+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 76 to 100 of 100
  1. #76
    Not fooling anyone. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Has anyone read anything by Christopher Moore?


    (Sorry if I missed any past conversation)...
    I've read most of his stuff, or at least a significant portion.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    "I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

    RIP, Pete.

  2. #77
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Still under the unfinished breezeway

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I've read most of his stuff, or at least a significant portion.
    I suppose that means you like him.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

    Only words, and then your thoughts.

  3. #78
    Not fooling anyone. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I suppose that means you like him.
    I find him decidedly above average in a genre that doesn't really have many options. Full disclosure: I actually haven't read as much of him as I thought, and was combining him into the same person as Christopher Buckley, who I've read more of. Have you ever read Buckley? There's good reason I confuse the two, because along with both being named Christopher, they have a similar vibe. Also because I am, as always, a dope.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    "I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

    RIP, Pete.

  4. #79
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I find him decidedly above average in a genre that doesn't really have many options. Full disclosure: I actually haven't read as much of him as I thought, and was combining him into the same person as Christopher Buckley, who I've read more of. Have you ever read Buckley? There's good reason I confuse the two, because along with both being named Christopher, they have a similar vibe. Also because I am, as always, a dope.
    Was it Moore or Buckley who wrote, "Was this the face that launched a thousand ships/And burnt the topless towers of Ilium?"
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  5. #80
    Not fooling anyone. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Was it Moore or Buckley who wrote, "Was this the face that launched a thousand ships/And burnt the topless towers of Ilium?"
    I think that was Matt.

    (I might be the only person who gets that reference, and I'm fine with that.)
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    "I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

    RIP, Pete.

  6. #81
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Finished the Jon Meacham book which I highly recommend. Now on to “The World as it Is” by Ben Rhodes. Rhodes wrote many of Obama’s foreign policy speeches and talks about his time in the White House.
    This is on my list to read/listen to over the summer. Thanks for nudging it upwards on that list.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  7. #82
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Still under the unfinished breezeway

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I find him decidedly above average in a genre that doesn't really have many options. Full disclosure: I actually haven't read as much of him as I thought, and was combining him into the same person as Christopher Buckley, who I've read more of. Have you ever read Buckley? There's good reason I confuse the two, because along with both being named Christopher, they have a similar vibe. Also because I am, as always, a dope.
    I have not. I'll look him up. Thanks.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

    Only words, and then your thoughts.

  8. #83
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I find him decidedly above average in a genre that doesn't really have many options. Full disclosure: I actually haven't read as much of him as I thought, and was combining him into the same person as Christopher Buckley, who I've read more of. Have you ever read Buckley? There's good reason I confuse the two, because along with both being named Christopher, they have a similar vibe. Also because I am, as always, a dope.
    I've met Chris, and his father. Chris was in my class at college and I even dated his cousin, Lizzie Buckley. I think I've read two of his books and enjoyed them. I don't know why I haven't read more. I'll have to keep an eye out for some.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  9. #84
    Not fooling anyone. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I have not. I'll look him up. Thanks.
    If you like one I think you'll like the other. I have a feeling you'll like both.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    "I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

    RIP, Pete.

  10. #85
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Book 1 of what may be the most entertaining fantasy trilogy I've read, The First Law, is on sale today for $2.99.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._control_us-20

    Logen Ninefingers, infamous barbarian, has finally run out of luck. Caught in one feud too many, he's on the verge of becoming a dead barbarian -- leaving nothing behind him but bad songs, dead friends, and a lot of happy enemies.

    Nobleman, dashing officer, and paragon of selfishness, Captain Jezal dan Luthar has nothing more dangerous in mind than fleecing his friends at cards and dreaming of glory in the fencing circle. But war is brewing, and on the battlefields of the frozen North they fight by altogether bloodier rules.

    Inquisitor Glokta, cripple turned torturer, would like nothing better than to see Jezal come home in a box. But then Glokta hates everyone: cutting treason out of the Union one confession at a time leaves little room for friendship. His latest trail of corpses may lead him right to the rotten heart of government, if he can stay alive long enough to follow it.

    Enter the wizard, Bayaz. A bald old man with a terrible temper and a pathetic assistant, he could be the First of the Magi, he could be a spectacular fraud, but whatever he is, he's about to make the lives of Logen, Jezal, and Glokta a whole lot more difficult.

    Murderous conspiracies rise to the surface, old scores are ready to be settled, and the line between hero and villain is sharp enough to draw blood.

    Unpredictable, compelling, wickedly funny, and packed with unforgettable characters, The Blade Itself is noir fantasy with a real cutting edge.

  11. #86
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I have not. I'll look him up. Thanks.
    Thank You For Smoking, Boomsday and Supreme Courtship are all awesome. Supreme Courtship might be somewhat topically relevent right about now.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  12. #87

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    The daily racing form
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

  13. #88
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Book 1 of what may be the most entertaining fantasy trilogy I've read, The First Law, is on sale today for $2.99.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._control_us-20
    My second favorite series of all time, just behind A Song of Ice and Fire.

    Have you read the other books Abercrombie has written in that universe? All outstanding.

  14. #89
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    My second favorite series of all time, just behind A Song of Ice and Fire.

    Have you read the other books Abercrombie has written in that universe? All outstanding.
    I read Red Country and The Heroes. I liked Red Country and found the Heroes a little tedious but still well written.

    I hear he's writing another trilogy in the same world that will come out next year.

  15. #90
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I read Red Country and The Heroes. I liked Red Country and found the Heroes a little tedious but still well written.

    I hear he's writing another trilogy in the same world that will come out next year.
    Yep, I'll pre-order the day I'm able to. You should check out Best Served Cold.

  16. #91
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Currently reading: The Last Days of Night which is a historical fictional take on the fight between Westinghouse and Edison over who controlled the patent to the lightbulb.

  17. #92
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    I will be reading the new Doris Kearns Goodwin book. Going to meet her at a signing/discussion, followed by a reception at the FDR Presidential Library.
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

  18. #93

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I find him decidedly above average in a genre that doesn't really have many options. Full disclosure: I actually haven't read as much of him as I thought, and was combining him into the same person as Christopher Buckley, who I've read more of. Have you ever read Buckley? There's good reason I confuse the two, because along with both being named Christopher, they have a similar vibe. Also because I am, as always, a dope.

    I have read most of both authors' work, and they both make me laugh like hell. While I like Christopher Moore's books, I find him to be a poor man's Tom Robbins. Lamb is my favorite of his. Christopher Buckley is a brilliant satirist - I just picked up The Relic Master off a discount rack the other day and I am looking forward to reading it.

  19. #94
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Still under the unfinished breezeway

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    I have read most of both authors' work, and they both make me laugh like hell. While I like Christopher Moore's books, I find him to be a poor man's Tom Robbins. Lamb is my favorite of his. Christopher Buckley is a brilliant satirist - I just picked up The Relic Master off a discount rack the other day and I am looking forward to reading it.
    The Lamb is an amazing book. Somehow it is sacrilegious, religious, hysterical and thought provoking. On top of that, it's informative. I loved every minute of it.

    I read (listened to) A Dirty Job and am halfway through the followup - Secondhand Souls.

    Both are a riot, but way out there. Maybe not for everyone. Me being a bizarre human, they are for me.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

    Only words, and then your thoughts.

  20. #95
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Just started reading Dan Simmons' The Terror. I loved the TV adaptation earlier this year. Kinda shocked the novel is over 900 pages though.

  21. #96

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    The Lamb is an amazing book. Somehow it is sacrilegious, religious, hysterical and thought provoking. On top of that, it's informative. I loved every minute of it.

    I read (listened to) A Dirty Job and am halfway through the followup - Secondhand Souls.

    Both are a riot, but way out there. Maybe not for everyone. Me being a bizarre human, they are for me.

    I trust that you have read Tom Robbins, then. Also, if Moore is in your wheelhouse, I highly recommend Tony Vigorito. Just A Couple Of Days is a classic.

    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=3OEAWGDY27PZ5

  22. #97
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Still under the unfinished breezeway

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    I trust that you have read Tom Robbins, then. Also, if Moore is in your wheelhouse, I highly recommend Tony Vigorito. Just A Couple Of Days is a classic.

    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=3OEAWGDY27PZ5
    I have not... Thanks for the suggestions.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

    Only words, and then your thoughts.

  23. #98

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I have not... Thanks for the suggestions.

    Oh, man. If you like Moore, you will LOOOOOOOOVE Ton Robbins. I would start with Another Roadside Attraction or Skinny Legs and All. Fierce Invalids, Jitterbug Perfume, and Still Life With Woodpecker round out my top 5.

  24. #99
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    https://www.tor.com/2018/09/18/downl...-sept-22-2018/

    All the Birds in the Sky was one of my favorite books of 2016 and you can get it for free through Saturday at the above link.

    An ancient society of witches and a hipster technological startup go to war in order to prevent the world from tearing itself apart. To further complicate things, each of the groups’ most promising followers (Patricia, a brilliant witch and Laurence, an engineering “wunderkind”) may just be in love with each other.

    As the battle between magic and science wages in San Francisco against the backdrop of international chaos, Laurence and Patricia are forced to choose sides. But their choices will determine the fate of the planet and all mankind.

    In a fashion unique to Charlie Jane Anders, All the Birds in the Sky offers a humorous and, at times, heart-breaking exploration of growing up extraordinary in world filled with cruelty, scientific ingenuity, and magic.

  25. #100
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: What are you reading 2018?

    Finishing the Bob Woodward book “Fear” and my next book is written by an author I am meeting today, “Leadership in Turbulent Times” by Doris Kearns Goodwin. She is appearing at the FDR Presidential Library in Hyde Park, NY today.
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts