+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    Addicted Member

Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    https://www.thescore.com/news/1736798

Obviously its just a rumor but would anyone be surprised if its true? You have to wonder what its going to take this franchise to walk away from Eli. Its like he has them held hostage but its some kind of weird internal hostage situation.

The only thing worse then passing on Haskins but would be wasting a pick one of the mediocre QB's like Lock or Jones at 17.
    That's complicated. I don't expect them to tell a reporter what they are doing, because there's no strategic reason to be honest at this point. That said, I've seen a couple of folks assessing Haskins and questioning if he was as good as the guys they past on last year, so it wouldn't shock me. Also, if they are uncertain about Haskins, it would be hard to pass on some of the other talent that's available that early.

But this is the challenge of Gettleman's strategy; it wouldn't shock me if they pass on a QB, get enough veteran talent to win 6 or 7 games, and put themselves in a poor position to draft high next year.

https://www.thescore.com/news/1736798

Obviously its just a rumor but would anyone be surprised if its true? You have to wonder what its going to take this franchise to walk away from Eli. Its like he has them held hostage but its some kind of weird internal hostage situation.

The only thing worse then passing on Haskins but would be wasting a pick one of the mediocre QB's like Lock or Jones at 17.
    It's the time of the year where every NFL team lies, so there's that grain of salt...

But if they don't draft a QB... idk

I wish I believed Gettleman had a poker face, but he was telegraphing his Barkley interest for weeks leading up to the draft. I was hoping against hope that he was trying to create a haul for someone trading up for Darnold.

I didn't want the Giants to hire Gettleman to begin with, but the real problem with this franchise is ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I didn't want the Giants to hire Gettleman to begin with, but the real problem with this franchise is ownership.

No argument there. It always starts at the top and Mara is as clueless as they come. They seem to pride themselves so much on being "traditional" and "old school" that they dont advance with the times and still believe its 1985.

I honestly think that Mara was so shook by the public reaction to the benching of Eli for that one game, that he is now afraid to pull the plug. He cares more about not wanting to get a negative reaction for cutting the guy and moving on, then about looking forward and trying to build a winner again.

NYYF Legend

I hope we draft Montez Sweat..

NYYF Legend

I would put Getleman in the same bucket of old Football fogies as Mike Francessa. Last week Mike the dinosaur was hanging up on anyone who called to suggest Dwayne Haskins as a quarterback because "he's not a real quarterback" and basically he's hot garbage.

I'm pretty sure Gettleman thinks the exact same way - welcome to quarterback hell

Gettleman's comments today about Eli just prove once again that a moron is running this team. This franchise is so damn delusional.

NYYF Legend

Gettleman's comments today about Eli just prove once again that a moron is running this team. This franchise is so damn delusional.
    About Eli not being over paid? IDK, QB is a position that gets paid more than it should, especially for veteran starter. Now if they aren't reworking his contract because they want to cut ties at the end of the year without extending dead cap space into the future that's fine. Eli is in a group of over paid that includes Cousins, Flacco, Dalton and others but I really don't care what Gettelman says about Eli publicaly.

If they are looking to Eli as anything other than his last year as a Giant, then that's a problem. Though I have no problem with them being silent on the issue if the media as long as behind closed dorrs they are looking to the future at QB for 2020 and beyond.

What do you want him to say that Eli sucks? They're delusional if they sign him beyond next season as their starting QB.

What they should have done is cut Eli, signed someone like Tyrod Taylor, draft Haskins or Murray (trade up if needed) and start phasing them in by midseason or by like Game 9 or 10. Basically like what Warner did for Eli in 2004, or what Tyrod did for Mayfield last year.

Eli should no longer be here. He is finished and has been for several years. Trying to push this narrative of "he's still good and you're crazy if you dont agree" makes them look like clueless idiots. The eye test and any stat or advanced metric shows he is one of the worst QBs in the league. So are the Giants just "smarter" then everyone that they see something in him that nobody else does or no statistic shows? I dont buy it. They are simply afraid to move on from him for PR reasons.

What they should have done is cut Eli, signed someone like Tyrod Taylor, draft Haskins or Murray (trade up if needed) and start phasing them in by midseason or by like Game 9 or 10. Basically like what Warner did for Eli in 2004, or what Tyrod did for Mayfield last year.

Eli should no longer be here. He is finished and has been for several years. Trying to push this narrative of "he's still good and you're crazy if you dont agree" makes them look like clueless idiots. The eye test and any stat or advanced metric shows he is one of the worst QBs in the league. So are the Giants just "smarter" then everyone that they see something in him that nobody else does or no statistic shows? I dont buy it. They are simply afraid to move on from him for PR reasons.
    I want them to move on from Eli too, but I think a young QB will learn more from Eli than Tyrod Taylor, who will help prepare him to what it's going to be like to be the Giants QB.

You guys should of cut Eli, signed Bortles and draft Drew Lock. Once Lock gets up to speed start him.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN View Post
    You guys should of cut Eli, signed Bortles and draft Drew Lock. Once Lock gets up to speed start him.
    There's no reason to cut Eli at all. But on the other hand there's no reason not to tell him it's gonna be at $15M for 2019-20

Mara thinks he's having Eli's back to placate the fan base but he hasn't realized yet he is turning thousands of fans against Eli. It's pretty sad how they handled him in the past 5 years, and to think the Giants used to have a reputation of being a classy organization and doing everything right. The Jets, Knicks, & Islanders are actually more competent than the Giants right now - YIKES

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    There's no reason to cut Eli at all. But on the other hand there's no reason not to tell him it's gonna be at $15M for 2019-20

Mara thinks he's having Eli's back to placate the fan base but he hasn't realized yet he is turning thousands of fans against Eli. It's pretty sad how they handled him in the past 5 years, and to think the Giants used to have a reputation of being a classy organization and doing everything right. The Jets, Knicks, & Islanders are actually more competent than the Giants right now - YIKES
    I heard Eli wants no part in training his replacement, so I would save the money and move forward. Get a journeyman QB on the cheap and then get Haskins or Lock. Cutting Eli saves $12,000,000 on the cap, with about 11 million in dead money.

NYYF Legend

I heard Eli wants no part in training his replacement, so I would save the money and move forward.
    I find that hard to believe, unless he is very angry at them dumping his protege Davis Web and just said f it I'm not doing this anymore. And I mean if that's the case, besides the money that is a good reason to move on from Eli and take a flier on a journeyman QB to mentor Haskins, which apparently Gettleman thinks is hot garbage

Need a young QB!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Need a young QB!
    Giants recently had dinner with Haskins. Giants should draft Drew Lock or Haskins, start them day one and let Eli go.

NYYF Legend

start them day one and let Eli go.
    little late for that, Eli got his roster bonus 2 days ago

Giants are such a clown show

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    little late for that, Eli got his roster bonus 2 days ago

Giants are such a clown show
    Their GM seems to be a dud.

Very good pro day for Haskins.

Very good arm.
    He made all the throws. Really only made two bad ones. Throws a very catchable accurate ball. Very good anticipation and timing. Puts the ball where only his reciever could catch it.
    There was one throw where he rolled out to his left and threw an accurate deep ball. Excelllecnt throw.
    The talk was his end zone/fade throws needed work. All of them were good except one.
    He showed quicker feet too than he did at the combine.

I think the Giants need to watch out for a team moving ahead of them now.

Either trade up for Murray or Haskins, or dont take a QB and wait till 2020. I am tired of taking these project QBs i.e Nassib, Webb, Lauletta. I also want no part of Daniel Jones who has zero arm strength and will not succeed on this level. If the Giants take him at #17, the franchise should be folded.

Addicted Member

Either trade up for Murray or Haskins, or dont take a QB and wait till 2020. I am tired of taking these project QBs i.e Nassib, Webb, Lauletta. I also want no part of Daniel Jones who has zero arm strength and will not succeed on this level. If the Giants take him at #17, the franchise should be folded.
    I could be wrong, but I suspect that Gettleman won't trade up.

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    I could be wrong, but I suspect that Gettleman won't trade up.

I dont think they will. I fear very much he'll take a defensive player at 6, then Jones at 17. Disasterous.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I dont think they will. I fear very much he'll take a defensive player at 6, then Jones at 17. Disasterous.
    At that point they might as well trade Barkley too since they won't contend at all during his productive years.

Thread Information