+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: What are you reading 2018?

Got this from the library. As with any short story collection, some are better than others, but it ties in so cool to the original film. You get stories told from the POV of the storm trooper that was duped by ObiWan (these are not the droids you're looking for), the bartender at the cantina, the "monster" in the trash compactor, etc. The audio book is read by a full cast which is fun.

https://www.amazon.com/Certain-Point...+point+of+view

From a Certain Point of View (Star Wars)

NYYF Legend

I'm slogging through Fire & Fury which I got as a gift and feel I need to read. Can't say I'd recommend it to anyone as great reading.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I read Stephen King's The Long Walk, one of his old Richard Bachman books, and thought it was on par with some of his best. I hadn't even heard of it until just before I read it.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

For a while now I've been collecting the mail-order Marvel hardback books ("The Official Marvel Graphic Novel Collection") that pick up 'classic' and important storylines and sell them to you for what is probably too high a price. When we moved house at the end of last year, packing them all up was a chore, and I realised that I hadn't read many of them. (Full list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Of...vel_Collection)

So I'm working my way through. I'm up to about 16 of 150+, so I've got a long way to go. But it's been very interesting. I was particularly impressed with "Wolverine: Weapon X" and Alan Moore's "Captain Britain" run, and the "Marvels" limited series was good too. I've got a few favorites to look forward to later. Some of the other books have been less fun, but it's getting me a nice nerdy background into the history of the franchise.

The only one I really couldn't concentrate on was the 2-book "Avengers: Forever" set, which just didn't hold my interest at all. Finished the first book, skipped over the second.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I read Stephen King's The Long Walk, one of his old Richard Bachman books, and thought it was on par with some of his best. I hadn't even heard of it until just before I read it.
    I read (had read to me) that one. I thought it was very good as well.

I was flipping channels yesterday and came across the movie The Dark Half. Based on the SK book. That one was ok, not great. The movie seemed pretty bad, though, I didn't stick around to give it much time.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

NYYF Legend

So far this year I've read (had read to me):

The MaddAddam trilogy (started in 2017) - Margaret Atwood
    The first two Dresden Files books (Storm Front and Fool Moon) - Jim Butcher
    The Heart Goes Last - Margaret Atwood
    Mrs. Fletcher - Tom Perotta
    Revival - Stephen King
    Alexander Hamilton (in a rare non-fiction foray) - Ron Chernow

Currently 90% through Razor Girl - Carl Hiaasen

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmania View Post
    For a while now I've been collecting the mail-order Marvel hardback books ("The Official Marvel Graphic Novel Collection") that pick up 'classic' and important storylines and sell them to you for what is probably too high a price. When we moved house at the end of last year, packing them all up was a chore, and I realised that I hadn't read many of them. (Full list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Of...vel_Collection)

So I'm working my way through. I'm up to about 16 of 150+, so I've got a long way to go. But it's been very interesting. I was particularly impressed with "Wolverine: Weapon X" and Alan Moore's "Captain Britain" run, and the "Marvels" limited series was good too. I've got a few favorites to look forward to later. Some of the other books have been less fun, but it's getting me a nice nerdy background into the history of the franchise.

The only one I really couldn't concentrate on was the 2-book "Avengers: Forever" set, which just didn't hold my interest at all. Finished the first book, skipped over the second.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    The only one of those I've read was "Marvels," and that was on a Kindle. It was very good indeed.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I very seldom read books, but I was in a bookstore last night and got interested in the Philosophy section. Did some poking around today and ordered The Big Picture: On the Origins of Life, Meaning, and the Universe Itself. I've been getting bummed lately over the indiscriminate suffering of living things, especially humans, as a result of man-made and natural causes and events. If anyone has any recommendations on the subject I'd like to hear them.
    Dragging this comment up from last month: I really enjoyed David Deutsch's "The Beginning of Infinity". (He has other books worth reading too, but this was my first Deutsch.) It has one of my favorite mantras for life:

1. Problems are inevitable.
    2. Problems are solvable.
    It's probably not for the deeply religious (or at least for those of a deeply religious bent who are not in the mood to be challenged), but it presents a very considered view of the universe. With a bonus of many-worlds hypotheses.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    So far this year I've read (had read to me):

The MaddAddam trilogy (started in 2017) - Margaret Atwood
    The first two Dresden Files books (Storm Front and Fool Moon) - Jim Butcher
    The Heart Goes Last - Margaret Atwood
    Mrs. Fletcher - Tom Perotta
    Revival - Stephen King
    Alexander Hamilton (in a rare non-fiction foray) - Ron Chernow

Currently 90% through Razor Girl - Carl Hiaasen
    What do you think of Dresden? They get significantly better as they move along, FYI.
    -Kevin

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    What do you think of Dresden? They get significantly better as they move along, FYI.
    Ummmmmmm...

I thought the first one was good. I was wishing I was done with the 2nd one about 2/3s through. I might revisit given your statement about them getting better. I started the series on your suggestion.

I think I'm going to tackle The Stand in March (I have a one year Audible subscription), that may take me through May.

I also have to "read" the last Brilliance book (Sakey), but I "read" the first two so long ago I'm unsure. That book "Written in Fire" is not stocked at either library I use for downloading, but Audible has it. I also actually bought that book... I just can't get myself to actually read though.

Ummmmmmm...

I thought the first one was good. I was wishing I was done with the 2nd one about 2/3s through. I might revisit given your statement about them getting better. I started the series on your suggestion.

I think I'm going to tackle The Stand in March (I have a one year Audible subscription), that may take me through May.

I also have to "read" the last Brilliance book (Sakey), but I "read" the first two so long ago I'm unsure. That book "Written in Fire" is not stocked at either library I use for downloading, but Audible has it. I also actually bought that book... I just can't get myself to actually read though.
    The second one is not great. I think they really start picking up about book 4 (though my book ratings on Goodreads indicate that book 6 is also a little weaker--tough to remember, as with a long series like that they kind of start blending in) and take off into another stratosphere around book 10.

I didn't like the third Brilliance as much as the first two, but it's still good.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

What's the premise of the Dresdin Files?

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    What's the premise of the Dresden Files?
    Urban fantasy. A wizard PI trying to make a living in modern day Chicago deals with increasingly complex scenarios involving a widespread, hidden in plain site, supernatural world. The first few are more standaloney, and then the series really starts building up bigger and bigger.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Larry McMurtry’s Lonesome Dove.
    "It was all I lived for, to play baseball"........Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Just finished having A Confederacy of Dunces read to me.

The reader did a terrific job. While cringe worthy at times, I found myself laughing out loud at other times.

Just finished having A Confederacy of Dunces read to me.

The reader did a terrific job. While cringe worthy at times, I found myself laughing out loud at other times.
    That book led me to formulate a rule of thumb: Sometimes "undiscovered classics" are undiscovered for a reason.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    That book led me to formulate a rule of thumb: Sometimes "undiscovered classics" are undiscovered for a reason.
    You have stated that a few times regarding this particular novel.

You have stated that a few times regarding this particular novel.
    It was a valuable lesson.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It was a valuable lesson.
    I found myself wondering if the novel would have been as funny had I read it.

It certainly wasn’t as funny when I read it.
    - Barry Manilow

It certainly wasn’t as funny when I read it as it was when you listened to it.
    - Barry Manilow

About 2/3 through book one of The Kingkiller Chronicle and I'm really enjoying it. Rothfuss has a way with prose that few authors do.

Currently listening to Mitch Landrieu's book "In the Shadow of Statues"

Reject Fascism

“Suicide of the West: How the rebirth of tribalism, populism, nationalism and identity politics is destroying American Democracy” by Jonah Goldberg.
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    About 2/3 through book one of The Kingkiller Chronicle and I'm really enjoying it. Rothfuss has a way with prose that few authors do.
    I'm reading The Slow Regard of Silent Things by him, same world totally different style and focus. It's a short read but I'm getting through it slowly for some reason.

I have almost as big a hatred for Rothfuss as I do Martin as it looks like both will be trying to see who can put off finishing their series longer. But both the Name of the Wind and the Wise Mans Fear were good.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Thread Information