+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
Results 576 to 600 of 807
  1. #576
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Would it be insane to think they should trade Saquon now? They could probably trade him to the Raiders for multiple firsts and possibly more?

  2. #577

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Would it be insane to think they should trade Saquon now? They could probably trade him to the Raiders for multiple firsts and possibly more?
    Im fine with that given the direction they are going now. I get that they thought they could win and went for it last year, hence the Barkley pick. However, picking Barkley over Darnold makes less sense now and you may as well extract value for him too. Though I think the chances of Gettleman pulling that trigger are less than 1% given how much in love he is with Barkley.

  3. #578
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I agree with you to an extent as it pertains to last October when they could've traded Collins for a draft choice, but I think they have a new plan now. This OBJ trade was the right move to make as they're clearly in a rebuild mode.
    It would be incompetence to keep Eli on this contract, I agree he should be on the team but he needs to take a big pay cut

  4. #579
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Would it be insane to think they should trade Saquon now? They could probably trade him to the Raiders for multiple firsts and possibly more?
    Timing isn't right. You bet on Saquon for another great season and give you flexibility to see where the team is a year later. I don't see any no doubter franchise QB in this year draft so no need to go all in on getting draft assets.

  5. #580
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Why do the Giants have dead money from a trade? I thought that only happens when you cut a player?

    Any way they can swing some of these picks to Arizona for Rosen? Have him compete with Eli for the starter job.
    I don’t know the “why” of the dead space, but the Steelers are also eating a bunch of AB’s money.

  6. #581

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Beckham's "antics" are overrated. By all accounts his teammates didn't find them to be a distraction, and he was well liked in the room.

    I'm convinced he was traded because he beefed with Eli. Which means they're committed to playing Eli this year, they chose him over OBJ

  7. #582
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    I like the QB from Ohio State. If Bosa goes #1 to AZ would it be crazy to trade with SF to get the #2 pick for #6, assuming Bosa was their guy and they aren’t crazy about Williams or Allen at #2. I think the Giants have 12 picks in this draft so maybe trade #6 a 3rd and 5th rounder for #2?

  8. #583
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I don’t know the “why” of the dead space, but the Steelers are also eating a bunch of AB’s money.
    Because signing bonus although is paid out immediately, for salary cap calculation it's pro-rata through the signed contract length with the original team. If the player is traded, all the remaining pro-rata cap money would fall into the year he gets traded.

  9. #584

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I like the QB from Ohio State. If Bosa goes #1 to AZ would it be crazy to trade with SF to get the #2 pick for #6, assuming Bosa was their guy and they aren’t crazy about Williams or Allen at #2. I think the Giants have 12 picks in this draft so maybe trade #6 a 3rd and 5th rounder for #2?
    I think they can stay tight at 6 and get Haskins. The heavy rumor is that Arizona will take Murray at 1 (and trade Rosen), then SF, Jets, Raiders and Bucs most likely wont go QB. I also cant see Gettleman trading up, I dont think he has ever maneuvered in the first round in his draft tenure.

  10. #585
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    Beckham's "antics" are overrated. By all accounts his teammates didn't find them to be a distraction, and he was well liked in the room.

    I'm convinced he was traded because he beefed with Eli. Which means they're committed to playing Eli this year, they chose him over OBJ
    FWIW The Ringer is not high on this move.
    https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3...ants-nfl-trade

    there’s no defense for dealing Beckham just a few months after handing him a gigantic extension. They paid him nearly $21.5 million in cash only to deal him before the second year of his extension began. We’ll likely hear reports about how Beckham was a distraction and a detrimental presence in the locker room, but again, this isn’t like the Brown-Steelers fiasco. Brown publicly called out his quarterback on multiple occasions; even if Beckham quietly harbored resentment about the Giants’ treatment of Eli Manning, the worst of his documented offenses have been a couple of temper tantrums on the sideline and an act of violence against a kicking net. Gettleman appears to have sided with Manning, a 38-year-old quarterback who stopped playing to the level of his contract years ago, over Beckham, one of the most talented offensive players in football who was about to enter his prime on a palatable contract. There’s no rationalizing that decision on any level.

    After trading his best player (less than a week after dealing Vernon to the Browns), Gettleman can no longer reasonably claim that the Giants are trying to compete in 2019. They have no discernible plan or direction and there’s been no trace of cohesion among any of their decisions over the past 12 months. Last week, the Giants didn’t use the franchise tag on safety Landon Collins, at the meager cost of $11.2 million, because they reportedly worried about his limitations as an in-the-box safety. A significant part of the Giants’ return in the trade for Beckham is Peppers—an in-the-box safety.

  11. #586

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    FWIW The Ringer is not high on this move.
    https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3...ants-nfl-trade
    No one should be high on this move

  12. #587

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wang+cano=future View Post
    Im glad Beckham is gone. He never is one the field anymore, takes up a huge cap hit, and seemed to be a major distraction off and on the field.
    I'm going to take Geoff Schwartz's word for it since he actually played with the guy: https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/st...30361139195905
    I hope ppl don’t think Odell is an actual distraction in the locker room because he proposed to a kicking net once. He’s loved in the locker room. Works his ass off. Keeps it loose in the locker room. Clearly an excellent playmaker. If he was traded for being a distraction. Yikes


    The real cancer here is their dumbass owner. Remember when Giants ownership was one of the most revered institutions in all of sports? Wellington Mara must be turning over in his grave.
    "He's admitted to us he's abused his wife in the past," Mara told Francesa, minutes after the team announced Brown will not travel to London for Sunday's game against the Rams after police documents emerged revealing Brown made written admissions of domestic violence against his wife.

    "But what I think is a little unclear is the extent of that."

    So unclear, in fact, the Giants are not yet ready to cut the embattled 37-year-old kicker.
    "We wanted to find somebody who had the intelligence, the determination, the work ethic and the leadership skills to be a successful head coach in the National Football League," Mara said. "We believe we have that in Ben McAdoo."

  13. #588

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    No one should be high on this move
    I am as it was the right move to be made now. They screwed up last year and it's ownership fault for being too loyal to Eli. Now, it's time to cut your losses and shift their focus to rebuilding this roster and finding a QB that can lead this franchise towards the future.

  14. #589

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    I'm going to take Geoff Schwartz's word for it since he actually played with the guy: https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/st...30361139195905




    The real cancer here is their dumbass owner. Remember when Giants ownership was one of the most revered institutions in all of sports? Wellington Mara must be turning over in his grave.




    The Giants ownership has been iffy off and on for almost 60 years going back to the closing of the Y.A. Tittle years. Family squabbles and utter incompetence has held them back even when Wellington ran the team with his brother and then nephew. John Mara is going through the similar phase of incompetence like his father did until George Young came around when Pete Rozelle convinced them to hire George Young.

  15. #590

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I am as it was the right move to be made now. They screwed up last year and it's ownership fault for being too loyal to Eli. Now, it's time to cut your losses and shift their focus to rebuilding this roster and finding a QB that can lead this franchise towards the future.
    So you take away the BEST weapon the young QB is going to have?

    No this is choosing Eli over OBJ. The correct move was getting rid of the old QB who brings every other offensive player down.

  16. #591

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    So you take away the BEST weapon the young QB is going to have?

    No this is choosing Eli over OBJ. The correct move was getting rid of the old QB who brings every other offensive player down.
    Eli is leaving too, might not be this offseason, but the skids will be greased soon enough.

  17. #592
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    So you take away the BEST weapon the young QB is going to have?

    No this is choosing Eli over OBJ. The correct move was getting rid of the old QB who brings every other offensive player down.
    I like OBJ. But I also like the 3:1 deal they made. I actually think this is a trade that will help both teams.
    And 99.9% certain that Eli is gone after this year, if not sooner.

  18. #593

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I like OBJ. But I also like the 3:1 deal they made. I actually think this is a trade that will help both teams.
    And 99.9% certain that Eli is gone after this year, if not sooner.
    I'm not a huge fan of the "4 quarters for a dollar" trades. I'll believe Eli is gone when it happens, but this team is a dumpster fire and imo trading OBJ poured gasoline on it

  19. #594
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of the "4 quarters for a dollar" trades. I'll believe Eli is gone when it happens, but this team is a dumpster fire and imo trading OBJ poured gasoline on it
    I'm usually not either. But in this case it makes sense to stockpile the assets.
    I'm more worried about Gettleman's ability to turn the 1st and 3rd rounder into productive players.

  20. #595

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    The Giants ownership has been iffy off and on for almost 60 years going back to the closing of the Y.A. Tittle years. Family squabbles and utter incompetence has held them back even when Wellington ran the team with his brother and then nephew. John Mara is going through the similar phase of incompetence like his father did until George Young came around when Pete Rozelle convinced them to hire George Young.
    I'm not that young but I'm not that old...I'll take your word for it. I guess their reputation has been romanticized over the years.

  21. #596
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    The Giants ownership has been iffy off and on for almost 60 years going back to the closing of the Y.A. Tittle years. Family squabbles and utter incompetence has held them back even when Wellington ran the team with his brother and then nephew. John Mara is going through the similar phase of incompetence like his father did until George Young came around when Pete Rozelle convinced them to hire George Young.
    Hiring George Young was the best move the Maras made. Before that my dad told me they used to draft on press clippings and had no real football front office opperation. The miracle and the Meadowlands was my first ever in person football game as a kid. That was tough loss at the time but years later I looked back it as probably the best thing that happened to the Giants as it was one of the things that put them over the edge in hiring Young.

  22. #597
    Devoted Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Paris

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I'm usually not either. But in this case it makes sense to stockpile the assets.
    I'm more worried about Gettleman's ability to turn the 1st and 3rd rounder into productive players.
    They drafted pretty well last year - I think their mistake was not taking a QB in the first round, but they did a nice job of finding value otherwise.

    One thing that isn't getting much attention is that isn't just that the Giants have a lot of dead money - it's also the case that the Browns have Beckham on a pretty nice contract for the next 4 years. I don't have a problem with the idea of rebuilding, but it really hurts that they didn't start the rebuild earlier. I'll be curious to see if they actually do go QB in round 1.

  23. #598
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    They drafted pretty well last year - I think their mistake was not taking a QB in the first round, but they did a nice job of finding value otherwise.

    One thing that isn't getting much attention is that isn't just that the Giants have a lot of dead money - it's also the case that the Browns have Beckham on a pretty nice contract for the next 4 years. I don't have a problem with the idea of rebuilding, but it really hurts that they didn't start the rebuild earlier. I'll be curious to see if they actually do go QB in round 1.
    I disagree on the 1st round last year. I still think Barkley was the correct pick. But if Gettleman can find value with these picks, it could be a quick rebuild.

    • No. 6 overall (Round 1)
    • No 17 overall (Round 1)
    • No. 37 overall (Round 2)
    • No. 95 overall (Round 3)
    • No. 108 overall (Round 4)
    • No. 132 overall (Round 4)
    • No. 142 overall (Round 5)
    • No. 143 overall (Round 5)
    • No. 171 overall (Round 5)
    • No. 180 overall (Round 6)
    • No. 232 overall (Round 7)
    • No. 245 overall (Round 7)

  24. #599

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    According to Jordan Ranaan, the Giants are going to a run-first attack.

  25. #600

    Re: 2018 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    I'm not that young but I'm not that old...I'll take your word for it. I guess their reputation has been romanticized over the years.
    Wellington's reputation got a boost because he and Halas decided to share the TV money equally with small market teams like Green Bay. He didn't have to do that, but felt it was best move for the league's long-term viability.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts