65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Over

7 10.77%
  • Under

58 89.23%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 ... LastLast

Re: 2018 Greg Bird Performance Thread

great bat for once and loses game with a blown play at first... hitting .200 really looks bad when you cant field either

NYYF Legend

Great signs at plate, a bomb and a good ol' "situational" SF, seems to be getting it together piece by piece, hope it continues.

Bad-fielding first baseman is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by danman1202 View Post
    great bat for once and loses game with a blown play at first... hitting .200 really looks bad when you cant field either
    Sounds a lot like another yankee that is on the DL right now

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    How is this guy not expendable? Totally usesless!
    Seriously? After the night he had at the plate?

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    Seriously? After the night he had at the plate?

They're looking at the last play not the 4 of the 5 runs we scored that he drove in. The runner got into his line of sight. Should he have had it? Yes but nobody is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post
    They're looking at the last play not the 4 of the 5 runs we scored that he drove in. The runner got into his line of sight. Should he have had it? Yes but nobody is perfect.
    I can understand calling him out on making the play at first. Hell, I believe I was the first one to do so in the GT; however, to call him useless after the night he had at the plate is ridiculous. Tonight could be a huge building block for Bird. Let's hope he takes it and runs with it. Unlike a lot here, I have not given up on Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    I can understand calling him out on making the play at first. Hell, I believe I was the first one to do so in the GT; however, to call him useless after the night he had at the plate is ridiculous. Tonight could be a huge building block for Bird. Let's hope he takes it and runs with it. Unlike a lot here, I have not given up on Bird.
    He hit a room service fastball that broke over the middle of the plate. I should probably commend him for not swinging through it this time. It was terrible pitch that was begging to be hit. Wait, didn't someone say the same thing after his two homers against Boston? His slashline since is .200/.355/.200/.555. He is walking a bit which is nice but not enough to make him indispensible.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    He hit a room service fastball that broke over the middle of the plate. I should probably commend him for not swinging through it this time. It was terrible pitch that was begging to be hit.
    Oh good god. Hitting bad pitches is what hitting is all about. So now the pitches have to be wicked for a hit to be a good hit? Ever see the "Ted Williams Strike Zone" that Ted designed himself for the Hall of Fame? He ranked himself a .230 hitter on strikes low and away. And that was Ted Williams. Good pitches don't get hit much.

On a night when he contributed a lot offensively and screwed the pooch on two defensive plays, focusing on knocking his hitting tonight seems ...

And just to address the part of your post I didn't quote, no, he's not indispensible. But don't knock him for hitting a "room service fastball," that's just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Oh good god. Hitting bad pitches is what hitting is all about. So now the pitches have to be wicked for a hit to be a good hit? Ever see the "Ted Williams Strike Zone" that Ted designed himself for the Hall of Fame? He ranked himself a .230 hitter on strikes low and away. And that was Ted Williams. Good pitches don't get hit much.

On a night when he contributed a lot offensively and screwed the pooch on two defensive plays, focusing on knocking his hitting tonight seems ...
    Yeah, it's more about me venting after another terrible loss to a hapless Orioles team. 30 games under .500. Doesn't he remind you of Kevin Maas a little though? If he doesn't start hitting the ball the other way or the league doesn't abolish the shift, I'm just not seeing how he will ever be anything more than a platoon player.

Kind of ironic that Bird has, by his standards, a breakout game and then we otherwise crap the bed and lose.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Oh good god. Hitting bad pitches is what hitting is all about.
    Why do I think that Yogi Berra would have been vilified on this forum if it was active back then?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Great signs at plate, a bomb and a good ol' "situational" SF, seems to be getting it together piece by piece, hope it continues.
    I am generally not an advanced metric individual, since I am approaching 64 and don't have the time to spend learning and researching all these different metrics.

However, there was a graphic on the pregame show about Bird that may have me rethinking that logic.

From the graphic - the first number is the first 26 games this season and the second number is the last 11 games:

Line Drive %: 13.8/26.1
    Ground Ball %: 44.8/17.4
    Fly Ball %: 41.4/56.5

For his first 26 games, Bird had a .186/.293/.384/.677 slash line. For his last 11 games, he has generated a .257/.386/.514/.901 slash line, indicating to me that the numbers above are SIGNIFICANT.

This last 11 game slash line is very similar to his second half last year numbers (.253/.316/.575/.891), which exclude the April numbers when he was fighting the ankle. They are also very similar to his 2015 numbers when he first came up (.261/.343/.529/.871).

I withdraw my belief that he should be sent down - earlier, I questioned if he was brought back from his rehab assignment too soon. Given that he is facing far better pitching in the majors, it appears that he has finally completed his "spring training" at the ML level.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I am generally not an advanced metric individual, since I am approaching 64 and don't have the time to spend learning and researching all these different metrics.

However, there was a graphic on the pregame show about Bird that may have me rethinking that logic.

From the graphic - the first number is the first 26 games this season and the second number is the last 11 games:

Line Drive %: 13.8/26.1
    Ground Ball %: 44.8/17.4
    Fly Ball %: 41.4/56.5

For his first 26 games, Bird had a .186/.293/.384/.677 slash line. For his last 11 games, he has generated a .257/.386/.514/.901 slash line, indicating to me that the numbers above are SIGNIFICANT.

This last 11 game slash line is very similar to his second half last year numbers (.253/.316/.575/.891), which exclude the April numbers when he was fighting the ankle. They are also very similar to his 2015 numbers when he first came up (.261/.343/.529/.871).

I withdraw my belief that he should be sent down - earlier, I questioned if he was brought back from his rehab assignment too soon. Given that he is facing far better pitching in the majors, it appears that he has finally completed his "spring training" at the ML level.
    If they were getting halfway competant first base play, I truly believe that they would have left Bird down to marinate a little longer. He has played little baseball the last 2+ years. The horrible play of Austin and Walker kinda forced their hand to rush Bird. Probably should have stayed down til after the AS break. Hindsight and all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    This Administration reminds me of Reservoir Dogs...Evil white guys in suits, few roles for women and Mr. Orange lies through the whole thing.

11 Pitch AB then a grand slam in the next AB. Really need him to keep it up.
    Let's Go Yankees!

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

109 wRC+

Looks like we need a new whipping boy.

If he hits one every game, heíll get to 40 after all.

Congrates to young Mr. Bird! He is at 150 AB's now and he should begin to get some consistency brewing now. I think the road games could help him right now, when a Yankee struggles at home they have an easier time getting back on task on the road.

He is easily the Yankees best defensive first baseman and does a great job with scoops and stretches! The ball that got by the other night was not an automatic pick.

Hopefully the Indians series gets him moving in the right direction, he is a Yankee kid!!!

Need to see more consistent play from him going forward now. We have seen the hot streak followed by mediocrity, it is time to show he can do this over extended periods of time.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rhod0406 View Post
    Need to see more consistent play from him going forward now. We have seen the hot streak followed by mediocrity, it is time to show he can do this over extended periods of time.
    He has not played enough games when healthy to have a "hot streak" followed by mediocrity.

Last year (24G/98PA), he raised his BA by 90 points and his OPS by 260 points after returning from injury.

When he first arrived in 2015 his numbers in September (game 17 on), he raised is BA 24 points and his OPS 185 points.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    109 wRC+

Looks like we need a new whipping boy.
    Didi.

NYYF Legend

He just needs to do this for a few more months and not re-injure himself.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

That double was probably the hardest ball Iíve seen him hit that wasnít a homerun
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Seems to have twisted his ankle on the sac fly, hopefully he is not hurt.

https://www.mlb.com/video/c-2261742183
    Let's Go Yankees!

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    Didi.
    Lol....welp we need a new one again.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    He just needs to do this for a few more months and not re-injure himself.
    Even his outs are good ABs. He battles very well and is taking some tough pitches.

Just don't get injured. Seems to put him back at square 1.

Thread Information