+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 807
  1. #126
    NYYF Triple Crown

    Vin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    I still think it’s a win-win for the Giants though. They got a versatile NFL ready running back with comparisons to Adrian Peterson and LaDainian Tomlinson and another losing season and they can get a much better selection of QB’s in the next years’s draft class with less warts. I’m guessing they’re already scouting some of those kids.

    Even Darnold is a turnover machine.

  2. #127
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I still think it’s a win-win for the Giants though. They got a versatile NFL ready running back with comparisons to Adrian Peterson and LaDainian Tomlinson and another losing season and they can get a much better selection of QB’s in the next years’s draft class with less warts. I’m guessing they’re already scouting some of those kids.

    Even Darnold is a turnover machine.
    Darnold's turnovers are alarming. The Browns made a gutsy pick with Mayfield. We could have traded down to 10 and gotten Rosen and that hurts.

  3. #128
    NYYF Triple Crown

    Vin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Darnold's turnovers are alarming. The Browns made a gutsy pick with Mayfield. We could have traded down to 10 and gotten Rosen and that hurts.
    I was on the Browns Facebook page and the fans are killing the pick and accdg. to the interwebz they botched the no. 4 pick as well. Can anyone imagine being a Browns fan right now?

    In the end, we got the Best player in the draft.

  4. #129
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I was on the Browns Facebook page and the fans are killing the pick and accdg. to the interwebz they botched the no. 4 pick as well. Can anyone imagine being a Browns fan right now?

    In the end, we got the Best player in the draft.
    Who cares what some idiots say on Facebook? Smart fans never post there. FB and Twitter are just cesspools of dumb sports fans.

    The problem with the Browns is that Hue Jackson is still their head coach. Is he still going to play McCarron over Mayfield week 1?

  5. #130

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    You can put anyone behind that line ( McFadden ran for 4.6 per and 1100 the year before ). Its the least important position on the field, you don't use a #pick on that.

    If they don't like the QB position. Trade out and take advantage of a team that does need a QB.
    Did you see what kamara did for the saints last year. The idea that you don’t use a first round pick on a running back is in reverse. The importance of one is coming back. The patriots just used a first rounder on a back. Or hunt for the chiefs?

    Elliot is way better than McFadden. 4.5 ypc is good, it isn’t great

    There’s no way the giants could plan to compete this year and take a quarterback with that pick. They have too many wholes. Barkley changes the whole dynamic of that offense

  6. #131

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Did you see what kamara did for the saints last year. The idea that you don’t use a first round pick on a running back is in reverse. The importance of one is coming back. The patriots just used a first rounder on a back. Or hunt for the chiefs?

    Elliot is way better than McFadden. 4.5 ypc is good, it isn’t great

    There’s no way the giants could plan to compete this year and take a quarterback with that pick. They have too many wholes. Barkley changes the whole dynamic of that offense
    The Saints were a good running team the year before, they had a good O-Line and a QB who is still performing at a high level. And Kamara was drafted in the 3rd round. Drafting a RB in the 3rd round makes complete sense.

    The Patriots taking one at 31? is a lot different from taking one with the #2 and when your QB is cooked. If we had Brady, then fair enough, I could spin a bad decision into a curious decision... but we don't have Brady. Brady will cover up any issues they have because he is one of the all time greats and still plays like it.

    Elliot is better but the difference between them, when it comes to overall team production, isn't massive. In 2015, Dallas averaged 4.6 yards per carry and in 2016, they average 4.8 with Elliot. And remember, 2015, Romo was hurt and they didn't have good QB'ing. Where as in 2016, Dak was there playing QB.
    The margins weren't significant, even though Elliot is better than McFadden.

    Too many holes. Exactly...if you have as many holes as we do and especially when one of those holes is at QB. You don't take a luxury position.
    Barkley would need to single handedly make the Giants running game the best in the league next year to make this pick worthwhile and a single player cannot do that.


    BUT!!!!! Lordy, I hope to be wrong because watching us scuffle again would be rather annoying.

  7. #132
    NYYF Triple Crown

    Vin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    https://nypost.com/2018/04/27/dave-g...ove-with-a-qb/

    When Dave Gettleman and the Giants looked at the quarterbacks available in the NFL draft, when they studied and evaluated Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield, they were looking to fall in love with one of them.

    Love never blossomed.

    “That tells you your answer right now,’’ Gettleman, the Giants general manager, said Thursday night. “If you have to try to make yourself fall in love with a player, it’s wrong. You will never be happy with the pick. You shouldn’t have to talk yourself into a guy.’’
    Looks like they went with a combination of gut instinct and talent evaluation.

    I really can’t fault them. If you know you’re not gonna be 100 percent happy on buying or getting something whether it’s a player or a physical object simply don’t do it. And you won’t have to torture yourself later on second guessing the pick.

    “People call you and they want the second pick in the draft for a bag of donuts, a hot pretzel and a hot dog,’’ Gettleman said. “Go away, leave me alone, I ain’t got time to screw around.’’
    And I’m glad he turned them down.

  8. #133
    2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS aeromac76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Huntington, NY

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    https://nypost.com/2018/04/27/dave-g...ove-with-a-qb/



    Looks like they went with a combination of gut instinct and talent evaluation.

    I really can’t fault them. If you know you’re not gonna be 100 percent happy on buying or getting something whether it’s a player or a physical object simply don’t do it. And you won’t have to torture yourself later on second guessing the pick.



    And I’m glad he turned them down.
    I don't know about that, if the donuts were the peanut butter filled chocolate frosted ones from Dunkin, then he made a mistake turning them down.. LOL..

  9. #134
    Gio-Gleyber SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    https://nypost.com/2018/04/27/dave-g...ove-with-a-qb/



    Looks like they went with a combination of gut instinct and talent evaluation.

    I really can’t fault them. If you know you’re not gonna be 100 percent happy on buying or getting something whether it’s a player or a physical object simply don’t do it. And you won’t have to torture yourself later on second guessing the pick.



    And I’m glad he turned them down.
    This makes me wonder what they're looking for in a QB? Cause this group had a little bit of everything. (big arms-Allen, mobile-Darnold, Good mechanics/nfl ready-Rosen Accuracy-Mayfield etc...) No QB prospect is perfect, so sometimes you have to take a chance. And it just looks like they were looking for a perfect combination.

    If they didn't like any of these QB's then they must not like Webb either. Many college QB evaluators rank this 2018 group way ahead of David Webb. One guy (forgot his name) said a couple months ago when asked to compare Webb to this crop, he said it's not close. He would rank 6th and still a 3rd round pick likely.

    Unless Shurmer can make Webb a decent QB, the Giants will have a QB problem in two years.

  10. #135

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    The Saints were a good running team the year before, they had a good O-Line and a QB who is still performing at a high level. And Kamara was drafted in the 3rd round. Drafting a RB in the 3rd round makes complete sense.

    The Patriots taking one at 31? is a lot different from taking one with the #2 and when your QB is cooked. If we had Brady, then fair enough, I could spin a bad decision into a curious decision... but we don't have Brady. Brady will cover up any issues they have because he is one of the all time greats and still plays like it.

    Elliot is better but the difference between them, when it comes to overall team production, isn't massive. In 2015, Dallas averaged 4.6 yards per carry and in 2016, they average 4.8 with Elliot. And remember, 2015, Romo was hurt and they didn't have good QB'ing. Where as in 2016, Dak was there playing QB.
    The margins weren't significant, even though Elliot is better than McFadden.

    Too many holes. Exactly...if you have as many holes as we do and especially when one of those holes is at QB. You don't take a luxury position.
    Barkley would need to single handedly make the Giants running game the best in the league next year to make this pick worthwhile and a single player cannot do that.


    BUT!!!!! Lordy, I hope to be wrong because watching us scuffle again would be rather annoying.
    Im a Pats fan. Eli is still good, he never was or is going to carry a team. Barkley is going to make your offense a lot better. Trust me

  11. #136
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    The Giants really think this team is good? They don't need a quick fix, they need a rebuild which is why they shouls have taken a QB.

  12. #137
    Gio-Gleyber SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Rosen not holding anything back.


    "There were nine mistakes ahead of me," Rosen said

    "I thought I should've been picked at 1, 2 or 3," Rosen said. "I dropped, and I was pissed. I was really, really angry. I wasn't really showing it. I was trying to keep calm, cool, composed. But I thought I was going to get picked, and I thought I was going to have to put on a face and try and fake happiness. But for some reason, right when I got that call, that's not what happened. I got really happy and really motivated.


    http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/st...takes-ahead-me

  13. #138
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    The Giants really think this team is good? They don't need a quick fix, they need a rebuild which is why they shouls have taken a QB.
    If they don’t think any of the QBs were going to be a fixture in that rebuild, why waste the 2nd pick on any of them?

  14. #139
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    If they donít think any of the QBs were going to be a fixture in that rebuild, why waste the 2nd pick on any of them?
    I think the question is that unless they totally suck in the future, they likely wouldn't even have the chance to pick a QB who they like but not love like this year class.

  15. #140

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    If they don’t think any of the QBs were going to be a fixture in that rebuild, why waste the 2nd pick on any of them?
    Suck again and put yourself in the top 4 picks next season. This team isn't winning anything, there is no point in pretending that we will just because of the faction that thinks Eli is good.

    We have a regime that is more interested in looking good, than actually trying to build something that is long lasting. Thats problematic if you don't already have a championship caliber squad.
    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Im a Pats fan. Eli is still good, he never was or is going to carry a team. Barkley is going to make your offense a lot better. Trust me
    Not without an O-Line...unless your former guy is going to fix the entire thing. To justify the pick, NYG will need to have a top 5 rushing attack next season and even then, I'm not sold that it will make a massive difference.

  16. #141
    Gio-Gleyber SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    I don't get how the Giants are the only team that did not like any of the QB's. I know Denver passed on Rosen/Allen but it sounded like they wanted Darnold. Some of the late talk 7 o'clock hour, was they were trying to trade up to 2 for him.

    So Gettleman knows more about QBs than the other GM's picking before and after the Giants? When did DG become a QB expert? Shurmer is but if he wanted one, wasn't his call.


    I think the pick is a win now move. Gettleman isn't young and likely looking for a quick impact selection.
    Another possibility is they see nothing wrong with Eli and think a lot of the offensive problems was due to bad schemes and O-line.

    Like I said, Giants going to have QB issues after Eli's contract is done. They still won't even know what they have in Webb cause unless Eli starts getting injured, Webb won't see the field to what 2020?

  17. #142
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    As a casual Giants fan, I am absolutely stoked about the Saquon pick.

  18. #143
    NYYF Cy Young

    Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The CT/MA Border, aka Pink Sox Territory

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    I don't mind the pick (don't love it either) but would be more okay with Barkley if they take Mason Rudolph in the 2nd rd.

    Get your RB for 'win now' and QB for 'win later'.

  19. #144

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I don't mind the pick (don't love it either) but would be more okay with Barkley if they take Mason Rudolph in the 2nd rd.

    Get your RB for 'win now' and QB for 'win later'.
    Id be pretty surprised if they drafted a QB this year. I would expect offensive line tonight.

  20. #145
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wang+cano=future View Post
    Id be pretty surprised if they drafted a QB this year. I would expect offensive line tonight.
    I agree I don't see them taking a QB.

    Unless someone on their board grades out huge, I'd be shocked if they didn't take an O-lineman with their first pick in the 2nd round.

    With picks 66 & 69 (or whatever the next two numbers are) I'd expect them to take best available on the board to also fill need which would be two of O-line, D-line or Line Backer

    I suspect the will take a late flier on WR to try to pair with OBJ. I don't see them trying to grab a WB with any of the next 3 picks.

  21. #146
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    I can't see the Giants taking Rudolph or another QB on day 2. It was #2 overall or bust. Davis Webb is as good or better than anyone left on the board. He was taken in the 3rd round last year. They have so many other needs. OL, LB, DL, Safety.

  22. #147

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Suck again and put yourself in the top 4 picks next season. This team isn't winning anything, there is no point in pretending that we will just because of the faction that thinks Eli is good.

    We have a regime that is more interested in looking good, than actually trying to build something that is long lasting. Thats problematic if you don't already have a championship caliber squad.

    Not without an O-Line...unless your former guy is going to fix the entire thing. To justify the pick, NYG will need to have a top 5 rushing attack next season and even then, I'm not sold that it will make a massive difference.
    Saquon Barkley can help your team well beyond your run attack. So I im going to disagree with that with all due respect

  23. #148
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Suck again and put yourself in the top 4 picks next season. This team isn't winning anything, there is no point in pretending that we will just because of the faction that thinks Eli is good.
    They might suck. I mean 3 win teams don't often turn it around in one season. I happens but it's pretty rare.
    We have a regime that is more interested in looking good, than actually trying to build something that is long lasting. Thats problematic if you don't already have a championship caliber squad.
    I disagree. If Barkley is the best player in the draft, I'm happy they took him. I mean you've hoping Saquon can be their bell weather back for 5 to 8 years.

    Not without an O-Line...unless your former guy is going to fix the entire thing. To justify the pick, NYG will need to have a top 5 rushing attack next season and even then, I'm not sold that it will make a massive difference.
    They have 3 of the next 40(?) picks. Maybe they plan on taking a tackle and a guard with 2 of those next 3 to help rebuild a line for Saquon to run behind and give Eli just a bit of time to find a hopefully healthy OBJ.

  24. #149

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Will Hernandez, G, UTEP with the 2nd rounder

  25. #150
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Liking the second round pick a lot.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts