+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

Gleyber is mlb.com's top SS prospect for the 2nd straight year even though he will be at 2B in the Bronx shortly:

https://www.mlb.com/news/gleyber-tor...st/c-265065930

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Gleyber is mlb.com's top SS prospect for the 2nd straight year even though he will be at 2B in the Bronx shortly:

https://www.mlb.com/news/gleyber-tor...st/c-265065930
    Highest floor - Torres
    The approach at the plate, combined with the bat speed and off-the-charts makeup all make him as sure a bet as there is to perform at the highest level. Yankees fans could find out just how sure in the very near future.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Hi all, here is this week's edition of the Pinstriped Prospects Podcast. We got two versions for you, an audio version and the video version.

This week we had Taylor Widener on the podcast and our panel discussed the recent Top 100 lists and the pitch clock.

Video: https://www.facebook.com/PinstripedP...3289701363088/

Audio: https://pinstripedprospects.com/epis...t-lists-28963/
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

Money might not be the only thing stopping a reunion between the Yankees and Todd Frazier.

It could just be Miguel Andujar's time.

But there were some concerns about his defense. While he has the tools -- a strong arm, athleticism -- to excel at the position, there were times in which Andujar's throws would sail and when his consistency on routine plays was lacking.

Andujar and the Yankees worked hard to address the problems when he got called up in September. He worked nearly every pregame with then-infield coordinator Joe Espada.

Law said he took something to be a good sign. Andujar, Law said, has all the physical tools. It's his technique that needs improvement, and that's something that can improve with better coaching at the major-league level, Law said.

Law added that he believes Andujar will "hit, and hit with some pop."

"I was pleased to see those comments from Cashman," Law said, regarding the GM's statement that Andujar could be the Opening Day starter. While there was talk the Yankees could add a new third baseman, Law said, "but you've got one right here" in Andujar.
    http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...art_at_3b.html

I concur with Law on this one. I usually take Cashman's glowing prospect praise with a grain of salt. But his comments about Andujar seem legit. Seems like he was genuinely hugging Andujar this offseason.

Not that I can reasonably expect Andujar to turn out as well - but he feels very familiar to Robinson Cano to me. Both struggled somewhat early on in the minor league careers, had breakout offensive seasons at age 21 that really put them on the map, came up full time to the majors (potentially) at age 22 with questions about their defense. They even have a similar high contact aggressive approach with a some pop in their bats.

Maybe just me, but one could only hope Andujar turns out somewhat similar to what Cano turned out to be.

Yeah, I definitely could see similarities in their skill sets. And the circumstance is similar too. Cano was able to join an already packed lineup. Remember Murderers' Row and Cano. No pressure, just blend in rookie. Same thing for Andujar. And Torres too. Just blend into Sluggers Inc.

We are interviewing Canaan Smith tomorrow for next week's episode of the Pinstriped Prospects Podcast. If you have any questions you want us to ask him send them our way.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

NYYF Legend

No Yankees made the top-10 Pipeline OF.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    No Yankees made the top-10 Pipeline OF.
    While I would have loved to see Florial on that list, it's not suprising he didn't make it nor is it a sign MLB.com doesn't like him.

BA was pretty high on him at 38th overall and he was their #10 OF prospect. It's just a tough list to make along with RHP.

From Keith Law's just missed the Top 100 list.

NYYF Legend

You can't walk 10+% of the time and also have "HUGE" pitch recognition issues. Certainly not enough to drop you off a top 100 where other lists have the player ranked 38th.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

10 out of 10

The Trenton Thunder will rebrand the AA affiliate as the Trenton Pork Roll on Friday nights, beginning May 18.

Players will wear special uniforms featuring the pork-based product, which is known as Taylor ham.

Concessions will sell pork roll sandwiches, and pork roll-themed merchandise will be for sale.
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ming-pork-roll
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    It's taylor ham not pork roll
    My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    You're actually in the minority on that one.

NYYF Legend

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...divide_nj.html
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Charleston RiverDogs @ChasRiverDogs 8m8 minutes ago

Welcome to #TheJoe, Julio Mosquera!

Mosquera has been named the 18th Manager of the Charleston RiverDogs. Last season Mosquera was the manager for the Short Season Single-A @SIYanks leading them to a 46-29 record and a playoff berth.

Trump supporters clearly.
    My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

Trump supporters clearly.
    KLaw chat from earlier today: Always entertaining.

Q: Re: your Estevan Florial write-up Ė what are the chances you see him having an Alfonso Soriano-type career, where he has just enough plate recognition that his immense raw skills make him a good player, but is always frustrating because it feels like he could be a superstar if he laid off a slider in the dirt?

KLaw: Soriano was a hacker too, but I donít think Florial is even that advanced in terms of approach, pitch recognition, or overall instincts. Plus Soriano did play the middle infield for a while, not well, but that gave him some extra value. Again, Florial isnít a bad prospect by any means; he just has a long way to go.

Q: Hey Keith, I love your work and content. Quick question on Chance AdamsÖIt seems to be a consensus that he's not a top 100 prospect, but how would you value his upside and likelihood of reaching his potential?

KLaw: Fourth/fifth starter ceiling, likely reliever.

Q: Keith, I was a bit surprised to see Acevedo get so close to the list. Is the stuff that good even though he is a pure relief prospect?

KLaw: Stuff and control. Still think heís a reliever, but he has started with some success throughout the minors.

Q: I know you donít consider or worry about other rankings when you make your top 100, but what concerns you about Chance Adams, who appears to consistently be among the top 100 prospects on other rankings?

KLaw: Yeah, thatís a better question for other rankings Ė why a short RHP without a plus pitch or much fastball plane/life is a top 100 guy.

Q: Is there a decent chance Loaisiga and/or Tate make next yearís list if they continue building on what they showed in the second half of last season?

KLaw: A chance, yes.

Q: Marcus Stroman is successful, he's short, why can't Chance Adams be?

KLaw: Yes, all short pitchers are Marcus Stroman. Exactly. Willie Calhoun is my height. I would suggest you draft him for your fantasy team and not me.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jeter62375 View Post
    KLaw chat from earlier today: Always entertaining.

Q: Re: your Estevan Florial write-up – what are the chances you see him having an Alfonso Soriano-type career, where he has just enough plate recognition that his immense raw skills make him a good player, but is always frustrating because it feels like he could be a superstar if he laid off a slider in the dirt?

KLaw: Soriano was a hacker too, but I don’t think Florial is even that advanced in terms of approach, pitch recognition, or overall instincts. Plus Soriano did play the middle infield for a while, not well, but that gave him some extra value. Again, Florial isn’t a bad prospect by any means; he just has a long way to go.
    Soriano is a hard comp. His main time in the minor leagues was when he came over from Japan, he was already 23 by then.

His BB% in the minors were as follows:

GCL 22 PAs(4.54 BB%)
    AA 402 PAs (7.96 BB%)
    AAA 89 PAs (5.61 BB%)

Obviously, the levels aren't apples to apples, however Florial is 4 years younger than Soriano was. In his stops in 2017 he had a BB% of 10.5% and 10.3%.

How are the hell can you say Florial doesn't have the same pitch recognition or approach skills as Alfonso Soriano (career MLB BB 5.9 %)?
    Calmer than you are

I love it how Law goes on to give Soriano extra credit because he was a 2B(bad defender), yet implies that Florial is not a CF, which he is and projects to remain there in the future.

NYYF Legend

So Mosquera goes from SI to Charleston. Pat Osborne returns to Tampa where he was in 2016 after spending 2017 in Charleston. Jay Bell goes to Trenton from Tampa.

So Scranton is the only full season team to not announce their manager.

I would guess it will be Bobby Mitchell. He's been very good at Trenton the last 2 seasons.

NYYF Legend

How will Mitchell fare with the cold weather?
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    How will Mitchell fare with the cold weather?
    i see what you did.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    I love it how Law goes on to give Soriano extra credit because he was a 2B(bad defender), yet implies that Florial is not a CF, which he is and projects to remain there in the future.
    Yeah that didnít make sense to me either. CF is a premium defensive position. Soriano shouldnít get bonus points for being a ................ty 2nd baseman for a few years. Law is a douche.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by BomberBrian View Post
    So Mosquera goes from SI to Charleston. Pat Osborne returns to Tampa where he was in 2016 after spending 2017 in Charleston. Jay Bell goes to Trenton from Tampa.

So Scranton is the only full season team to not announce their manager.

I would guess it will be Bobby Mitchell. He's been very good at Trenton the last 2 seasons.
    Kardos says it is Mitchell.

Thread Information