+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 275
  1. #176
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    It only makes sense if your evaluation tells you one of the QBs on the board is likely to be a franchise QB. If your evaluations tell you you are paying top 2 pick for chopped liver then you either take the best available player (which is what the Giants did) or you trade out of the pick (which is what Indy did).
    Not quite the same situation between the Colts and Giants. The Colts have a franchise QB on the right side of 30 and the Giants have one that is 37 and declining.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

  2. #177

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Even if you don't like QB. That is a theory that if you aren't taking QB that early, there might not be a position valuable enough to take at that spot.
    So, seen as you are picking at that spot for a reason. Trading down, acquiring multiple picks and filling out your roster. That would probably be of greater value.

    So if you don't like the QB's, fine. But for a 3-13 team, in a sport where depth is more valuable than anything...being frivolous with the #2 pick runs counter to how conservative the club actually is. Even if they would think that taking the RB is the rational choice.

  3. #178

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Even if you don't like QB. That is a theory that if you aren't taking QB that early, there might not be a position valuable enough to take at that spot.
    So, seen as you are picking at that spot for a reason. Trading down, acquiring multiple picks and filling out your roster. That would probably be of greater value.

    So if you don't like the QB's, fine. But for a 3-13 team, in a sport where depth is more valuable than anything...being frivolous with the #2 pick runs counter to how conservative the club actually is. Even if they would think that taking the RB is the rational choice.
    The Giants weren't being frivolous with the #2 pick when they chose the player that was a consensus #1 rated prospect across the board.

  4. #179

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    The Giants weren't being frivolous with the #2 pick when they chose the player that was a consensus #1 rated prospect across the board.
    Outside of QB and his blindside blocker. Maybe every other position is frivolous at #2.
    We'll see a few years from now if the position was worth it, I guess.

  5. #180

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    This thread is putting most mensa conventions to shame.

  6. #181

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Outside of QB and his blindside blocker. Maybe every other position is frivolous at #2.
    We'll see a few years from now if the position was worth it, I guess.
    Well we just disagree then as each draft is different and there are going to be draft years in which the QB or blindside blocker class isn't good enough to draft one of those at #2.

  7. #182
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    I seem to recall that once upon a time the Giants drafted a Line Backer with the #2 overall pick in the draft. I think that pick worked out OK.

  8. #183
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I seem to recall that once upon a time the Giants drafted a Line Backer with the #2 overall pick in the draft. I think that pick worked out OK.
    What's your point?

  9. #184
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    What's your point?
    That you can may "non-frivolous" picks at #2 that are not QB or LT. Ironic, well in this case the pick was LT but not left tackle.

  10. #185

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    That you can may "non-frivolous" picks at #2 that are not QB or LT. Ironic, well in this case the pick was LT but not left tackle.
    A good point too!

  11. #186

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Paul Perkins has been waived due to his injury. Disappointing that he never built on, or even kept up, the promise he showed as a rookie.

    http://abc7ny.com/sports/paul-perkin...njury/3456078/

  12. #187

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Police are investigating the death of a man, identified as a family friend, whose body was found today in Janoris Jenkins' home while Jenkins is in Florida. And apparently Jenkins' brother, who was staying in the house, was supposedly trying to board a flight to Florida last night, but caused a delay saying he was too scared to fly, and eventually got off the plane. Yikes.

    https://people.com/crime/dead-body-f...noris-jenkins/

  13. #188

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/.../top-5-rookies

    82 OVR

    A legit draft stud, Barkley is a quality runner that immediately adds another level of offensive depth to a team that sorely needed it. Coming into the NFL with an 82 OVR, a solid score for a rookie, his base ratings make him an excellent runner for players with adequate stick skills. Barkley sports a 92 Speed, and a 93 Acceleration. His ball carrying moves include an 83 Trucking, 83 Stiff Arm, 86 Spin, and a 91 Juke. He’s a pure rusher with his less than stellar Route Running scores, but he can quickly become a community favorite for players looking for a well-balanced rusher.

  14. #189

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    The Giants took cornerback Sam Beal, from Western Michigan, in the 3rd round of the supplemental draft. Seems to pretty be highly regarded, and obviously an area of need.

    https://twitter.com/JordanRaanan/sta...00337986134018

  15. #190
    Released Outright NYY27champs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Wareham, MA

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Giants agree to a 2-year deal with Connor Barwin. Pretty much sets up our LB core now with his teammate in LA & NY Alec Ogeltree and will add to our pass rush. Our performance will be about how we can use the 4-3 base & Nickel defenses and the 3-4 base.

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...al-with-giants

  16. #191
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Standoff coming with OBJ. He's going to want 18-20 x 4. No way a wide receiver should eat up that kind of cap space

  17. #192

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    The Giants took cornerback Sam Beal, from Western Michigan, in the 3rd round of the supplemental draft. Seems to pretty be highly regarded, and obviously an area of need.

    https://twitter.com/JordanRaanan/sta...00337986134018
    And now he's out for the year with a shoulder injury. That de-escalated quickly.

    https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/statu...52119934234624

  18. #193
    Released Outright NYY27champs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Wareham, MA

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    We need our CBs to stay healthy this year because the last thing we need this season is our Cornerbacks getting injured. And this is just before training camp, just like last year. Feel bad for Beal.

  19. #194

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Standoff coming with OBJ. He's going to want 18-20 x 4. No way a wide receiver should eat up that kind of cap space
    If you are paying your QB a cheap salary, you can get around it. This time next year, maybe that will be the case.

  20. #195
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    If you are paying your QB a cheap salary, you can get around it. This time next year, maybe that will be the case.
    I think Eli is owed a huge amount next season

  21. #196

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    The dead money cap hit for Eli wouldn't be too bad in 2019 if he was off the team.

  22. #197
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    The dead money cap hit for Eli wouldn't be too bad in 2019 if he was off the team.
    His cap hit is $23M next year, $6.5M Dead Cap in 2019.
    Still I'd be kind of surprised if Eli wasn't the QB through 2019. After that though totally different story.

  23. #198
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-s...nts-1827992694

    Your 2017 record: 3-13. Another team went 0-16 in the NFL last season, and yet these Giants somehow had the more disastrous season. It was astonishing. Thrilling, really. Here we have the most overly mannered of NFL franchises. A team that’s run like a Park Avenue co-op board. A team would play in formal morning suits if the uniform code allowed for it. The Giants are so thirsty to appear dignified that it is truly, deeply awesome to watch them spend an entire season stepping on rakes. They got shut out by a team starting Drew Stanton. They let the Rams hang 51 on them at home.
    I tried to block out the 2017 season, but dammit reading this made me chuckle.

  24. #199

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    QBs look like crap

  25. #200

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    I was pro-Barkley (despite knowing it wasn't the most intelligent choice)...but with the Guice injury and now this, I'll be holding my breath.

    Saquon Barkley Exits Giants Practice With Left Leg Injury

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 3 guests)

  1. RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts