+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of the "4 quarters for a dollar" trades. I'll believe Eli is gone when it happens, but this team is a dumpster fire and imo trading OBJ poured gasoline on it
    I'm trying to be an optimist as I'm hoping John Mara and his partner are finally listening to Gettleman after last season's disaster and have adopted his plan to turn this franchise around.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    According to Jordan Ranaan, the Giants are going to a run-first attack.
    That's what you do when you don't have any receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Hiring George Young was the best move the Maras made. Before that my dad told me they used to draft on press clippings and had no real football front office opperation.
    In 1971, the Giants used their first round pick (#18) on a guy from West Texas State known more as a track and field sprinter than as a football player. Rocky Thompson. Sort of a hybrid running back/receiver/kick returner, but not particularly good at any of those skills. He'd go on to provide the Giants with a sum total of three TDs in his NFL career.

In '79, they used their first round pick (#7) to take a QB from the Ohio Valley Conference that nobody ever heard of. Nobody else was looking to draft him any higher than the third round. The pick, of course, was vociferously boo'ed, and I recall chants of "Rocky Thompson, Rocky Thompson, Rocky Thompson." That guy was Phil Simms, who turned out a lot better than Rocky Thompson did. [Joe Montana was available and didn't go until the 3rd round, but he was under-rated by the entire league, and not just the Giants.]

Yeah, as head-scratchingly inept as the Giants organization looks right now, it was a lot worse in the late 60s and 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Hiring George Young was the best move the Maras made. Before that my dad told me they used to draft on press clippings and had no real football front office opperation. The miracle and the Meadowlands was my first ever in person football game as a kid. That was tough loss at the time but years later I looked back it as probably the best thing that happened to the Giants as it was one of the things that put them over the edge in hiring Young.
    I watch them played once in Yankee Stadium as I was the only Giants fan in my family so my grandfather took me to see them. Since, I grew up in Connecticut, I watched them a couple of times at the Yale Bowl before they moved to Jersey. Each year the Giants were bad, even during the "Fran Tarkenton to Homer Jones" years. At least, during those losing years they were kind of exciting, but not as exciting as my other pro team that I grew up rooting for, the Raiders. Back then before the merger, I became a fan of the Giants and Raiders. My old man was a Packers and Jets fan so we had some spirited football arguments. I never hated the Packers because I was in awe of Lombardi, but I hate the Jets to this day.

Can you believe the Giants had the #1 pick in 1965, and chose Tucker Frederickson with that first pick and passed on Gale Sayers, Dick Butkus and Joe Namath? It didn't take long before I knew that was a major mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    In 1971, the Giants used their first round pick (#18) on a guy from West Texas State known more as a track and field sprinter than as a football player. Rocky Thompson. Sort of a hybrid running back/receiver/kick returner, but not particularly good at any of those skills. He'd go on to provide the Giants with a sum total of three TDs in his NFL career.

In '79, they used their first round pick to take a QB from the Ohio Valley Conference that nobody ever heard of. The pick, of course, was vociferously boo'ed, and I recall chants of "Rocky Thompson, Rocky Thompson." That guy was Phil Simms, who turned out a lot better than Rocky Thompson did. [Joe Montana was available and didn't go until the 3rd round, but he was under-rated by the entire league, and not just the Giants.]

Yeah, as head-scratchingly inept as the Giants organization looks right now, it was a lot worse in the late 60s and 70s.
    Man, don't get me started about Rocky Thompson. Talk about a disaster as a football player. I'm a Notre Dame fan then and still now and I had a fit when they passed on Montana and chose Simms. However, like you said, a whole bunch of teams made the mistake on passing on Montana. Also, Giants fans treated Simms horribly until they drafted LT and started to turn it around.

According to Jordan Ranaan, the Giants are going to a run-first attack.
    That's what you do when you don't have any receivers.
    Lol. Or an above-average QB. It's going to be a long year for Saquon.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Man, don't get me started about Rocky Thompson. Talk about a disaster as a football player. I'm a Notre Dame fan then and still now and I had a fit when they passed on Montana and chose Simms. However, like you said, a whole bunch of teams made the mistake on passing on Montana. Also, Giants fans treated Simms horribly until they drafted LT and started to turn it around.
    I think they treated him pretty horribly until Super Bowl 21.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3...eveland-browns

The Directionless Despair of Giants and Knicks Fandom
    Nothing could have prepared Giants loyalists for the Odell Beckham Jr. trade … except for the recent Kristaps Porzingis deal. It’s difficult to stomach losing the face of the franchise when neither team appears to have a discernible master plan.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post

Nothing could have prepared Giants loyalists for the Odell Beckham Jr. trade … except for the recent Kristaps Porzingis deal. It’s difficult to stomach losing the face of the franchise when neither team appears to have a discernible master plan.
    It's a total mess. Reese ran the team into the ground to the point where Eli was no longer a fit. Then they embarrassed Eli to the point where Mara went full 180 and is going out of his way to placating him even massively overpaying on his 2019 contract. In the mean time, no quarterback and no more star Beckham, and nobody knows what Gettleman is thinking but IMO he's planning to burn another season

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I'm a Notre Dame fan then and still now and I had a fit when they passed on Montana and chose Simms. However, like you said, a whole bunch of teams made the mistake on passing on Montana.
    October 18, 1975. I was an Air Force Academy Cadet, sitting in Falcon Stadium, cheering on my (at that time) inept Falcons against the Irish. Early in the 4th Quarter, Air Force led (inexplicably) 30-10. Notre Dame had benched their QB, and inserted a Sophomore backup.....Joe Montana. He led the Irish to three 4th-quarter TDs, and Notre Dame won, 31-30. One of the worst gut-punches I've ever endured as a sports fan.

So, when that '79 draft rolled around, I sure knew who Joe Montana was.

I think they treated him pretty horribly until Super Bowl 21.
    Fans wanted Scott Brunner to play over Simms. Gotta love fans.

In regards to Rocky Thompson, I think the Giants hoped they were getting Bob Hayes but ended up with Herb Washington.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post

Not the same thing at all (I can't believe I'm defending the Knicks).

Porzingis was miserable and his camp was threatening to sign the qualifying offer this summer to get to unrestricted free agency in 2020. They decided to do the opposite of what the Giants did with Collins and got the best deal they could. For the first time in forever, they're not tethered to albatross contracts and have cap space for 2 superstars, along with a stash of first round picks over the next few years (including the best odds at landing #1 this summer).

The Giants...I don't know what the hell they're doing until they show us a real succession plan for Eli.

Giants maybe trying to move up for a QB.

I don't buy the Rosen rumors. Why bring Eli back if you want Rosen? Rosen has already played basically a full season. Doesn't make much sense to waste another year on his rookie deal.

I heard nothing about the Giants liking Rosen last year. Darnold was the one QB that they were rumored to like.

Also doesn't add up that they bring in a second year QB but turn around and trade a weapon for him to throw to.

NYYF Legend

Why would they want Rosen, the guy has less than zero leadership qualities

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Giants maybe trying to move up for a QB.

I don't buy the Rosen rumors. Why bring Eli back if you want Rosen? Rosen has already played basically a full season. Doesn't make much sense to waste another year on his rookie deal.

I heard nothing about the Giants liking Rosen last year. Darnold was the one QB that they were rumored to like.

Also doesn't add up that they bring in a second year QB but turn around and trade a weapon for him to throw to.
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Why would they want Rosen, the guy has less than zero leadership qualities
    Obviously no idea what the truth is, but wouldn't put it past Gettleman to blow some smoke if he is trying to get Haskins without spending a ton to move up.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    Not the same thing at all (I can't believe I'm defending the Knicks).

Porzingis was miserable and his camp was threatening to sign the qualifying offer this summer to get to unrestricted free agency in 2020. They decided to do the opposite of what the Giants did with Collins and got the best deal they could. For the first time in forever, they're not tethered to albatross contracts and have cap space for 2 superstars, along with a stash of first round picks over the next few years (including the best odds at landing #1 this summer).

The Giants...I don't know what the hell they're doing until they show us a real succession plan for Eli.
    Agree. That's a pretty bad take - we know what the Knicks are trying to do, it's just not clear yet if they will be successful

Golden Tate 4/37.5

Lol...these damn fools think they are contenders

The plan is that there is no plan.

NYYF Legend

$9.3M per for a decent WR does not seem excessive. Somebody has to line up and catch passes.

DE Markus Golden on a 1-yr deal.

Golden Tate 4/37.5
    Picked Eli over OBJ....

As fans we say things for effect alot of times, but I say this in all honesty. This organization literally has NO CLUE what it's doing. NONE.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Sigh, even Jets fans are making fun of us now.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3...le-of-the-tape

Tale of the Tape: Are the Jets or Giants More Embarrassing?
    One last-place New York NFL team just traded away its best player. One last-place New York NFL team is the Jets. On the heels of a wild week, it’s time to ask the league’s most pressing question: Which of the two franchises will flop harder during the 2019 season?

https://www.thescore.com/news/1736798

Obviously its just a rumor but would anyone be surprised if its true? You have to wonder what its going to take this franchise to walk away from Eli. Its like he has them held hostage but its some kind of weird internal hostage situation.

The only thing worse then passing on Haskins but would be wasting a pick one of the mediocre QB's like Lock or Jones at 17.

Thread Information