+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 104 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 64 ... LastLast

Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Rob;

I like what you are putting together. Here's my question. If I don't check your site for a week or so, will I find every article under "archives", or is there somewhere else to click?

Thanks.
    The archive is a one-stop shop. You can find all of our articles there. You can easily filter them by category and author as well as sort by different options.

I am working to add in some easier direct links for specific categories. I will be adding in the recent posts on the home page shortly as well.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    He almost has no chance to join the Yankees unless the Yankees part ways with D idi, let Tyler Webb go, and no other moves are made in teh next 2 years at SS to add an established guy.

I agree. Holder probably will get his best shot on a team that will trade for him.

IMO, Holder's the best pure shortstop in the organization. Additionally, there's a toughness/makeup to him that makes him for me a cornerstone player for a championship calibre club for the next decade+ or so. I wouldn't deal him at all. The dude's just now learning how to hit and I wouldn't rule him out as a 15-25 HR a year guy eventually. While all the big name prospects & Drury battle it out for 2B/3B in 2018, I'd leave Holder alone and let him go about his business (mostly) playing SS in Trenton and hopefully by mid-summer, Scranton. After the year, you evaluate where everyone's at. Didi was a great pickup and obviously provides everything he's been asked; probably more. Bottom line for me though: Holder's a better shortstop, younger, cost controllable for foreseeable future, etc. At the very least, this dude could easily be a roving/utility infielder type and play 3B, SS, & 2B as well or better than any of the "regular starting" guys should that be the role the club sees for him. They've got all sorts of other players/prospects to deal should there be a need. Holder? Like a said, imo, he's a keeper.

NYYF Legend

Rob, the site looks great.

My only recommendation is on the upcoming positional lists, go deeper than top 5.

Not sure how you were going to group them, but for say starting pitchers or outfielders it would be worth going at least 10 deep. Other spots 5 may suffice, but if it is a deep position talent wise with legit prospects donít hesitate to rank more.

Quote Originally Posted by BomberBrian View Post
    Rob, the site looks great.

My only recommendation is on the upcoming positional lists, go deeper than top 5.

Not sure how you were going to group them, but for say starting pitchers or outfielders it would be worth going at least 10 deep. Other spots 5 may suffice, but if it is a deep position talent wise with legit prospects donít hesitate to rank more.
    I don't have the lists in front of me right now but I think we have Top 5 starters, Top 5 relievers, Top 5 LHP, Top 5 RHP and the OF spots are broken down by position.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

Any updates on who's in minor league camp? Of the 218 players in the minors they usually have 160 at camp.Any of the dsl roster came stateside?

Quote Originally Posted by amilo26 View Post
    Any updates on who's in minor league camp? Of the 218 players in the minors they usually have 160 at camp.Any of the dsl roster came stateside?
    A lot. I won't have the roster until I get down there on Friday. The complex is closed to media until then.

Quote Originally Posted by rpimpsner View Post
    A lot. I won't have the roster until I get down there on Friday. The complex is closed to media until then.

Cool,cant wait to read and watch your coverage of it.Unfortunately a lot of players are gonna get released as there are far too many for the roster spots available.

Quote Originally Posted by amilo26 View Post
    Cool,cant wait to read and watch your coverage of it.Unfortunately a lot of players are gonna get released as there are far too many for the roster spots available.
    That remains to be seen. Last year we expected more releases then there was and they signed a lot more MiLB FA last year than this year.

Minor League spring training games begin this Friday
    https://pinstripedprospects.com/mino...-friday-30624/

Robert,

I hope you can get some injury updates on Abreu, Estrada and Acevedo. I know they said Acevedo is building up arm strength, but, it would be nice if he's pitching in actual games. The same with Abreu throwing off the mound and Estrada taking batting practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Robert,

I hope you can get some injury updates on Abreu, Estrada and Acevedo. I know they said Acevedo is building up arm strength, but, it would be nice if he's pitching in actual games. The same with Abreu throwing off the mound and Estrada taking batting practice.
    Will do, I'll be flying down to Tampa tomorrow afternoon and at the complex on Friday.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Robert -

Who do you see as the starting pitching at AAA to start the season, given that this group will become our major league pitching depth?

I assume Adams, Cessa and German at a minimum, but I am no sure whom else to list here. Lail?

We seem to have lost a lot of these starters from last season.

LTYF
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

A try at starting pitching -

Scranton: Adams - Acevedo - Cessa - German - Lail

Trenton: Sheffield - Carter - Swanson - Tate - Koerner

Tampa: Abreu - Keller - King - Perez - Stephan

Charleston: De Paula - Green - Garcia - Loaisiga - Vargas

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Robert -

Who do you see as the starting pitching at AAA to start the season, given that this group will become our major league pitching depth?

I assume Adams, Cessa and German at a minimum, but I am no sure whom else to list here. Lail?

We seem to have lost a lot of these starters from last season.

LTYF
    I see it as Adams - Sheffield - Cessa - German - Acevedo right now. Lail might be a sixth starter and bullpen-type guy.

AA I see it being:
    Tate - Koerner - Rogers - Widener - Swanson - Keller

Tampa I believe it will be
    Abreu - Perez - Green - Nelson - Loaisiga - Vargas

Charleston
    De Paula - Stephan - Otto - Orozco - R. Garcia - Alvarez

I see it as Adams - Sheffield - Cessa - German - Acevedo right now. Lail might be a sixth starter and bullpen-type guy.

AA I see it being:
    Tate - Koerner - Rogers - Widener - Swanson - Keller

Tampa I believe it will be
    Abreu - Perez - Green - Nelson - Loaisiga - Vargas

Charleston
    De Paula - Stephan - Otto - Orozco - R. Garcia - Alvarez

Who else instead of widener at Trenton?

Yogi Buck

Scranton is going to be fun to watch. The Line up should be incredible. Something like this if Andujar/Wade are sent down at the start.

1. Wade CF
    2. Torres SS
    3. Andujar 3b
    4. Frazier LF
    5. McKinney 1b
    6. Cave RF
    7. Higgy C
    8. Zehner RF
    9. Estrada 2b

1. Adams
    2. Sheffield
    3. Acevedo
    4. Cessa
    5. German (if he doesn't make the ny bullpen)

Top to bottom, all prospects, one of the best yankee AAA teams that I can remember.

Lail must have pictures on Cashman, never understood why he keeps getting so many chances and wasting space. Seems like he's been around forever but is still only 24. Maybe he bust out.
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

NYYF Legend

SWB should definitely be fun, but Wade is making the ML team and Cave is getting traded.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    SWB should definitely be fun, but Wade is making the ML team and Cave is getting traded.
    And........will Frazier be ready by opening day? Concussions are funny, in that different folks recover differently. He could be ready in a few days, or he could take 2 months.

NYYF Legend

I want to see McKinney still take most of his reps in LF. Area of need next season when Gardner's option isn't picked up, assuming we don't sign Harper.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Heyman was piling praise on the farm system on FanRag with many of the usual names, but Gilliam as a diamond in the rough. In the small write-up, he said that our Gilliam was from the same family as former Dodger Junior Gilliam. I hadnít heard that before.

NYYF Legend

I don't get why they named that site Fanrag.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Heyman was piling praise on the farm system on FanRag with many of the usual names, but Gilliam as a diamond in the rough. In the small write-up, he said that our Gilliam was from the same family as former Dodger Junior Gilliam. I hadnít heard that before.
    Armen Gilliam is more impressive IMO:

https://www.postandcourier.com/sport...678c672bc.html

Devoted Member

Nelson should be one of the starters at Tampa.

NYYF Legend

Awesome camp reports on lots of pitching prospects...

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-pip...?tid=151437456

Medina:

"Ceiling-wise, he's as good as it gets," said Borrell about the club's No. 7 prospect. "We're just going to try to keep him healthy and get him in the strike zone a little, and everything should take care of itself. We'll be conservative with him, hopefully we get 100-110 innings from him this year, and it really doesn't matter where he logs them."

Meanwhile, after an offseason in which he added 15 pounds, Medina has continued to make progress in developing his high-octane stuff this spring while performing well early in Minor League camp.

"In his second outing the other day," noted Borrell, "he struck out four guys in two innings and was 97-100 mph with his fastball, with a 90-91 mph changeup that had some bottom to it and probably a 55- or 60-grade curveball. He's special."

Freicer:

According to Borrell, Perez's mid-May breakthrough last season was largely tied to the introduction of a slider to an arsenal already comprised of a 95-100 mph fastball, an above-average changeup and a promising curveball.

"We incorporated the slider about five starts in last year, and that's when he started to turn the corner," Borrell said. "He's a guy who actually feels the difference between two pitches. We, as an organization, usually don't have guys throw two breaking balls at lower levels. But had the feel for both and we'll certainly keep doing that this year."

"He's a great athlete and repeats his delivery quite well," Borrell continued, "and he proved he could throw strikes in Charleston last year. We'll push him to the next level this year and hopefully he'll do the same thing."
    Deivi Garcia:

Listed at 5-foot-10, 163 pounds, Garcia doesn't come with as much pure stuff or physical projection as Medina and Perez, though neither perceived shortcoming detracts from his ceiling.

"It's a lot of arm speed from a high slot," Borrell noted. "Deivi's kind of small, but at the same time he doesn't pitch like he's 5-foot-10. It's a 92-95 mph fastball with a nice changeup and a curveball spin rate that approaches 3,000 rpms, which puts him among the top five percent in baseball. He just goes after guys with his fastball and gets a ton of swings-and-misses with it."
    Schmidt:

"Clarke looks great," said Borrell, "but we're actually trying to hold him back a bit just because he feels so good and wants to let loose. But coming back from Tommy John, we want to make sure he's 100 percent healthy. Come June, we'll let him loose, and he'll probably do the same stuff he did at South Carolina."
    Sauer:

"He sat 95 mph in his first two innings the other day, which is significant considering we're talking about a kid out of high school who was 92-94 mph," Borrell said. "He's spinning his breaking ball at a high rate and has just done a really nice job overall."
    Nolan Martinez:

"He's been up to 95 mph this spring, showing a plus curveball and a nice changeup," said Borrell. "We're trying to protect him, but at the same time we'll probably start letting him loose in the next year or so. All he needs is innings, and hopefully he can capitalize on those that we give him this year."
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Scouting report with a spin rate. Actual hard data, not an opinion. Progress.
    Calmer than you are

Thread Information