• Under

58 89.23%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Re: 2018 Greg Bird Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    ALDS - .919 OPS
    ALCS - .964 OPS

He didn't just have moments, he excelled during the postseason. And without that HR against Andrew Miller, they could've been swept by the Indians.

A left-handed hitter turning around a Miller fastball at the time was extremely rare. That's more indicative of Bird's ability when HEALTHY. And it happened LAST year.

https://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.as...ion=1B&data=pi

Greg Bird hit .137 against fastballs last season. He was completely helpless off 95 + mph fastballs especially, IIRC. The fact that he hit .313 off changeups, and .286 off curveballs give credence to the fact that he had a slow bat last year. Whatever the reason, whether injury, or whatever, is not my point. All I'm saying is so far his bat looks quicker, and he is not getting beat by fastballs like he was last year.

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    https://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.as...ion=1B&data=pi

Greg Bird hit .137 against fastballs last season. He was completely helpless off 95 + mph fastballs especially, IIRC. The fact that he hit .313 off changeups, and .286 off curveballs give credence to the fact that he had a slow bat last year. Whatever the reason, whether injury, or whatever, is not my point. All I'm saying is so far his bat looks quicker, and he is not getting beat by fastballs like he was last year.
    Those numbers are skewed from the early part of the season when he was trying to play with the bad ankle. And it also took him some time to get his timing down in Aug/Sept after a long DL/rehab stint.

Really, my main problem in your original post was "He already looks more comfortable than he did at any point last year. Last season, I remember him not being able to hit the fastball."

I just find it weird how his postseason performance is so easily forgotten and dismissed. When healthy, he's a talented hitter. The same kind of talent he displayed in his rookie season of 2015. And the same skills he showed coming up through the minors. He has to stay on the field. And that's been his bugaboo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    Those numbers are skewed from the early part of the season when he was trying to play with the bad ankle. And it also took him some time to get his timing down in Aug/Sept after a long DL/rehab stint.

Really, my main problem in your original post was "He already looks more comfortable than he did at any point last year. Last season, I remember him not being able to hit the fastball."

I just find it weird how his postseason performance is so easily forgotten and dismissed. When healthy, he's a talented hitter. The same kind of talent he displayed in his rookie season of 2015. And the same skills he showed coming up through the minors. He has to stay on the field. And that's been his bugaboo.
    Fair enough. I don't have his post season fastball numbers, so I'll say he looks better this season (and healthier) than he did last regular season in terms of catching up to heaters.

He does have a sweet swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    He does have a sweet swing.

he hit the ball hard off verlander previous at bat time before the home run.. he fouled a ball down the right field line just foul...

NYYF Legend

He hit his first career triple, and it drove in Gardner.

Clap clap, clap-clap-clap ArodEra's Avatar

Very Tyler Austinish today.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Very Tyler Austinish today.
    Leadoff double in the ninth.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    And?

And nothing. I thought you were implying he'd done nothing at the plate today. Or, what were you getting at?

NYYF Legend

I've been meaning to post this since he returned, but keep forgetting - obviously his bat is his calling card, but I can't tell you how surprisingly awesome it has been to have a 1B back who moves around the bag like...a 1B.

His first game back he executed a fairly standard first baseman stretch, and my reaction was, "whoa!" It looked so foreign compared to what we have been getting from Walker/Austin. I hadn't even realized the extent to which they were deficient at the "basics" of the position until Bird came back and I saw him making regular, mundane plays.

And that's before getting to the more difficult stretches, tag/swipe plays.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

I don't like the Yankees giving up on him against lefties this early.

I don't think the Yankees are giving up on him against lefties. They know he's had success. They're just trying to give other players playing time.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    I don't think the Yankees are giving up on him against lefties. They know he's had success. They're just trying to give other players playing time.
    It's not worth giving up those at bats for Austin.

Greg Bird has a swing more similar to Roger Marisís than anyone Iíve seen since Maris played.

Just awful.

Terrible at bat.

How long before we hear heís going to see Dr. Amad?

I'm probably only here because Sanchez isn't in the lineup but roughly 1 ab in every 15 PA's resembles the player he's suppose to be/become. Get him out of the three hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    How long before we hear heís going to see Dr. Amad?
    Yup, pretty soon he's gonna admit he's been playing with foot pain. Meanwhile he's been automatic outs every day. Thanks Bird!

NYYF Legend

Has looked real bad. Put him lower in the order until he gets it together.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

And the suckatude continues.

Bench him.

Iím at the game. The crowd is not very happy with him.

NYYF Legend

I wouldn't bench him as I don't see any better options, but he shouldn't be hitting 3rd.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I wouldn't bench him as I don't see any better options, but he shouldn't be hitting 3rd.

let's face it bird at best is a 250 hitter.. but he can hit far worse.. he is awful at the plate can drury play first why not call him up give him a shot...

NYYF Legend

I'd be fine with platooning Drury with Bird and Didi. However, the Yankees refuse to.
    Calmer than you are

Thread Information