+ Reply to Thread
    Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

RIP Good Boy Derby...Derby, Trenton Thunder's bat dog, dies at 9 of cancer

Derby, Trenton Thunder's bat dog, dies at 9 of cancer....

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...r-bat-dog-dies

(If you click the link ESPN did a great E:60 episode on Derby & his Father Chase who were bat fetching dog's for the Thunder...)

The Trenton Thunder, a minor league affiliate of the New York Yankees, have announced their bat-fetching dog, Derby, has died of cancer.
    "Derby was one of the biggest parts of our identity in the nine years of his life and it breaks my heart to share this news with our fans ahead of our 25th season," Thunder general manager Jeff Hurley said in a statement.
    The nearly 10-year-old golden retriever began gathering bats for the Thunder as a 2-year-old in 2010. Derby was the son of Chase, the Double-A affiliate's first professional fetcher. Chase also died of cancer, in 2013 at the age of 13.

Like Chase, Derby became a part of the Thunder's fabric, even serving double duty as a water carrier by bringing beverages to umpires on hot days.
    "His presence at our games and in the community was massive and every person and dog that interacted with him will miss him dearly," Hurley said.

Derby was a part of community outreach and was even immortalized with a bobblehead featuring him and Hall of Famer Reggie Jackson.
    Derby is survived by his son Rookie and daughter Mickie, both born in 2013. Rookie joined the family business in 2014 and became the Thunder's full-time bat dog in 2016.
    The Thunder announced they will host Derby Day on Jan. 26 -- Derby's birthday -- to celebrate the dog's life.
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......

NYYF Legend

Re: RIP Good Boy Derby...Derby, Trenton Thunder's bat dog, dies at 9 of cancer

Darn. I remember Chase, too.

NYYF Legend

If Rookie has been the bat dog since 2016 ... he's lost his rookie status, hasn't he?

R.I.P., Derby!

NYYF Legend

Slow day

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Slow day

Andy
    pointless and snotty

NYYF Legend

Sad news. That dog made a lot of kids happy. Grown ups too.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

NYYF Legend

He made me happy just looking at his picture!

Devoted Member

Derby had a more positive impact on the world than most people. RIP, Derby.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

My dog would grab the bat and then think about it, and ultimately tease the guys in the dugout as if to say, "You want this? Come and get it!"

RIP good boy!
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

Steiner working the phones to get some bats with Derby’s teeth marks.

I love dogs. Derby looks a lot like our Golden who passed away several years ago.

RIP Derby.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    They'll be selling $25,000.00 wrist watches made with real wood from bats chewed on by Derby.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post

I know you're being facetious but I understand that's one of the things that makes it difficult to train a "bat dog." You have to be able to get them to pick up the bat gingerly so they DON'T chip it. If you watch the ESPN video there's a moment where Derby keeps picking up and dropping the bat. He's trying to get a firm but gentle grip.

To the best of my knowledge the first team to attempt the "bat dog" concept was the Durham Bulls in the mid-'90s, they had a black lab named "Annie." When she was "in training" they had a doghouse/play area they would keep her in on the concourse, where kids could come visit and pet her. One of her handlers told me that she learned pretty quickly how to pick up the bat, but she wanted to put the doggie clamp on it, which chipped it. She never did learn how to do it right, so they instead taught her to take a small bucket of baseballs out to the umpire when new ones were needed.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post

I know you're being facetious but I understand that's one of the things that makes it difficult to train a "bat dog." You have to be able to get them to pick up the bat gingerly so they DON'T chip it. If you watch the ESPN video there's a moment where Derby keeps picking up and dropping the bat. He's trying to get a firm but gentle grip.

To the best of my knowledge the first team to attempt the "bat dog" concept was the Durham Bulls in the mid-'90s, they had a black lab named "Annie." When she was "in training" they had a doghouse/play area they would keep her in on the concourse, where kids could come visit and pet her. One of her handlers told me that she learned pretty quickly how to pick up the bat, but she wanted to put the doggie clamp on it, which chipped it. She never did learn how to do it right, so they instead taught her to take a small bucket of baseballs out to the umpire when new ones were needed.
    It's interesting that her name was Annie.

NYYF Legend

I was at Trenton on father's day for a DH and between games they played a great film about all their bat dogs that was narrated by Derby.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    It's interesting that her name was Annie.
    I always assumed it was intentional but never thought to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I was at Trenton on father's day for a DH and between games they played a great film about all their bat dogs that was narrated by Derby.
    The one that's in the OP's link?

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Was it closed captioned? I don't speak Arf.

RIP Derby. Go Rookie.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

The same is true for training retrievers for birds. You don't want dinner to be chewed to shreds by an overenthusiastic spaniel. A "soft mouth" is a virtue in the bird- hunting world. There was this foam training gadget that had little plastic points that would (gently) prick the dog's mouth if he chomped too hard. They got the idea quickly. I'm guessing bat dogs got the same training. It's no accident that Goldens are superior bird-dogs.

https://dogdiscoveries.com/retrievers-soft-mouth/

It's impressive to watch those dogs pick the best balance point on the bat for carrying.
    Last edited by theDurk; 01-11-18 at 06:13 PM.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Was it closed captioned? I don't speak Arf.

RIP Derby. Go Rookie.
    Derby spoke perfect English. Wonder if there is a place I could watch that film. A lot of fun.

NYYF Legend

Darn. I remember Chase, too.
    They have Chase's photo hanging with the retired numbers. Hope Derby get a photo too.

NYYF Legend

Derby spoke perfect English. Wonder if there is a place I could watch that film. A lot of fun.
    Again, was it the one that appears in the OP's link?

NYYF Legend

Again, was it the one that appears in the OP's link?
    Yes, the film is called "Family Business".

Thread Information