+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF MVP

Tampa spring training

Im
    Looking for a hotel to stay while at the games in Tampa
    Any suggestions?

Re: Tampa spring training

I don't know what your price range might be, but I'd recommend either the Westshore or Rocky Point area. Westshore has more restaurants (mostly chains) and stuff to keep you occupied when not at games. Rocky Point puts you a little closer towards the beaches.

Westshore Area Hotels
    Renaissance Tampa International Plaza
    Intercontinental Tampa
    Tampa Marriott Westshore
    Hyatt Place Tampa Airport

Rocky Point Area Hotels
    The Westin Tampa Bay
    Sailport Waterfront Suites
    DoubleTree Suites By Hilton Tampa Bay
    Hampton Inn Tampa Rocky Point
    Holiday Inn Express and Suites Tampa/Rocky Point

- Rick

NYYF Legend

I too am planning a trip to Spring Training for the first time. Anyone have some general tips? I plan on seeing Yankees in Dunedin and Tampa
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

How many spring training threads are the moderators going to allow?

Look I am not ordinately one who questions where a thread belongs. But enough.\ is enough. If you are a regular here you will see that there are least six spring training threads here. Use one of them please There is absolutely no need to start another
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Keebler884 View Post
    I don't know what your price range might be, but I'd recommend either the Westshore or Rocky Point area. Westshore has more restaurants (mostly chains) and stuff to keep you occupied when not at games. Rocky Point puts you a little closer towards the beaches.
    My own experience is that the Rocky Point area tends to attract more of a party crowd, and March is very much Spring Break month. Proceed with caution if you like to sleep at night.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    My own experience is that the Rocky Point area tends to attract more of a party crowd, and March is very much Spring Break month. Proceed with caution if you like to sleep at night.
    Yes, what Newman says is true. As Rocky Point is very close to a beach area, and some beach bars, it can be more rowdy than the WestShore area. I believe this has been cut down (slightly) since they rebranded (Hulk) Hogan's Beach Club and stopped the large concerts they had going on.

-Rick

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    I too am planning a trip to Spring Training for the first time. Anyone have some general tips? I plan on seeing Yankees in Dunedin and Tampa
    Well the issue with asking for "general tips" is I don't know what you are asking for. Good hotels? Restaurants? Stuff to do when not watching baseball?

Junk off the top of my head:

Don't eat at the shore -- tourist traps with bad food and jerky clientele. Eat inland. Ask the desk clerks where the locals eat. This is true anywhere IMO.

Get to Dunedin early. I'm told the parking situation has gotten better there but it was bad when I went there some years ago. In Tampa you'll be parking at Raymond James Stadium, $10 and taking a catwalk over Dale Mabry Boulevard to Steinbrenner Field, pretty easy.

When not at the game, dolphin-watching cruises are good but be careful about who you go out with. If they "guarantee" dolphin sightings they may be "chumming" which is illegal. Clearwater Marine Aquarium runs a dolphin boat every day at 1:30 p.m., no "guarantee" but they're ethical and haven't failed us yet as far as sightings.

Ybor City is the "bohemian" center of Tampa and offers several good restaurants. I would probably avoid St. Petersburg for the most part, but on a rainy day the Salvador Dali Museum is worth a visit.

I don't pursue autographs but I have heard Steinbrenner Field is NOT autograph-friendly. There is a practice field adjacent to "The Boss" where you may run into someone if you show up early.

Just spitballing here. Don't know what you're looking for as far as "tips."

Yes, what Newman says is true. As Rocky Point is very close to a beach area, and some beach bars, it can be more rowdy than the WestShore area. I believe this has been cut down (slightly) since they rebranded (Hulk) Hogan's Beach Club and stopped the large concerts they had going on.

-Rick
    Went there in May one year and the Bahama Breeze restaurant/bar spewed forth many drunks who made sleep difficult. Made the lady in my life emotionally unhappy which is never a good scene, eventually had to complain to management about the next-door neighbors. Will never stay in Rocky Point again. Much prefer Westshore and have had some good luck with the Sheraton in East Tampa.

NYYF Legend

Well the issue with asking for "general tips" is I don't know what you are asking for. Good hotels? Restaurants? Stuff to do when not watching baseball?

Junk off the top of my head:

Don't eat at the shore -- tourist traps with bad food and jerky clientele. Eat inland. Ask the desk clerks where the locals eat. This is true anywhere IMO.

Get to Dunedin early. I'm told the parking situation has gotten better there but it was bad when I went there some years ago. In Tampa you'll be parking at Raymond James Stadium, $10 and taking a catwalk over Dale Mabry Boulevard to Steinbrenner Field, pretty easy.

When not at the game, dolphin-watching cruises are good but be careful about who you go out with. If they "guarantee" dolphin sightings they may be "chumming" which is illegal. Clearwater Marine Aquarium runs a dolphin boat every day at 1:30 p.m., no "guarantee" but they're ethical and haven't failed us yet as far as sightings.

Ybor City is the "bohemian" center of Tampa and offers several good restaurants. I would probably avoid St. Petersburg for the most part, but on a rainy day the Salvador Dali Museum is worth a visit.

I don't pursue autographs but I have heard Steinbrenner Field is NOT autograph-friendly. There is a practice field adjacent to "The Boss" where you may run into someone if you show up early.

Just spitballing here. Don't know what you're looking for as far as "tips."

Went there in May one year and the Bahama Breeze restaurant/bar spewed forth many drunks who made sleep difficult. Made the lady in my life emotionally unhappy which is never a good scene, eventually had to complain to management about the next-door neighbors. Will never stay in Rocky Point again. Much prefer Westshore and have had some good luck with the Sheraton in East Tampa.
    Yea, I mean generally these sorts of things....was basically looking for good tips when attending games, hotels, and travel to other ST facilities
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Don't know if anyone saw this, but Steinbrenner Field announced today they'd now be opening gates three hours before game time to allow fans to watch batting practice.

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    Yea, I mean generally these sorts of things....was basically looking for good tips when attending games, hotels, and travel to other ST facilities
    At the Blue Jays game you may want to consider parking in Downtown Dunedin. Nice little walkable area, with plenty of restaurants. Its less than a mile from the stadium.

-Rick

Forum Regular

I have never had the chance to go to a ST game, so i'm hoping to get some advice.

we will be in the gulf coast area saturday and sunday feb 24/25. Unfortunately the yanks are away, but we got tickets to see them play at the phillies on sunday.

sooo...1) does anything happen at the tampa complex worth seeing on the weekend of the yankees aren't playing there (they are away on saturday as well at the pirates)? I would assume not, but I could perhaps swing by if there were

2) any tips for seeing an away ST game to maximize my chance of seeing players (as in talking with them, autographs, etc)...when to arrive, or anything?

sorry to sound like a noob, but we're pretty excited by the chance to get to maybe get close to actual players on the yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by millervt View Post
    I have never had the chance to go to a ST game, so i'm hoping to get some advice.

we will be in the gulf coast area saturday and sunday feb 24/25. Unfortunately the yanks are away, but we got tickets to see them play at the phillies on sunday.

sooo...1) does anything happen at the tampa complex worth seeing on the weekend of the yankees aren't playing there (they are away on saturday as well at the pirates)? I would assume not, but I could perhaps swing by if there were

2) any tips for seeing an away ST game to maximize my chance of seeing players (as in talking with them, autographs, etc)...when to arrive, or anything?

sorry to sound like a noob, but we're pretty excited by the chance to get to maybe get close to actual players on the yankees.
    I haven't been over to The Boss when they team was playing away, but it's possible the non-travel guys are there working out. If so, that's a good opportunity to interact with them.

NYYF Legend

I'm not much of an autograph-chaser but on any road ST game I'd give the advice to get there early, if only for the sake of parking. Some of the facilities they visit don't really have adequate parking to handle the kind of crowds the Yankees draw, and I'd count Clearwater in that group. Arrive too late and you may end up a mile away paying to get into some jammed strip mall parking lot and driving around it scrounging for a space.

If memory serves, the Yankee bus unloads/loads down the 1st base/RF side of Clearwater's stadium, so that's where you'd go if you wanted to try to get them outside the park. Inside, I can't help you, like I say, I don't hunt autographs.

One aside: The experience inside that park (very attractive ballpark, btw) has been a bit odd for me. The Phillies fans have surprisingly, for the most part, been much nicer/more amicable than you expect Philadelphia fans to be. Maybe they get it that it's just a spring training game. They should pass that on to the staff. I've dealt with only one rude/unfriendly staff in Florida, and Clearwater is it.

Forum Regular

i'm bringing my 13 year old daughter who is a huge fan of didi, so that's really the autograph we're hoping to get, but that's a good idea to get there early and wait near where we expect the bus to show. any idea what time in advance of an away game they'd get there?

i'm bringing my 13 year old daughter who is a huge fan of didi, so that's really the autograph we're hoping to get, but that's a good idea to get there early and wait near where we expect the bus to show. any idea what time in advance of an away game they'd get there?
    Keep in mind that most of the "stars" don't typically go to the away games.

I'm not much of an autograph-chaser but on any road ST game I'd give the advice to get there early, if only for the sake of parking. Some of the facilities they visit don't really have adequate parking to handle the kind of crowds the Yankees draw, and I'd count Clearwater in that group. Arrive too late and you may end up a mile away paying to get into some jammed strip mall parking lot and driving around it scrounging for a space.

If memory serves, the Yankee bus unloads/loads down the 1st base/RF side of Clearwater's stadium, so that's where you'd go if you wanted to try to get them outside the park. Inside, I can't help you, like I say, I don't hunt autographs.

One aside: The experience inside that park (very attractive ballpark, btw) has been a bit odd for me. The Phillies fans have surprisingly, for the most part, been much nicer/more amicable than you expect Philadelphia fans to be. Maybe they get it that it's just a spring training game. They should pass that on to the staff. I've dealt with only one rude/unfriendly staff in Florida, and Clearwater is it.
    I had the same problem with the staff at Spectrum Field - very gruff.

NYYF Legend

I don't, sorry. I've seen them leave but never was there early enough to see them come in. The general rule for a team to be "at the workplace" is 3 hours before game time, so that would be my best guess as to when the bus would pull in, but that's a guess.

Keebler brings up a good point about road games in ST. I think the "gentlemen's agreement" is to send 3 "regulars" to road games which would give you a 1-in-3 shot of seeing Didi at this game. Can you make the Bradenton game? It's maybe an hour from Steinbrenner Field to McKechnie Field if traffic is OK. That ups your odds to 2-in-3 as I doubt they'll duplicate any of the "road crew" on back-to-back days. I suppose you could also try heading over to Steinbrenner Field in the morning of these games and see if he's working out there, ask someone if he's in the "road crew." (Steinbrenner Field to Spectrum Field is really short hop, 20-30 minutes across the Route 60 causeway.)

I had the same problem with the staff at Spectrum Field - very gruff.
    Even the mascot is a jerk (not the Phillie Phanatic, whatever their A-ball mascot is who gets to hang around.). We've since put that park on the "boycott" list.

NYYF Legend

I went to ST for the first time last year and loved it so much that I'm going back this year. I'll be there from 3/3-3/5. Short trip, but I'm sure it'll still be great.

For you spring training regulars I have a few questions. I'm attending two games with the family, 2/23 at Steinbrenner Field vs the Tigers and 2/24 at LECOM Park, Bradenton vs the Pirates. We're staying at the Hilton Westshore. I bought the tickets through Vivid Seats. I received the Pirates tickets pronto. The Tigers tickets I'm still waiting on. I'm worried the Tigers tickets won't get to my house before we leave for Florida on 2/20. I asked Vivid Seats about this and was told they can't push up my 2/19 mail by date because the seller sets the date based on when he expects to receive the tickets. They offered to ship my tickets to our hotel in Florida which I am not thrilled about. So when does the seller receive his Yankees tickets. I find it hard to believe that the seller doesn't have the tickets in hand by now.

How early should we get to the games to get parking. We would like to go to the practices on 2/21 and 2/22. When do the practices begin and end. Do we just go in and hang out in the stands. Is there a good time to try and get autographs.

As far as touristy things any recommendations. I was thinking of a day at the beach in Clearwater. Any good local spots to eat around Tampa especially for steak.

Thanks for the help. This is my first time attending spring training so I would like to avoid any unpleasant surprises if I can.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    For you spring training regulars I have a few questions. I'm attending two games with the family, 2/23 at Steinbrenner Field vs the Tigers and 2/24 at LECOM Park, Bradenton vs the Pirates. We're staying at the Hilton Westshore. I bought the tickets through Vivid Seats. I received the Pirates tickets pronto. The Tigers tickets I'm still waiting on. I'm worried the Tigers tickets won't get to my house before we leave for Florida on 2/20. I asked Vivid Seats about this and was told they can't push up my 2/19 mail by date because the seller sets the date based on when he expects to receive the tickets. They offered to ship my tickets to our hotel in Florida which I am not thrilled about. So when does the seller receive his Yankees tickets. I find it hard to believe that the seller doesn't have the tickets in hand by now.

How early should we get to the games to get parking. We would like to go to the practices on 2/21 and 2/22. When do the practices begin and end. Do we just go in and hang out in the stands. Is there a good time to try and get autographs.

As far as touristy things any recommendations. I was thinking of a day at the beach in Clearwater. Any good local spots to eat around Tampa especially for steak.

Thanks for the help. This is my first time attending spring training so I would like to avoid any unpleasant surprises if I can.

I have had terrible experiences with Vivid. I will never use them again

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Conversations of steak in Tampa usually begin and end with Berns (https://bernssteakhouse.com/), rated as one of the top places in the country. Some other options for steak in the general WestShore area are Ruth's Chris (http://www.ruthschris.com/), Shula's (https://www.shulas.com/) and Charley's (https://www.charleyssteakhouse.com/).

Outside of steakhouses, some of the standard other favorites would be the Columbia (http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/), and Datz (http://www.datztampa.com/). Highly rated "new kids on the block" are Edison (http://www.edison-tampa.com/), Ulele (http://www.ulele.com/), and Ava (http://www.avatampa.com/ - owned by Joe Maddon).

If I remember correctly, begin taking the field late-morning (11:00ish) on workout days, but get there much earlier. The lot attached to Steinbrenner Field fills up pretty quickly. Most people wind up parking next door at Hillsborough Community College, although I am not sure how strict HCC is about non-student cars being there. The workouts typically last a few hours, so you'd be out by mid-to-late afternoon. There are several fields around the Steinbrenner complex, so you'll most likely spend your time bouncing back and forth between them, depending on who or what you want to see.

For touristy things to do, Clearwater Beach (http://www.sunsetsatpier60.com/) is a decent choice. Another beach idea could be Fort De Soto (http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_Ft_DeSoto.htm). Other ideas could be the Florida Aquarium (http://www.flaquarium.org/), Clearwater Marine Aquarium (https://www.seewinter.com/), Lowry Park Zoo (http://www.lowryparkzoo.org/), and of course Busch Gardens (https://buschgardens.com/). If art museums is your thing, you might want to check outthe Dali (http://thedali.org/). Or, if you're just looking to spend a day out and about in an interesting small town, you can check out Tarpon Springs (https://spongedocks.net/).

If you do go down into Clearwater Beach on 2/23rd, that is the night Downtown Clearwater does it's Blast Friday (https://www.rutheckerdhall.com/reh-r...day-clearwater) street party, which either could be of interest, or disrupt the way down to the beach.

Hope these ideas help...

- Rick
    Last edited by Keebler884; 02-09-18 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention Blast Friday

NYYF Legend

Someone here last year (maybe HelloNewman?) recommended Lenny's for breakfast - it was excellent. Place gets absolutely mobbed, so prepare to wait a little.

NYYF Legend

Keebler covered most of the bases for you (I second him on Berns, but be advised: bring money lol). Since you are going down to Bradenton let me throw in a few tourist options down there:

The Ringling. In Sarasota, estate of circus magnate John Ringling of Ringling Brothers Circus. Don't go there on game day as it's a full-day visit, but if you are down there on an off day it is awesome. Circus Museum (has a scale miniature of a 1920s-era circus that will knock your socks off), a top-notch art gallery, the Ringling mansion and breathtaking views of Sarasota Bay all in one estate.

Mixon Fruit Farm. In Bradenton, you can do this on game day, offers a tram tour of a working orange grove, also has a small exotic animal rescue facility that's part of tram tour, $10. Big "country store" up front with various orange products and fudge, wine, etc. 10-minute drive from ballpark. Just up the street from Pirates training facility (unlike Yankees, with Pirates the "game venue" is not contiguous to the training facility) if you'd like to watch the Pirates work out a bit.

Sarasota Classic Car Museum -- Name is self-explanatory. If classic cars are your thing, it's worth a visit. (St Petersburg/Largo has a smaller version as well).

If you're in Sarasota for breakfast, try The Breakfast House on Fruitville Road (that's the main drag leading from I-75 into downtown Sarasota). A little hoity-toity compared to Lenny's (see below) but superb food and nice atmosphere (inside and outside seating available). Expect to wait 30 minutes in ST (if weather is nice, asking for inside seating can shorten the wait).

For a local gem for seafood in Sarasota, try Kacey's, also on Fruitville Road near the I-75 interchange. No atmosphere, it's a storefront in a shopping center but damn the food is good and not expensive. If you're under 50 you'll be the youngest person in the place lol but it's all good (I am more of an "eat where the locals eat" than a "find me the famous restaurants" person).

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Someone here last year (maybe HelloNewman?) recommended Lenny's for breakfast - it was excellent. Place gets absolutely mobbed, so prepare to wait a little.
    That was me. Glad it worked out for you Boss

Thanks for the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I have had terrible experiences with Vivid. I will never use them again

Andy
    Thatís kind of unfair to just toss out an inflammatory comment like that without elaborating, donít you think? Iíve used Vivid, StubHub & Ticketnetwork for 8+ years and while neither is perfect, I think most would tell you Vivid customer service and common sense resolving issues tends to be a notch or two above that of StubHub. I would say 75% or more of the tickets listed on SH are also listed on Vivid and the prices are nearly always better on Vivid. Both have apps which make mobile buying easy. Itís kind of like comparing Coke vs Pepsi but if I had to choose between the two I would give Vivid the edge

Thread Information