

7:21 AM - 28 Mar 2018
    The Yankees logo foam is kinda cool, and at only $16.50 for an 8oz draft its a bargain.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2...oung-and-more/

Mike axisa of cbs and rab blog picks Cubs to WIN WS. Redsox win AL East and Kraken for AL MVP.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2...oung-and-more/

Mike axisa of cbs and rab blog picks Cubs to WIN WS. Redsox win AL East and Kraken for AL MVP.

And someone else has a Dodgers/Indians WS. It's all just throwing crap at the wall right now.

Probably doesn't belong here since Spring Training is over, but I don't want to be the one starting the regular season thread. Opening day starting lineups were posted by the Yankees twitter account:

BRETT GARDNER LF
    AARON JUDGE RF
    GIANCARLO STANTON DH
    GARY SANCHEZ C
    AARON HICKS CF
    DIDI GREGORIUS SS
    BRANDON DRURY 3B
    NEIL WALKER 2B
    TYLER AUSTIN 1B
    LUIS SEVERINO P

Go Yankees!!!

Delia Enriquez

Verified account

@dfiregirl4
    Follow Follow @dfiregirl4
    More
    So MLB seems to have a problem with the #Yankees "recruiting" Manny Machado and adding faces to beer. But when it comes to sexual assault and domestic violence, they give a slap on the wrist. What's this, the NFL?

5:09 AM - 28 Mar 2018

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by neyugnt View Post
    Probably doesn't belong here since Spring Training is over, but I don't want to be the one starting the regular season thread. Opening day starting lineups were posted by the Yankees twitter account:

BRETT GARDNER LF
    AARON JUDGE RF
    GIANCARLO STANTON DH
    GARY SANCHEZ C
    AARON HICKS CF
    DIDI GREGORIUS SS
    BRANDON DRURY 3B
    NEIL WALKER 2B
    TYLER AUSTIN 1B
    LUIS SEVERINO P

Go Yankees!!!
    I like that they have Hicks over Didi. OBP yo.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Registered Account Donnybaseball72's Avatar

Delia Enriquez

Verified account

@dfiregirl4
    Follow Follow @dfiregirl4
    More
    So MLB seems to have a problem with the #Yankees "recruiting" Manny Machado and adding faces to beer. But when it comes to sexual assault and domestic violence, they give a slap on the wrist. What's this, the NFL?

5:09 AM - 28 Mar 2018
    How are the Yankees "recruiting" Machado? Who got a slap on the wrist for sexual assault and domestic violence? The penalties are pretty stiff.

NYYF Cy Young

How are the Yankees "recruiting" Machado? Who got a slap on the wrist for sexual assault and domestic violence? The penalties are pretty stiff.
    Judge was scolded by the MLB for telling Machado that he would look good in pinstripes.

Miguel Sano wasn't punished for sexual assault due to insufficient evidence regarding a claim by a photographer.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by trapper700 View Post
    Judge was scolded by the MLB for telling Machado that he would look good in pinstripes.
    The issue that I have with this scolding is that Judge didn't specify which pinstripes - he could well have been referring to purple pinstripes or red pinstripes, just to name two.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Especially since by no stretch of the imagination could this possibly be an 0-10 team. I'd have to swallow real hard, and suck it up knowing that in the end we'll still win a lot of games.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Something to keep in mind this season is that the worse NY does, the more likely we are to go after Machado and/or Harper next winter, or to make big deals to fill in holes.

Of course this team is positioned really well to compete for the WS this year (although Houston is the team to beat), but 2019 and onwards has been the goal since the Miller/Chapman deals. Not saying we'll be all in starting next year, because the farm system will likely still be quite strong, but I think being at maximum strength in 2019 and onwards has been the goal for a few years now.

Anyway, I've been a Yankee fan since I saw Chris Chambliss hit the ALCS-winning walkoff HR with my dad when I was 8, and this is literally the most I've ever been looking forward to a season. We've had better teams, but we have never had anywhere near this much young talent, both already up and still on the way. Exciting times!!

Thread Information