+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

What are you reading 2018?

I'm 900 pages in to "Oathbringer". I really like Sanderson but these Stormlight books (this is the 3rd of a planned 10) are all too long.

I'm also currently listening to "Winter of the World" the second volume of Ken Follett's Century Trilogy. It's very very well researched and the way he weaves these 5 fictional families into the events leading up to and during WWII is amazing. He's still not the most prolific writer as his books read more like a manual than true prose, but I'm still enjoying this story.

Finally I'm doing a Breaking Bad rewatch and am following along with Sepinwall's "Breaking Bad 101" which collects all his episode recaps from the entire series, some re-written after the series completed.

Re: What are you reading 2018?

Iím one chapter into The Blood of Emmitt Till and Iím not sure how much more I can take. Gut-wrenching.

NYYF Legend

A History of the World in Six Glasses - Tom Standage

I've finished the Beer section and now onto Wine. It's an interesting if somewhat skewed view of how beer, wine, spirits, tea, coffee, and cola help shape human history and the importance or each.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I very seldom read books, but I was in a bookstore last night and got interested in the Philosophy section. Did some poking around today and ordered The Big Picture: On the Origins of Life, Meaning, and the Universe Itself. I've been getting bummed lately over the indiscriminate suffering of living things, especially humans, as a result of man-made and natural causes and events. If anyone has any recommendations on the subject I'd like to hear them.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I very seldom read books, but I was in a bookstore last night and got interested in the Philosophy section. Did some poking around today and ordered The Big Picture: On the Origins of Life, Meaning, and the Universe Itself. I've been getting bummed lately over the indiscriminate suffering of living things, especially humans, as a result of man-made and natural causes and events. If anyone has any recommendations on the subject I'd like to hear them.
    Here's a counterpoint that hopefully will cheer you up.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bet...780143122012#/

Believe it or not, today we may be living in the most peaceful moment in our species' existence. In his gripping and controversial new work, New York Times bestselling author Steven Pinker shows that despite the ceaseless news about war, crime, and terrorism, violence has actually been in decline over long stretches of history. Exploding myths about humankind's inherent violence and the curse of modernity, this ambitious book continues Pinker's exploration of the essence of human nature, mixing psychology and history to provide a remarkable picture of an increasingly enlightened world.

Reject Fascism

Reading the new Robert Dalleck bio ďFranklin D. Roosevelt: A Political LifeĒ. I will read anything about FDR as I love going to his home in Hyde Park, NY. Dallek has written many political bios including ďAn Unfinished LifeĒ which is about JFK.
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post

This is more of a psychology read rather than philosophy. We, as humans, can all decide to get along and end all wars and hostility towards one another, but kids will still get sick and die, and earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes etc. will still take innocent lives. Diseases that have no cures will continue taking their toll, and who knows what other suffering awaits us. What is the purpose of all of this? That's my issue.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    This is more of a psychology read rather than philosophy. We, as humans, can all decide to get along and end all wars and hostility towards one another, but kids will still get sick and die, and earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes etc. will still take innocent lives. Diseases that have no cures will continue taking their toll, and who knows what other suffering awaits us. What is the purpose of all of this? That's my issue.
    Depends on whom you ask. For me, the answer's easy: no purpose. It just is.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

how could anyone not see we are currently living in the most peaceful, non-violent time of our history?
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Bobby Kennedy - A Raging Spirit by Chris Matthews
    Really enjoying Matthews' perspective of RFK. Well researched.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

Reject Fascism

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    Bobby Kennedy - A Raging Spirit by Chris Matthews
    Really enjoying Matthews' perspective of RFK. Well researched.
    I have that sitting on my ďto readĒ pile.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Reading the new Robert Dalleck bio ďFranklin D. Roosevelt: A Political LifeĒ. I will read anything about FDR as I love going to his home in Hyde Park, NY. Dallek has written many political bios including ďAn Unfinished LifeĒ which is about JFK.
    I could spend a week at FDR's HP house. The library is incredible.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

Reject Fascism

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    I could spend a week at FDR's HP house. The library is incredible.
    I have. I decided two months before my transplant I decided that go. I ended up returning five times in next six weeks researching and touring the property. Right during peak fall foliage season.

I have two audible credits, not sure what to buy with them.

I have two audible credits, not sure what to buy with them.
    I donít know how long itís been since you read Huckleberry Finn, but their version of it read by Elijah Wood is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I donít know how long itís been since you read Huckleberry Finn, but their version of it read by Elijah Wood is fantastic.
    Cool. I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    A side note on Elijah Wood;
    At this point in his career, I am all in on anything he does that involves him being insane. He is awesome at it.
    In Cashman I trust.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    A side note on Elijah Wood;
    At this point in his career, I am all in on anything he does that involves him being insane. He is awesome at it.
    Did you watch Wilfred? I thought that was brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Did you watch Wilfred? I thought that was brilliant.
    I did. It was hilarious! Great show.

Dirk Gently is pretty entertaining as well. But that's more sci-fi shenanigans.
    In Cashman I trust.

NYYF Legend

Has anyone read Revival by Stephen King?

I'm about halfway through on Audiobook. I'm really liking it.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post

Yep. It's good. Not King's best work by any means, but a fun read. Ending's a bit wonky if you're not big into Lovecraftian horror.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post

I listened to it over two days when I was painting my living room. It's a good character study and pretty much King's thesis on religion.

I agree with Soriambi that the ending can be a little.....strange, but this is Stephen King after all.

Finished "Winter of the World" this morning. Not as good as the first one in the trilogy and I've heard the final volume is the weakest so I may even skip it altogether.

Now I got American Radical from the library. Looking forward to digging into it.
    https://www.amazon.com/American-Radi...erican+radical

The explosive memoir of a Muslim American FBI agent fighting terror from the inside.

Itís no secret that federal agencies are waging a broad, global war against terror. But for the first time in this memoir, an active Muslim American federal agent reveals his experience infiltrating and bringing down a terror cell in North America.

A longtime undercover agent, Tamer Elnoury joined an elite counterterrorism unit after September 11. Its express purpose is to gain the trust of terrorists whose goals are to take out as many Americans in as public and as devastating a way possible. It's a furious race against the clock for Tamer and his unit to stop them before they can implement their plans. Yet as new as this war still is, the techniques are as old as time: listen, record, and prove terrorist intent.

Due to his ongoing work for the FBI, Elnoury writes under a pseudonym. An Arabic-speaking Muslim American, a patriot, a hero: To many Americans, it will be a revelation that he and his team even exist, let alone the vital and dangerous work they do keeping all Americans safe.

Taking the advice of some of you from the movie thread after showing excitement about the upcoming movie, I’m about a quarter of the way through Ready Player One. Really enjoying it. I’m thankful for the recommendation!
    In Cashman I trust.

I finally finished Oathbringer - book 3 of the Stormlight Archive. I think it's the weakest of the three and had no business being 1,240 pages. It's still an entertaining story and even being book 3 of 10 has an almost contained story. Thankfully Sanderson is unlike George RR Martin and we won't have to wait 7+ years between books.

Next up is The Fleet at Flood Tide: America at Total War in the Pacific, 1944-1945

https://www.amazon.com/Fleet-Flood-T...+at+flood+tide

Thread Information