+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: 2018 Countdown to Pitchers and Catchers

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjeep View Post
    I know, just having some fun. Back in the distant day I was a Giants and Willie Mays fan. Juan Marichal was my Idol alone with Mays. I worshipped those players. I became a Yankees fan during the losing seasons back in the late 60's.

BTW - The Yankees crushed me in the 1962 WS. I was depressed for days!
    The 1962 season was my first vivid memory for me as a Yankee fan. I do remember some of the 1961 season like the WS and the homerun contest between the M&M boys, but 1962 is the one where I attended my first game in Yankee Stadium so that's probably why that season stands out more to me memory-wise.

As to your hero's idols, mine was Bob Gibson. I actually rooted for him to beat the Yankees in 1964. As a kid, I can get away with it, plus, I was the only Yankee fan in my family as the rest of them were either Dodgers or Met fans. One more thing, before free agency you could attach yourself to a particular player and know he'll be on the team for a long time unless he was traded. I couldn't stand the Dodgers as they broke my heart in 1963 and loved it when the Orioles swept them in 1966. I'll never forget Willie Davis committing three errors in the same inning during Koufax's last game.
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    As to your hero's idols, mine was Bob Gibson.
    I fell in love with Bob Gibson in 1967 & 1968 (along with Lou Brock) - years when pitchers just dominated the game. Gibson was fearless and oozing with confidence, even on a black & white TV screen. I still remember his ERA of 1.12 in one of those years, probably with about 300 IP.

I remember taking a white T-Shirt and drawing a Cardinals logo on it and wearing it so much it was no longer white - it was their road jersey! :-)
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

The 1962 season was my first vivid memory for me as a Yankee fan. I do remember some of the 1961 season like the WS and the homerun contest between the M&M boys, but 1962 is the one where I attended my first game in Yankee Stadium so that's probably why that season stands out more to me memory-wise.

As to your hero's idols, mine was Bob Gibson. I actually rooted for him to beat the Yankees in 1964. As a kid, I can get away with it, plus, I was the only Yankee fan in my family as the rest of them were either Dodgers or Met fans. One more thing, before free agency you could attach yourself to a particular player and know he'll be on the team for a long time unless he was traded. I couldn't stand the Dodgers as they broke my heart in 1963 and loved it when the Orioles swept them in 1966. I'll never forget Willie Davis committing three errors in the same inning during Koufax's last game.
    Free Agency has definitely changed the game. If your a Yankee fan, your sports life is good. If your a Mets fan, well, lets leave it at that. This goes right down the line for all teams. Instead of ruining the game with pitching clocks and other bull................ rules, they should reduce the number of teams. Get rid of the poor teams like Jeters and we will see a much higher level of talent and competition. Speeding up the game so it looks like a Mack Sennett Keystone Cops movie is ridiculous. They are panicking.

BTW - Let the Umpires make the calls again! I loved watching Casey kick dirt at them.
    People don't start playing ball at your age, they retire!

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I fell in love with Bob Gibson in 1967 & 1968 (along with Lou Brock) - years when pitchers just dominated the game. Gibson was fearless and oozing with confidence, even on a black & white TV screen. I still remember his ERA of 1.12 in one of those years, probably with about 300 IP.

I remember taking a white T-Shirt and drawing a Cardinals logo on it and wearing it so much it was no longer white - it was their road jersey! :-)
    Today, you can see pitchers looking into the dugout around the 5th or 6th inning! They have the look of, get me out of here! This is my contract year and my ERA might go up!

24 Days till Spring!

baseball[1].jpg

I couldn't resist!

NYYF Legend

^ A classic. Still, we need a Yankee here ...

NYYF Legend

Attachment 23270

I couldn't resist!
    Resist
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Resist

From now on nothing but my beloved Yankees!

NYYF Legend

My personal countdown is 62 days. That's when I land in Tampa International

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Anybody have the date of the first televised ST game?
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Cy Young

1964. He won game 7 against Mel. Thanks for the memory. I actually google that series and re read it. I loved "Mick" but to this day if there was a pitcher I want on the mound it was Bob Gibson. (Even though I was always Yankee fan I had a Willie Mays 4 finger glove in little league) Thanks Again for the memory lane trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    My personal countdown is 62 days. That's when I land in Tampa International

Andy
    Need someone to carry the bags?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Anybody have the date of the first televised ST game?
    February 23, vs Tigers! 1:05 PM on YES.

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/schedule/2018-02/list

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post

On the calendar.
    Let the kids play.

Guess who ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    Guess who ...

NYYF Legend

He's like Zelig (pardon the Woody Allen reference)!

That's Cano with the #24, though ...

NYYF Legend

23 Days to go!

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    1964. He won game 7 against Mel. Thanks for the memory. I actually google that series and re read it. I loved "Mick" but to this day if there was a pitcher I want on the mound it was Bob Gibson. (Even though I was always Yankee fan I had a Willie Mays 4 finger glove in little league) Thanks Again for the memory lane trip.
    If you loved "Mick" then 1964 Game 3

"In the bottom of the ninth, Mickey Mantle reached deep for one of the last ounces of Yankees magic. With the game tied at one, Mantle, the leadoff hitter, told on-deck hitter Elston Howard to go back to the clubhouse because he was going to hit a home run.[13] Mantle swung at the first pitch from Cardinal pitcher Barney Schultz, a knuckleball that failed to move,[11] and hit it into the right field stands to win the game for the Yankees. Schultz had been a mainstay of the Cardinals' stretch run and Yankee scouting reports had advised his knuckler was most vulnerable on the first pitch when he threw harder than usual to try for a strike. Mantle's home run (his sixteenth Series home run) broke Babe Ruth's record for most home runs hit in World Series play."

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeSTH View Post
    If you loved "Mick" then 1964 Game 3

"In the bottom of the ninth, Mickey Mantle reached deep for one of the last ounces of Yankees magic. With the game tied at one, Mantle, the leadoff hitter, told on-deck hitter Elston Howard to go back to the clubhouse because he was going to hit a home run.[13] Mantle swung at the first pitch from Cardinal pitcher Barney Schultz, a knuckleball that failed to move,[11] and hit it into the right field stands to win the game for the Yankees. Schultz had been a mainstay of the Cardinals' stretch run and Yankee scouting reports had advised his knuckler was most vulnerable on the first pitch when he threw harder than usual to try for a strike. Mantle's home run (his sixteenth Series home run) broke Babe Ruth's record for most home runs hit in World Series play."
    Did he do a Babe Ruth and point!

NYYF Legend

Need someone to carry the bags?

Sure, any time

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Sure, any time

Andy
    Looking at that old photo of Yogi, I watched an episode of Sargent Bilko a while back and a young Yogi, Whitey Ford, and Phil Rizzuto were on as themselves looking at a young prospect played by a very young Dick Van Dyke! Talk about history and bringing back memories!

Thread Information