2018 New York Giants Thread

Mike Shula is the new OC

NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

Not the most inspiring hire.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Not the most inspiring hire.
    It doesn't matter much as they're going to run Shurmur's offense which is why the Vikings QB Coach was the first choice. Giants fans freaking out about this hire need to calm down as they're not employing Shula's offense nor is Shula calling the plays.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    It doesn't matter much as they're going to run Shurmur's offense which is why the Vikings QB Coach was the first choice. Giants fans freaking out about this hire need to calm down as they're not employing Shula's offense nor is Shula calling the plays.
    I'm not freaking out. Just saying it's not the most exciting hire. Perhaps you disagree.

I'm not freaking out. Just saying it's not the most exciting hire. Perhaps you disagree.
    Never said you were as I was referring to "Giants fans" on social media and sports radio show. I'm sorry I didn't make that clearer to you. As to the excitement of this hire, it's not like there were a bunch of such hires available at this late date. This is what happens when you hire your HC from a Super Bowl team as most coaching staffs are already in place and it leaves slim pickings for choices.

NYYF Legend

If Shula turns out to be a great developer of QBs this will be very good hire. If he's not I suspect his tenure as OC will be short lived.

As you say Shumur is likely to be running much of the offensive show anyway.

I did like his DC hire. Guy from AZ right, Bettcher? He's constructed some good defenses down in the desert. Hopefully he work some magic in the Meadowlands or Met Life or whatever the hell it is these days.

None of it will matter though unless the new GM, Gettleman, has a better hit rate on his draft picks than Reece did in recent years. Outside of OBJ the Giants haven't done a great job drafting the last 5 years.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

If they called you and asked who they should hire, who would you say?

It might be misinformation (though Im not sure how much of that you need to do if you have the second pick) but Im getting the strong feeling the Giants will take Barkley.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    If they called you and asked who they should hire, who would you say?
    I really couldn't say. I'm not that in tune with all the coaches that may or may not have been available. That said, I just found Shula an uninspiring hire.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by wang+cano=future View Post
    It might be misinformation (though Im not sure how much of that you need to do if you have the second pick) but Im getting the strong feeling the Giants will take Barkley.
    I think that might be a short sighted pick but if they feel Eli has one to two good years in him and they aren't enamored with the QBs available it would be a win now move.

Of course they'd have to be pretty active in FA on the O-line front and probably hit on a starting O-line man later in the draft for that kind of gamble to have any chance of paying off.

Philly went all in and has cap issues but they are still the class of the division. Dallas was kind of a hot mess last year and the Red Skins are the Red Skins and will need a QB so G-men pushing in chips wouldn't be terrible. But I wouldn't be a fan of the pick, but I would root for it to work out if they go that direction.

I don't think I've ever been more convinced..

I want Barkley. dude looks to be a generational talent.

I bet the Browns take him, with the ability to still grab Allen/Mayfield at #4. Ugh.

NYYF Triple Crown

I bought today’s NY Post to read up on him.

Fml, I hope they get the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    I bet the Browns take him, with the ability to still grab Allen/Mayfield at #4. Ugh.
    They should but hopefully they think Giants might take the QB they want if they wait or someone would jump the colts

I truly hope the Giants pass on Barkley. That would be a colossal mistake. You don't take running backs in the first round, let alone 2nd overall. Running backs can easily be found later on in the draft. Not to mention that having a competent O-Line greatly benefits the running game. Now is the time to find the quarterback of the future. Please don't screw this up, Gettleman.

NYYF Legend

Looks like we may have our first big signing. Andrew Norwell, Guard.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/3/6...lled-done-deal
    Last edited by Donnybaseball72; 03-06-18 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Get Out!

I realize the offensive line is a wreck, but half your available cap space on an interior lineman?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I realize the offensive line is a wreck, but half your available cap space on an interior lineman?
    He's the best interior lineman available. He's a beast.

If it's true the local radio guys out here are not going to be happy. After signing Garappalo as #1 priority, they have been talking about signing Norwell pretty much no stop since December for the 49ers.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    I truly hope the Giants pass on Barkley. That would be a colossal mistake. You don't take running backs in the first round, let alone 2nd overall. Running backs can easily be found later on in the draft. Not to mention that having a competent O-Line greatly benefits the running game. Now is the time to find the quarterback of the future. Please don't screw this up, Gettleman.
    I’m practical. I’ll be as happy if they draft a top qb. But running a 4.40 at 233 lbs with a 41 inch vertical and an absurd 29 reps on the bench press is pretty hard to ignore.

Edit: and comparisons to Ladainian Tomlinson/Adrian Peterson

But I don’t want to keep my hopes up though.
    Last edited by Vin; 03-07-18 at 07:00 PM. Reason: to add Ladainian and Adrian

Just a hunch, but I think it's going to be either Rosen or Barkley. I'm leaning towards Rosen. I want the QB and also suspect that Cleveland will be taking Barkley with the 1'st. Based on rumors from months ago, Dorsey likes Darnold. He can get Darnold (I don't think the Giants pick him. He doesn't fit Gettleman's ideal QB. This based on prior quotes) or Allen 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Looks like we may have our first big signing. Andrew Norwell, Guard.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/3/6...lled-done-deal
    This who I wanted for months.

They should go QB round 1. OL round 2.

The OL should be improved if they get Norwell and if the right pick is made in round 2. But it's going to take more than one off season to fix the line.
    A lot of Giant fans online seem to ignore this.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post

That's what happens when you draft poorly.

Schefter says the Giants are sending 2 picks to the Rams for Ogletree

4th and a 6th to Rams for Ogletree

Thread Information