+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: The 2018 Super Official Aaron Judge Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I disagree. That pitch had a ton of vertical movement and would have been a strike at the bottom of the zone (yes, Judge contacted it higher than it would have hit the catcher's mitt, as does every other hitter when they hit a ball, and it was still only ~3 inches above the bottom of the zone at that point).

It was middle instead of away, but if Judge doesn't swing there (or is looking fastball and swings over the top), I guarantee announcers fawn over that pitch as Judge is walking back to the dugout. That is not an easy pitch to hit, even though it was not a perfect pitch. Not a hanger at all.
    Well, you know better than Cone, who called it a "hanging curve" before yesterday's game. I'm just glad he hit it.

NYYF Legend

A big slow curve at the bottom of the strike zone is definitely a hanger. Great players crush mistake and Judge just did it.

Its still the eighth, but it looks like another game winner. He crushes mediocre pitching. Hes too selective with great pitching. His strike zone judgment is better than 99% of umps.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    A big slow curve at the bottom of the strike zone is definitely a hanger. Great players crush mistake and Judge just did it.
    By your logic, a 78 mph curve should never be thrown for a strike, or it would be a hanger. Which is silly, considering it's really important for pitchers to be able to throw a strike with any of their pitches if they need to (or else hitters will ignore them).

The one Judge just hit out (against the Mets) was a hanger.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    By your logic, a 78 mph curve should never be thrown for a strike, or it would be a hanger. Which is silly, considering it's really important for pitchers to be able to throw a strike with any of their pitches if they need to (or else hitters will ignore them).

The one Judge just hit out (against the Mets) was a hanger.
    Don't put words in my mouth. Where did I say that it should never be thrown for strike.

This has been one of the most pointless long winded debates Iíve ever seen in this thread.

NYYF Legend

Don't put words in my mouth. Where did I say that it should never be thrown for strike.
    I used deductive reasoning. If curveballs with a ton of vertical break at the bottom of the zone are hangers, the term hanger has no meaning.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SevvyWave View Post
    His strike zone judgment is better than 99% of umps.
    That is why he is ... the man they call JUDGE!

Pitchers can manipulate the depth of a curveball, though. He could have thrown a tighter breaking ball with less break at the same 78 mph velocity in the same location that wouldve been a much better pitch and much harder for Judge to hit. Hughes used to throw some majestic-looking curveballs that devastated minor leaguers but the pitch frequently had too much break/hump and MLers much more often would hit it when it was in the zone or spit on it when it wasn't.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Near .400 OBP and on pace for 44HR with no one threatening batting behind him for all of May and June. If Stanton was a .285/45hr guy, I bet Judge would be even better.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Near .400 OBP and on pace for 44HR with no one threatening batting behind him for all of May and June. If Stanton was a .285/45hr guy, I bet Judge would be even better.
    So you recently stated as fact that "clutch" doesn't exist but, at the same time, you believe in lineup protection, which is regarded as myth by the same folks who call clutch a fallacy. Very interesting....

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    So you recently stated as fact that "clutch" doesn't exist but, at the same time, you believe in lineup protection, which is regarded as myth by the same folks who call clutch a fallacy. Very interesting....
    I dunno- I never read that stat, but I'm certain I've seen players get pitched around before, including Judge.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

judge has been in a bad rut since the last road trip he not walking as much.. his stats on the road compared to home are really bad..

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    judge has been in a bad rut since the last road trip he not walking as much.. his stats on the road compared to home are really bad..
    Do you feel it's your duty to talk about every player's warts? Judge is having a fantastic sophomore season. Nobody will hit .400, every player has peaks and valley throughout a long season.

Judge at the Stadium is like a 6-foot-7 Jeter. He inside-outs on almost every swing. Tries to play pepper with the RF porch. I can't disagree with his approach. There's gonna be another stretch where those oppo line-drives, like tonight's double, will be sprayed into the seats in bunches.

Remember when Judge had 8 strikes in a double header? Neither do I. His approach, patience, and exit velo will guarantee he hits for a good average. And when he gets hot, hes as good as anyone one in baseball. His negative defensive metrics earlier this season have returned to normal, which is a top 3 defensive right fielder. Hes had 3 straight multi-hit games and is on a 5 game hit streak. I think its a matter of time before he goes on a "you cant beat me" homer binge. He's a damn good hitter with other worldly physical talents.

NYYF Legend

Before today game:

Away - .197/.280/.402

Quote Originally Posted by SevvyWave View Post
    Remember when Judge had 8 strikes in a double header? Neither do I. His approach, patience, and exit velo will guarantee he hits for a good average. And when he gets hot, hes as good as anyone one in baseball. His negative defensive metrics earlier this season have returned to normal, which is a top 3 defensive right fielder. Hes had 3 straight multi-hit games and is on a 5 game hit streak. I think its a matter of time before he goes on a "you cant beat me" homer binge. He's a damn good hitter with other worldly physical talents.

judge strikes out the same as stanton judge been terrible on the road this year...

NYYF Legend

Before today game:

Away - .197/.280/.402
    He missed what were basically three middle-middle breaking balls in his first AB before swinging at something out of the zone to K in his first AB. I hate seeing this guy in the throes of a funk like that.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Judge needs to start complaining more to umpires.

This quiet and polite approach isn't helping. We know that for sure.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Left-Handed Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post

You saw a little bit of it last night. I donít think itíll be long before he barks on one of Ďem, and itíll be completely justified.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post

Correct. Has to start complaining
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Correct. Has to start complaining
    complaining is not going to change a thing.. judge is so huge umpires mistake his strikezone..

judge has really struggled on the road all year hitting under 190 this season.. 6 home runs 13 rbi's...last year on the road judge hit 256 19 home runs 46 rbi's..

NYYF Cy Young

Saw this video on facebook - it's too awesome not to share. Mad respect to #99.

https://www.facebook.com/thebsbking/...aQhBADQA2BS21k

Thread Information