Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: 2018 National Football League Season Thread

Saints cover
    Rams win, Cowgirls cover
    Chiefs win, Colts cover
    Pats win, Chargers cover

NYYF Legend

sticking with all my picks from a week ago, moneyline Eagles, Rams, Chiefs, and Patriots all win

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    sticking with all my picks from a week ago, moneyline Eagles, Rams, Chiefs, and Patriots all win
    What would that parlay pay out? I can't check as I'm at work.

Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

BB55's Picks - NFL Divisional Round

AFC
    Colts over Chiefs
    Patriots over Chargers

NFC
    Cowboys over Rams
    Saints over Eagles

NYYF Legend

Predictions:

AFC Wild Card Round
    Colts over Texans
    Chargers over Ravens

AFC Divisional Round
    Chiefs over Colts
    Patriots over Chargers

AFC Championship Game
    Patriots over Chiefs

NFC Wild Card Round
    Eagles over Bears
    Cowboys over Seahawks

NFC Divisional Round
    Eagles over Saints
    Rams over Cowboys

NFC Championship Game
    Rams over Eagles

SUPERBOWL
    Patriots over Rams
    6-0 on my predictions so far

NYYF Legend

May your string of correct predictions end today!! GO BOLTS!!!

NYYF Legend

I hope you go 0-2 today I’m rooting for anybody but Philly or New England for the Super Bowl. Don’t really care who wins as long it’s not one of those 2.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Fan View Post
    May your string of correct predictions end today!! GO BOLTS!!!

You can take the Chargers out of San Diego, but you can't take the San Diego out of the Chargers.

The only team remaining in the playoffs that I don't want to win it all is New England. I'm good with any of the others. I just can't help it.

NYYF Legend

aww yeah, 7-0 on my picks and 7-0 lead on my 8th pick very early in the game

NYYF Legend

aww yeah, 7-0 on my picks and 7-0 lead on my 8th pick very early in the game
    I’m happy you didn’t make 8-0. I couldn’t stand the possibility of last years SB where I was rooting against both teams.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I’m happy you didn’t make 8-0. I couldn’t stand the possibility of last years SB where I was rooting against both teams.
    well, Eagles crapped the bed so in that sense everyone is a winner =)

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Saints cover
    Rams win, Cowgirls cover
    Chiefs win, Colts cover
    Pats win, Chargers cover
    Pat myself on the back for managing to go 0-4 ATS which is just as hard as going 4-0.

Happy the Colts and Eagles lost. Will be happy with any of the 4 teams left winning it all.

Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

The theme in the NFL Divisional Rounds was whoever wins the battle in the trenches wins the game.

The Chiefs, Patriots, Rams and Saints won by winning the line of scrimmage in the running game.

I expect more fireworks in both conference championship games.

NYYF Legend

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...-colleges-espn

Football as a sport is starting to have an insurance problem.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...-colleges-espn

Football as a sport is starting to have an insurance problem.
    I'm a total layman on the inner workings of insurance but I don't understand the problem. Yes, it does seem like players will become un-insurable for head trauma, but can't that be brushed away with the stroke of a pen forcing all players to sign a waiver stating "we are not responsible in any way for the spaghettification of your brain, by playing this sport you agree that you are likely to develop serious problems and if you do you agree right now that you will never be allowed to sue us"

NYYF Legend

I'm a total layman on the inner workings of insurance but I don't understand the problem. Yes, it does seem like players will become un-insurable for head trauma, but can't that be brushed away with the stroke of a pen forcing all players to sign a waiver stating "we are not responsible in any way for the spaghettification of your brain, by playing this sport you agree that you are likely to develop serious problems and if you do you agree right now that you will never be allowed to sue us"
    They could. But if that's the case it's the school who wouldn't want to have one. The threat of litigation risk would totally fall to the school and football programme. If even the insurance company couldn't absorb the risk, do you think a school would be able to absorb it?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    They could. But if that's the case it's the school who wouldn't want to have one. The threat of litigation risk would totally fall to the school and football programme. If even the insurance company couldn't absorb the risk, do you think a school would be able to absorb it?
    Why would the school care if there's a waiver? This is what I'm not understanding

NYYF Legend

Why would the school care if there's a waiver? This is what I'm not understanding
    The insurance wavier relief the insurance company liability, not the school. If you're the player who suffer a head injury, you sue the school and the school then asks insurance company for recovery (assume you win in court). Now if the insurance company doesn't cover the head related injury, the school has to absorb all the potential loss in litigation.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    The insurance wavier relief the insurance company liability, not the school. If you're the player who suffer a head injury, you sue the school and the school then asks insurance company for recovery (assume you win in court). Now if the insurance company doesn't cover the head related injury, the school has to absorb all the potential loss in litigation.
    Yes but why can't the school also require a very explicit air-tight waiver for all students before they even step on a football field. "If anything happens you agree that it's not our fault and you can't ever sue for any reason, including but not limited to A-1), ... B-1) .... Z-7373)... scenarios etc..."

NYYF Legend

Yes but why can't the school also require a very explicit air-tight waiver for all students before they even step on a football field. "If anything happens you agree that it's not our fault and you can't ever sue for any reason, including but not limited to A1), B2) .... Z7373) scenarios etc..."
    They could. Then the question is that if you're the parent of a 10 years old kid, would you let your kid play football when you know no insurance company, the expert in risk assessment, would cover and school is afraid to take the risk so much that they ask you to waive the right to sue them. The students themselves may want to play but the parents may have another idea.

Yes but why can't the school also require a very explicit air-tight waiver for all students before they even step on a football field. "If anything happens you agree that it's not our fault and you can't ever sue for any reason, including but not limited to A-1), ... B-1) .... Z-7373)... scenarios etc..."
    Like you, I don't really know specifics - what you're suggesting seems to make sense to me, at least for college and pros. But for high school and youth sports, I don't think the school or league can protect itself with waivers. Minors can't legally waive their rights, and, in most states, parents can't waive their childrens' rights either, so without insurance I think an organization putting on youth sports would have significant liability issues.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Like you, I don't really know specifics - what you're suggesting seems to make sense to me, at least for college and pros. But for high school and youth sports, I don't think the school or league can protect itself with waivers. Minors can't legally waive their rights, and, in most states, parents can't waive their childrens' rights either, so without insurance I think an organization putting on youth sports would have significant liability issues.
    Good point, it would take some shady disassociation of entities. Create some shell LLCs unaffiliated with the school that can easily go bankrupt and shield them from liability. School might have to sell the athletic properties to make a clean break

One thing that would be a game changer is if an athlete started suing every player that hit him hard over the years and actually won a judgement.
    Last edited by GordonGecko; Yesterday at 05:17 PM.

Good write-up on the matchups for this weekend. I can't wrap my head around all the advanced metrics of Football Outsiders so reading this article was much easier to digest than what Schatz puts up on his website.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playof...s-keys-preview

My picks:

Pats +3.5 (they'll lose by 3)
    Saints -3.5 (they win by 7)

However my ideal Super Bowl would be Pats beating the Rams and Brady retires coming full circle.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Good write-up on the matchups for this weekend. I can't wrap my head around all the advanced metrics of Football Outsiders so reading this article was much easier to digest than what Schatz puts up on his website.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playof...s-keys-preview

My picks:

Pats +3.5 (they'll lose by 3)
    Saints -3.5 (they win by 7)

However my ideal Super Bowl would be Pats beating the Rams and Brady retires coming full circle.
    You like Brady?

NYYF Legend

So actually I just read the entire article and I now understand the issue which is government regulation. Pretty much all states require operating businesses to carry general liability and workers' compensation insurance. Without it companies are fined out of existence. So basically it's looking like the future of contact sports will depend on states changing the laws to make exceptions for sports teams.

This is a pretty big looming disaster so look for team owners to start lobbying hard with their buddies in government

Thread Information