+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 60 FirstFirst ... 27 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 47 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Official 2018 Spring Training Thread

German has looked better than every other SP this spring.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

“ Meanwhile Other side of town. Mets Pitching coach - Don’t let hitters get comfortable,’’ Eiland told The Post about the style of pitching he wants his Mets hurlers to have on the mound. “When you’re pitching, you have to be feared.”

“And they’re diving,’’ Eiland added. “Is there anybody who doesn’t have body armor now? You see a lot of guys who are hitting good pitches that are down and away, that’s because they don’t have a fear of the ball in.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/12/badass...itching-staff/

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I agree. Man I hope he stays healthy.
    "No, I would not like to reconsider being a Yankee fan, and no, marrying a New Englander should have no bearing on it."

NYYF Legend

His fastball looks like it has a lot of late movement. Hopefully they send him to AAA and keep him stretched out. They’re going to need him.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    His fastball looks like it has a lot of late movement. Hopefully they send him to AAA and keep him stretched out. They’re going to need him.
    As ironic as it sounds, that is the exact reason I absolutely pray he doesn't make the team.

Instead of being the 7th man in the bullpen blowout/mop-up candidate, I'd rather have him standing by ready on the fly down in AAA. He is still young (25) but old (to be a long term future considering SP prospect), has AAA experience, is on the 40 man, and seems like he can be a very good fill in when (not IF) the Yankees need a spot starter. If this means no more Luis Cessa spot starts that would be great, and I still think Cessa can be useful if converted to full time relief.

Next year German can take Warren's spot as the multi-inning capable reliever who doesn't suck and still get paid minimum.

Yeah, German has to be the sixth SP right now, although once the AAA season starts, they go a lot on performance there when someone is needed.

Also I don't think there are actually any pitching staff spots available, the rotation is set, we know the top six relievers and Shreve is out of options and seemingly set for the last spot, at least until he sucks and is jettisoned in May.

NYYF Legend

Good news on the Mesa/Cortes front. Mesa seems to be doing that velo thing he went through last year.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...medium=twitter

There are still two weeks of exhibition games left until the Orioles must select their Opening Day 25-man roster, but the innings are dwindling, which leaves limited opportunities to evaluate the team’s three pitchers selected in December’s Rule 5 draft.

Manager Buck Showalter said Monday that he expects the audition to continue until the final days of camp. But with only three bullpen spots available, the club will be hard-pressed to carry more than one of the Rule 5 picks.
    They each present a different resume, and two of them — left-hander Nestor Cortes Jr. and right-hander Jose Mesa — were selected as unprotected products of a New York Yankees farm system rich in pitching. But at this point, it is former Chicago Cubs farmhand Pedro Araujo – who is the front-runner among the three picks.

Cortes is still considered a candidate for the fifth and final rotation spot, but how much the club continues to stretch him out within the final weeks will be telling as innings begin to go to other starting pitchers as they extend their innings for the beginning of the season.

The Orioles continue to like his length, and his array of speeds and arm angles, which would make him a potential multiple-inning reliever to keep opponents off balance. Despite not possessing spectacular stuff, he has a track record of success that has followed him through all levels of the minors — a career 2.06 ERA that includes a 1.49 mark in nearly 50 innings at the Triple-A level last year.

Mesa, whose delivery and likeness resembles that of his father, the former major league pitcher of the same name, dazzled in 2017. The 24-year-old had a breakout season, pitching well in a multiple-inning role in High-A before moving up to Double-A and excelling in five starts there — allowing just one earned run over 25 1/3 innings.

Mesa struggled in his first outing this spring, allowing three runs over two-thirds of an inning in a debut against the Boston Red Sox that Showalter said he would give him a pass on, but since then, he’s shown unremarkable velocity, struggling to hit 90 mph, and hasn’t done much to separate himself.

Cortes was strong in his first two outings — a pair of one-run, two-inning stints in which he showed how his mix of pitches can play — but he allowed three runs on six hits in three innings in his most recent outing Thursday against the Toronto Blue Jays.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Today's lineup ... looks pretty good to me:

Could be the kids last ST game!
    People don't start playing ball at your age, they retire!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    As ironic as it sounds, that is the exact reason I absolutely pray he doesn't make the team.

Instead of being the 7th man in the bullpen blowout/mop-up candidate, I'd rather have him standing by ready on the fly down in AAA. He is still young (25) but old (to be a long term future considering SP prospect), has AAA experience, is on the 40 man, and seems like he can be a very good fill in when (not IF) the Yankees need a spot starter. If this means no more Luis Cessa spot starts that would be great, and I still think Cessa can be useful if converted to full time relief.
    Yep, all of this. Other than a reliable LHRP set up man (which German is not), the bullpen is fine. They are better served by keeping German stretched out as a starter in AAA because they are going to need a spot starter at some point.
    Last edited by NelsonMuntz; 03-13-18 at 09:29 PM.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

More Wade love:

"I like Wade a lot," the scout said. "I think he's going to be the ultimate utility guy. I can see the Yankees playing him at second this year until Torres gets called up, then it wouldn't be surprising to me if Wade ends up taking (Ronald) Torreyes job as the utility infielder because he can play the outfield, too."
    http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...neil_walk.html
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Cy Young

Thanks. Nice thought for me BUT I think Wade at 2nd (opening day) until Walker is ready. Then Walker is our second baseman until Torres is ready with Wade/Toe our utility backup.

NYYF Legend

Wade/Torreyes seem duplicative they aren't both making the team. One of the two will clearly be be the utility IF but either Wade is headed back to AAA and Torreyes is the UTL guy or Torreyes will be with another organization because I think he is out of options and Wade is the UTL guy.

The fact that Wade can play OF will probably have zero bearing on the decision as the Yanks are carrying 5 outfielders already.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Wade/Torreyes seem duplicative they aren't both making the team. One of the two will clearly be be the utility IF but either Wade is headed back to AAA and Torreyes is the UTL guy or Torreyes will be with another organization because I think he is out of options and Wade is the UTL guy.

The fact that Wade can play OF will probably have zero bearing on the decision as the Yanks are carrying 5 outfielders already.
    Lot of teams will be looking to offload the Utility guys towards the end of Spring Training. The Red Sox press keeps trying to talk up Wei Lin and Swihart as cheaper options to Brock Holt. Can't see anyone taking on Holt's contract in this market though. Point is, teams will have their pick if they are patient.

I'd like to see Wade get a more everyday role, so I'm hoping for an Andujar, Torres, Wade left side in AAA and Torreyes can take the Utility role. Then let inevitable injuries work it out - no way do I want Torreyes filling in over more than a few days anywhere.
    "No, I would not like to reconsider being a Yankee fan, and no, marrying a New Englander should have no bearing on it."

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Good news on the Mesa/Cortes front. Mesa seems to be doing that velo thing he went through last year.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...medium=twitter
    Anyelo Gomez got lit up today also, 4 ERs in 2 innings. Keep sucking for two more weeks, guys...

NYYF Legend

Higgy and Gley to AAA
    Calmer than you are

Even though the offense hasn't been there the past few games, Andujar made a pretty great play breaking in on a slow roller and rifling it to first for an out. Defense has been fine enough thus far.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I think Toe has at least one option left and maybe two.

He made his ML debut in 2015 for the LAD. In 2016 & 2017, it appears he spent the entire season on the ML roster, so no options would have been used for either of those years, at least as I understand options.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

With injuries to Ellsbury and Frazier its possible, they keep both at least temporarily. Wade can play the OF and Torreyes is solid against lefties. I might keep an extra pitcher though in Ellsbury's spot. It depends on what they do with Lind though.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post

He made his ML debut in 2015 for the LAD. In 2016 & 2017, it appears he spent the entire season on the ML roster, so no options would have been used for either of those years, at least as I understand options.
    I think you are right that he has options. According to MLBTR he's not one the out of option Yankees.

Barring injury or last minute trade, all the out of option Yankees appear to be a lock for the opening day roster with the possible exception of Shreve

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ions-2018.html

Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post

Thanks I checked and it was 8 games in 2015 so he has TWO option years. This is nice because we can use him in IF and utility role, possibly keep Wade in AAA Funny if this happens Andujar 3rd, Wade at SS and Torres at 2nd like IrishYankee posted. Holy Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    Even though the offense hasn't been there the past few games, Andujar made a pretty great play breaking in on a slow roller and rifling it to first for an out. Defense has been fine enough thus far.

past few games? check his last 25 Abs for the past week plus...

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post
    Your dislike of this player is highly irrational. It makes no sense to actively root against a player from your own team, especially when his talent is undeniable. Just weird.

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post

By all accounts, he had a few hard hit outs which could've been hits. The results aren't great but he's not cratering either. Still think Drury is the better option at 3rd to start but no prolonged slump/hot streak would've changed my mind either way.

Quote Originally Posted by ELKrackin' View Post
    Your dislike of this player is highly irrational. It makes no sense to actively root against a player from your own team, especially when his talent is undeniable. Just weird.

No again i do not root against him. But like REF from a few years ago some people on here make a big deal out of fielding a ground ball. The guy is now hitting 250s. All i am saying is he is not ready while others think he is all world already that's it.

I hope he makes it and is a superstar as i have said before. I just don't think he is as ready as some and like with REF every hard hit ball or a ball he fielded without making a error is made a big deal out of. It just comes down to him not being as ready to be all world as some think he is.

Some guys can hit and field and hit a home run do everything and on here and still nothing about them but a guy fields a ground ball and does not make a error and that is the news.

Thread Information