+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 1512
  1. #251
    Mustache NYDCYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Just Foul

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    From Keith Law's chat today. I found this amusing. Everyone thinks Law hates their team:

    BE: Do you find the “you hate my team” comments more amusing or irritating? As a Tigers fan, its amazing how much negativity I read about you, even though you spent 5 pages of Smart Baseball supporting Tram and Lou.
    Keith Law: Any fan, reader, or Twitter follower who accuses me of hating his favorite team is telling me one thing: He’s dumb. (It’s always men, BTW.) It’s truly a lack of intelligence – there’s no way I could do this job effectively if I carried actual biases against any organizations. And now, with nearly 12 years on the job, I have a sufficient body of work to point to positive and negative things I’ve said about every team. A bunch of Padre man-babies got all mad online because I said, repeatedly, that Trevor 28 WAR Hoffman was not worthy of being a Hall of Famer, and many accused me of anti-Padre bias, which 1) is silly as I’ve praised their farm system incessantly for two-plus years and 2) who the ................ would even bother to hate the Padres?
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

  2. #252

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    From Keith Law's chat today. I found this amusing. Everyone thinks Law hates their team:

    BE: Do you find the “you hate my team” comments more amusing or irritating? As a Tigers fan, its amazing how much negativity I read about you, even though you spent 5 pages of Smart Baseball supporting Tram and Lou.
    Keith Law: Any fan, reader, or Twitter follower who accuses me of hating his favorite team is telling me one thing: He’s dumb. (It’s always men, BTW.) It’s truly a lack of intelligence – there’s no way I could do this job effectively if I carried actual biases against any organizations. And now, with nearly 12 years on the job, I have a sufficient body of work to point to positive and negative things I’ve said about every team. A bunch of Padre man-babies got all mad online because I said, repeatedly, that Trevor 28 WAR Hoffman was not worthy of being a Hall of Famer, and many accused me of anti-Padre bias, which 1) is silly as I’ve praised their farm system incessantly for two-plus years and 2) who the ................ would even bother to hate the Padres?
    It’s the type of response I expected from that smug individual.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

  3. #253
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    You know the old expression, "If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into ******** all day, you're the *******"? That's what's going on here - Law even unintentionally confirms it by saying fans from every single team give him the business about hating their team.

    And he doesn't actually hate teams, the problem is that his opinions are constantly inconsistent, illogical, and/or incomplete, yet he rarely simply owns up and moves on. Because of this fans view him as a smug jerk, and interact with him as such. When called on these fallacies in his evaluations Law only has the capacity to respond with more snark and, coupled with his own poorly formed opinion on the player in question, gives the impression that he dislikes a team.

    Meanwhile the truth in all of it is that he doesn't hate the teams, he just hates the teams' fans that follow his work and respond to him antagonistically. But again, that's mostly his own fault for being so inconsistent in his prospect rankings and writeups.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  4. #254

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    Amen to every word of that, he reminds me a little of Bill Walton in that he takes positions he doesn’t necessarily always actually believe in order to draw more attention.

    Does anyone grade the prospect evaluators retroactively once we see how guys actually turn out? I’d be very curious to see that.

  5. #255

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Meanwhile the truth in all of it is that he doesn't hate the teams, he just hates the teams' fans that follow his work and respond to him antagonistically. But again, that's mostly his own fault for being so inconsistent in his prospect rankings and writeups.
    But isn't that more to do with prospects being a moving target? You make a judgement in March and by June, things could happen that completely flip what you thought in March.

  6. #256

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Amen to every word of that, he reminds me a little of Bill Walton in that he takes positions he doesn’t necessarily always actually believe in order to draw more attention.

    Does anyone grade the prospect evaluators retroactively once we see how guys actually turn out? I’d be very curious to see that.
    Right. His job isn't to provide expert and accurate baseball analysis to the public. His job is to make money for ESPN.

  7. #257
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    But isn't that more to do with prospects being a moving target? You make a judgement in March and by June, things could happen that completely flip what you thought in March.
    No, that’s not what he does. He’s inconsistent in a totally different way. Take Severino for example. Law’s position for years was that Sev would never be a starter at the MLB level because of his delivery (being all upper body). Then after Severino proved he could start at the MLB level and fans started calling out Law for being wrong, he started claiming that Severino is only having success as a starter now because he added a “power slider”. Law never mentioned Severino’s slider as being the issue when he was in the minors. That’s the type of crap that Law pulls.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  8. #258
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    But isn't that more to do with prospects being a moving target? You make a judgement in March and by June, things could happen that completely flip what you thought in March.
    My response to this is what it's always been: the whole point of prospect analysis is that it's a moving target, and if you are good at it your entire reason for success is accurately predicting/foreseeing those arcs. If it wasn't you'd just watch a few swings, review the stats, and make judgements like the majority of us on the internet. That potentially for development is literally the reason why teams employ armies of scouts - their reports on players are specifically trying to hit that moving target.

    Excusing inaccuracy from a prospect prognosticator under the veil of "prospect analysis is a moving target" is like excusing a down year from a star player on a 9-figure contract because, "hitting a baseball thrown close to 100 MPH might be the most difficult tasks in sports".
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  9. #259
    Mustache NYDCYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Just Foul
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    It’s the type of response I expected from that smug individual.
    Certainly true.

    My main reason for posting this question and response to hopefully cut off the cavalcade of posts from people in this thread early in the year from saying Law “hates” or is biased against the Yankees.

  10. #260

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    45 hit tool.. kinda a problem
    So if they arent seeing him a hitter, why is he being ranked so high? I havent seen him at all so Im just wondering. Is he all defense and speed? Or are they just saying since he is only 20 he will develop some kind of bat?
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

  11. #261

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    Of course folks who rate him highly see him as a potentially impactful hitter. The bat speed and power are there. He can hit fast balls. The hitting ranking here reflects his strike out percentage which in turn reflects his trouble with good breaking balls, as understand it. Also, he started playing relatively late. He is from the other side of the island, Haitian not Dominican, so some think there is a better chance for late development in learning to hit the good breaking stuff.

  12. #262

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Of course folks who rate him highly see him as a potentially impactful hitter. The bat speed and power are there. He can hit fast balls. The hitting ranking here reflects his strike out percentage which in turn reflects his trouble with good breaking balls, as understand it. Also, he started playing relatively late. He is from the other side of the island, Haitian not Dominican, so some think there is a better chance for late development in learning to hit the good breaking stuff.
    Thanks. Lets hope he works out because it would be nice to have a young cost controlled lefty in CF throughout this new movement.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

  13. #263

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    So if they arent seeing him a hitter, why is he being ranked so high? I havent seen him at all so Im just wondering. Is he all defense and speed? Or are they just saying since he is only 20 he will develop some kind of bat?
    The projection is that his tools will eventually catch up to his potential and allow him to improve.
    He's got issues as a hitter but it's the type of issues that guys that want to be great find a way to work out of and that is what most believe he will do eventually. Doesn't mean he will, just that they hope he will given his loud tools.

  14. #264

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    The most requested prospect profile of the last week is here.

    https://pinstripedprospects.com/pins...-wilson-29742/
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

  15. #265
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by rpimpsner View Post
    The most requested prospect profile of the last week is here.

    https://pinstripedprospects.com/pins...-wilson-29742/


    With all the interest in SP this offseason, one wonders if the Yankees shouldn't look to see what his stuff looks like. Of course, throwing a curve and laying one in on the post pattern are not exactly complementary to each other.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  16. #266
    News Breaker hairnovaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Halifax, NS.

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    Jim Bowden released his Top 50 Prospects at The Athletic this morning.

    Three Yankees made the list – Gleyber Torres at 8, Estevan Florial at 26 and Justus Sheffield at 35.

    https://theathletic.com/234581/2018/...s-in-baseball/

  17. #267
    Beer Snob 21stAmendment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Rutherford, NJ

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by hairnovaaa View Post
    Jim Bowden released his Top 50 Prospects at The Athletic this morning.

    Three Yankees made the list – Gleyber Torres at 8, Estevan Florial at 26 and Justus Sheffield at 35.

    https://theathletic.com/234581/2018/...s-in-baseball/

    Jim Bowden is their prospect guy? Gross.
    My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

  18. #268
    News Breaker hairnovaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Halifax, NS.

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    Yeahhh...I know.

  19. #269

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    Jim Bowden is their prospect guy? Gross.
    I like listening to Bowden on the XM's MLB Channel, but he's getting his prospect information second hand. The only time he sees these prospects in games is during spring training and the Future's Game at the All-Star Break.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

  20. #270

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    re: Keith Law


    Internet personalities are like Freddie in Nightmare 1. If you turn your back on them, they lose all their power. if you don't like Keith Law, you can ignore him. Then you can go on and read other people who reinforce your already held beliefs. That's the way to do it in 2018, baby.

    Teams have their own valuations on players so his opinion doesn't have any effect on your fav team's prospects anyway. so who cares? Based on the Yankees' history of high draft picks, they certainly don't follow that guy.

    re: Severino. Can we watch him start for a few seasons please? Fans should know that history's dustbin is littered with guys who could do it for a year. Is he going to stick in the high 90's for 3 more years? i sure hope so because pitching is hard.

    I know every time they bring up a kid SP who throws gas i get nervous. if that kid does well, my balls shrink up a bit more into my torso.

    Why? because the yankees raising and nurturing a long term starting pitcher comes around as often as Haley's comet.

  21. #271

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...shot-wound-hip

    Yankees prospect Thairo Estrada recovering from gunshot wound

    TAMPA, Fla. -- New York Yankees minor league infielder Thairo Estrada was shot in the right hip in late January during a robbery attempt outside of a restaurant in Bejuma, Venezuela. He's in big league camp and doing well, although limited to upper-body work at the moment. Manager Aaron Boone said the Yankees expect no long-term ramifications from the shooting.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

  22. #272

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    The Yankees have a new minor league infield coordinator in the person of Miguel Cairo

    https://pinstripedprospects.com/migu...dinator-29831/
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

  23. #273

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by rpimpsner View Post
    The Yankees have a new minor league infield coordinator in the person of Miguel Cairo

    https://pinstripedprospects.com/migu...dinator-29831/
    This should be interesting to watch how fast he moves up the ladder.

  24. #274
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Still under the unfinished breezeway

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...shot-wound-hip

    Yankees prospect Thairo Estrada recovering from gunshot wound

    TAMPA, Fla. -- New York Yankees minor league infielder Thairo Estrada was shot in the right hip in late January during a robbery attempt outside of a restaurant in Bejuma, Venezuela. He's in big league camp and doing well, although limited to upper-body work at the moment. Manager Aaron Boone said the Yankees expect no long-term ramifications from the shooting.
    Venezuela seems like quite a scary place to be.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

  25. #275
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Venezuela seems like quite a scary place to be.
    Venezuela has devolved into a third world country. Very sad.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 16 users browsing this thread. (5 members and 11 guests)

  1. rpimpsner
  2. jeter62375
  3. MylesThomas1927
  4. IrishYankee
  5. osuwarrior00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts