+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: Waiting for Gleyber: The Torres Watch

Oh
    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    That's like 100PA for Ronald Torreyes, no thanks.
    I really don't get the hate for Toe

Yes, he doesn't take walks or work the count, but when pitchers are basically grooving the first few pitches, everyone would be bitching if he was taking two strikes.

Yes, he is not a power hitter, but not every player is Giancarlo Stanton.

He proved last year that he is a serviceable replacement.

If he is beaten out in ST, great - but getting 100 AB from him is not going to kill this team.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Honestly, I can't believe the lack of 'Baewatch' votes. Shi* was brilliant.

-1 from everyone.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Oh

I really don't get the hate for Toe

Yes, he doesn't take walks or work the count, but when pitchers are basically grooving the first few pitches, everyone would be bitching if he was taking two strikes.

Yes, he is not a power hitter, but not every player is Giancarlo Stanton.

He proved last year that he is a serviceable replacement.

If he is beaten out in ST, great - but getting 100 AB from him is not going to kill this team.
    agreed. he's a player with a tolerable floor and still some room for growth
    “Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra

Torreyes had a 0.6 WAR over 336 PAs. That's pretty bad. Wade would need a disastrous ST to lose a spot to a non-prospect.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    That's like 100PA for Ronald Torreyes, no thanks.
    aka 100ab
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    Torreyes had a 0.6 WAR over 336 PAs. That's pretty bad. Wade would need a disastrous ST to lose a spot to a non-prospect.
    And he was disastrous last year!

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post

Torreyes is only 24 years old and he looks like he is 38.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    And he was disastrous last year!
    Good thing we didn't judge Judge based off of his first cup of tea in the majors

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    Good thing we didn't judge Judge based off of his first cup of tea in the majors
    I get what you are saying, and I want Wade to be a long term piece on this club, I think he had Zobrist upside, however he was brutal last year and Torreyes went out there and played adequately.

I get what you are saying, and I want Wade to be a long term piece on this club, I think he had Zobrist upside, however he was brutal last year and Torreyes went out there and played adequately.
    Just because Torreyes hit .294 doesn't mean he played "adequately." He's a fun personality, but being a slap hitting singles hitter isn't very valuable in today's game anymore.

And yes, Wade was brutal in his limited time last year. But he offers way more potential than Torreyes does.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    Just because Torreyes hit .294 doesn't mean he played "adequately." He's a fun personality, but being a slap hitting singles hitter isn't very valuable in today's game anymore.

And yes, Wade was brutal in his limited time last year. But he offers way more potential than Torreyes does.
    Obviously he has more potential, I just said I think he could have Zobrist upside. But he has to earn his at bats, he didn’t earn anything with his performance with the big club last year.

When you have a lineup 1-7 that includes.

Gardner
    Judge
    Bird
    Stanton
    Sanchez
    Didi
    Hicks
    Torres/Andujar (one will be in the majors whether at 2b or 3B)

You can afford to have one "weak" or "glove only" bat in the lineup.

Obviously he has more potential, I just said I think he could have Zobrist upside. But he has to earn his at bats, he didn’t earn anything with his performance with the big club last year.
    I doubt anybody would argue with your point, but this is a different year with a new manager. This could be a fresh start to his MLB career so let's see if he can take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    Torreyes is only 24 years old and he looks like he is 38.
    Torreyes is a very handsome man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post

Gardner
    Judge
    Bird
    Stanton
    Sanchez
    Didi
    Hicks

People seem to be ok with a veteran weak bat but concerned about a great ( Torres ) or good ( Miggy ) prospect who might, might have teething problems to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    People seem to be ok with a veteran weak bat but concerned about a great ( Torres ) or good ( Miggy ) prospect who might, might have teething problems to begin with.
    I’m not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    a rate of 1 war per season for a backup middle infielder is just fine. Just looking at 2Bmen, he was more productive than Ben Zobrist and just below Jason Kipnis in 2017. On a rate basis, he was just about as productive as Solarte, who is better-regarded now that he's not here. A middle infielder who's much better than that is a starter.
    “Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra

I have no problem going into the season with the team we have right now if andujar and Torres are the 2B and 3B respectively, zero. Rotation if needed could be upgraded during the summer, and there's a reason Torres and Andujar are highly touted prospects, they can play.

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    a rate of 1 war per season for a backup middle infielder is just fine. Just looking at 2Bmen, he was more productive than Ben Zobrist and just below Jason Kipnis in 2017. On a rate basis, he was just about as productive as Solarte, who is better-regarded now that he's not here. A middle infielder who's much better than that is a starter.
    Start him at 2B and put him in the #9 hole against LHP on the road, super productive. Kidding aside, he actually hit LHP pitching pretty well and had a couple of really nice months. However, under no circumstances should he ever get 300+ PA's again.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post

Gardner
    Judge
    Bird
    Stanton
    Sanchez
    Didi
    Hicks

I disagree. It's been shown that adding a good hitter to a good-hitting lineup actually increases expected run value more than adding a good hitter to a mediocre lineup. If anything, we should be doubling down on the lineup.
    On the other hand, you have different fingers.

my blog: http://nybaseballoffice.blogspot.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Stache Fan View Post
    I disagree. It's been shown that adding a good hitter to a good-hitting lineup actually increases expected run value more than adding a good hitter to a mediocre lineup. If anything, we should be doubling down on the lineup.
    If you think about it, this makes a lot of sense. If there are, say, four below average hitters in a lineup, a higher proportion of outs will be spread around those four. Taking away one, means spread among three. If you have one weak hitter, he will get an even larger number of outs than he did with three others. Replace him, and the other side has a very difficult time getting outs. Less outs, more runs. That's how it works.

And people never say he's a "glove only". They say, "He's an automatic out. Get rid of him."
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

My hope is that Cashman closes the check book for the off-season and goes forth with the youth movement, both positionally and pitching wise.

With regards to 2B & 3B, I have no issue with Miggy & Gleyber starting the season with the big team or, for that matter, the Yankees using Wade at one of those spots while the calendar turns on either player.

The interesting question to me is could Estrada force his name into the conversation as well - if he does, then we have three young players for two spots. One of them will have to stay down in the minors to play every day (I would not want either Gleyber or Thario as the utility IFer at this stage of their development).

On the pitching size, I feel we have enough depth right now in young arms to take a chance here as well - I would like to see what these young arms can do. We have five starters now - the youth in starting pitching are going to be 6+ in the rotation.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Stache Fan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    If you think about it, this makes a lot of sense. If there are, say, four below average hitters in a lineup, a higher proportion of outs will be spread around those four. Taking away one, means spread among three. If you have one weak hitter, he will get an even larger number of outs than he did with three others. Replace him, and the other side has a very difficult time getting outs. Less outs, more runs. That's how it works.

And people never say he's a "glove only". They say, "He's an automatic out. Get rid of him."
    I would agree if we were talking about a regular bat - but in Torreyes, we are not.

Let's assume we can sign Eduardo Nunez - I have heard the number 3 years/$21M thrown around for him. If we sign him, he blocks one of the young IFers.

Now if we could get someone on a $3M one year contract that can be jettisoned (a la Chris Carter), then I would be OK.

NYYF Legend

I have a feeling that we'll see a Torreyes/Wade platoon at 2B for the month of April then they'll call up Gleyber
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    I have a feeling that we'll see a Torreyes/Wade platoon at 2B for the month of April then they'll call up Gleyber
    As much I defend Torreyes, I would rather see Wade given the opportunity to play everyday - granted, as a LHH, he would probably get the majority of starts, but I want to see him given the opportunity and see how he responds.

We know what we have with Toe - a solid, if unflashy, utility infielder. Wade can possibly be even more - he was groomed to be the Yankees' version of Ben Zobrist. Let him play regularly enough to see if he can translate his bat to ML pitching. If yes - versatility abounds. If not, you can send him down when Gleyber rises to keep working on his grooming.

Thread Information