+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

For the Yankees obviously Florial is the biggest issue with this, but throughout MLB I'm sure there are other teams with prospects from Haiti, right?
    I wonder what they are going to do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    For the Yankees obviously Florial is the biggest issue with this, but throughout MLB I'm sure there are other teams with prospects from Haiti, right?
    I wonder what they are going to do as well.
    I'm not sure that there are any others. At least not that are known. It's a difficult situation. There really isn't any baseball in Haiti worth talking about. Haitian prospects go the the DR where they face huge amounts of prejudice and discrimination if they identify as Haitian. That is also true of ethnic Haitians born in the DR like Miguel Sano (which is not his real name btw). The DR has stripped hundreds of thousands of Haitian Dominicans of citizenship even if they were born there and deported many. Florial lost a year after his initial contract was voided because he was using a false identity that his mother had given him to enroll him in school after they left Haiti. Many Haitians in the DR lack birth certificates and change their identity to avoid prejudice and consequently don't have the paperwork that MLB and the US require. It's complicated and ugly.

NYYF Legend

I'm not too concerned. MLB will work something out with the government in terms of visas.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I'm not too concerned. MLB will work something out with the government in terms of visas.
    Most likely but it may not be resolved by spring training. I remember Chuck Schumer intervening to get Tanaka's first visa expedited.

NYYF Legend

BA top 100 - Yankees: Gleyber Torres (6), Estevan Florial (38), Justus Sheffield (41), Miguel Andujar (59), Albert Abreu (77), Chance Adams (81).

NYYF Legend

Ronald Acuna doesn't walk enough to be #1. Coupled with a 400 BABIP. He doesn't belong there.

Over Ohtani? Seriously? Bae should be 2nd. I love Vlad Jr, but he just needs to do it at a higher level.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    BA top 100 - Yankees: Gleyber Torres (6), Estevan Florial (38), Justus Sheffield (41), Miguel Andujar (59), Albert Abreu (77), Chance Adams (81).

(64) Jorge Mateo
    (88) Dustin Fowler

..No Blake Rutherford who was #45 on BA 2017 list.
    My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

Keith Laws list is out as well, but behind pay wall. So if any one...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    Andj: 54
    Kap: 56
    Freicer: 73
    Abreu: 99

Andj:
    For all the hype Yankees prospects can get -- and all the complaining fans of other teams offer about this -- Andujar has avoided the publicity machine while quietly moving up the chain for the Bombers since he signed as an amateur in 2011.

He always has been a good hitter for contact but got a bit stronger and started making better contact in 2017, setting career highs in doubles, homers, and his triple-slash stats without an increase in his strikeout rate.

He has a rifle of an arm and has improved his footwork to the point that he should be an average defender at third. Perhaps the lack of hype is because other than the arm, Andujar doesn't really have a plus tool -- he does everything well, but nothing superbly.

I think he's no worse than a solid-average regular at third, probably a grade 55 at his peak, hitting around .300 with 15-20 homers, average defense and maybe a lower OBP than you'd like. The Yankees seem inclined to give him a shot to win the third base job this spring, and all signs right now are that he's ready to take it.
    Frecier:
    A 6-foot-8 right-hander from the Dominican Republic who signed for a pittance in 2015, Perez has leapfrogged most of the higher-dollar signings from the Yankees' huge international free agent class that winter and emerged as a potential front-line starter.

Perez pitches at 94-98 now and shows a plus curveball and projectable slider along with a changeup that he's still learning to use. His arm is loose and easy, while his delivery is clean but inconsistent, as if he's still growing into his huge frame and working on getting his coordination. There's a longstanding maxim in scouting about how very tall pitchers take longer to control their limbs and learn their deliveries, so the fact that Perez is already this good might be a huge positive sign.

I'd like to see him extend more toward the plate at release, but the bigger priorities for him are staying healthy and working on using all of his pitches. You can see a No. 1 or 2 starter in a best-case scenario while you'll also hear Dellin Betances comparisons because of his size - Perez is a better athlete, though - which gives Perez a nice floor as a high-value reliever.

Abreu:
    The Yankees acquired Abreu from the Astros as part of last winter's deal for Brian McCann. Abreu missed two months in 2017 because of shoulder soreness but came back strongly, showing some starter potential and a chance for three above-average pitches.

He pitches at 94-96 with a power curveball in the low 80s and a solid changeup in the mid-80s that has good action rather than deception. His arm action is short and he doesn't repeat it very well, but he's on line to the plate and seems athletic enough to learn some consistency in his arm swing, which should help improve his control and command.

Abreu needs to stay healthy, of course, but he has a starter's build and frame, and even has a little projection remaining. This is a nice league-average starter kit with very little pro experience to date, enough for the Yankees to dream on keeping him in the rotation for the long term.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

They only released 51-100, but in that group:

54) Andujar
    73) Freicer
    99) Abreu
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    They only released 51-100, but in that group:

54) Andujar
    73) Freicer
    99) Abreu
    I suspect Chance Adams doesn't make his list with Torres, Florial, Sheffield in the top 50.

NYYF Legend

I like that Freicer Perez ranking a lot. He deserves it with his frame, stuff, BB improvement, and IP from last season. Got stronger as season went on with a bumpy first month. K'ing batters over 9 last two months.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

BA gave Vlad Jr an 80 hit. C'mon now.

NYYF Legend

Solak comes in 5th in Pipeline's Top-10 2B prospects entering 2018.

NYYF Legend

(64) Jorge Mateo
    (88) Dustin Fowler

Kap also fell off?? Boy, injuries have sent his career off the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Kap also fell off?? Boy, injuries have sent his career off the rails.
    Kap was #87 on BA's list last year, so no surprise he fell off. Law has been more bullish on him ever since Yankees drafted him. He's still on his this year at #56.

(64) Jorge Mateo
    (88) Dustin Fowler

Jorge Guzman also made BA's list at 87.

Ronald Acuna doesn't walk enough to be #1. Coupled with a 400 BABIP. He doesn't belong there.

Over Ohtani? Seriously? Bae should be 2nd. I love Vlad Jr, but he just needs to do it at a higher level.
    I think you're not appreciating how good Acuna is. Being 1 or 2 on a top-100 prospect list is splitting hairs at this point. But I can't blame them for their Acuna acclamation.

His 2017 as a 19 year old:

high A - 135 wRC+
    double A - 159 wRC+
    triple A - 162 wRC+
    AFL - MVP (youngest ever to win it)

He actually got better with each higher level of play as a 19 yo. Can play centerfield and has one of the best outfield arms.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    I think you're not appreciating how good Acuna is. Being 1 or 2 on a top-100 prospect list is splitting hairs at this point. But I can't blame them for their Acuna acclamation.

His 2017 as a 19 year old:

high A - 135 wRC+
    double A - 159 wRC+
    triple A - 162 wRC+
    AFL - MVP (youngest ever to win it)

He actually got better with each higher level of play. Can play centerfield and has one of the best outfield arms.
    I appreciate it but it's one season with an unsustainable BABIP, and a poor walk rate. He won't have those numbers in the majors. He just won't. Look at Victor Robles.

Acuna is REAL good, but that doesn't make him better than a two way legend who has had professional dominance on both sides of the ball. I don't think it's splitting hairs. Not close for me. Ohtani is a lot safer bet.
    Calmer than you are

When a BB rate of 7% and a .400 BABIP is the only criticism for a 19 yo at freaking triple-A level, then he's doing amazingly well.

Add the dominant performance at the AFL, another evaluation tool, then I can see the justification for BA's choice.

NYYF Legend

When a BB rate of 7% and a .400 BABIP is the only criticism for a 19 yo at freaking triple-A level, then he's doing amazingly well.
    No doubt. I just don't think that makes him near Ohtani.

These ranking systems are whack. Acuna played amazingly well in the AFL, and won the MVP. Slash of .325/.414/.639 but STILL got outslashed by the Bae!

As Snatch mentioned, Vlad Jr has an 80 hit tool. Ranked 3rd in baseball. Hasn't played a game over A+. Really?

It's a lot of who is hot and who is not.
    Calmer than you are

No doubt. I just don't think that makes him near Ohtani.

These ranking systems are whack. It's a lot of who is hot and who is not. As Snatch mentioned, Vlad Jr has an 80 hit tool. Ranked 3rd in baseball. Hasn't played a game over A+. Really?
    I remember when BA rated Eduardo Nunez as the best defensive player in system or something along those lines. Misses happen. It doesn't mean the whole system is out of whack.

NYYF Legend

I remember when BA rated Eduardo Nunez as the best defensive player in system or something along those lines. Misses happen. It doesn't mean the whole system is out of whack.
    See edit. Added some more. It's not necessarily about misses. A lot of these ranking systems are more about 'what have you done for me recently?'

"I saw Acuna in the AFL. He played amazing at a super young age. I'm gushing. He's my number 1!"
    Calmer than you are

See edit. Added some more. It's not necessarily about misses. A lot of these ranking systems are more about 'what have you done for me recently?'

"I saw Acuna in the AFL. He played amazing at a super young age. I'm gushing. He's my number 1!"
    It wasn't just the AFL. Acuna barnstormed through 3 levels of minors, and concluded the year with the AFL MVP. It was based on a sustained level of play for the entire year at the ripe old age of 19.

NYYF Legend

It wasn't just the AFL. Acuna barnstormed through 3 levels of minors, and concluded the year with the AFL MVP. It was based on a sustained level of play for the entire year at the ripe old age of 19.
    One year of mL domance is not greater than multiple years of dominance in a professional league on both sides of the ball.
    Calmer than you are

Thread Information