+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: The 2018 Super Official Aaron Judge Performance Thread

The coolest thing about the first two weeks of this season to me is that Aaron Judge is giving no sign that he's not a Trout-level hitter at this point. I wouldn't say it's getting "lost" in the other news, but it's not front-and-center, either. The hoopla around Stanton, the mediocre record to start the year, and now the fight in Boston have all garnered more attention than Judge beginning the season calmly and evenly, and still posting a 200 wRC+. All the signs we saw last year of an historically good hitter are present again - lots of walks, king of the 3-2 count, high BABIP, etc - and he hasn't even started impacting the ball at the unprecedented rate we saw last season.

Hopefully this is just who this man is as a baseball player, because if so we're talking all-time legend levels of production, not merely "All-Star", "MVP", "elite", or whatever other regular accolades we use to label the league's best annually.

I personally don't accept it at this point - those types of players are so few and far between - but man am I excited at the prospect.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

When Judge was drafted, the player comp that I dreamed on was Frank Thomas. He actually accepted a football scholarship and played TE at Auburn. I guess baseball was his side hobby at the time.

It still amazes me how well he was able to control the k-zone given his power production and his size. His prime seasons were before QuesTec and pitch f/x, when umps were notorious for calling wide strike zones.

I'm still dreaming on the Big Hurt btw.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    The coolest thing about the first two weeks of this season to me is that Aaron Judge is giving no sign that he's not a Trout-level hitter at this point. I wouldn't say it's getting "lost" in the other news, but it's not front-and-center, either. The hoopla around Stanton, the mediocre record to start the year, and now the fight in Boston have all garnered more attention than Judge beginning the season calmly and evenly, and still posting a 200 wRC+. All the signs we saw last year of an historically good hitter are present again - lots of walks, king of the 3-2 count, high BABIP, etc - and he hasn't even started impacting the ball at the unprecedented rate we saw last season.

Hopefully this is just who this man is as a baseball player, because if so we're talking all-time legend levels of production, not merely "All-Star", "MVP", "elite", or whatever other regular accolades we use to label the league's best annually.

I personally don't accept it at this point - those types of players are so few and far between - but man am I excited at the prospect.
    Plus, he squeezed Kelly’s head like a pimple.

It’s going to be great watching this guy in the coming years.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

\rever....

Calls a tool a tool

Good to see him start fast against the sox. IIRC he didnt do much against them last year.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Good to see him start fast against the sox. IIRC he didnt do much against them last year.
    You recall correctly. He was pretty bad against the Sawx last year. This year is already so much better against them.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    I'm still dreaming on the Big Hurt btw.
    Judge's rookie year production was almost identical to prime Big Hurt. Over Thomas' first 7 full years in the league he produced a 1.056 OPS, good for a 177 wRC+.

Judge posted a 1.049 last year good for a 173 wRC+, and that's with the massive slump...

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Judge quelled that fight last night. He should get a -5 game suspension. Like 5 get out of suspensions free cards.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

NYYF Legend

"Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

What has impressed me so far this year is Judge's strikeout rate, which is far below last year's rate. Last year his BA when hitting the ball fair was incredible. Hard to believe he's barely into his 2nd year in the majors. If Stanton and Sanchez start hitting consistently Judge will be seeing more pitches to hit than ever.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post

When I read that, my first thought was ... Babe Ruth faced the Jays?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    When I read that, my first thought was ... Babe Ruth faced the Jays?
    The exact same thing happened to me.

hahahaha @ the insane fortune of the Yankees ending up with this historic-level type of player. His only limit is that shoulder. As long as it stays healthy, it's a wrap.
    “Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra

I was reading through the 2017 and 2016 Judge threads for entertainment and to my pleasant surprise most of the 2017 negativity emphasized his injury as his problem, though there was a lot of concern about RISP hitting.

http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthre...-Thread/page71

side note: while going through I noticed that teknetic got RO'd. Howd that happen?
    “Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra

Judge struggled in the opening series at Toronto. And there was an article about the Blue Jays boasting how they figured him out. The book was out on him so to speak.

Three weeks later, he's posting over a 200 wRC+ and STILL breaking Mark McGwire's old records.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    I was reading through the 2017 and 2016 Judge threads for entertainment and to my pleasant surprise most of the 2017 negativity emphasized his injury as his problem, though there was a lot of concern about RISP hitting.

http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthre...-Thread/page71

side note: while going through I noticed that teknetic got RO'd. Howd that happen?
    Wow. That sucks. tek added a lot to the forum. Sigh.

On a Judge note... I thank the good Lord for making him a Yankee.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

many sports people in the media were down on judge for this year.. saying he won't repeat what he did if he hit 35 home runs that would be ok.. fools they all are the man had a injury for 6 weeks last year or his numbers would have been much better.. he is back to being first half judge of last year...

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Wow. That sucks. tek added a lot to the forum. Sigh.

On a Judge note... I thank the good Lord for making him a Yankee.
    Looks like his last post is what got him RO'd. Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    Looks like his last post is what got him RO'd. Shame.
    None of that was RO-worthy

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    None of that was RO-worthy
    I just went and looked. Not one but two respected posters were RO'd without cause. This is a serious abuse of power from the mods. And I say this as someone with a great respect for the difficulty of the job, a great appreciation for the time they put into it, and a belief that they are all genuine good-guys.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

It’s always been that way here, meanwhile terrible posters are never even chastised and allowed to clog every thread with their incoherent Twitter comment recapitulations.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    It’s always been that way here, meanwhile terrible posters are never even chastised and allowed to clog every thread with their incoherent Twitter comment recapitulations.
    I know who you’re referring to and it drives me bananas.

NYYF Legend

And tek and awy getting banned was a bad call - their positive contributions far outweighed the minor infractions they may have been guilty of.

NYYF Legend

I made a comment at the time around one of bannings. Got my post deleted and received a PM warning from a mod. This isn't the way a good forum should work.

I get being a moderator is a thankless volunteer job. You get a lot of crap slung your way. However, it's like volunteering for the Army and complaining about Al Qaeda shooting at you. However, unlike the Army, you can just quit at any time without any repercussions and someone else would gladly take your job.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Thread Information