+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 94 FirstFirst ... 36 76 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2333

Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Anyone have a good scouting report on Delvi?
    http://riveraveblues.com/2018/08/dei...l-2018-176123/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jeter62375 View Post
    I found this article about him back in Jule '16 after his senior year at NC State:

Five NC State players were selected in the 40-round MLB Draft this past weekend, but you might be surprised to learn that power-hitter Chance Shepard was not one of them. Shepard led the Wolfpack in 2016 with 15 home runs. As a regular for the first time in his college career, he had a breakout campaign, hitting .279/.384/.558. He finished the season with 60 hits, half of which went for extra bases.

That's a solid year, but Shepard had two glaring issues working against him, from an MLB scout's perspective: his defensive shortcomings, and his inability to hit for contact.

At this point, Shepard has no position. He spent some time at catcher but mostly played at DH, and that is not an advantageous place to be this early in your baseball career. He's on the wrong side of the defensive spectrum, with nowhere to move, unless his bat can transport him to first base...

...and it probably can't. Shepard struck out 82 times in 215 at-bats this season, and that was against inconsistent and spotty college pitching. His power is undeniably great--when he put the bat on the ball this year, the ball went a long, long way. It's just that his strikeout rate is a significant red flag.
    I was going to ask how are his receiving skills but i guess the answer lies above .

NYYF MVP

Do we have any info on where Raimfer Salinas went, injury/visa process?

Additionally, between our three darling CF latin OFs, how do we rank Salinas, Pereira and Cabello in terms of potential?

Sheffield pitched the day game today, he is out now after five scoreless innings at 86 pitches. Maybe it's a hot day there (no idea) but it seems like they're trying to ration his innings a bit, which bodes well for him playing a part in NY down the stretch.

5 3 0 0 1 5, the only walk was his next to last batter, 80 pitches in.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Sheffield pitched the day game today, he is out now after five scoreless innings at 86 pitches. Maybe it's a hot day there (no idea) but it seems like they're trying to ration his innings a bit, which bodes well for him playing a part in NY down the stretch.

5 3 0 0 1 5, the only walk was his next to last batter, 80 pitches in.
    86 pitches, 51 strikes FWIW.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Wonder if there's any consideration for Ryan McBroom at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Phinstripes View Post
    Wonder if there's any consideration for Ryan McBroom at first.
    Do you know he is 7 months older than Bird? I think Mike Ford is ahead of him too and obviously Voit.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Do you know he is 7 months older than Bird? I think Mike Ford is ahead of him too and obviously Voit.
    Speaking of which, the last 20 games Ford has a wRC+ 176. Can we give the man a shot and send down the corpse of Greg Bird?
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Speaking of which, the last 20 games Ford has a wRC+ 176. Can we give the man a shot and send down the corpse of Greg Bird?
    Dan Vogelbach. GIVE-

NYYF Legend

Anyone have a good scouting report on Delvi?
    https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-in...?tid=151437456

Garcia is far from the most famous Yankees mound prospect -- though he did gain some notoriety with seven perfect innings on Monday -- but he's one of the best in the system at combining stuff and pitchability. He's one of what seems to be a countless supply of legitimate pitching prospects in New York's system.

The Yanks place a lot of stock in spin rates, and Garcia generates a lot of rpms on both his 91-96 mph fastball and his plus curveball. He also has feel for a fading changeup and continues to improve his control and command. Signed for $200,000 from the Dominican Republic in 2015, Garcia is having no trouble handling Class A hitters at age 19, logging a 3.10 ERA, 82/13 K/BB ratio and 82 strikeouts in 52 1/3 innings between two stops.

NYYF Legend

Speaking of Yankees prospects, I hope Joe Harvey gets a shot next year in ST to win a spot in the 'pen. Drafted in 2014, he has been injured a lot over the years, and is finally healthy and pitching very well. Not sure what his stuff is like anymore, but the stats don't lie.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ching/2018/ALL

He will be 27 before next season, and basically it's now or never.

One caveat: He is (I think) Rule 5 eligible, and I doubt he gets protested on the Yankees 40 man roster. That should make him a prime candidate to be picked, and I can think of 6-8 teams who have a dumpster fire right now in their pen, who could use him. The Yankees opponent tonight, Texas, being one of them. The Mets being another.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BomberBrian View Post
    https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-in...?tid=151437456

Garcia is far from the most famous Yankees mound prospect -- though he did gain some notoriety with seven perfect innings on Monday -- but he's one of the best in the system at combining stuff and pitchability. He's one of what seems to be a countless supply of legitimate pitching prospects in New York's system.

The Yanks place a lot of stock in spin rates, and Garcia generates a lot of rpms on both his 91-96 mph fastball and his plus curveball. He also has feel for a fading changeup and continues to improve his control and command. Signed for $200,000 from the Dominican Republic in 2015, Garcia is having no trouble handling Class A hitters at age 19, logging a 3.10 ERA, 82/13 K/BB ratio and 82 strikeouts in 52 1/3 innings between two stops.
    Thanks. Sounds like the stuff is legit, and it's not just a soft tosser with an advanced approach.

Next step: innings
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Keith Law - saw Sauer pitch on Monday night at Aberdeen and it seems that his stuff has -- at least for now -- backed up a little bit, to the point where it's hard to forecast him as a starter.
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/stor...essing-umpshow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    Keith Law - saw Sauer pitch on Monday night at Aberdeen and it seems that his stuff has -- at least for now -- backed up a little bit, to the point where it's hard to forecast him as a starter.
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/stor...essing-umpshow
    Has Law ever forecasted a Yankees pitching prospect to stick as a starter?
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    He was higher on Sheffield than most this year.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Have to agree with Law. Sauer is not throwing with the velocity he was touching last year and in spring.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

Quote Originally Posted by rpimpsner View Post
    Have to agree with Law. Sauer is not throwing with the velocity he was touching last year and in spring.
    Ok, so should we panic yet? Are we talking bust territory?

NYYF Legend

Thanks. Sounds like the stuff is legit, and it's not just a soft tosser with an advanced approach.

Next step: innings
    Something to keep in mind with Deivi - while he's been the spinrate king of the Yankees next wave and I'm in love with him, he's really small. He could fill out like Severino did, but he'd still be really short.

In the past 25 years, there have been only 12 pitchers listed at 5'10" or less who have made at least 50 starts. You can take your pick from Francisco Cordova, Marcus Stroman, Sonny Gray, or Mike Hampton for which one was the best.

Lets hope he grows another inch and we can add Pedro, Lincecum, Colon, and Cueto to that pool.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

I feel like it's all genetics. I don't get too excited until I see a guy pitch 120-150 IP in a season.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Nick Nelson last night: 6 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 11 K, 100 pitches, 70 strikes.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Nick Nelson last night: 6 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 11 K, 100 pitches, 70 strikes.
    Gotta love the K-BB %

Hopefully in a 7-10 days. From the article on Borrell:

"Eventually, they hope he'll be ready to pitch an inning in a game in mid-August."
    Yeah, I read the article and that estimate is why I bumped Dermis. Was looking for an updated ETA.

Will be cool to see how he fares.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Something to keep in mind with Deivi - while he's been the spinrate king of the Yankees next wave and I'm in love with him, he's really small. He could fill out like Severino did, but he'd still be really short.

In the past 25 years, there have been only 12 pitchers listed at 5'10" or less who have made at least 50 starts. You can take your pick from Francisco Cordova, Marcus Stroman, Sonny Gray, or Mike Hampton for which one was the best.

Lets hope he grows another inch and we can add Pedro, Lincecum, Colon, and Cueto to that pool.
    Well, I am not picking Sonny Gray, I know that.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I feel like it's all genetics. I don't get too excited until I see a guy pitch 120-150 IP in a season.
    The way things are going, that phrase might change to 120 to 150 pitches in a season.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Well, I am not picking Sonny Gray, I know that.
    Why not? He has the best stats of any Yankees relief pitcher in 2018, for the big club.

Thread Information