+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: What are you reading 2018?

Over the past eight months I've been working my way through the Adversary Cycle/Repairman Jack novels by F. Paul Wilson, which is one big 21 book story that starts big, then slow burns its way to a fantastic finish. Very high recommendation for anyone who likes supernatural thriller/action/large scale good vs. evil type books. They definitely should be read in order.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I'm reading The Slow Regard of Silent Things by him, same world totally different style and focus. It's a short read but I'm getting through it slowly for some reason.

I have almost as big a hatred for Rothfuss as I do Martin as it looks like both will be trying to see who can put off finishing their series longer. But both the Name of the Wind and the Wise Mans Fear were good.
    Yeah, I know Rothfuss is dragging his feet, but the champion is still Martin who already said no Winds of Winter in 2018, but he had time to write a 980 page history of the Targaryans.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Over the past eight months I've been working my way through the Adversary Cycle/Repairman Jack novels by F. Paul Wilson, which is one big 21 book story that starts big, then slow burns its way to a fantastic finish. Very high recommendation for anyone who likes supernatural thriller/action/large scale good vs. evil type books. They definitely should be read in order.
    I saw that on goodreads, but couldn't find all the books. Do they go Adversary 1-6 and then 15 books of Repairman Jack?

I just got "The Heroes" by Joe Abercrombie from the library. Gonna be tough to get through it all in 3 weeks. Hopefully there's not another hold on it.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post

I saw that on goodreads, but couldn't find all the books. Do they go Adversary 1-6 and then 15 books of Repairman Jack?
    The first Adversary Cycle book takes place first and the last Adversary Cycle book takes place last. The 15 Repairman Jack novels and 4 other Adversary Cycles take place between those two. I personally read the first Adversary Cycle book first, then the 15 Repairman Jack books, then Adversary Cycle books 3, 4, 5, and 6, which I think is a good order to read them in. The 2nd Adversary Cycle book is Repairman Jack #1. The last Adversary Cycle book merges all the stories. You could probably read them a couple of different ways, but as long as you read The Keep (Adversary Cycle #1) first, Nightworld (Adversary Cycle #6) last, and read the Repairman Jack books in order, you should be fine. Adversary Cycle 4 happens 2nd chronologically, but can definitely be read later. The 3rd can be read at any time other than last. 4 should be read before 5. Shoot me a PM if you're having difficulty finding any of them or figuring out what order to read them in.
    -Kevin

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

The first Adversary Cycle book takes place first and the last Adversary Cycle book takes place last. The 15 Repairman Jack novels and 4 other Adversary Cycles take place between those two. I personally read the first Adversary Cycle book first, then the 15 Repairman Jack books, then Adversary Cycle books 3, 4, 5, and 6, which I think is a good order to read them in. The 2nd Adversary Cycle book is Repairman Jack #1. The last Adversary Cycle book merges all the stories. You could probably read them a couple of different ways, but as long as you read The Keep (Adversary Cycle #1) first, Nightworld (Adversary Cycle #6) last, and read the Repairman Jack books in order, you should be fine. Adversary Cycle 4 happens 2nd chronologically, but can definitely be read later. The 3rd can be read at any time other than last. 4 should be read before 5. Shoot me a PM if you're having difficulty finding any of them or figuring out what order to read them in.
    I actually read Repairman 1-15 first, then the Adversaries, going 1, 3,4,5,6. It was fine. I don't mind flashing back, I just don't like feeling lost because I missed something. That doesn't happen. Going back to The Keep was like a prequel.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I actually read Repairman 1-15 first, then the Adversaries, going 1, 3,4,5,6. It was fine. I don't mind flashing back, I just don't like feeling lost because I missed something. That doesn't happen. Going back to The Keep was like a prequel.
    Wow, you finished them all already? Didn't I just get you into the series pretty recently, or am I misremembering? I think what you're saying is fair enough. The 6th Adversary Cycle should definitely go last, but I guess 1 doesn't need to be first. I might also recommend reading RJ 15 and Adversary 6 back to back at the end. When I read 3, 4, and 5 before 6 I felt it was a bit too long of a break between the last one and the RJ story, but that's personal preference.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Wow, you finished them all already? Didn't I just get you into the series pretty recently, or am I misremembering? I think what you're saying is fair enough. The 6th Adversary Cycle should definitely go last, but I guess 1 doesn't need to be first. I might also recommend reading RJ 15 and Adversary 6 back to back at the end. When I read 3, 4, and 5 before 6 I felt it was a bit too long of a break between the last one and the RJ story, but that's personal preference.
    I went to Brazil twice this winter. One 7-hour flight, 2-hour layover in Ft. Lauderdale, then four hour to Newark.Those were great plane books. I could burn four books in one trip, easy. Do the math.

Nov 18 you got me into them: http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthre...=1#post8419803

so I was down there on my first visit. Three plane trips remained. Plus I was out in the Brazilian boonies with no TV or internet for a few weeks.

And yeah, I actually reread RJ15 before I went on to Ad6. Need to do those in a row.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

The second one is not great. I think they really start picking up about book 4 (though my book ratings on Goodreads indicate that book 6 is also a little weaker--tough to remember, as with a long series like that they kind of start blending in) and take off into another stratosphere around book 10.
    I took your advice and continued. Books 3, 4 & 5 were readily available at one of the Library's I have access to. All 3 were very good.

For some reason Book 6 had a waiting list of 15 people. I could not understand that. Perhaps because his job was to protect people on a certain type of movie set?

So I used one of my 12 Audible credits on that to keep the line moving. I'm on a waiting list for the 7th book... I'll wait that one out. The remainder of the series has little or no wait, so that's good.

Thanks for urging me on.

Just started Duma Key (by Stephen King). I'm guessing it will be a great story with tremendous character development that ends oddly.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I took your advice and continued. Books 3, 4 & 5 were readily available at one of the Library's I have access to. All 3 were very good.

For some reason Book 6 had a waiting list of 15 people. I could not understand that. Perhaps because his job was to protect people on a certain type of movie set?

So I used one of my 12 Audible credits on that to keep the line moving. I'm on a waiting list for the 7th book... I'll wait that one out. The remainder of the series has little or no wait, so that's good.

Thanks for urging me on.

Just started Duma Key (by Stephen King). I'm guessing it will be a great story with tremendous character development that ends oddly.
    12 Audible credits? They always tell me I can’t carry more than 6.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    12 Audible credits? They always tell me I can’t carry more than 6.
    I got a gift card for 1 per month for a year. I don't have 12 banked.

Thanks for urging me on.

No problem. Glad you're enjoying them. As I said, they keep getting better and better. My recollection of Duma Key is that it had a more satisfying than usual ending.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Reject Fascism

“The Soul of America”, the Battle for our Better Angels” by Jon Meacham. New book about times in history when strife and extremism took place and how we dealt with each. Used to give reference for today’s world.
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

Reject Fascism

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    “The Soul of America”, the Battle for our Better Angels” by Jon Meacham. New book about times in history when strife and extremism took place and how we dealt with each. Used to give reference for today’s world.
    Reposting as I am over half way through and really pertinent to today. Gives hope that we will regain our greatness

I finished Ken Follett's Century trilogy yesterday. I thought the first two were fantastic, but I had a ton of issues with the third. It was still pretty enjoyable but had a lot of flaws. Overall, though, the trilogy is very good.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

I finished Ken Follett's Century trilogy yesterday. I thought the first two were fantastic, but I had a ton of issues with the third. It was still pretty enjoyable but had a lot of flaws. Overall, though, the trilogy is very good.
    I thought the first one was masterful in the way he weaved the families together and the fictional characters into the real world events. The second one was a little more ham handed and pulpy. You're not the first person to say book 3 is the worst so I may skip it altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I thought the first one was masterful in the way he weaved the families together and the fictional characters into the real world events. The second one was a little more ham handed and pulpy. You're not the first person to say book 3 is the worst so I may skip it altogether.
    Might not be a bad idea given the length of the book. I never really got bored reading it, which is a definite plus for a book that long, but it's probably not worth it.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders is on sale today and it was a joy to read. I highly recommend it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...7260_287826140

Childhood friends Patricia Delfine and Laurence Armstead didn't expect to see each other again, after parting ways under mysterious circumstances during high school. After all, the development of magical powers and the invention of a two-second time machine could hardly fail to alarm one's peers and families.

But now they're both adults, living in the hipster mecca of San Francisco, and the planet is falling apart around them. Laurence is an engineering genius who's working with a group that aims to avert catastrophic breakdown through technological intervention into the changing global climate. Patricia is a graduate of Eltisley Maze, the hidden academy for the world's magically gifted, and works with a small band of other magicians to secretly repair the world's ever-growing ailments. Little do they realize that something bigger than either of them, something begun years ago in their youth, is determined to bring them together--to either save the world, or plunge it into a new dark ages.

A deeply magical, darkly funny examination of life, love, and the apocalypse.

Reject Fascism

Almost done with Jon Meacham’s “The Soul of America. The Battle for our Better Souls”. Great read. He discusses the multiple crisises our nation has faced. The point he made is that with very hard work and determination, we were able to recover. He states that if we work equally hard now we CAN do the same. Note his point is NOT that because we did it before we will do it again. Learned quite a bit of things I had never known.

NYYF Legend

Thanks for urging me on.

I really liked Duma Key. Wireman is a great character.

...and I just finished Stephen King's newest book - The Outsider. If you liked the Mr Mercedes series, you'll like this one as well.
    (Also, you should probably read that series before this one, not a requirement, but it will help)

Out of curiousity and my strangely specific predilection for presidential protagonist fiction, I read The President is Missing, a recently released collaboration between James Patterson and Bill Clinton. I also thought that maybe Patterson might actually write this one. It's completely absurd and predictable if you've read more than three thrillers, but it's not a bad turn your brain off page turner.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Reject Fascism

Finished the Jon Meacham book which I highly recommend. Now on to “The World as it Is” by Ben Rhodes. Rhodes wrote many of Obama’s foregn policy speeches and talks about his time in the White House.

NYYF Legend

Out of curiousity and my strangely specific predilection for presidential protagonist fiction, I read The President is Missing, a recently released collaboration between James Patterson and Bill Clinton. I also thought that maybe Patterson might actually write this one. It's completely absurd and predictable if you've read more than three thrillers, but it's not a bad turn your brain off page turner.
    I read it for similar reasons. I noticed some specific touches which I thought came from Bill, including some Clintonesque moralizing I could have done without. That aside, below average but readable. I am so over Patterson, that I'd say it is actually better than much of his work.

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I read it for similar reasons. I noticed some specific touches which I thought came from Bill, including some Clintonesque moralizing I could have done without. That aside, below average but readable. I am so over Patterson, that I'd say it is actually better than much of his work.
    Well, most (all?) of his work these days isn't actually his work. As I said, I suspect he actually wrote this one. If nothing else, if you assume Clinton was heavily involved in creating the characters, his creation of the character of the novel's President is probably something a psychologist could have a field day with.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Well, most (all?) of his work these days isn't actually his work. As I said, I suspect he actually wrote this one. If nothing else, if you assume Clinton was heavily involved in creating the characters, his creation of the character of the novel's President is probably something a psychologist could have a field day with.
    I’ll pass.

NYYF Legend

Has anyone read anything by Christopher Moore?

(Sorry if I missed any past conversation)...

NYYF Legend

Has anyone read anything by Christopher Moore?

(Sorry if I missed any past conversation)...
    My wife liked Lamb, Dirty Job, and You Suck if I remember correctly. He wasn't really my style.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Thread Information